Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Horace posted:

From 1984, an "illegal" cordless phone with a 1500ft range. "imagine walking your dog while talking on the phone".

The tl;dr of this million word ad is that the phone is way overpowered but legal to sell until the FCC finalise the regulations, so buy NOW.

Make it even easier for your neighbors to listen to your calls! Back in the early 2000's my mom bought a 900 MHz police scanner with the primary purpose of listening to phone calls. It was kind of amazing how easy it was. Just continuously scan the 900 band and there would generally be 1, 2, or 3 calls going on any any given evening time. I set up a PC to have continual recording so I could just hit a button to start recording 30-seconds earlier. Somewhere around here there's a hard drive with a bunch of those recordings on it (though the idea of listening to private calls is less fun at 30 years old than it was at 13)

I tried it off and on over the years and once 900 mhz phones went away, all you'd hear is the occasional elderly person that never upgraded. Eventually I started to hear cell-phone calls, but I was never clear if I was actually picking up a cell signal or if it was just people on cells calling a cordless house phone. Once or twice I got to hear an On-Star call from a vehicle, which was pretty weird.

I still use that police scanner today to listen to regular police activity (somehow my city never upgraded to a trunked system), but I haven't scanned the 900 mhz band in a decade. I'm sure nothing uses it anymore.

It's funny, if you look up Dak Industries, they're still using the same marketing technique on their products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I had a particularly powerful set of walkie-talkies in the mid to late 90s that picked up on signals from something (or somethings) that we could never quite figure out. Sometimes it would sound like EMS, sometimes CB Radio, and sometimes normal phone calls. Endless summer amusement for a couple 12 year olds, though.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

Make it even easier for your neighbors to listen to your calls! Back in the early 2000's my mom bought a 900 MHz police scanner with the primary purpose of listening to phone calls. It was kind of amazing how easy it was. Just continuously scan the 900 band and there would generally be 1, 2, or 3 calls going on any any given evening time. I set up a PC to have continual recording so I could just hit a button to start recording 30-seconds earlier. Somewhere around here there's a hard drive with a bunch of those recordings on it (though the idea of listening to private calls is less fun at 30 years old than it was at 13)

I tried it off and on over the years and once 900 mhz phones went away, all you'd hear is the occasional elderly person that never upgraded. Eventually I started to hear cell-phone calls, but I was never clear if I was actually picking up a cell signal or if it was just people on cells calling a cordless house phone. Once or twice I got to hear an On-Star call from a vehicle, which was pretty weird.

I still use that police scanner today to listen to regular police activity (somehow my city never upgraded to a trunked system), but I haven't scanned the 900 mhz band in a decade. I'm sure nothing uses it anymore.

It's funny, if you look up Dak Industries, they're still using the same marketing technique on their products.

Oh, wow you just jostled loose a memory! I went on a trip home one weekend with a girl in highschool (boarding school) and she was from this tiny town wayyy out in the delta and all her mom and her friends did all day was sit on the porch swing and call each other to gossip on their cordless phone or listen to the scanner in on everyone else's phone calls.

That and smoke meth.

mactheknife posted:

I had a particularly powerful set of walkie-talkies in the mid to late 90s that picked up on signals from something (or somethings) that we could never quite figure out. Sometimes it would sound like EMS, sometimes CB Radio, and sometimes normal phone calls. Endless summer amusement for a couple 12 year olds, though.

We had a baby monitor when I was a kid that suddenly started broadcasting my uncle's voice. He was taking gibberish but it was clearly him. He lived just down the street so we ran down to see what was up and our Aunt told us he was at work.

He was an air traffic controller. The baby monitor was picking up ATC.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

tactlessbastard posted:

He was an air traffic controller. The baby monitor was picking up ATC.

That's reasonable enough - ATC voice is AM and usually sits at 124-137 MHz in the US and baby monitors also use that band. Lots of stuff does.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wa27 posted:

Imagine recording something at 1x speed in TYOOL 2019

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

wa27 posted:

quote:

It’s a mystery. It may be a conspiracy. We may be being punished for the occasional sins of a few. Tons of Windows users have reported that they no longer have access to “Stereo Mix” or “What-U-Hear” on their computers. Since Windows 7, then in Windows 8, and now in Windows 10, we’ve lost our ability to record any sound we hear playing through our PC. I don’t know whether it’s a conspiracy or not, but I do know that it’s been super frustrating for so many music lovers like you and me.

