Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my guess is they barely looked.

Sounds like the :kav: investigation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The millennial equivalent of golf is hiking.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Golf Story is pretty fun.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

eke out posted:

the dumbest people on twitter already support her:
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1083872478026493953

Is this guy saying that diversity calls in the democratic party are fake because Tulsi satisfies those calls but won't be accepted because of her abhorrent options? I want more diversity in representation but I'm not going to vote for Diamond or Silk either.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BarbarianElephant posted:

The millennial equivalent of golf is hiking.

Disk golf

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1083919042539388928?s=19

One of the things I've learned from 2016 to now is despite their claim of being the champions of truth and the last defence against tyranny I'd estimate between 50 to 75 percent of them are primed to cheer in a real authoritarian strongman.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

theblackw0lf posted:

Hard to say. CKs bit about not calling intellectually challenged people “retarded” any more is similar to a Carlin bit on euphemisms. And I also think Carlin would have had issues with people being able to define what personal pronoun should be used when speaking to them.

George Carlin had a bit about how, when dealing with people individually, he was willing to call them whatever they preferred to be called. And in the same bit, he says:

quote:

I'm more interested in the real victims. People who have been hosed over by the system. Because the United States is a Christian racist nation with a rigged economic system run for three hundred years by the least morally qualified of the two sexes, there were bound to be some real victims. People who have been elaborately hosed over.

The way I see it, this country has only four real victim groups: Indians, blacks, women and gays.

While it's safe to say that he's used some unapologetically un-PC language, I think he was "woke" enough even before our Extremely Online world that he could at least be reasoned with, even if some people would criticize him for what he said.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
JONATHAN HAIDT & SCOTT GALLOWAY were on a really interesting podcast yesterday. Would recommend you guys to hear. Haidt is the author of the Codling of the American Mind which was an amazing book, it started from this article which some may find interesting here.

In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

Here is the Spotify link to the podcast.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/00htzHZ9SqlTvyAGCQamMO?si=kRMLcoplRnWDCYfjsSUpIg

e:

Here is an article that explains:
https://www.recode.net/podcasts/2019/1/11/18178800/jonathan-haidt-coddling-american-mind-book-nyu-scott-galloway-pivot-podcast

quote:

On the latest episode of Pivot, NYU’s Scott Galloway spoke to his colleague from the Stern School of Business, Jonathan Haidt, the co-author of The Coddling of the American Mind.

In the book, Haidt and his co-author Greg Lukianoff argue that Generation Z — the group born after 1995 — have been raised to avoid taking risks and to earn “prestige points” by objecting to subjectively controversial jokes in the workplace. He claimed college professors like him are now walking on “eggshells” because they’re afraid of being reported and shamed by their students.

“My prediction is that all the problems that we have on campus, the endless conflicts over words and clothing and food, these endless conflicts are coming to you in corporate America,” Haidt said. “Depends on the industry; I hear they’re already there in journalism and tech actually, but I think they’re gonna enter just about every industry. I mean, maybe not mining or something, but any industry that hires smart kids from the elite schools, especially in the Northeast and West Coast, is going to be importing this conflictual attitude.”

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 12, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This is exactly why he probably won't do it. Trump doesn't really care about the wall, but he LOVES the government being shut down.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1084074865496334336

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lol

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
tougher than woodrow 'actually invaded' wilson

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
This account really is the worst.

https://twitter.com/HoarseWisperer/status/1083990755352498177

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Radish posted:

One of the things I've learned from 2016 to now is despite their claim of being the champions of truth and the last defence against tyranny I'd estimate between 50 to 75 percent of them are primed to cheer in a real authoritarian strongman.

Democrats don't want him to declare an emergency (and this story is sourced to one dumb quote by an aide) it's just growing increasingly obvious it's the only plausible scenario for how this ends. The Democrats aren't even really involved in the negotiations anymore it's just Republicans trying to develop a bargaining position with Trump and he's only offering them poo poo like "What if we painted the wall blue?"

The next Democratic President will almost certainly have to declare an emergency to deal with climate change, so at least the precedent can be abused for good.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Radish posted:

What the gently caress?

quote:

Democrats, and a lot of Republicans, would consider this an egregious violation of the law that would set an authoritarian precedent. But that’s just the glass-half-empty way to look at it!

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Man, reading his tweets is so bizarre. It's like this permanent sense of deja vu because they all sound so loving similar. But then you look down at the time stamp and yep, it's new. It's like a chat bot that posts the same thing every X hours.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
At least this Slate article is more reasonable

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/national-emergency-wall-trump-impeachment.html

quote:

Is Declaring a National Emergency to Build an Unnecessary Wall an Impeachable Offense?
It might be.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Enigma89 posted:

JONATHAN HAIDT & SCOTT GALLOWAY were on a really interesting podcast yesterday. Would recommend you guys to hear. Haidt is the author of the Codling of the American Mind which was an amazing book, it started from this article which some may find interesting here.

