Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The account of that speedrun was really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anything out that's new and recent in the vein of One Way Heroics? Should I just buckle up for its sequel and see if the patches fixed some of the original annoyances?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress i need to play owh again

this looks wicked sick https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/i-beat-slay-the-spire-with-a-family-of-slimes-and-you-should-too/

reposting this for the new page please join if you like daily challenges and want to discuss them w other turbonerds!! https://discord.gg/mauSah6

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Finally slew the Spire on Ascension 7 with Ironclad, with a deck revolving around :ssj:, which was a nice change of pace from my A6 clear where I got 999 block the final few battles (but had bad draws in the final fight leading the Heart to oneshot me before I could get rolling).

I got over that local maximum that we discussed the other day and a lot of decks are opening up to me now. Game is a 5/5 in my book, looking forward to any potential new content from the devs.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

silentsnack posted:

For assassination missions you can also just hijack another ship. Make sure it's the same faction as the target ship so they don't shoot you on sight, carefully match velocities and position yourself behind them, then just spam missiles until "mission done" popup appears. Works for every mission difficulty and up to like rank 4 or 5 Glory missions (at which point ships get upgrades to be glitchproof and indestructible) and non-mission ships are almost trivial to take over since they don't spawn tons of upgraded guards.

If you're feeling creative you can also ram the target ship.

(Game breaking cheese)
The missiles lock on from across the entire map as long as you click directly on an enemy ship tile. So you can pan the camera using shift and destroy specific parts of an enemy ship without putting yourself in danger. And because the green arrow points to the specific tile that the objective/target is in, you can one-shot assassination targets from anywhere using a stolen ship parked next to your planet in about 30 seconds.

I also like cutting out the room I need to steal from. You'll need a Visitor though, because all the keycards will probably get spaced.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Rascyc posted:

Anything out that's new and recent in the vein of One Way Heroics? Should I just buckle up for its sequel and see if the patches fixed some of the original annoyances?

I wish. I love OWH a lot but I've never heard any praise for the sequel.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Kikkoman posted:

I haven't played Nethack in at least 10 years, but this thread mentioned earlier that it's still actively being developed. Looking at the 3.6.1 release notes, it seems to be mostly fixes and maintenance. Has there been anything game-changing added to Nethack in the last decade?

The biggest thing is that Elbereth is not as reliable as before; only the first instance is counted when you write it and even when a wand of fire/digging is used it can fade.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Stark Fist posted:

I wish. I love OWH a lot but I've never heard any praise for the sequel.

Are you talking about the console port or has owh 2 somehow come out without me knowing?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Tha port. Though OWH2 is in the works as far as I can tell w/o reading japanese.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think Mystery Chronicle has enough differences going on that it's not a strict port but a spiritual sequel, I guess.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Chin Strap posted:

Dungeonmans definitely wins on the "isn't super hardcore" point and "still is a real roguelike" point.

Slay the Spire is the best card roguelite out there and you won't regret it at all I would say.

You might regret losing the hundreds of hours you'll never get back.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mystery chronicles is weird. It’s not a bad game, the base game is just better with more content. I wish they at least gave enough of a poo poo to add some of the stuff from the plus update.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My OWH coffee break turned into a 2 hour run where I wanted to get the end of the world goal, at 1500 km I forgot to pay the toll collector :negative:

v one way heroics

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 11, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

OWH?

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

DrManiac posted:

Is cogmind $20 good? being a mech with customizable parts sounds extremely like my kind of poo poo.

Cogmind is absolutely worth the purchase price. It's super rich, tons of features, I really like how the game handles plot and quests (which I usually don't like on roguelikes due to the whole dying over and over again thing), and there are a whole bunch of endings so lots of different ways for a run to go. While the game is hard, there are also 3 difficulty modes, and even the easiest mode allows you to see all the content (i.e. nothing is gated behind hard mode). I'm a big fan.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DrManiac posted:

Is cogmind $20 good? being a mech with customizable parts sounds extremely like my kind of poo poo.

cogmind is worth $20 for the visuals alone, really tickles that part of your brain that loved The Matrix as a teenager

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

I wonder how much Cogminds perception of its value comes from the pricepoint being asked for. There's no doubt it's good.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I think it's at the right spot - if it was $10ish I would think he's lowballing himself, and it if it were $30 that's probably too much for an indie roguelike. $20 feels like the right midpoint, and allows room for dipping into the midteens for sales and whatnot. Most of us probably spend more money than that in a week on coffee.

