Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mike Duncan must have a new perspective on Parisian unrest eh? Wonder if it'll end up in the book in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1071127557431537665?s=19

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1071138264432685056?s=19

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I've started the french revolution part of Revolutions, and boy it's really good. I wasn't too enthused about Rome or the prior revolutions, but this is really top-notch.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

mike12345 posted:

I've started the french revolution part of Revolutions, and boy it's really good. I wasn't too enthused about Rome or the prior revolutions, but this is really top-notch.

I’m glad Mike Duncan ditched the 15 episode format for the French Revolution but it’s a shame that the previous revolutions were short changed. Maybe he will revisit them at some point.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Experiment posted:

I’m glad Mike Duncan ditched the 15 episode format for the French Revolution but it’s a shame that the previous revolutions were short changed. Maybe he will revisit them at some point.

tbh I just found them significantly less interesting than the French Revolution, as an American I've heard every possible American Revolution story or factoid that could be dredged up for a History Channel special or for a National Park tour guide to use and the English Revolution, while fun, was just a series of running battles that got tedious after a while.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I can't wait for 100 episode series on the Russian revolution

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

I can't wait for 100 episode series on the Russian revolution

unironically this

the only question is where do you end it, when Stalin takes power, the death of Stalin or the dissolution of the Soviet Union?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

unironically this

the only question is where do you end it, when Stalin takes power, the death of Stalin or the dissolution of the Soviet Union?

Not the last, without a doubt. Mike Duncan only had the steam to make it to Romulus Agustulus, not the fall of Constantinople.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

AnEdgelord posted:

unironically this

I'd say the end of the civil war or the death of Lenin. Maybe Trotsky's departure and Stalin's full consolidation, at the absolute latest.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is no way the Russian revolution gets to the 30s

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I could see him having a final big picture episodes that overview beyond the stopping date.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
He can do what the our fake history guy did every time it got interesting and refer people to the eastern border podcast

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

End it with Yeltsin standing on the tank.

The revolution never stopped before then, comrades.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cockblocktopus posted:

End it with Yeltsin standing on the tank.

The revolution never stopped before then, comrades.

End it at the present day, the struggle isn't over.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The End of the Russian Revolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgm14D1jHUw

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

wtf lol

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

The dollop retweeted this, sounds interesting, haven't checked it out yet

https://twitter.com/historic_ly/status/1075925530195709955

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cool, I queued it up, thanks for sharing.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Three years after Trump cut a Pizza Hut commercial :hmmyes:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This Historic.ly podcast has an interesting theme (first episode is a FBI whistleblower on post 9/11 FBI) but the production suffers from both poor quality and bad decisions (music over everything).

Edit: I dont mean musical beats at transitions, I mean literally adagio for strings playing in the background on loop.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 27, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Look what dropped out of the sky today

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1083899801828085760

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I was just thinking the other day that I was last listening to Super Nova in the East part 1 while mowing my lawn back in the summer.

Good to know Dan is still alive.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yikes that’s the most gaudy cover art ever. The more I look at it, the worse it gets. But much like episode 1 I’ll probably listen to it 3 times :v:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Hell yeah caught up on Behind the Bastards today and needed something new :swoon:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
14 hours of flights coming up on Tuesday, perfect timing :coal:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

buglord posted:

Yikes that’s the most gaudy cover art ever.

I thought I was in a video game thread for a second :v:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is that the last part?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is that the last part?

Nope. He said after this one it's going to be mostly combat until '45 so it should be more straightforward, but I wouldn't be on part three being the last one either.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

buglord posted:

Yikes that’s the most gaudy cover art ever. The more I look at it, the worse it gets. But much like episode 1 I’ll probably listen to it 3 times :v:

His cover art is all incredibly bad and I kind of love it. Destroyer of Worlds is the album cover of the hardest core metal band at the Little Lord Fauntleroy School for Albino Hemophiliacs.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
:siren: It's up :siren:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
“Only” four hours and change

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wish he actually talked more about the actual Rape of Nanking instead of going on and on about the controversy. Granted, I already read Iris Chang's book but still.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
China History Podcast does a great job with the Rape of Nanking, for anyone who wants to learn more. The host got plenty of material from Iris Chang’s book too. It’s shocking how little it gets talked about in mainstream WW2 media. Although it’s kinda thematically fitting because the West wasn’t exactly concerned about China during the war.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

Wish he actually talked more about the actual Rape of Nanking instead of going on and on about the controversy. Granted, I already read Iris Chang's book but still.

For a guy who will spend a half hour just reading accounts of battles that painstakingly detail all the ways that various parties were tortured to death and/or dismembered, it did seem out of place. Iris Chang's book gave me a lifetime of mental imagery though, so I can't say I missed it, but it was out of place for him to reference a series of firsthand accounts and just move on.

Is this the most contemporaneous tragedy he's covered (other than the nukes)? If so, that probably explains it. It's a lot easier to draw a dividing line between guys who would be dead right now (WWI casualties) and parties who could still be alive, or whose kids would still carry their memory (Nanking).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Nanjing Massacre: A Japanese Journalists Confronts Japan's National Shame did me for all the imagery I'll ever need on the subject.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

For anyone that's interested John Zhu has started his podcast summary of Water Margin. Anybody interested in the Chinese classics but too short on time to read them should check it, and his completed Three Kingdoms podcast out.

http://www.outlawsofthemarsh.com/

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I absolutely love the Age of Napoleon podcast, and understand why he’s chosen to run ads, but the implementation is very jarring. There aren’t really any cuts or segues into them, the show just flows like “...and when he arrived, he found that his ships were off course AND THIS IS FLOE FROM PROGRESSIVE”

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Am I right in thinking that the Japanese on the cover art is a translation of "Give me liberty or give me death"?

Kind of like, "Freedom, please. Otherwise, death." =D

Edit: I also noticed they swapped the two lines in this image on the store page currently, so that it reads correctly top-to-bottom right-to-left in Japanese.

Lor fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 14, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone listened to the History of the Crusades podcast? Does her delivery ever get more engaging or is it this sleepy monotone forever? There's like 300 episodes so I'm willing to skip ahead if she figures out how to do this better. The later crusades are the ones I know less about anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She never gets all that loud, but she gets a new mic around fifty and stops misnaming the Hagia Sophia. I'd just skip to the first of the cathar episodes and see how you like that.