Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

glad im not the only one to feel like good place reps are kinda sorta stereotypical milquetoast liberals

In the podcast today Marc Evan Jackson was like "they're democrats" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Mordiceius posted:

At this point, I think I rank the season:

(from best to not best) Season 1 > Season 3 > Season 2

Season 2 wasn't at all bad, but I felt like the Derek stuff was a bit annoying and dragged it down (just my personal opinion). Season 3 feels stronger than Season 2 but nothing will top Season 1.

Honestly minus the last episode, I may like Season 1 the least.

Don't get me wrong, it's great, but the first chunk up until Eleanor confesses is a little more episodic and sitcomy than the rest of the show (which is to say, still a super serialized hilarious show, just not an insane show that redefines itself every 2 episodes), and while I agree that Season 2 lagged a little in the middle, the first couple episodes combined with everything that happened when they left the town were just incredible.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rarity posted:

So here's a thought, if Western capitalism is the reason no one gets into the Good Place any more why is that impacting on people from exploited countries? Someone living in rural Africa for example could still live their life without interacting with these global systems.

I was wondering about uncontacted peoples while watching it, but I guess "no one's got in for hundreds of years" works better than "oh, we get a handful from these isolated communities deep in the Amazon and some Pacific Islands and other places", but TV has to go fast, so I'll forgive them.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Important to know that no place on earth is untainted by capitalism. Even when you go to deserted islands in the middle of nowhere you find trash washed up on shore. Used a plastic bottle to hold water? You played into the system that undercuts everyone's chances. Hell, the North Sentinelese were dumped into the iron age when a big ship crashed on shore and they've apparently been taking it apart for materials.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
It can't be capitalism that's the problem. The Dutch East India company was the first publicly traded corporation and that wasn't until 1600, 100 years after the last person got into the good place. But even if you say that capitalism existed in Eurasia earlier than that, it certainly didn't exist in the Americas so that would mean that no Aztec or Inca or whatever person got in for decades before capitalism was even a concept where they lived.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I read it more as a critique of philosophical absolutism, but I think it's interesting and funny that so many vocal posters are jumping to the idea that an ad-supported TV show on one of the major media companies in the country is somehow devastating to the bourgeoisie. It reminds me of conservative websites that list "the top 100 conservative songs" and they're completely unaware of how full of poo poo they are.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Clearly if everything on Earth is compromised, there is only one option left: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5HYZUUjVzs

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BioEnchanted posted:

Clearly if everything on Earth is compromised, there is only one option left: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5HYZUUjVzs

I was prepared for this, but his delivery gets me every time.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

thanks alot assbag posted:

I liked this episode and love this show, but man the scene where Michael says "oh Tahani thank you you're such a genius!" and then immediately opens the book and flips through a perfect argument, was super hamfisted

I think this is true. IMO it could have been rephrased simply by tahani alluding to unintended consequences rather than literally calling it out, but I guess they couldn't find a way that worked?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair, at least it's presented as Michael explaining it to himself rather than to the rest of the cast - it's stuff any human already figured out, but Michael has never done critical thinking ever until starting planning his neighbourhood. Realising not only that something is wrong, but how it's wrong is relatively new to the afterlife, he is the only one who bothered to observe it. It's not the audience having the point explained to, it's the audience watching (effectively) an alien figure it out.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ashpanash posted:

I read it more as a critique of philosophical absolutism, but I think it's interesting and funny that so many vocal posters are jumping to the idea that an ad-supported TV show on one of the major media companies in the country is somehow devastating to the bourgeoisie. It reminds me of conservative websites that list "the top 100 conservative songs" and they're completely unaware of how full of poo poo they are.

It is absolutely about capitalism. Don't be the "Ah I see you use things in society so how can you be against it??" guy.
They really couldn't make it clearer with their Roses thing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What about the tribe on that island that's never interacted with the modern world before, the one that killed some rich idiot who landed there a few months ago? Wouldn't they be out of the system and get into the Good Place?

I mean, I guess not the ones who killed the idiot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All their food is grown in soil tainted by the blood of previous conflict

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Azhais posted:

All their food is grown in soil tainted by the blood of previous conflict

As true before the 1400s as it is now.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Phenotype posted:

What about the tribe on that island that's never interacted with the modern world before, the one that killed some rich idiot who landed there a few months ago? Wouldn't they be out of the system and get into the Good Place?

