Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

OtspIII posted:

Heat Signature

Heat signature talk: how the heck do I reliably do drifting-through-space-outside-the-ship shenanigans? One of the not-so-randomized bonus levels aka "defector missions" has you using a shotgun to propel yourself through space without your pod and flying in through a window to board a hostile spaceship. After realizing that was possible I always want to try it in normal gameplay but I can't do it anywhere near reliably. Are there any tricks? Alternately, can you use a sidewinder or swapper teleoporter to get onboard a ship from outside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

You can swap and probably also visitor into a ship from the outside, but you have to fling yourself out of the pod first, and trying to propel yourself about space intentionally with a gun seemed like something to leave in that one special defector mission. Heat Signature is by far the best thing I bought in the steam sale.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You can also shoot out windows and fly in that way, If I remember correctly.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
There's also a pod upgrade which lets you smash holes in spaceships. It also makes a lot of the really hard assassination missions a non-issue -- just bash holes into the ship until your target gets sucked out.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

tildes posted:

There's also a pod upgrade which lets you smash holes in spaceships. It also makes a lot of the really hard assassination missions a non-issue -- just bash holes into the ship until your target gets sucked out.

For assassination missions you can also just hijack another ship. Make sure it's the same faction as the target ship so they don't shoot you on sight, carefully match velocities and position yourself behind them, then just spam missiles until "mission done" popup appears. Works for every mission difficulty and up to like rank 4 or 5 Glory missions (at which point ships get upgrades to be glitchproof and indestructible) and non-mission ships are almost trivial to take over since they don't spawn tons of upgraded guards.

If you're feeling creative you can also ram the target ship.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

silentsnack posted:

For assassination missions you can also just hijack another ship. Make sure it's the same faction as the target ship so they don't shoot you on sight, carefully match velocities and position yourself behind them, then just spam missiles until "mission done" popup appears. Works for every mission difficulty and up to like rank 4 or 5 Glory missions (at which point ships get upgrades to be glitchproof and indestructible) and non-mission ships are almost trivial to take over since they don't spawn tons of upgraded guards.

If you're feeling creative you can also ram the target ship.

I once managed a capture mission like that by shearing the ship apart near the target, waiting for them to get sucked into space and then picking them up in my pod before they suffocated. It's a crapshoot unless you're really, really good with the touchy ship controls but that's the beauty of Heat Signature, there's a stupid, inadvisable way to do everything that can still work sometimes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I really appreciate just how much power is granted to the player in Heat Signature. It would have been so easy to lock things down more and make a more controlled game experience, but that's not what the game is about.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Nearly every mission after I figured out I could do that has ended with me shooting out a window and catching myself and any rescue/capture targets with my pod and flying off into the sunset. The Offworld Angel pod makes it a lot less finicky to do that and I tend to buy one on every character as soon as I get 20 currency.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm still mad about the Offworld Angel nerf

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I once managed a capture mission like that by shearing the ship apart near the target, waiting for them to get sucked into space and then picking them up in my pod before they suffocated. It's a crapshoot unless you're really, really good with the touchy ship controls but that's the beauty of Heat Signature, there's a stupid, inadvisable way to do everything that can still work sometimes.
I tried with a rescue mission but discovered that destroying the room causes everyone inside to take lethal damage, so for non-murder missions you have to destroy an adjacent room and hope the target gets ejected. Guess how I found out. :v:

Speaking of odd mechanics, I found a weird interaction (maybe bug/exploit) that lets you use a Swapper to knock someone unconscious without breaking never-harm-anybody conducts. So it's possible to do Pacifist Assassination, as ludicrous as that sounds.

edit: upon checking beta patchnotes, it looks like this was declared "bug, not feature" so cheese it while the cheesin's good I guess.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 7, 2019

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

silentsnack posted:

For assassination missions you can also just hijack another ship. Make sure it's the same faction as the target ship so they don't shoot you on sight, carefully match velocities and position yourself behind them, then just spam missiles until "mission done" popup appears.

