Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
You can literally change that in the settings for the mod.

It's the MISC section or whatever for it "when should pawn drop weapon instead of moving it to inventory" and set it to never.

They'll change weapons as needed from ranged to melee, etc and back and never drop either. Mods loving great.

Simple Sidearms is one of the best mods, and the only flaw it has is that pawns will always leave medical beds, even when injured, in order to attempt to retrieve their weapons if they were downed in battle and therefore dropped them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Oh man, I'm just dumb :(

I had a couple pawns that I didn't set up with a melee weapon for simple weight reasons or neglect and they were dropping their guns and fistfighting Raiders.

I didn't realize I'd have to do tedious things like read simple instructions what kinda bullshit is this.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 11, 2019

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I love the mod but always get annoyed when they leave medical beds to get their weapons. I also did not know you could change that!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Oh man I haven't even looked at the settings for mods. I've got a bazillion to tweak now lmao

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Simple Sidearms has a good variety of tweeks as well. Don't like the default configuration for what weapons you can sidearm? Change it. You can do it by weapon or weight, and maybe another thing that I don't recall. Or you can go free-for-all and give a pawn a doomsday, anti-material rifle, and a machine gun and roleplay Rambo!

edit: You've heard of elf on a shelf, now get ready for Mooseman with a Minigun!

Dunno what she has to be unhappy about. She just mowed down like 16 rhinos with a minigun, and only got headbutted once for the trouble.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 12, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I know y'all are sick of my image posting, but sometimes, Rimworld creates a legend. Meet Bôrien, the best gunslinger on the Rim, and steely-eyed missile-elf.

A psychic ship crashed about a day before the rhinos Dinosaur gunned down showed up, and I've been wondering how to deal with that. Well, 12 hours later (thanks Randy), a raid group of rather smart tribals show up from the north and west. The west group was slated to run right past the ship, which would be convenient. Except for one problem. I have no one in range to trigger the ship, and getting there before the tribals charge right by is slim at best. Enter our elf. A small river crosses this map, and to try and avoid the enemies while still getting close enough to tag the ship with an anti-material rifle, she crosses at the thinnest part. The tribals continue up the river to where she crossed, before attemping to cross themselves.

During this time, she sets up and takes the shot, triggering the ship. Mission accomplished, except for the 24 angry primitives about to surround her.

So she leads them back across the river, diving in and swimming across. She comes ashore to meet a few stragglers that hadn't crossed, deftly evading one of them as he attempted to lock her into melee. Pretty sure she shot him with her revolver for the trouble. Faster than the lot of them by far, she's home free, and dives across the sandbags into the bunker.

To recap, follow the maneuver outlined here. Cross the river at point one, shoot at point two then jump in, swim across to point three, and if you can make it to point four, you're home free! Try not to think about how mindbogglingly outnumbered you are.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Warmachine posted:

I know y'all are sick of my image posting
You:

A: Crop your images to sane sizes

B: Use timg

and anybody who complains is thus a tit. Keep posting they're good.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Complications posted:

You:

A: Crop your images to sane sizes

B: Use timg

and anybody who complains is thus a tit. Keep posting they're good.

A coworker showed me a screenshot program called Greenshot. Hit the button, drag the box around what I want, click "Upload to Imgur," and never stop posting. Much like Randy, who never stops sending raids at me.

24 hours. One psychic ship. One manhunter pack. One raid. One refugee chased by a raid.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That crash landing mod is loving brutal.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ShareX also exists!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Event number 4: Tribals chasing a refugee.

BLUFOR: 15 colonists
OPFOR: 92 tribals

Given how 24 hours of back to back ultraviolence can really tire out a colony, everyone is on edge at this point. Two of my fighters are barely moving from pain. Fortunately, a little big of Go-Juice can solve that problem. Only way to really do this is to force the tribals to funnel through a choke so that the 6:1 ratio is less bad. The front gate does fine for this, forcing them to pack into a tiny room and pretty much ensuring that every bullet fired hits at least one enemy mooseman. Strofin, a dwarf colonist, goes histrionic mid-battle, which I honestly can't fault him for after the last day of bullshit.