I hope there's a sequel (or at least another roguelike of comparable scale), but that probably depends on how successful the game is when it ultimately leaves beta.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pladdicus posted:

I wonder how much Cogminds perception of its value comes from the pricepoint being asked for. There's no doubt it's good.

Most indie games are very underpriced tbqh

Getting a full game for $5-$15 is honestly an incredible bargain

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Started playing Dungeonmans again. Got my rear end kicked by a fortress boss - dude had like 5k HP and also moved twice and murdered me. Despite me being Pneumatized or whatever the perk for +20% AP is. Do they get straight up double turns sometimes or do they just gain like 133% AP relative to me or something?

(and uh, what's the stamina regen option I'm missing, since I was running dry despite chugging potions)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Most indie games are very underpriced tbqh

Getting a full game for $5-$15 is honestly an incredible bargain

This. A game that I play for dozens of hours is a bargain at anything under $30. Any gaming niches that are being under served could have more games if fans would be willing to pay extra per copy (ala war games). Instead, people whine about how they can buy some old tedious Ubisoft game for $10 so how dare some dev ask for more.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

On the other hand I buy quite a lot more games than I end up playing which I wouldn't if they were three times the price.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
capitalism is illogical

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

People are pretty weird when it comes to indie game prices. I don’t mind paying if the game itself is fun since you can easily get you’re money’s worth with good roguelikes.

It reminds me of how people were bitching about jimmy and the pulsating mass’s (one of my favorite jrpgs of last year btw) price of $15 even though it had enough unique content to have a ~35 hour playtime which is about what AAA jrpgs run.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Started playing Dungeonmans again. Got my rear end kicked by a fortress boss - dude had like 5k HP and also moved twice and murdered me. Despite me being Pneumatized or whatever the perk for +20% AP is. Do they get straight up double turns sometimes or do they just gain like 133% AP relative to me or something?

(and uh, what's the stamina regen option I'm missing, since I was running dry despite chugging potions)

If they have the Haste buff (looks like a boot with an up arrow) that’s +100 AP, that may be it? Options for stamina regen are:
-Flux Shield from the light Armor tree gives a bit
-The refreshing drinks from the Ire talents can restore a medium amount
-The Herald of the Triumohant banner has an upgrade that restores stamina and mana on hit that gives absolute buckets of stamina as you get going. As far as I know it’s by far the strongest stamina source.
-The other banner gives you health and stamina on hit when you’re below some threshold. I don’t think it’s very strong.
-Stamina potions. Different tier potions stack so if it’s dire you can chug stamina potions I, II, and III.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sorry people who recommended me Dungeonmans, I'm liking Tangledeep better! After playing almost 12 hours of Dungeonmans and 90 minutes of Tangledeep:

Dungeonmans quick pace has some addicting quality at first, as you kill & loot poo poo, but it also has several quirks, pace issues and styles I don't like:

-Supposing you aren’t killed early and play conservatively, the first 5 hours of a run are a bit boring, too easy.
-Runs are indeed too long, given you mostly juggle the same 4-5 abilities usually in a single run. As part of that, you level too slowly from level 6 onwards, and the gameplay gets stale because of that. The game should be shorter and you should level up a bit faster, so you always get new skills every x time to play around.
-I dislike games where 85% of the combat is ‘filler’, most of the time in ‘adventurous’ dungeons I don’t bother see what type of enemies I’m hitting or what abilities do they have, I just advance and kill everything, letting the auto-target select whatever enemy. Even in the next level ('challenging'?) I had sometimes this problem.
-I dislike games with this resting system, there is no penalty for using it, it’s basically the turn-based equivalent of health-regeneration in a FPS. You reach a harder area? Advance a bit, kill 3-4 enemies, rest, rinse, repeat. Sometimes you are interrupted but it’s a single monster so you kill it without problems and rest again.
-You may say at this point I should go to a harder dungeon or raise the difficulty, but it’s hard to skip dungeons that have valuable xp and consumables, and the difficulty balance is tricky: bosses are much harder than the rest of the game, so if I raise the difficulty somehow, the moment I will reach a boss the game will be too hard, not too easy.
-Ironically this doesn’t mean I don’t die, some of my deaths (outside bosses) came because the game trains me to fall in a zen-like status of advancing and killing poo poo without looking at numbers or even using most abilities, of playing in autopilot mode, which works 99% of the tie, and then a special enemy kills me or a poisoner gets me without me noticing the poison drain 80% of my health. Even if I had dozens of consumables to avoid my death. So the pace of the game is super weird, where a floor it's too easy and suddenly in the next one I die without me noticing the enemies did much more damage. Precisely for a game without a quicksave but with a roguelike save system it feels inappropirate. A small thing, but having the health bar tucked to the right corner also affects me, increasing this dumb mistakes I make. I wish it was bigger and more in the center.
-There are some cheap kills like the top of the towers where you fight a boss, unlike any other dungeons before, the stairs magically disappear so you cannot retreat when you see that floor level is too high for you.
-95% of the loot is crap, garbage fated to be sold or be scrapped in the academy. I also dislike this kind of ‘loot’ model. I don’t even bother looking at what I’m picking from the ground, I just clear up two or three dungeons in a row and then go back to identify everything in one go, favorite a pair of pieces maybe, and the throw everything else.
-The overworld map lacks info, the number system is crap to see what is a town and what a dungeon (why not use small icons?) so you have to use the filters enabling and disable them. To show level of dungeon is, and what level of town is (merchandise level, like 4/6) would also a good idea.
-The inventory system is crap: no way to order by rating, gold, number of items (for consumables), if the item is equippable or not, or any other way.