Wait I had no idea you could shoot missiles from ships! I guess I'm playing more Heat Signature today, that's awesome.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

tildes posted:

Wait I had no idea you could shoot missiles from ships! I guess I'm playing more Heat Signature today, that's awesome.

Yup right-click fires missile because ships don't have the 'match velocity with target' feature that player pods do. Also they have much lower acceleration so it takes some practice to get (and stay) close enough to make the shots hit.

The piloting feels like the difference between a motorcycle/bicycle vs a loaded moving van.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

You can commandeer ships for reasons OTHER than selling to a chop shop? :stare:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ship-to-ship combat is hands-down my favorite way to initiate a mission, or recover from one that's going to poo poo. I had a mission to steal something from one giant ship with no time limit and botched it bad, which called in hordes of armored security and hunters. So I left that ship, grabbed another one, blew the first ship completely apart and then warped my way onto the fragment that had the item I needed.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tomenet is an amazing actual MMO take on roguelike gameplay. Realtime with tick based turns, auto-retaliate this is extremely neat. Been playing since I discovered it this morning.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Einwand posted:

You can swap and probably also visitor into a ship from the outside, but you have to fling yourself out of the pod first, and trying to propel yourself about space intentionally with a gun seemed like something to leave in that one special defector mission. Heat Signature is by far the best thing I bought in the steam sale.

Outside of that mission the only time I ever actually used gun propulsion was when my pod was so hosed up that I had no hope of ever getting it back to a station and my only hope was to hijack the ship. I had to do it like 3 times to get back on after getting airlocked.

I don't recommend it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

silentsnack posted:

For assassination missions you can also just hijack another ship.

You can do this in any mission other than hijack actually, although assassination is definitely the easiest. It's great for missions with timelimits and timed alarm responses because once you take out the engines the timers all get disabled(since the ship can't go anywhere, obviously). Taking out the engines is usually really easy, too, since they tend to be on the back.

For Capture and Rescue it's actually not that hard, the little arrow points to the specific ship section they're in and all you have to do is hit an adjacent section and they'll get sucked out into space, where you can recover them. For steal you have to actually cut the section that the object is in off of the main ship by destroying all of its connections to it, at which point you just dock your pod onto it as it flies away and grab it from the chest.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

You can do this in any mission other than hijack actually, although assassination is definitely the easiest. It's great for missions with timelimits and timed alarm responses because once you take out the engines the timers all get disabled(since the ship can't go anywhere, obviously). Taking out the engines is usually really easy, too, since they tend to be on the back.

For Capture and Rescue it's actually not that hard, the little arrow points to the specific ship section they're in and all you have to do is hit an adjacent section and they'll get sucked out into space, where you can recover them. For steal you have to actually cut the section that the object is in off of the main ship by destroying all of its connections to it, at which point you just dock your pod onto it as it flies away and grab it from the chest.

Yeah. Except for the "target flees" alarm response. Then you jump out of your pod and subvert the teleporter so the target flees into space.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Pladdicus posted:

Tomenet is an amazing actual MMO take on roguelike gameplay. Realtime with tick based turns, auto-retaliate this is extremely neat. Been playing since I discovered it this morning.

it's cool except for when i die to something i never, ever, ever would have fought if i had been able to farlook at like in any other band. why are dark young of shub-niggurath the same letter and color as great unclean ones in this variant gah :qq:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
PWMangband and MAngband are also livening up, again, still, alongside Tomenet of late---so if the latter is resonating a bit, do dabble around with the former pair as each has their own eccentricities while generally trying to find as good of common ground on fundamentals as they can wrangle collectively.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ok people. Recommend a roguelike/roguelite game. Some points:

-I liked games like Dungeons of Dredmor or Dead Cells. I have pending to try TOME one of these days. I think my next roguelite will be Slay the Spire, I hear good things.

-Have graphics. It doesn't have to be super pretty, but no ascii games.

