Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I spent thousands to upgrade to a triple monitor 4k system driven by a 1080ti and all I play is WitP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gewehr 43 posted:

I spent thousands to upgrade to a triple monitor 4k system driven by a 1080ti and all I play is WitP.

Well yeah, that's the only game a 1080ti is going to play 3 monitors at 4k.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gewehr 43 posted:

On the other end of this I have a tiny laptop for when I’m away from my desktop but they’re functionally equally capable because most of what I’ve played the last month has been RtW.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Gewehr 43 posted:

It is a warcrime to _not_ play CMANO on that setup.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dimitris posted:

CMANO runs like absolute rear end at 4K resolution.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

MrYenko posted:

CMANO runs like absolute rear end at 4K resolution.

Isn't there some trick to fix this? I don't have 4k but I remember reading something.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There is a fix and for the life of me I forget what it is.

Every time I reinstall I have to go ask on the slith forums.

e: you go to compatibility settings for command.exe, click 'change high DPI settings' and then check 'override high DPI scaling behaviour'.

ps. but jesus christ it's literally a geoscape, Julian Gollop worked out how to do that in 1994. in tyool 2019 you are allowed to assume the user has at least integrated graphics you can lean on a little.

e2: this is also the thing that makes me really grumble about grognard devs. We are constantly told that grog game performance can't be compared to regular games because of the complexity of the background simulation that's being calculated. But for Command to be so very effected by a resolution change must mean that the front and back end of the game is tied together in a way that makes no sense to do at all

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 12, 2019

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Dimitris posted:

Give me a viable competitor to WitP and I will literally throw money at you. :colbert:

Seriously.

CMANO looks like a beautiful product and I'm really impressed with you guys. It's just that modern-era stuff just holds zero interest for me. All I want is WitP with modern UI and quality of life features.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Gewehr 43 posted:

Give me a viable competitor to WitP and I will literally throw money at you. :colbert:

Seriously.

CMANO looks like a beautiful product and I'm really impressed with you guys. It's just that modern-era stuff just holds zero interest for me. All I want is WitP with modern UI and quality of life features.

And a land combat model that makes sense

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alchenar posted:

There is a fix and for the life of me I forget what it is.

Every time I reinstall I have to go ask on the slith forums.

e: you go to compatibility settings for command.exe, click 'change high DPI settings' and then check 'override high DPI scaling behaviour'.

ps. but jesus christ it's literally a geoscape, Julian Gollop worked out how to do that in 1994. in tyool 2019 you are allowed to assume the user has at least integrated graphics you can lean on a little.

Ive done that, and it certainly helps, but time compression is still a useless slideshow unless you make the window smaller.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Gewehr 43 posted:

All I want is WitP with modern UI and quality of life features.

This would be amazing. The Matrix forums are pretty confident that it is never going to happen, though, which is a bummer.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Gay Hitler posted:

And a land combat model that makes sense

An excellent segue to a question that's been bothering me... I've got quite a few units holed up in Singapore and a roughly equivalent IJA force is parked at my doorstep. They keep doing deliberate and shock attacks, losing thousands of men in the process. Should I be doing something other than just sitting there with all my forces on defend/bombard? We've got enough supplies to last forever and the one or two times I mounted an attack my losses were pretty bad. Letting the Japanese grind themselves down seems like the best way to go. (?)

As an aside, when is it smart to use a shock attack vs deliberate?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

This would be amazing. The Matrix forums are pretty confident that it is never going to happen, though, which is a bummer.

Really? Why?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
World in Flames still doesn't have the full map for multiplayer and you ask why they're pessimistic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gewehr 43 posted:

As an aside, when is it smart to use a shock attack vs deliberate?

use shocks when you're winning deliberates handily

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

World in Flames still doesn't have the full map for multiplayer and you ask why they're pessimistic

Well we're getting WitE 2 aren't we? So why not WitP 2? WiF is by a different dev isn't it?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Pharnakes posted:

Really? Why?

All I've heard is that Gary Grigsby has said he wouldn't ever want to do something of the scope of WitP again. But, that doesn't stop another dev house from tackling it, I suppose.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
[...]

Dimitris fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 12, 2019

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

Ive done that, and it certainly helps, but time compression is still a useless slideshow unless you make the window smaller.

Park that thought for a while :)

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
EDIT: Never mind. Either you're in the trenches or you don't get it.

Dimitris fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 12, 2019

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Can someone running the beta patch for WitP share with me the version number their game shows in the upper right corner of the main menu? I *might* be running the release version from 2014. :( Mine shows 1.7.11.24 - Dec 25 2014.

Trogilus
Nov 3, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

Can someone running the beta patch for WitP share with me the version number their game shows in the upper right corner of the main menu? I *might* be running the release version from 2014. :( Mine shows 1.7.11.24 - Dec 25 2014.