In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

https://open.spotify.com/episode/00htzHZ9SqlTvyAGCQamMO?si=kRMLcoplRnWDCYfjsSUpIg

e:

https://www.recode.net/podcasts/2019/1/11/18178800/jonathan-haidt-coddling-american-mind-book-nyu-scott-galloway-pivot-podcast

If I was to go off of this excerpt i'd have to say that this was loving stupid. There's a difference between "coddling someone" and saying "Get the gently caress out, you bigoted bastard." to someone who discriminates on the basis of orientation, birth, skin color, etc, etc. There's nothing coddled about that.

Calling it coddling is just a new way of claiming the whole logical fallacy of "Well, maybe your intolerance of my intolerance makes you the bad guy, hm?" thing that bigots foolishly try to hide behind when they get called on their poo poo. Unless you're going to a place like Liberty U you aren't going to get in trouble for pointing out issues of discrimination. You will however get called out for being an rear end in a top hat to someone based on them being a minority or disadvantaged in some way.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

DynamicSloth posted:

The next Democratic President will almost certainly have to declare an emergency to deal with climate change, so at least the precedent can be abused for good.

If this happens I am dying for a primary debate question where they point blank ask the candidates whether they would, as President, declare an emergency to raid the military piggy bank to deal with climate change, because anyone who says "No, we must respect the norms and restore normalcy" or anything other than "gently caress yes" can be immediately ridden out on a rail.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Like seriously. This poo poo is actually kind of offensive:

quote:

Some recent campus actions border on the surreal. In April, at Brandeis University, the Asian American student association sought to raise awareness of microaggressions against Asians through an installation on the steps of an academic hall. The installation gave examples of microaggressions such as “Aren’t you supposed to be good at math?” and “I’m colorblind! I don’t see race.”

But a backlash arose among other Asian American students, who felt that the display itself was a microaggression. The association removed the installation, and its president wrote an e-mail to the entire student body apologizing to anyone who was “triggered or hurt by the content of the microaggressions.”

Yet the writer pretends that someone assuming that all people with visible asian features are secretly humanoid calculators in disguise isn't that big of a deal. And never mind the old standby of "Oh, I can't be racist. I don't see race.".

Those are things (The latter thing especially, if you replace race with bigotry as a whole.) minorities see and pretty much everyone inside and outside a given minority knows is a thing that some particularly dickish people think and occasionally even say. I can't blame someone for not wanting to see a display explaining it. Barring an in depth tutorial on how not to be a prejudiced rear end accompanying the display it's just acting as a tutorial to be an rear end itself while making affected people roll their eyes at anyone who suddenly wants to pretend to be woke by the whole thing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 12, 2019

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Charlz Guybon posted:

What the gently caress?

The first Democrat that steps up and runs on using brute force abuse of executive power to push a progressive agenda wins the primary period.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

What the gently caress?

The populist right is 100% willing to burn everything down to get the wall. A veto override would cause massive civil unrest. Letting Trump have it via emergency action lets them keep their hands clean. Sure it makes Trump into an authoritarian, but everyone already thought that about him anyways.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Assume the wall is built instantly and costs nothing. What would it cost per year to patrol, repair and maintain?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Gort posted:

Assume the wall is built instantly and costs nothing. What would it cost per year to patrol, repair and maintain?

Trick question. We don't maintain infrastructure in the USA

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

e:

ctrl+f

Palestine
Palestinian
Israel
BDS

0 results
These guys can go gently caress themselves. If your whole gimmick is criticizing college safe spaces and not mentioning the students and professors who are targeted the most by administrations, you're likely just some dickhead conservative who's more interested working the refs than free speech.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ego-bot posted:

ctrl+f

Palestine
Palestinian
Israel
BDS

0 results
These guys can go gently caress themselves. If your whole gimmick is criticizing college safe spaces and not mentioning the students and professors who are targeted the most by administrations, you're likely just some dickhead conservative who's more interested working the refs than free speech.

enigma89 is gonna link us to some very interesting Sam Harris podcasts next

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Xequecal posted:

The populist right is 100% willing to burn everything down to get the wall. A veto override would cause massive civil unrest. Letting Trump have it via emergency action lets them keep their hands clean. Sure it makes Trump into an authoritarian, but everyone already thought that about him anyways.

Maybe I see him as a weak blowhard and he should fold as I expect and pass a clean CR instead.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Xequecal posted:

I think you guys are reading this wrong. I see this as Congressional Republicans with their knives out for Trump. Someone figured out it was doomed to be immediately challenged, but it was the only thing Trump had to bluff with so he rolled with it.

Congress, generally, is calling the bluff so they can wash their hands of the wall and leave Trump holding the bag. He'll look weak, but the important part of the calculus is that the blame doesn't fall on congressional Republicans.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Enigma89 posted:

e:

Ah, this old yarn. I thought it was the millennials who were conditioned to be snowflakes in college. Now it's zoomers? When they start talking about how the next generation is doing the same thing, can we all just admit that these people are gross old bigots?