-Have great variety in each run. So as you know, one of the key aspects of roguelikes is that usually have small 'graphics budget', but thanks to that, they have more depth in systems and/or content. I was searching something like that, that have great variety in classes for examples, I love games where playing another class is suddenly like playing another game, with different tactical considerations, different toolset, or even different resources.

For example, I'm also a sucker of strategy games where each faction is asymmetric and plays totally different (different resources, style, victory conditions)

-It isn't super hardcore. It is a pity, but most games of this genre are 'my way or the highway' school of design. High default difficulty, and even worse, no difficulty options. One of the things I liked from DoD was the better accesibility (easy/normal mode, but also you could choose to save between floors, or even if you wanted a normal or a long run).

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Have you played Dungeonmans? It's hella fun, nice graphics, lots of different skills that you can mix and match. It has tactical considerations with lots of abilities that move you around the battlefield (and some enemies can move you too).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ToME or Dungeonmans should do nicely.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I don't know Dungeonmans, thanks!

How is Tangledeep?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is cogmind $20 good? being a mech with customizable parts sounds extremely like my kind of poo poo.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I'll always recommend EtG

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Tangledeep is the Chronogg game of the day. You should check it out.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
desktop dungeons is a roguelike/puzzle sorta hybridy game and it has real neat art and also is straining at the seams w content

probably super cheap these days too

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

DrManiac posted:

Is cogmind $20 good? being a mech with customizable parts sounds extremely like my kind of poo poo.

It's a very complete game, but it couldn't hold my attention since it's so drat hard, even with keeping alarm level at 0 the combat/part loss spirals are brutal. It's a great game, just be aware that going into it to be all Mechwarrior is going to end in tears, it's not that type of game despite seeming so.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Caves of qud, it has graphics, diversity of runs, mutants play differently than true men, espers different then chimeras, and is awesome in general.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
only the foolish or bored play chimeras

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

To be fair if you mean "Chimera" in the sense of "I took all or mostly physical mutations at character creation" then there are plenty of good chimera builds, some of them almost even competitive with Espers.

The actual Chimera trait is a drawback that costs points instead of giving them, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

taking the chimera trait is definitely 100% a negative at this point given how the split between physical and mental mutations work. physical mutations aren't bad, it's just that the way players have to handle physical ones versus mental is so different that the thing the chimera trait does is functionally worthless. more or less it's just that something doesn't work in a way it really should given how other things around it are handled and players are better off ignoring that one specific little thing while functionally just doing what it would guarantee anyways.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i started a discord server for RL dailies chatter

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Turin Turambar posted:

Ok people. Recommend a roguelike/roguelite game. Some points:

Golden Krone Hotel for a rad little roguelike with a ton of flavor. It's like a miniature goth Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Otherwise, Dungeonmans for traditional but extremely accessible.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

To be fair if you mean "Chimera" in the sense of "I took all or mostly physical mutations at character creation" then there are plenty of good chimera builds, some of them almost even competitive with Espers.

The actual Chimera trait is a drawback that costs points instead of giving them, though.

Yeah, it was more consice.

I usually like a 4 armed mutant with 2 heads, mental mirror, and whatever else or dominate/beguile if I want to play the recruiting the best ring tail baboon game.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Dungeonmans definitely wins on the "isn't super hardcore" point and "still is a real roguelike" point.

Slay the Spire is the best card roguelite out there and you won't regret it at all I would say.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I still say doomrl is the best "intro to roguelikes" game as it's pretty easy to pickup and play.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
NetHack has been beaten in 7 minutes 15 seconds realtime, albeit with a lot of help from computers. This is not the tool-assisted speedrun, which, last I heard, was bogged down trying to figure out how to ascend in only 2 turns after completing the quest instead of 3. It's still ridiculously insanely fast though, and is interesting in other ways because they don't have complete control over the game state and have the realtime completion constraint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I haven't played Nethack in at least 10 years, but this thread mentioned earlier that it's still actively being developed. Looking at the 3.6.1 release notes, it seems to be mostly fixes and maintenance. Has there been anything game-changing added to Nethack in the last decade?