Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

Every so often I stop and think about how wonderful Tom Baker's cameo in Day of the Doctor is, and how people will probably try to figure out a way to "fit it in" somewhere but you really don't need to because gently caress it, it was the 50th so they got in Tom and God bless 'em for it :allears:

"If I were you.... oooooh if I were you... or perhaps I am. Or perhaps YOU are me? :haw:"

Or maybe it doesn’t matter either way. Who knows. Who.... nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I just remember watching Day of the Doctor and after all twelve THIRTEEN Doctors saving Gallifrey going oh poo poo there's like 15 minutes left what the hell else can they have for us?

If I could erase one thing from my brain so I could experience it again fresh, DotD is probably it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm so glad I forgot that Tom had said beforehand that he was in it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I mostly managed to avoid all spoilers ahead of time so I had no idea. Even if I'd read it though I probably would have figured it was Tom being Tom and just because he said it was no guarantee he'd actually be in it.

Ironically the one "spoiler" I did see that stuck with me was Peter Davison photographed outside the BBC holding up a sign protesting not being in the episode, which (of course) ended up being part of The Five-ish Doctors which was also brilliant.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember people (not here - I wasn't on SA at the time) going ballistic a full decade-plus ago at one scene of the Master as a child in season three finale.

I'm not opposed to having a backstory for the Master, but I hate this scene specifically because RTD has Martha lampshade the idea of dumb origin stories by asking "Is he your secret brother or something?" and the Doctor answering, "No, it's nothing so cliche as that, it's something equally cliche!"

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
https://twitter.com/LeeBinding/status/1083664647604060161?s=19

I never realised the TARDIS key used in the TV Movie was based on an earlier design. I always thought the key was emblematic of how Philip Segal & co. sometimes missed what to me is the point of DW (the sci-fi whimsy comes from it being a regular old house key and not an ornate space key*), but that's apparently not entirely fair (though it's still true).

* Seven gets a pass in this because it's Seven

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Forktoss posted:

I never realised the TARDIS key used in the TV Movie was based on an earlier design. I always thought the key was emblematic of how Philip Segal & co. sometimes missed what to me is the point of DW (the sci-fi whimsy comes from it being a regular old house key and not an ornate space key*), but that's apparently not entirely fair (though it's still true).

Huh. I don't remember the 3/4 design, which is weird, it would been up for 11 years worth of episodes. I like the simpler looking key, personally.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forktoss posted:

Fun fact: The production crew for the TV Movie bought that TARDIS key off 800-Trekker (a mid-90s geek stuff companies that sold through catalogues like Thinkgeek/BBTS do today), based off the 3/4th Doctor design, but slightly inaccurate, which is why it looks like that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Eleventh Doctor:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

Fun fact: The production crew for the TV Movie bought that TARDIS key off 800-Trekker (a mid-90s geek stuff companies that sold through catalogues like Thinkgeek/BBTS do today), based off the 3/4th Doctor design, but slightly inaccurate, which is why it looks like that.

I miss 800-Trekker. I bought sooo much Who stuff through them, including the first 15 BF releases.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One Tardis key scene I liked was in the 2011 Christmas special, where the 1930s housewife jimmies it open with a hairpin, a gag I liked a little less when it turned out to be just a regular old police box

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/sophilestweets/status/1083680004242894849

You could poke someone's eye out with that

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

the series 11 soundtrack (including Resolution) is up on all the usual services today

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That made me look up when they're releasing the Series 11 boxset and.... THEY'RE NOT INCLUDING RESOLUTION ON IT! :argh:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

That made me look up when they're releasing the Series 11 boxset and.... THEY'RE NOT INCLUDING RESOLUTION ON IT! :argh:

Sure, they always include the Christmas (/New Year's) special with the next season, don't they?

The only exception was "Time of the Doctor" not being included with season eight; it had a separate release alongside the other three Matt Smith Christmas specials instead.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I hold off buying any contemporary Doctor Who box sets until they release the Complete (Doctor portrayer) Years sets.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Looking forward to having to search for this individually on Amazon when doing a rewatch

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, they always include the Christmas (/New Year's) special with the next season, don't they?

In most cases, yes, which I almost always found annoying as the Xmas Special generally felt like an extension of the season just completed. It's doubly annoying this time since the New Year's Special aired like 3 weeks after the finale episode of series 11 did. At least in the past there was the excuse of,"We want the boxset out in time for people to buy it as a Christmas gift" but they didn't even have that excuse this time.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Probably stands out the most with Last Christmas and Twice Upon A Time, which are absolutely the finales of the preceding series.