But I record from Stereo Mix all the time? It's how I grab audio clips when I'm editing m'podcast.

Now, if your best solution for getting free music is "record it at 1x from Youtube, including every IM notification and Windows error sound", you might not be able to figure handle this incredibly complex process: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
My kids have a toy walkie talkie with a base station that picks up the school's bus radios. Dunno if it transmits on it haven't tried.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

The entire 1984 DAK catalogue is online here: https://archive.org/details/1984-Fall-DAK-Catalog. Phone modems, a pocket autodialler, a hands free console phone thing, a voice controlled phone. You've never seen so many gimmicky landline phones. There was also an answerphone with a very cool "toll saver" feature, which wouldn't answer until the third ring if you had no messages, so you didn't have to put any coins into the payphone.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
How come there was always 6-8 weeks of shipping?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

evobatman posted:

How come there was always 6-8 weeks of shipping?

6-7 weeks processing, 1-2 weeks shipping. The sales office might be far away from the warehouse, or the seller might be dropshipping poo poo to your door. Whole towns next to airports in the US are dedicated to the mail-order (and later as-seen-on-TV and dropshipping) business, with many tax exemptions for companies and their employees. Establishing a tiny warehouse/office in town for the distributor and having orders shipped "through" it might make delivery take a while, but you can save more than enough money in taxes to cut prices for the customer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

madeintaipei posted:

6-7 weeks processing, 1-2 weeks shipping. The sales office might be far away from the warehouse, or the seller might be dropshipping poo poo to your door. Whole towns next to airports in the US are dedicated to the mail-order (and later as-seen-on-TV and dropshipping) business, with many tax exemptions for companies and their employees. Establishing a tiny warehouse/office in town for the distributor and having orders shipped "through" it might make delivery take a while, but you can save more than enough money in taxes to cut prices for the customer.

I was under the impression the inflated processing/shipping times were also in place to make the most use of legally-allowed delays in order to place order funds into interest-generating accounts and wait to actually send product until the last possible moment.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Probably has to do with purchasing to pad it out to make as large a purchase order as they can to match the sales orders of a bigger timeframe.

Then sure, the idle money can make interest while they get better volume pricing if they can set it up like that and they don’t need it for operating costs or cocaine.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Laslow posted:

Then sure, the idle money can make interest while they get better volume pricing if they can set it up like that and they don’t need it for operating costs or cocaine.

Much like in banking, cocaine is the operating cost.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Don't worry, long range cordless phones aren't tech relics everywhere!

Wikipedia: DECT Standard posted:

The maximum allowed power for portable equipment as well as base stations is 250 mW. A portable device radiates an average of about 10 mW during a call as it is only using one of 24 time slots to transmit.

SENAO SN-6610 long distance 15KM cordless telephone posted:

Output power:base 6W / handset 1W

Speaking of scanners, it's probably come up before but WebSDRs are always fun for a bit, e.g. http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901. The closest you'll get to a phone call is in the amateur bands though.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Trabant posted:

Much like in banking, cocaine is the operating cost.
Especially in 1984. They probably got paid or paid out somewhere in the chain in kilos.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Everything about these is cool and good except the use of a display script typeface in all-caps here :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jerry Cotton posted:

I was walking down the street with a goon once and he stopped to talk to some guy and afterwards I asked him "who was that?" and he said "oh Purple Motion you know?" and I was like whoaa daaamn.

Also I almost gave DJ Gismo of Bumfuck MCs fame a few euros because he was sitting at a doorway and I thought he was a hobo begging.
This post blew me away so hard that I had to build up my courage to respond

Where was this? I assume in glorious Finland, particularly considering your next story, or was it in some sort of parallel Purple Motion-universe

I also laughed to think back to Bomfunk MCs. I infuriated a Finnish dude once long ago when I posted somewhere asking if anyone else had heard this awesome new German hip-hop track "Freestyler" (that is how I was introduced to it, I made no judgments on the accent myself)

Powered Descent posted:

"ha ha ha, good luck, meatbags"

That big silly atlas is in my new car now. Because hey, you never know. And paper never loses its signal.
I have needed the stupid atlas perpetually kept in my car precisely two times in like the last decade, but you better believe those two times I was excited I was not going to literally die in the middle of nowhere now that my GPS or phone had unexpectedly broken