The tribals break at 61 of their number dead, with Dinosaur being the only of my colonists to go down. Even then, I suspect that is because they hosed up her legs so much she couldn't stand any longer. (10% movement, but not unconcious)

Hopefully now my pawns can take some time to clean up, burn bodies, and get some sleep. After all, it's still raining toxic ash outside.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Blufor and opfor are designations for training simulations, by the way

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Blufor and opfor are designations for training simulations, by the way

This is a video game after all.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Warmachine posted:

This is a video game after all.

Clever

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Fall out kills my poo poo every time. I cant last 7 days with it going on.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

RisqueBarber posted:

You need hydroponics, or enable more than 1 colony possible at a time and go form a new colony either abandoning the old one (after ripping up everything to take with you as you can) or keeping it minimally staffed for defenders while using the other colony as purely resource/food creation (not crafting).

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Ya transient hobo colony is great, you just need some animals to carry the expensive things, and most everything else you can simply build out of wood once you get to the new site.

I'm gonna type up a huge pain in the rear end event series now.

EDIT:

Feedback is good: Cut the timg's for straight links so people don't have to look/load images and poo poo if they don't want to?

Babbies First Mechanoid Ship Crash: Or How To Have Your Animals Taken Away From You

In this colony run, our intrepid colonists have been adventuring quite a lot, but usually on camp or item stash quests.
This is the first ship crash of any type they have had, and it is specifically a mechanoid ship crash. Surely this can be resolved with diplomacy. :awesomelon:

Our heroes set out to investigate, and take along some of the animals for their weekly walk.

We should probably take a look at what and or who is in the caravan:

But McGiggins, you cry out in rage, those are insects! They're almost impossible to tame! Correct! :eng101:
However, it turns out if you isolate one or more of the hives from an infestation or map event after beating all the bugs unconscious with uranium maces, you can wall it up, put in a food stockpile and some medical animal spots, and rescue the bugs. Not only does this train your doctors as they fix up said bugs, but they have a very small chance to auto-tame. The rest of the time you have your mace-equipped and tamed-animal backed handlers attempting to tame the bugs the normal way. After being knocked out, they are no longer hostile when they wake up, so tame away! If they aggro on tame attempt, they could get knocked out again, allowing you to rescue them again and heal them, thus further continuing your doctors skills and tame-on-heal chance rolls.

Once the hive is about to spawn again, you forbid the area to your nerds and nerdimals, the new bugs spawn, maintain the hive, and the whole beautiful process of domestication via skull-collapsing begins again!

Now, our heroes have arrived:
As a cool aside, with the giddy-up mod your nerds can ride insect cavalry! What are you waiting for, order yours today.

And we open the first room of the ship:
Shall peace prevail amongst the mechanical and non-mechanical alike?
It seems the mechs have been listening to our insect cavalry approach.
:legion:

But now our precious nerds and nerdimals are injured! We will simply have to set up base in the cleared room. Good thing we brought all that camping gear:

After deconstructing the ship core, we gain a malicious AI Persona! Pretty sure we can implant that in someones head somehow, so we're gonna select a prisoner to upgrade and release later. Also the bionic Spinosaurus...'s? have been injured, and we must wait until they are healed before we can rush the next room. This could be problematic, seeing as we will take wounds every single fight no doubt, and we have a time limit on our heads because reasons?

Back at base, several requested traders have appeared all at once! This slows the game down considerably, and they eat a ton of food! :argh:
Seeing as this started out as a Naked Surviver single pawn start, we didn't get power until late in the game, timewise. So the early solution to nightlights was to surround every colonist room and growing patch with healroot! Usually I'd do flowers instead for maximum overload of beauty, but goddamn did we need a shitton of healroot on hand early on. Now it just piles up in a storage room, and we stockpile it faster than it rots :( Looks really pretty though, and I think glowing healroot is a mod?