Although thinking about it, Magician's Apprentice would still kind of work if you went to it straight from Death In Heaven. Still though

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Resolution comes out on DVD in Feb.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Resolution comes out on DVD in Feb.

It should come out on Bluray in a week or so bundled in with the season 11 boxset :mad:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 12, 2019

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

Eleventh Doctor:

Twelfth Doctor:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
No Series 10 soundtrack yet, though. :(

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder why they've been allergic to the middle 8 for the past several years...

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

TinTower posted:

No Series 10 soundtrack yet, though. :(

Seriously though. 11 soundtrack is great. But series 10 has some amazing tracks. I work to DW music so much. I want more!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I’m on to the Reign of Terror. I don’t much care for the scarlet pimpernel stuff but pretty much everything the Doctor does is great. Particularly when he dresses up as some senior revolutionary official.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Today I learned that Tom Baker was apparently very embarrassed about his performance as Captain Rum in Blackadder II to the point where he said he should have had his Equity card taken from him and cut up for it.

Furthermore, he apparently got on very poorly with Rowan Atkinson, who disliked the way he was playing the part, and skipped the episode's wrap party because he expected Atkinson was going to give him the cold shoulder the whole night.

I'm pretty disappointed to have discovered this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's nuts, Captain Rum is amazing.

"YOU HAVE A WOMAN'S HANDS! :cheers:"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Today I learned that Tom Baker was apparently very embarrassed about his performance as Captain Rum in Blackadder II to the point where he said he should have had his Equity card taken from him and cut up for it.

Furthermore, he apparently got on very poorly with Rowan Atkinson, who disliked the way he was playing the part, and skipped the episode's wrap party because he expected Atkinson was going to give him the cold shoulder the whole night.

I'm pretty disappointed to have discovered this.

Sometimes I get the impression Atkinson doesn't understand comedy at all, did he hate Rik Mayall when he chewed the scenery too? Blackadder was immeasurably improved when they threw in panto-of-the-week, just so he has something to react to.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYeCafn-uuk

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

ewe2 posted:

Sometimes I get the impression Atkinson doesn't understand comedy at all, did he hate Rik Mayall when he chewed the scenery too? Blackadder was immeasurably improved when they threw in panto-of-the-week, just so he has something to react to.

Probably why he hasn't done anything worthwhile since like 1992

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

The mystic powers of the YouTube™ Algorithm™ recommended a video to me where the (former) child who designed the Absorbaloff looks back on his experience. It was nice to hear he was actually super-jazzed to see it on-screen (and wasn't dissappointed by it not being the size of a bus as I've heard before) and wasn't too put off by the Absobaloffs of the world making fun of his childhood design. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk1osqIUNpo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I liked most (the last episode wasn't very good - unfortunately he only made four) of that new Maigret adaptation he did for the ITV a couple of years ago. Would've liked to have seen more; I believe it was very purposefully meant to be a replacement for Poirot and I'm surprised they didn't keep it going.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Is it just me or is "Me And My Mates" off the new soundtrack album Segun Akinola's attempt at doing a Murray Gold piece?

(Not a complaint)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The new series of Fourth Doctor Adventures are out today, and introduces his new companion, PC Ann Kelso

https://twitter.com/JaneSlavin/status/1085516331938693120

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1085510962206117888

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 16, 2019

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nobody talks about Planet of Giants but it’s one of my favourite Hartnells. It’s a fun story with charmingly terrible special effects.

I’m onto Dalek Invasion of Earth now which is also very cool and good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Not even The Curse of Fatal Death?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Has anyone read any of the Black Archive books from Obverse Books? My friend is writing the first 13th Doctor one, focusing on Kerblam! She's going to be discussing its messages (missed and otherwise).

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

The_Doctor posted:

Has anyone read any of the Black Archive books from Obverse Books? My friend is writing the first 13th Doctor one, focusing on Kerblam! She's going to be discussing its messages (missed and otherwise).

I've read quite a few and I love them, and I'll definitely be grabbing your pal's Kerblam! one whenever it drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

FreezingInferno posted:

I've read quite a few and I love them, and I'll definitely be grabbing your pal's Kerblam! one whenever it drops.

What are they like to read? Overly analytical like The Unfolding Text or actually fun explorations?