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

This post blew me away so hard that I had to build up my courage to respond

Where was this? I assume in glorious Finland, particularly considering your next story, or was it in some sort of parallel Purple Motion-universe

I also laughed to think back to Bomfunk MCs. I infuriated a Finnish dude once long ago when I posted somewhere asking if anyone else had heard this awesome new German hip-hop track "Freestyler" (that is how I was introduced to it, I made no judgments on the accent myself)

Nothing glorious about Finland. I live in Finland Proper (as opposed to the Republic of Finland) which is where BinBum MCs originates from.

I and my goon friend who is much more knowledgeable about the demo scene bumped into Purple Motion on Yliopistonkatu in Turku (this city).

e: I'm pretty sure I know someone who know's Darude but I'm too drunk to think about it, sorry.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Powered Descent posted:

A year and a half ago, I went on a road trip to see the total eclipse that went across the US. We lucked out with a clear sky, and the eclipse was mindblowingly awesome. But immediately afterward came the infamous coast-to-coast traffic jam as a few million people all poured out of the narrow path of totality to go back home, along roads in rural areas that simply weren't designed for anywhere near that volume of traffic.

Ha. Somewhere I have a screen grab of a nationwide traffic map from google maps. You can clearly see a swath of red, coast to coast on all of the highways leaving the zone of totality. I will try to find it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jerry Cotton posted:

Nothing glorious about Finland. I live in Finland Proper (as opposed to the Republic of Finland) which is where BinBum MCs originates from.

I and my goon friend who is much more knowledgeable about the demo scene bumped into Purple Motion on Yliopistonkatu in Turku (this city).

e: I'm pretty sure I know someone who know's Darude but I'm too drunk to think about it, sorry.
Every time you post I learn things that I assume have to be lies but then turn out to be true (Finland Proper existing, whoa)

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Turku (this city).

How are things over at Moomin World?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farmdizzle posted:

How are things over at Moomin World?

A Russian couple once asked me how to get to Moomin World. When I told them I had no idea the man was all "oh you're not local". I told him I'm very local which is why I have no idea how to get to Moomin World. (Which isn't in Turku.)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Horace posted:

The entire 1984 DAK catalogue is online here: https://archive.org/details/1984-Fall-DAK-Catalog. Phone modems, a pocket autodialler, a hands free console phone thing, a voice controlled phone. You've never seen so many gimmicky landline phones. There was also an answerphone with a very cool "toll saver" feature, which wouldn't answer until the third ring if you had no messages, so you didn't have to put any coins into the payphone.

Man I burned so many hours reading DAK catalogs as a kid. I swear I remember that ILLEGAL PHONE ad too and was like Holy poo poo dad we must get this!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I actually had one of these and played Descent and Forsaken with it. At the time, I thought it was neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRqgszxZlg

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Inspired by the DIY electronics thread, in which I mentioned that I have a new oscilloscope and am currently shopping for an old CRT one for ... reasons. I have a problem with collecting old tech that is better suited as boat anchors these days, for example:

This is an old photo, since then I've got another small Selectric I (black, same width as the blue one here), a big Selectric I (beige) and a big Selectric II (green), as well as a few more manual models, both desktop and portable form factors (Everything shown here lives in a briefcase except for the IBM and the Royal in the left column, second from the top, I took them out for the photo because with the lids on they wouldn't fit on the table). The small Selectrics crapped out and I tossed them (or at least the internals, I kept the cases around for awhile for potential PC casemods but lost them during one of the moves since then) because gently caress trying to fix that. I've opened up a mechanical watch (Vostok Amphibian) and got it running again after a gear retainer broke and the gear fell off, but I took the case off the little blue Selectric, and NOPE. The black one was DOA (the steel belt that makes the golf ball spin around and do its thing was broken) but it was cheap and I wanted the case for a project I never got around to doing.

All the others work perfectly fine, and I use them to fill out forms whenever I'm handed a paper form that says "Type or print...", mostly the big Selectrics (even though I have to use a pair of circlip pliers to get the ball for my preferred typeface on and off because the little lever on top of the ball is broken off, but those keyboards and spinning golf balls are just so goddamn satisfying, clicky computer keyboards are a poor approximation of that feel) and the little black Remington-Rand* portable.

