Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

NovemberMike posted:

I got some baharroth blue but what am I supposed to use it for?

Eldar armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mef989 posted:

I'm thinking I might paint some of my backlog as Lamenters, but I have no experience painting yellow or checkers. Any advice on how to do them without it looking like crap?

I am working on a method that uses a zenithal undercoat with a yellow glaze. No luck so far but I'm keeping at it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Finished up the big man Primarneus just now:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That's loving gorgeous.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Finished up the big man Primarneus just now:

Did he get demoted to the 4th company?

Your Ultras are gorgeous as always.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's loving gorgeous.

Thanks man!

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Did he get demoted to the 4th company?

Your Ultras are gorgeous as always.

Ha, thanks! I thought about saying forget the fluff and just painting them all in full 4th Co. colours, but in the end I decided to just go with green cloaks to tie them in colour-wise with the rest of my dudes.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mef989 posted:

I'm thinking I might paint some of my backlog as Lamenters, but I have no experience painting yellow or checkers. Any advice on how to do them without it looking like crap?

For the checkers, go with the third-party 3D printed shoulders from Shapeways. They've got the pattern in place so you can just paint the raised areas.

Link.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Cessna posted:

For the checkers, go with the third-party 3D printed shoulders from Shapeways. They've got the pattern in place so you can just paint the raised areas.

Link.

It sucks that PGTM doesn’t have Whit Scars- they have a bolt but not with the banner in the back.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Greetings thread. 40k has been massively strong in my local area since the latest edition release. I’m always kind of interested in getting into it, but I swear it’s really tough for a newcomer to find basic info these days. The OP here gives a reasonable overview of the lore and flavor of the current factions, but I’m trying to understand the overall meta and update cycle for codexes. I think GW was planning to do a model update and codex for all the factions over the next few years?

Is there an active community of forums out there where I can do a deeper dive on factions I’m interested in? Googling around, it seems most of the web presence for 40k dried up about a year ago. Reddit and what not are all sharing model builds, which is cool but I want to know more about strategies and how different armies play.

Finally, I asked a while back where I should look if I want to play a powers-based (like magic or psycher) shooty army. I think the recommendation then was Chaos Space Marines or Forgeworld Eldar. Is that still a good way to go?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.bolterandchainsword.com

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Gameko posted:

Greetings thread. 40k has been massively strong in my local area since the latest edition release. I’m always kind of interested in getting into it, but I swear it’s really tough for a newcomer to find basic info these days. The OP here gives a reasonable overview of the lore and flavor of the current factions, but I’m trying to understand the overall meta and update cycle for codexes. I think GW was planning to do a model update and codex for all the factions over the next few years?

Is there an active community of forums out there where I can do a deeper dive on factions I’m interested in? Googling around, it seems most of the web presence for 40k dried up about a year ago. Reddit and what not are all sharing model builds, which is cool but I want to know more about strategies and how different armies play.

Finally, I asked a while back where I should look if I want to play a powers-based (like magic or psycher) shooty army. I think the recommendation then was Chaos Space Marines or Forgeworld Eldar. Is that still a good way to go?

You hit it there- Craftworld Eldar or Thousand Sons.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
If you ignore the really bad memes, 1d4chan actually has halfway decent write-ups on every unit for every faction

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

Gameko posted:

Welcome aboard! This group will give you a ton of good info (Bolter and Chainsword is fun), here's some of mine:

The meta subtly shifts every few months or so, usually with a new codex release or due to FAQs / Chapter Approved. The ITC also has a competitive rules set that influences player behavior. While it's fun to pick the latest competitive build, keep in mind it may change in a few months (aka the time it takes to paint all that stuff)! Currently, Knight Castellans are at the top: They're a new kit from GW and have enjoyed a nice reign. Eldar are also pretty cheaky thanks to Dark Reapers.

Ironically, 1d4chan gives great overviews despite the satire. It's not too out-of-date. Other sources (for the competitive side of things):

Note: You don't have to play competitively to enjoy this game - it can even be stressful (wallet + free time to paint = can't keep up with all of the releases). Most of us fall on a spectrum between competitive vs. beer & pretzels.