I mean, I guess not the ones who killed the idiot.

They likely beat their women and kill deformed children, etc. Civilization has its advantages, still.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Taear posted:

It is absolutely about capitalism. Don't be the "Ah I see you use things in society so how can you be against it??" guy.
I don’t think ashpanash’s point was, “when they themselves are made of capitalism,” it was... well, you know that strike in India this week? The one where 150 million people struck against the Prime Minister for two days? Possibly the largest strike in the history of the world, and it was absolutely, completely unreported by NBC, and I would not be surprised if ABC, CBS, and Fox managed to miss it, too.

Back during the first weeks of OWS, there was a virtual blackout about it on the major networks. Ditto for the Wisconsin protests which preceded it that year.

During the several times Net Neutrality was under attack, spoiler alert, blackout. For that, the once or twice it was brought up on comedy shows, it was always framed as: Wow, boring nerd poo poo, who could understand something so arcane??

My point is, capital controls the gates, and they have no interest in allowing subversive content through. So if that’s the direction the show’s going, I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

thanks alot assbag posted:

I liked this episode and love this show, but man the scene where Michael says "oh Tahani thank you you're such a genius!" and then immediately opens the book and flips through a perfect argument, was super hamfisted

Any page would have been filled with the perfect argument. It's the book of people who primarily go by the name "Doug" (and not by the full name of Douglas or Dougal) which is primarily a western name and certainly didn't rise to prominence as a nickname prior to 500 years ago.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

bbf2 posted:

Any page would have been filled with the perfect argument. It's the book of people who primarily go by the name "Doug" (and not by the full name of Douglas or Dougal) which is primarily a western name and certainly didn't rise to prominence as a nickname prior to 500 years ago.

Look up Doug, it absolutely definitely would have been said more than 500 years ago.
Certainly a western name though.

Talking of that, the Good Place committee saying it would have taken 1400 years surely doesn't matter because time isn't the same in the afterlife? Blah.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Taear posted:

Talking of that, the Good Place committee saying it would have taken 1400 years surely doesn't matter because time isn't the same in the afterlife? Blah.

Jeremy Bearimy

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Taear posted:

No one from a non-capitalist society has gotten in either. Everyone we've met from the good place is an ineffectual, unthinking bureaucrat - blissfully unaware of the harm they are inflicting and their own hypocrisy. The person who seemingly made it closest to actually getting into the good place in the past 500 years was an arch capitalist.

If you want, you can read all this as 'capitalism's harmful effect on society is what prevents good people from getting into the good place!' I think, if anything, the more accurate read along similar lines would be 'the people in the good place have turned the afterlife into the ultimate capitalist dystopia, using the tyranny of their currency of points to separate themselves and their rewards from the rest of existence.'

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rarity posted:

Jeremy Bearimy

Exactly though. Who cares if it's 1400 years when it's Jeremy Bearimy years?
After all they've been in the afterlife for at least 300 years and it's still 2018.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Taear posted:

After all they've been in the afterlife for at least 300 years and it's still 2018.

Jeremy Bearimy doesn't mean that time doesn't pass on earth, it obviously does since the show takes place more or less around our current time, It just means that time in the afterlife doesn't nessecarily follow earth time. Given Michael's reaction to the news, I thought it was pretty obvious that it was 1400 earth years.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Even if it's not, that's still 1400+ more years of torture for every human who's died in the last 500 years (and for the ones before that, but at least some of them deserved it, so...)

I can see why it might never happen, it'd be impossible to film a version we couldn't :goonsay: a flaw in, but I hope that's not as close as we get to the real Good Place. Though I also hope the rest of the GP employees aren't quite as naïve because that would wear thin faaast.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Taear posted:

Jeremy Bearimy, mate

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair, at least it's presented as Michael explaining it to himself rather than to the rest of the cast - it's stuff any human already figured out ... it's the audience watching (effectively) an alien figure it out.
When he explains his revelation to the four humans, I'd expect three of them to nod and say that makes sense, and Chidi to start screaming "That's what I've been telling you all this time, dumbass!"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Taear posted:

You're really hung up about this. I already said this earlier in the thread but you'll just have to accept that time works in whichever way has the most dramatic impact for the show. It isn't some well defined theory of time that you can unravel by obsessing over a blackboard drawing of the phrase "Jeremy Bearimy" in English cursive.