Aight, time is ticking, and animals is getting healed. A bit more set up, though the Deployable Tents never got around to being set up, nor were the camping beds. Anyway, time to open the rest of the rooms!

Sorting out the mech corpses, we're gonna need to disassemble them for parts later to feed the war machine:

A chem reactor! this is great news, seeing as our lightweight portable camp stoves and lights use chemfuel to work, and keeping exploding animals around is for chumps:

At the end of every fight, still need to rest and heal up, especially seeing as we had a few downed colonists due to mech fuel melting steel beams :911::

A friendly trader turns up, and stands with our heroes outside the next room. It's a bold strategy Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for them:

Not well. In any case, things turned out well for US, losing no colonists and suprisingly few animals for the amount of mechs we wasted.
Our stalwart survivors, the number of mechs able to be retrieved and the number of them we were able to actually carry home, accounting for all the other loot like uranium and the like we were also needing to take
We had to bring two more colonists, some more pack animals and all the prisoners from the base to meet up with the raiding party on the world map, and we STILL had to cut some centipedes from the take-home haul:

Not bad for a Savage Randy Brutal Start game :v: This is part one. The other I probably don't do unless someone asks for it is The Abandoned Base With A Dozen Vanometric Cells And The Multiple Subsequent 90+ Nerd Raids.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 12, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

RisqueBarber posted:

Fallout is why every base I make transitions to indoor farming with sunlamps. You don't necessarily need hydroponics since you can still plant in dirt that you've walled off, though hydroponics does give you a higher fertilization rate (at the cost of resources and a bit of power and solar flares being death sentences for your crops). Sunlamps do need a shitload of power but you can run one with two solar panels since they only need to turn on during the day. You'll want batteries for the full range of grow hours since solar ramps up and down but you can get by without it, especially if you're planting on naturally fertile soil.

When fallout hits you also should drop everything and go on a mass hunting spree because everything on the map is going to die shortly from starvation if not from toxic buildup. This includes slaughtering any livestock you can't afford to feed since you're going to have to move them indoors to keep them from toxic buildup, unfortunately Rimworld doesn't have zone assignments by schedule and the AI is too dumb to stay out of toxic zones.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
There is also that mod that allows you to make transparent roofing, which does basically break the game over your knee.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
One thing I forgot to mention is that sunlamp farming naturally leads to compartmentalizing your crops which is also effective for blight control as blight won't spread out of the room it starts in, even if you leave the door open.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Toxic Fallout is the most boring event in the game. It does nothing but force you into sunlamp farming and roofing everything off, it kills all the cool wildlife, and it can last two days or literal loving years.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I would agree except being forced to decamp and move to the next tile is a cool challenge.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've had good luck just leaving a few tenders while the rest of the colony fucks off to do overworld missions.

Like an item stash can be a good place to make some butcher tables and load up on food and berries for a week before moving on to the next. Eventually the fall out ends and you return home.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I've had good luck just leaving a few tenders while the rest of the colony fucks off to do overworld missions.

Like an item stash can be a good place to make some butcher tables and load up on food and berries for a week before moving on to the next. Eventually the fall out ends and you return home.

I've taken to moving my elephant herd off-map when this happens. Right now I'm having a bit of food trouble. My population has grown a bit fast, and I wasn't keeping an eye on my vegetable reserves.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Question: Is there a mod that lets you replace broken parts on animals with robotics? I couldn't find one.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I think it's called "a dog said"

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I've never gotten that. A dog said what, exactly? And what does that have to do with a bionic dog paw anyway?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

I've never gotten that. A dog said what, exactly? And what does that have to do with a bionic dog paw anyway?

My guess? You put a vocalizer on a dog and it can suddenly speak. Curiously, animal vocabulators are absent from the mod.

makes u think

But yes, bionic war elephants are my goal.