For funsies, I recommend 40k Badcast and Independent Characters. They're fun, laid back and motivating! The quality is professional as well.

Thousand Sons love them some psychic powers.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Great info! Thanks! Chaos feels like a fun way to go, and I like red. (Though I guess the sons are blue?!)

I’m not SUPER concerned about being competitive. I’ll probably be doing pick up games and some small-point value skirmishes they host at my FLGS, which seem to be popular. I’m really keen to get in on the modeling aspect, as I like painting models but it’s hard to find the time. On the other hand, the people at my FLGS have been warhammering since forever. It’s a large and diverse community and if I can’t fight back at all it won’t be much fun to join in. I know from playing other tactical games with these guys that they tend to take even friendly games reasonably seriously.

I also get worried about buying something that has low/no support, or something I don’t like the theme of. Way back when I first was exposed to 40k I was interested in the imperial guard (or whatever they call them now) because tanks are cool. Lost some interest when I learned they don’t have much magic. THEN I was interested in bolter bitches because miracle magic and flame throwers seemed cool, but the army gets zero support and tends to be weak compared to marines. (At least when I was looking at the meta, it seemed that using miracles properly was absolutely key to success.)

Chaos space marines feels like it’s going to be there for me for the long haul. Question: can I buy the Chaos Marine starter pack and do some conversions to make them thousand sons?

Gameko fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 12, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

While I work on taking stock of those CSM from the Dark Vengeance box I mentioned (I've found everyone except for the dreadnought, which for some reason isn't in the same spot as the rest of my poo poo...), I've been finishing painting up the Dark Angels stuff I've got. Thing is, this stuff has been sitting (painted) on a shelf for like the past year. Is there any special way I need to remove dust from these things in a way that doesn't damage their paint jobs? Or am I fine to just run them under a faucet for a second and then dab them with paper towels to dry?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gameko posted:

bolter bitches

Please don't use this term again.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I’ve dug up old RPG models and started painting. If you’ve used reasonably good quality paint it should stand up to whatever clean job you inflict on them. Personally, I like to wet them then clean with a mild hand soap. Usually if they’ve been on a shelf for a while there are oils and things that you’ll need soap help to remove. It only takes a little soaping up, then I rinse and let them air dry.

If you’ve got a pretty good base coat or the model is super dirty, you can scrub with a soft-bristle toothbrush. That can do a number on cheap paint though.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sorry, sorry. Suffice to say I’m surprised GW is still ostensibly supporting sisters of battle.

Looking around on the GW website, I like all the monsters and cultists and things that the Chaos Marines can field. I think I might start with the start collecting pack then branch out into a more specialized thousand sons force.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Sisters of Battle have a beta codex in the latest Chapter Approved and also should be getting plastic miniatures this year. They seem really interesting.

Chaos troops are still really old but look like they might get an upgrade soon. At the very least I expect to see Black Legion get some love. You can easily take the regular CSM box and make them blue, or go straight Thousand Sons and go crazy.

Daemons also have some magic abilities and offer lots of synergy with CSM.

Grey Knights are all psykers and have a low model count, but their rules are pretty weak.

Tyranids have pskers, lots of quasi-magic abilities, and are fun and quick to paint.

You can add pskers to any Imperium force through detachments. A trio of Primaris Psykers, most Inquisitors, Space Marine Librarians, etc.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gameko posted:

Sorry, sorry. Suffice to say I’m surprised GW is still ostensibly supporting sisters of battle.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Also plastic sisters of battle are coming and you could certainly do them red. And soup-in other imperial casters.

OTOH i think 1k Sons are rad.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Crab-Stuffed posted:

Ironically, 1d4chan gives great overviews despite the satire. It's not too out-of-date. Other sources (for the competitive side of things):

1d4chan is actually great.

WarhammerCompetitive is the absolute worst combination of hivemind and dakkadakka-qualify shitposters.