If they say nobody's gotten in in 500 years, then ask yourself: would it be more dramatic for us, the viewers, if the last person to get in was from the 15th century? Or would it be more dramatic if the last person to get in was from 2199 and because of Jeremy Bearimy it was 500 years ago for Michael?

And if they say it'll take 1400 years, would it be more dramatic if it meant "you and the people of earth are going to be waiting a very long time", or if it meant "yeah we already solved the problem yesterday in earth time"?

If you try to interpret it any other way you're going to go the way of Chidi when he tried.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

please can this very good show stop talking about lengths of time this thread is taking years off my life (real 525,600 minute earth years) with this loving terrible conversation

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/cgallello/status/1083584347175862272

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Does "bought flowers from a racist CEO" mean doing good things for bad people is negative points? That would explain why Happiness Pump Doug would be off to the Bad Place.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Rarity posted:

Jeremy Bearimy, mate

I nominate this to be the standard reply any time this comes up again.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The weird thing is that Michael thinks he has a case. If it is all about the pervasive moral rot of Capitalism, the afterlife isn't going to do a thing about it, it's just the stabbing fad of 198000 BC all over again.

So I've got to think that it's a problems with the system systematically undercounting indirect good effects. 2018 Doug didn't get credit for the libraries and firehouses his sales tax helped keep running, or for helping the dozens or hundreds of people employed along the global supply chain employed, or for contributing to, you know, civil society in general.

Some of that flows from the lopsided intent rules, where bad effects get the same treatment if done for deliberately malign reasons, carelessly, or even well-intentioned but good effects don't count without deliberate good intentions. But that can't cover the whole problem, since we still have to answer why people who live good lives while being aware of and believers in the value of community and government-your Leslie Knopes, in other words- aren't getting enough points. So maybe there's a rounding error thing going on too/instead.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Argue posted:

You're really hung up about this. I already said this earlier in the thread but you'll just have to accept that time works in whichever way has the most dramatic impact for the show. It isn't some well defined theory of time that you can unravel by obsessing over a blackboard drawing of the phrase "Jeremy Bearimy" in English cursive.

If they say nobody's gotten in in 500 years, then ask yourself: would it be more dramatic for us, the viewers, if the last person to get in was from the 15th century? Or would it be more dramatic if the last person to get in was from 2199 and because of Jeremy Bearimy it was 500 years ago for Michael?

And if they say it'll take 1400 years, would it be more dramatic if it meant "you and the people of earth are going to be waiting a very long time", or if it meant "yeah we already solved the problem yesterday in earth time"?

If you try to interpret it any other way you're going to go the way of Chidi when he tried.

Because them mentioning the actual specific length of time fucks up the rules they've created and I don't like it.
It'd be so much easier to just say "The last person to enter the afterlife was in 1492!"

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

ashpanash posted:

It's just a show, you should really just relax.

Just repeat that to yourself.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
The dot in Jeremy beremy is literally impossible to comprehend, stop trying.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Bringing up Leslie Knope just reminded me that if they share a universe, Jerry died and is in hell lmao

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

But that's in the future so thanks to Jeremy Bearimy we don't know if–:suicide:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

yorkinshire posted:

The dot in Jeremy beremy is literally impossible to comprehend, stop trying.

It's easy to comprehend. That's Janet's birthday.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Taear posted:

Because them mentioning the actual specific length of time fucks up the rules they've created and I don't like it.
It'd be so much easier to just say "The last person to enter the afterlife was in 1492!"

Mate, Jeremy Bearimy

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Patrovsky posted:

But that's in the future so thanks to Jeremy Bearimy we don't know if–:suicide:

I like to think the demons find him impossible to torture due to his easy going and people pleasing nature

"We're going to pull out your toenails!"
"We'll, wouldn't you know it, I was chased by some raccoons in Ramsett Park and I tripped over a giant rock, didn't see the darn thing, and the nails on my left foot just fell right out and never grew back. Might as well have them match right?"
"Ugggh"

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Koalas March posted:

Bringing up Leslie Knope just reminded me that if they share a universe, Jerry died and is in hell lmao

That is the ultimate Jerry twist of fate. Spends his whole life being great and nice to everyone he meets then ends up in hell due to weird good place rules.