*More related to the electric razors than Remington guns, though both the typewriter and shaver companies were spun off from the arms company around a century ago, IIRC.

In other news, the grey Smith-Corona electric portable in the upper right corner has a key labeled "power-space" which does ... exactly what it says.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofOiDB36khU

Also, closeup artsy photo of the Selectric printhead, for those who don't know of it

It really is almost exactly the size of a golf ball. The little red moon is the handle of a tiny lever that I forget the function of, and don't have one of the machines handy to look at and remind me what it does.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Duet of the Broken Hard Drives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZGCp4ZowMg

UxWbill's channel is great, he's kinda rambly and long winded but he's a nerdy nerd. One of us!

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Inspired by the DIY electronics thread, in which I mentioned that I have a new oscilloscope and am currently shopping for an old CRT one for ... reasons. I have a problem with collecting old tech that is better suited as boat anchors these days, for example:

This is an old photo, since then I've got another small Selectric I (black, same width as the blue one here), a big Selectric I (beige) and a big Selectric II (green), as well as a few more manual models, both desktop and portable form factors (Everything shown here lives in a briefcase except for the IBM and the Royal in the left column, second from the top, I took them out for the photo because with the lids on they wouldn't fit on the table). The small Selectrics crapped out and I tossed them (or at least the internals, I kept the cases around for awhile for potential PC casemods but lost them during one of the moves since then) because gently caress trying to fix that. I've opened up a mechanical watch (Vostok Amphibian) and got it running again after a gear retainer broke and the gear fell off, but I took the case off the little blue Selectric, and NOPE. The black one was DOA (the steel belt that makes the golf ball spin around and do its thing was broken) but it was cheap and I wanted the case for a project I never got around to doing.

All the others work perfectly fine, and I use them to fill out forms whenever I'm handed a paper form that says "Type or print...", mostly the big Selectrics (even though I have to use a pair of circlip pliers to get the ball for my preferred typeface on and off because the little lever on top of the ball is broken off, but those keyboards and spinning golf balls are just so goddamn satisfying, clicky computer keyboards are a poor approximation of that feel) and the little black Remington-Rand* portable.

*More related to the electric razors than Remington guns, though both the typewriter and shaver companies were spun off from the arms company around a century ago, IIRC.

In other news, the grey Smith-Corona electric portable in the upper right corner has a key labeled "power-space" which does ... exactly what it says.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofOiDB36khU

Also, closeup artsy photo of the Selectric printhead, for those who don't know of it

It really is almost exactly the size of a golf ball. The little red moon is the handle of a tiny lever that I forget the function of, and don't have one of the machines handy to look at and remind me what it does.

That is so cool. Thanks for sharing! Neat to see those things all working (well except one I guess :) )

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Gonz posted:

I actually had one of these and played Descent and Forsaken with it. At the time, I thought it was neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRqgszxZlg

I saw the video yesterday and the idea seems pretty good, at least in theory. I'd really love to try that thing.

Though I imagine it must put some serious strain on the hands in a gaming situation where you have to take action quickly against enemies. Must be perfect for more calmer circumstances and for professional use, like CAD, as mentioned in the video.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vanagoon posted:

Duet of the Broken Hard Drives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZGCp4ZowMg

UxWbill's channel is great, he's kinda rambly and long winded but he's a nerdy nerd. One of us!

You can pretty much categorize every vintage tech youtube channel as "slickly-produced emulation of Techmoan or LGR", and "guy in his garage filming on DV tape, whose style hasn't evolved since 2008".

The latter category are some of my favorite channels out there. UXWBill can be a bit grating when he uses 5 times as many words than he should to say something, but his videos are comforting to watch. I think VWestlife has the same sort of feel without the rambling. He's my favorite channel of that type.

Lately I've been into AkBKukU's videos and they're great. Very well produced and informative. I'm surprised he doesn't have more subscribers.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Selectrics own - my mom still has a fully-functional one with a few golf balls in her garage. My first experience typing was on a Selectric, and I still judge keyboards by how closely they resemble in form and function a Selectric keyboard. Nothing quite replicates the thunk and then nice warm purr of turning a Selectric on and getting to work.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Inspired by the DIY electronics thread...