1.8.11.26b - Sep 17 2016

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Trogilus posted:

1.8.11.26b - Sep 17 2016

Crap. Thanks. Wonder what savegame compatibility looks like.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If you are running the latest "official" version from Matrix then the beta patches are only DB tweaks and should be save compatible I believe.

Otherwise give up beating on the braindead AI and find yourself a pbem. Infact do that anyway.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Where are the beta patches available, and what do they change?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Pharnakes posted:

If you are running the latest "official" version from Matrix then the beta patches are only DB tweaks and should be save compatible I believe.

Otherwise give up beating on the braindead AI and find yourself a pbem. Infact do that anyway.

K, I don't think I am. I'll just keep running this version for now. I'll keep playing the AI for now, thanks. The tedium of the first move setup is way too fresh in my memory.

Bold Robot posted:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3185062

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pharnakes posted:

Seconding this. Even if they completely rock you, it’s a much more entertaining game. The AI really is that bad.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Seconding this. Even if they completely rock you, it’s a much more entertaining game. The AI really is that bad.

Noted, but no way am I going thru the initial turn setup and first three months of the war again any time soon. I might try a pbem scenario, but not for the GC.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Bold Robot posted:

Matrix forums, and they change a LOT. Basically one of the devs spent two years intermittently working on the 'beta' patches as a labour of love.

The 'beta' patches are basically where the game is at and the changelist is as long as your arm so too much to recount here. Also find the new scenarios that the dev 'Andy Mac' made to replace the defaults and add a brunch of new ones.

[E] come play me and/or join the Japanese side of my WITP LP they could use another player or two.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I also wish to play WITP:AE, perhaps multiple games at once as I hate myself and this thing known as free time. I already got one PBEM game planned and am brushing up on the manual again, its a good bedtime read.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

Steam version? If yes, have you taken the steps described here? : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1374061499 (section "Necessary Workarounds and Avoiding Technical Problems")

Asking because CMANO runs just fine on a 4K screen if set up right, which means there is almost certainly something wrong with your configuration.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Squiggle posted:

I have been very happy with Armored Brigade and CM: Shock Force 2 (since I never played SF1, I don't feel ripped off). SF2 is the first CM game I think I've made actual campaign progress in. It's a fun unbalanced kind of war, feels more puzzle-like.

Shock Force does seem like it would be the best CM game for beginners. Massacring hundreds of poor conscripts out in the desert with the US military would be a good way to learn the game. In the first mission of the Task Force Thunder campaign, it’s not too hard to beat it with zero casualties just by sitting back on the big berm and shooting the hell out of the enemy lines until they give up.

Then as you get better at the game it’s fun to start doing Red vs Red stuff or try to beat the US as the Syrians. There’s one scenario that starts with a Stryker platoon ambushed by insurgents in a built-up area, and the Americans have to hold them off until they can get rescued. That one is really fun to play as the insurgents, and see if you can rush in and kill all of the Americans before their reinforcements show up, then ambush their reinforcements and blow them up with your IED and RPG dudes.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Gewehr 43 posted:

Noted, but no way am I going thru the initial turn setup and first three months of the war again any time soon. I might try a pbem scenario, but not for the GC.

But the first 3 months is the best bit!

I also am getting a hankering to play WitP again but I'm about to move jobs and countries so I can't really commit yet. If I have time once my schedule has shaken down in a week or two I'm definitely going to want to start a GC though.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Pharnakes posted:

But the first 3 months is the best bit!

Filthy lies. Give me the 3rd Fleet and the Big Blue Blanket any day. I check the Ship Arrival screen about every 2-3 turns to see when then the first Essex arrives.

Good news: The guys at the official forums say I can upgrade versions without harming my current save. So, I'll do that and see how it goes.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does anyone know if updating WitP AE to the latest beta batch also updates the scenarios, or do I need to install the ones in this thread separately in order to have the most complete and up-to-date install? If the latter, are there any updated Quiet China scenarios available?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Does anyone know if updating WitP AE to the latest beta batch also updates the scenarios, or do I need to install the ones in this thread separately in order to have the most complete and up-to-date install? If the latter, are there any updated Quiet China scenarios available?

Updating scenarios in progress only work if they were saved to a slot higher than 30 before you started. Slots 1-30 are hard coded so that changes don't apply to savegames In progress IIRC, as an anti-cheating measure for pbem.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Gotcha, I'm looking to start a new game though and trying to figure out what exactly I need to upgrade.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The process to get the game to the latest state is Install game > Install official patch > Install beta patch > install scenarios from that thread.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thanks. I'll install these. Doesn't look like they ever made updated Quiet China scenarios, though - kind of a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Should be pretty simple to make your own. I'm pretty sure that all that changed was the AI scripts that control China were deleted so you could load up the editor, see what's missing from the quiet china scenarios and simply delete the relevant bits from the new scen.