In contrast, Tangledeep

It has a old JRPG vibe in the art which didn't convince me at first, I don't have nostalgia for these games, but in the end It fixes most of my complaints I wrote before:

-It has a few more classes than Dungeonmans, 12, and they are more original, they aren't the typical warrior/archer/wizard, so it's more in my style (Floramancer, Edge Thane, Soulkeeper..). Like Dungeonmans, you can mix them up.
-The classes, apart from more interesting, are more 'active', with more active and interesting abilities, one unique upgradable passive, and you gain the skills way faster (at least, I have 7 after 70 minutes).
-Small point, but it has more system options (some of them useful even!) and customizable controls.
-Balance wise it's way too early to say anything, but the difficulty seems smoother, without strange ups and downs, while at the same time not being brainless because the next point.
-It doesn't use the rest system from Dungeonmans, but traditional food/health potions. There are fountains that give you extra health recharges to the health potion, and an interesting powerup system, where fallen enemies may drop orb that give you a bit of stamina or energy. In addition between floors there can be a small map with a side quest or a fire camp, you can use the camp once to refill your stats or to cook a recipe.
-It has a convenient 'summon town portal', needs 8 turns to charge or so. It also can be used to return to the start of the floor. Unlike in Dungeonmans, where sometimes it was a pain in the rear end to go back two floors.
-It has several sorting methods for the inventory.
-Itemization is also better, imo it doesn't flood the player with garbage loot. After one hour I have a dozen items and 13 consumables, not 120.
-Weapons are more interesting, instead of being a simple damage number and a collection of random attributes, they also have a special ability. Daggers do more damage in successive attacks, claymore can counter when parrying, Iron claws have a damage bonus depending of the health lost recently, etc. Weapons also have learn-able unique abilities depending of the weapon type.
On the other hand there seems to be less variety of weapons.
-Enemies are also a bit more interesting, like Dungeonmans they can have abilities, but it feels they have a bit more identity here.
-It has a meta-progression system too. Capturing and taming monsters seem a cool idea, and later they are pets that can level up.
-There is a sidequest/rumor system that is like a challenge, as they can be conditions like 'don't change weapons' or 'don't use more than 800 steps'.
-It has a good number of starting options (here it's better to put some screenshots), I think they accommodate everyone:

-A little thing, but I like having some simple animations in this type of game. The 'idle' animations of the characters give them much more life than the static sprites of Dungeonmans.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

- There's actually a consumable in Dungeonmans explicitly for getting out of dungeons, the Carefully Escape Dungeon scroll. If you never found any in a dungeon, you might try going into all the towns and checking the shops. It's not going to get you out of harm's way in 8 turns but if you have potions and movement skills ready 20 turns should be doable.

- Sorting items by whether your character has the skill to use them or not? Yeah, I can see that being nice, though I've never found it more than a little inconvenient to scroll through the lists so long as I made sure to do so after clearing every dungeon. Plus there's a somewhat consistent design aesthetic separating heavy armor from light armor, for instance, that makes it easier to discern what may or may not fit if you're paying attention.

