Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SciFiDownBeat posted:

everyone's talking about this tropixal freeze so I guess I'll give it a go when it goes on sale (lol)
Everyone's talking about how this game is one of the greatest video games ever created so I guess I'll buy it once it's $35 instead of $45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i will admit i have a bias towards Tropical Freeze because my wife's cool cousin worked on it. i keep forgetting to ask which levels she did at family events because she always has so much else to talk about.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

$35? Eh forget it then. $25 is more reasonable I think

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's not that great. I like it but. There's better platformers

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

It's not that great. I like it but. There's better platformers
:rolleyes:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I like it a lot but I still don't think I should have bought it for $60. I already had it on Wii U and I think it was on sale once or twice before I got around to replaying it

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I remain skeptical because I would rather play Meme Run at full volume than play any more DKCR 1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Meme Run is loving awesome.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

not sure what changed since I was a kid, but Donkey Kong controls feel weird to me nowadays. I’ll give Tropical Freeze a few more tries in the future tho since it’s clearly quality

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hell Celeste is like 10 dollars on switch and it's like if donkey Kong had SAD. Well worth the money

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

Hell Celeste is like 10 dollars on switch and it's like if donkey Kong had SAD. Well worth the money
:wtc:

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

not sure what changed since I was a kid, but Donkey Kong controls feel weird to me nowadays. I’ll give Tropical Freeze a few more tries in the future tho since it’s clearly quality

I tried to play smb1 the other day on a whim and it was like I had never played a video game before.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
why didnt tropical freeze include diaper kong from 3? why does nintendo continue to shut out abdl voices?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

HolePisser1982 posted:

It’s probably because we played less games for more time as kids

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

In Training posted:

Hell Celeste is like 10 dollars on switch and it's like if donkey Kong had SAD

Lmao

ahem, but in seriousness, mental illness is no joke. I'm going to have to ask you to take a time-out sir.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Frenz posted:

I tried to play smb1 the other day on a whim and it was like I had never played a video game before.

This is like me with Mario 64. I always expect it to play similarly to Sunshine, Galaxy & Odyssey, but it somehow feels really different.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

why didnt tropical freeze include diaper kong from 3? why does nintendo continue to shut out abdl voices?

Lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HolePisser1982 posted:

I started out using Funky Kong and I found I hated controlling him for whatever reason and DK was way easier to control imho so if you only tried using him give the other characters a whirl

Also change it so the L and R buttons aren't for using the vines. Try some different button combo for the entire game. I hate the defaults

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 11, 2019

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

funky was added for reviewers, not actual humans

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

elf help book posted:

funky was added for reviewers, not actual humans

And ADGQ participants

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

goferchan posted:

And ADGQ participants

spikevegeta is also not human

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I started out using Funky Kong and I found I hated controlling him for whatever reason and DK was way easier to control imho so if you only tried using him give the other characters a whirl

Also change it so the L and R buttons aren't for using the vines. Try some different button combo for the entire game. I hate the defaults

ive got the wii u version but ill try remapping the controls, god bless

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

In Training posted:

literally the entire plot of dkcr:tropical freeze is dk overcoming a crippling case of SAD

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

happiest guy youll ever meet

twisted f*cking SADpath

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

In Training posted:

elf help book posted:

lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Tim Rogers did a haters review of NSMB U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEJdn7jlh1I

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

Tim Rogers did a haters review of NSMB U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEJdn7jlh1I

I like the part where he says Shiggy should play Celeste.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The idea of modern day SMB level designers, employed by nintendo, making Celeste-tier designs, makes be go out to the nearest thrift shop to buy extra mesh shorts to blow loads through.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lmfao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEJdn7jlh1I&t=1673s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tim ROgers is a treasure.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

do you know what AAA game he was talking about that uses darkness with assassins creed towers or whatever

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
hes not wrong Re: Ghost Houses
and limbo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Milkman posted:

hes not wrong Re: Ghost Houses
and limbo

Ghost houses have been the worst part of mario since they were called Bowser Castles and it's impressive that they still exist

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Fortresses are cool and the occasional ghost house is cool but only like 2-3 per game tops.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

elf help book posted:

do you know what AAA game he was talking about that uses darkness with assassins creed towers or whatever

think its shadows of the damned

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

Idk. I know he was working At grasshopper during NMH1/2 era and then Sony Japan in the following years. But judging from his writing in that period everybody he ever talked to wanted him to work on a mobile game with lootboxes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

think its shadows of the damned

This makes sense

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Tim Rogers Lore. He has an account on SA I think. He should post in the Zone because we love him.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

In Training posted:

Tim ROgers is a treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Idk. I know he was working At grasshopper during NMH1/2 era and then Sony Japan in the following years. But judging from his writing in that period everybody he ever talked to wanted him to work on a mobile game with lootboxes

I believe there was a period where he was a freelance consultant, iirc from the Sims mobile game article he wrote