Someone else noted that this is basically "you're being intolerant of my intolerance!" But this is dumber than that. Using words like "coddling," they attack their opponents for having emotional attachment to their arguments. This is the same old conservative schtick: launch a million offensive "arguments" at you that question your very humanity and that of your loved ones, and then imply that you're not a rational person because you have an emotional response. U MAD, BRO?

The kids take things a bit far, sometimes. I'm sure they'll cringe when looking back on some of it. But when you're in college and you're just learning about this stuff, it's normal for young people to test the boundaries.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

Maybe I see him as a weak blowhard and he should fold as I expect and pass a clean CR instead.

Yeah I like that fantasy as well but I dont see him folding anytime soon, he thinks the base is behind him and he's gonna make this the longest shutdown by way loving far.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mineaiki posted:

Ah, this old yarn. I thought it was the millennials who were conditioned to be snowflakes in college. Now it's zoomers? When they start talking about how the next generation is doing the same thing, can we all just admit that these people are gross old bigots?

Someone else noted that this is basically "you're being intolerant of my intolerance!" But this is dumber than that. Using words like "coddling," they attack their opponents for having emotional attachment to their arguments. This is the same old conservative schtick: launch a million offensive "arguments" at you that question your very humanity and that of your loved ones, and then imply that you're not a rational person because you have an emotional response. U MAD, BRO?

The kids take things a bit far, sometimes. I'm sure they'll cringe when looking back on some of it. But when you're in college and you're just learning about this stuff, it's normal for young people to test the boundaries.

That was me. I edited it out since I didn't want to risk getting off track. But yeah. This is basically a new (slightly stupider) take on the whole "You're intolerant of my intolerance! Perhaps you are the bad guy in this argument? :smug:" logical fallacy.

It's funny because I saw a very similar variant of the same argument this guy is making about a year ago from Greg Gutfeld and the rest of The Five on Fox News hemming and hawing about how college professors had it so bad due to "PC culture" (Read, people not tolerating assholes treating people badly while they were working on the campus.). This, after they spent all that time harping on colleges for daring to tell literal nazis and concern trolls to gently caress off and leave their students alone. It's why I called the author a "Fox News tier reactionary conservative".

So depending on the release date I guess he's trying to cash in on that conservative fad a bit late?

Edit: As a side-note, I also sometimes wonder if Juan Williams (The token "democrat", who is also the only real minority/the only african american of the Five.) has moments when he realized he's basically become the Uncle Tom of Fox News. Around that time I vaguely recall him trying to tell the other four to gently caress off with their lying disingenuous bullshit before he suddenly remembered just what sort of organization it was he was taking a paycheck from. At which point he reverted back to lame deflections and quietly agreeing with his fellow hosts.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 12, 2019

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I don’t get what you guys think a Democratic president is going to do with a national emergency to “deal” with climate change. Are you expecting the next president to nationalize the coal, natural gas, and automotive industries?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I think you guys are reading this wrong. I see this as Congressional Republicans with their knives out for Trump. Someone figured out it was doomed to be immediately challenged, but it was the only thing Trump had to bluff with so he rolled with it.

Congress, generally, is calling the bluff so they can wash their hands of the wall and leave Trump holding the bag. He'll look weak, but the important part of the calculus is that the blame doesn't fall on congressional Republicans.

This is my read as well. They're daring him to do it so they can finally go against him without it looking like defiance.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Archonex posted:

That was me. I edited it out since I didn't want to risk getting off track. But yeah. This is basically a new (slightly stupider) take on the whole "You're intolerant of my intolerance!" logical fallacy.

It's funny because I saw this same argument this guy is making about a year ago from Greg Gutfeld and the Five hemming and hawing about how college professors had it so bad due to "PC culture" (Read, people not tolerating assholes treating people badly.). It's why I called the author a "Fox News tier reactionary conservative".

So depending on the release date I guess he's trying to cash in on that conservative fad a bit late?

I think we'll probably keep hearing about it for another generation at least, since we're already crossing into another one apparently. Especially if we make some big move for affordable college. I can hear the classist dogwhistling now about how in the age of expanded college access, professors are afraid to speak.

Tbh that's basically how it already is.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Side-note: I think it’s hilarious that this dude is trying to have a political-wonk career. He used to be at parties I was at as a teenager in Queens, and when things inevitably got to politics, this 16-year-old in khakis and a blazer was like a sub-replacement-level Charlie Kirk. I remember him storming out from getting schooled by everyone at least twice.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1084092774633353217?s=19

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The SCOTUS upholding a ruling to overturn Trump's emergency declaration would have the same effect as a veto override. It would be very, very bad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Xequecal posted:

The SCOTUS upholding a ruling to overturn Trump's emergency declaration would have the same effect as a veto override. It would be very, very bad.

Besides a new level of Twitter rage nothing will happen.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If anything it would make trump turn on his own stolen judges because they were supposed to be his guys. Even if they agreed with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Besides a new level of Twitter rage nothing will happen.

No you see, Trump is strong because