- Sorting items by gold seems... practically pointless. I can think of exactly one use of this, which would be to store something worth a lot of money but useless in the vault to give your next character a leg up, but this runs into the problem of a) very few vault-able items sell for a lot and b) useful weapons allow your character to get into harder, more profitable content way faster than hoping a town has something handy. Sorting items by rarity is eh, not just because of the above regarding skill-locked items but also because the icons of the rarer items stand out quite a bit. Even if you miss the new item marker, magically enchanted items have extra glowy bits in their icon, so it's not hard to tell something is more special than whatever else you've got.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Almost every one of your gripes with Dungeonmans could be solved by tackling tougher content sooner.

Xp gains are huge on higher level stuff, loot is gated by area and monster difficulty, and you won't fall asleep when you're risking death in every delve.

Side benefit you can finish the game in two sessions playing like that.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

victrix posted:

Almost every one of your gripes with Dungeonmans could be solved by tackling tougher content sooner.

Xp gains are huge on higher level stuff, loot is gated by area and monster difficulty, and you won't fall asleep when you're risking death in every delve.

Side benefit you can finish the game in two sessions playing like that.

I started doing that and it made the experience much better. Unfortunately most roguelikes encourage hoarding so I imagine many players initially feel obligated to clear everything.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
How many years did Angband exist before "just dive and don't die" became the go-to advice over "scum every level forever until you're high enough level and have every resistance"? 5? 10?
I think some proficient player had to write a manifesto about it and spent a lot of time converting forumgoers to his way.
Roguelike players will play as boringly as possible to minimize risk unless they're really, really convinced that the alternative is better.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Roguelike players will play as boringly as possible to minimize risk unless they're really, really convinced that the alternative is better.

While technically accurate, I don't like putting the onus on players here. If you make a game where aggression is suboptimal, it's not then fair to complain about your players learning to be excessively cautious. You need mechanics that actively encourage risk-taking.

e: and I do mean encourage, as in reward, not just penalize caution -- if you do that you end up with X-Com 2. gross!

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 13, 2019

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
xcom 2 penalizes overcaution, though i will admit there are egregious outliers

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like nuclear throne for making aggression more or less one of the most valid and rewarding playstyles

and while i understand if maybe a dev considers something 'done' i would still immediately buy an expansion the moment it's available if that ever happened for the game

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Fixed that for you. The fact that you have to be very careful to make sure that the most reliable/effective way to play your game is also fun is a fairly well-known and surprisingly tricky problem in videogame design. Similar issues in other genres include savescumming, turtling in RTSes, infinite city sprawl in Civ, being a diplosniper in Elder Scrolls games, and on and on. And to be clear, I'm not saying that nobody enjoys playing games those ways. I am saying that odds are that the designers of those games would much prefer it if those strategies were not so common, because most of the people that use them aren't having as much fun as they'd have if they played in a different fashion.

The fact that you can auto-clear Trivial-tier dungeons in Dungeonmans is in fact meant to be a counter to this kind of thing, because otherwise a certain subset of players would feel obligated to clear them manually for the almost-entirely-useless, yet very safely-obtained, loot. Unfortunately, that still leaves the slightly-less-useless, slightly-more-dangerously-gotten loot from Adventurous dungeons, when really you should be sticking to at least the next rating up as much as possible once you have your core skills.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think it's time to play some Tangledeep though, looks like there have been quite a few patches. At least the aesthetic will be similar to OWH. Looks like Tangle is getting an expansion soon too, woot.

You're probably a little too early to be judging Tangledeep's difficulty though. The item world mechanic in that game can get pretty nuts. Which is probably a good thing cause that game is a consumable fest in itself, you always have SO MANY consumables. Reading through the patch notes though, it looks like they finally got a handle on Champion swarms which is a good thing.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 13, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

i like nuclear throne for making aggression more or less one of the most valid and rewarding playstyles

and while i understand if maybe a dev considers something 'done' i would still immediately buy an expansion the moment it's available if that ever happened for the game

I just want them to make it run at 60 fps

I hate being an elitist about poo poo like that, but it makes my eyes hurt now :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

megane posted:

I hate being an elitist about poo poo like that, but it makes my eyes hurt now :(

Every time I return to Nuclear Throne, I have to rediscover the fact that Nuclear Throne runs at like 30 FPS. Every time.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

megane posted:

60 isn't elitist, 144 maybe, but not 60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hahaha suckers my eyes are bad enough i cant really tell the difference