Edit:

Hey, so it turns out that clearing the area in front of your base for farmland, removing all of the cover, and then setting up bunkers in the mountainside is a GREAT way to win battles. And don't be cheap; spring for Plasteel walls. You'll thank me when they start bombarding you with missiles.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 13, 2019

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sten Freak posted:

Question: Is there a mod that lets you replace broken parts on animals with robotics? I couldn't find one.

There's a couple; A Dog Said is the go to, but I think the consensus is that it's a bit bloated like EPOE.

I'm personally using Lulu's Animal Cybernetics, which just makes it so that the standard prostheses are universally applicable (it also supports FSF's Vanilla Bionics Expansion)

On the other hand, if you like the added complexity, there's also Cyberfauna, which adds a bunch of additional stuff like augmentation chips to make animals better. I haven't tried that one.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

Toxic Fallout is the most boring event in the game. It does nothing but force you into sunlamp farming and roofing everything off, it kills all the cool wildlife, and it can last two days or literal loving years.

This is the only event I turn off. While it can be challenging to survive if it hits at a bad time, mainly it just means the map is going to look like poo poo for an extended period of time and there will be animal bones everywhere.

My current necromancer undead citadel game has reached an impasse. With 10 sword-wielding armored zombies under his command, the necromancer never really fears... anything. The most interesting event always is an infestation. I only have one smallish room that serves as my silver/gold vault that counts as infestable. When an infestation hits this room spawns wall-to-wall monsters and hives, and then one zombie holds the door and my necro casts "fog of torment" inside the room and fights the one mega/spelo in the doorway while everything strangles to death behind it. 50+ monsters, 1 zombie, 1 cast.

Then it's time to make the kibble.

I also started using Misc Robots this game and I don't know how I lived without them. Go, little hauler robot. Go across the map and get that chunk so my zombie doesn't have to.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I sent a 20-shooting, Deadshot trait pawn to an Annual Expo (More Faction Interaction mod), and got this result:

I... uh... this pawn rarely misses with her anti-material rifle. Were they actually using potato guns?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Warmachine posted:

I sent a 20-shooting, Deadshot trait pawn to an Annual Expo (More Faction Interaction mod), and got this result:
The mod is just totally random it seems.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Keeshhound posted:

There's a couple; A Dog Said is the go to, but I think the consensus is that it's a bit bloated like EPOE.

I'm personally using Lulu's Animal Cybernetics, which just makes it so that the standard prostheses are universally applicable (it also supports FSF's Vanilla Bionics Expansion)

On the other hand, if you like the added complexity, there's also Cyberfauna, which adds a bunch of additional stuff like augmentation chips to make animals better. I haven't tried that one.

Cyberfauna is the best one imo for the simple reason that it doesn't need patches for modded animals.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I wonder if I gave a giant spider or whatever 8 archaoe tech legs it would move so fast that it would break the game.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So yeah... turns out that having a beefy, expert melee pawn in good armor with Resurrection Psychosis can lead to some pretty bad situations. Dinosaur reacted pretty badly when I sent two pawns to arrest her before she left the colony.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

One nice thing about Psychology is that you can send your highest Social pawn to arrest people so it's not a pure 50/50 coinflip that they'll go on a rampage through your base.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Also, Artposting:

Bespoke revolver for my sniper's sidearm. Producing nuclear fuel rods is definitely something that should be engraved on the side of a revolver, but maybe she's just bitter?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Is there a mod that allows me to taunt enemy factions to get more raids or something, randy's being, surprisingly not randy this run.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
So the toxic fallout has kicked off. It's my first time with it so I'm gonna see how it goes but for future reference is there a way to disable events specifically once a playthrough has begun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Paramemetic posted:

So the toxic fallout has kicked off. It's my first time with it so I'm gonna see how it goes but for future reference is there a way to disable events specifically once a playthrough has begun?

Console command?