Can you link that thread please? I was kind of hoping there was one here so I could stop harassing people in the retro gaming thread.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm not about to try linking it with the awful app, but it's currently in the top 5 in the DIY forum, called something like "release the magic blue smoke: the learning electronics megathread".

edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Here's my Selectric and its balls:

It is a beautiful machine and I love it. It was sold to me as dead, but I got it working nicely. That was until recently, when it started making that 'cracked pulley' clicking noise, so it's out of action until I can muster up the energy to sort that out.

In the mean time I have an Olympia SM2 (x2), SM3, SM4, SM5, SM9 and a Splendid. Plus a Remington Quiet-Riter, so everything is going to be okay.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

That's a beautiful machine and I'm glad it has that happy little corner.

I thought I read once, though I can't seem to find it now, that because of the way the Selectric was designed, it could be plugged into a terminal and used as a printer. I hope it's true, because that's so cool.

edit:

quote:

"Selectric typewriters did, of course, become popular as data-processing terminals. Selectric typewriters were faster than any other low cost serial printer of the time, and the platen didn't move from side to side (which the Electromatic and Friden did) so it could more easily take continuous-feed paper.

IBM themselves introduced the Magnetic Tape Selectric Typewriter (MT/ST) in 1964. The tape cassttes could hold 25 kilobytes of data. A version with two tapes could provide mail-merge. Another version of the MT/ST could emulate an IBM 2741 terminal. There was a tape reader that could connect to an IBM 360 mainframe, so the Selectric could be used as a data entry terminal.."

https://mindmachine.co.uk/products/04_Manuf_IBM_Typewriter_01.html

an AOL chatroom has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Jan 22, 2019

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

The most amazing Selectric story is this one: https://www.cryptomuseum.com/covert/bugs/selectric/, In which the USSR spy on the US embassy with an ingenious bug.

quote:

A total of 16 devices were found inside typewriters that were in use during at least 8 years at the US Embassy in Moscow and the US Consulate in Leningrad.

The advanced digital bugging device was built inside a hollowed-out metal supporting bar that runs from left to right inside the IBM typewriter. It registered the movements of the print head (ball), by measuring small magnetic disturbances caused by the arms that control the rotation and elevation of the print ball.

Furthermore, the devices were remote controlled by the Soviets from outside the building. When the typewriter was turned ON, and the device was activated remotely, it sent its data via radio in short bursts to a nearby listening post.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Horace posted:

The most amazing Selectric story is this one: https://www.cryptomuseum.com/covert/bugs/selectric/, In which the USSR spy on the US embassy with an ingenious bug.

Cold War era bugs from either side always amazed me. If it existed, someone tried to put a microphone/camera in it. I think my favorite bug was The Thing which used early 50s tech to create a bug that only was active when it recieved a very specific frequency, making it extremely difficult to detect while in use and a potentially unlimited shelf life since it didn't rely on an internal power supply or conspicuous wires.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Slippery posted:

Man I burned so many hours reading DAK catalogs as a kid. I swear I remember that ILLEGAL PHONE ad too and was like Holy poo poo dad we must get this!

DAK is back, though Drew Kaplan isn't associated with it any longer. Still sells the same kind of overpriced poo poo and gimmicks.

https://www.dak.com/

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Don Gato posted:

Cold War era bugs from either side always amazed me. If it existed, someone tried to put a microphone/camera in it. I think my favorite bug was The Thing which used early 50s tech to create a bug that only was active when it recieved a very specific frequency, making it extremely difficult to detect while in use and a potentially unlimited shelf life since it didn't rely on an internal power supply or conspicuous wires.

And to think that nowadays everyone just willingly carries foreign-controllable cameras and microphones with them everywhere they go

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

So I was listening to Deltron 3030, and when the track The Assman 640 Speaks came on, I thought "hey, Assman 640 would be a good username", and I did a web search to see if there are already hundreds of people using that name, and learned that it's actually a dictation machine from the 1960s with a turntable. I didn't know such a thing existed, but I guess it explains how that track sounds - they must have used one.

Link: http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102668125

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

uli2000 posted:

DAK is back, though Drew Kaplan isn't associated with it any longer. Still sells the same kind of overpriced poo poo and gimmicks.

https://www.dak.com/

Oh awesome, thanks!