Probably 10% of the content is good, and the rest seems to be lists that aren't competitive/don't make any sense at all (lots of salamanders lists which make absolutely no good use of the chapter trait, even if you're trying to make mono-codex marines competitive, random piles of units in Chaos lists), copy+pasted netlists from tournaments hoping random people on Reddit can somehow improve on tournament placers, "goodstuff" soup lists that will run out of CP on turn 1, and people who mathhammer the same way physics is taught (a stationary dual SCA leviathan is mathematically better than anything else assuming it's in range, so let's not even bother comparing it to rifleman venerable+X that can actually reach out and touch something on T1 has a better chance of doing something in a meta where everyone runs knights or ways to kill knights -- don't get me wrong, I like leviathans, but if a 24" heavy 5++ is your only armor in 2000pts, it's gonna die before it does anything)

Don't get me wrong. I read it, and some of the content/discussion is generally good, but I imagine most of the posters trying to squeeze everything out of a list to stomp people at LGS tournies, not playing at events, and the community has a bad way of railing on people for trying to run models they like because it's marginally less efficient (lasher maulerfiend vs melee hellforged contemptor, for example, which only starts to actually matter if you're trying to assault a LOW, smash cap, or whatever)

Not to mention the number of "I've never played this game before, but I want to win tournaments. How do I buy a pile of plastic men I'll immediately bin when I get raped by someone who has experience or the meta changes?"

This came out longer than I expected. I guess the TLDR is that I hardly think anyone on that community is actually a competitive player at a tournament level, and I'd be surprised if a lot of them actually enjoy the game.

It's definitely better than the rest of the subs, which are primarily "I painted a thing", but this thread is one of the most enjoyable places on the internet to talk about warhams.

Gameko posted:

Chaos space marines feels like it’s going to be there for me for the long haul. Question: can I buy the Chaos Marine starter pack and do some conversions to make them thousand sons?

You can paint whatever scheme you want, including red (which is their pre-heresy scheme), but you're better off getting a box of rubrics if you want marines, and tzaangors in general. Son's can't take chosen, havocs, or normal CSM unless you run a mix of detachments, which competitive Sons don't do, and converting to rubrics would be a mess.

Drone posted:

While I work on taking stock of those CSM from the Dark Vengeance box I mentioned (I've found everyone except for the dreadnought, which for some reason isn't in the same spot as the rest of my poo poo...), I've been finishing painting up the Dark Angels stuff I've got. Thing is, this stuff has been sitting (painted) on a shelf for like the past year. Is there any special way I need to remove dust from these things in a way that doesn't damage their paint jobs? Or am I fine to just run them under a faucet for a second and then dab them with paper towels to dry?

I wouldn't dab. Just rinse in distilled water if you really care and let them air dry. Dried acrylic is really resilient to moisture

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I know the Kill Team core sets are done, but has there been any word about the Killzone boxes getting another run?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Thousand sons also looks the business with that ancient Egypt theme. Gray knight are also very wizardly, and look cool, but they are fully bottom dog in the meta atm.

If you're looking to dip your feet in, kill-team is a good place to started (if people are playing it in your area). It's extremely more forgiving on your wallet and painting time investment. You also only need a box of 1k sons rubric marines to have a fully fledged kill team (a tzaangor box in addition gives you more options). An aspiring sorcerer, (edit) warpflamer dude, soul reaper canon dude, and add tzaangor & rubric marines to taste, is a pretty decent kill team. A competitive actual 40k tournament list currently probably needs Magnus and a big blob of tzaangors.

e:not heavy bolter, warpflamer

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 12, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I would probably go with Daemons since they're literally made of magic.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Gameko posted:

Great info! Thanks! Chaos feels like a fun way to go, and I like red. (Though I guess the sons are blue?!)

Sons are many colors.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would probably go with Daemons since they're literally made of magic.

Speaking of bottom-tier codices...

It's a great pairing with Sons, though, especially since Tzeentch daemons have the only worthwhile shooting, and learning 40k as a pure assault army against Drukhari or whatever would be really rough.

On the other hand, Daemons let you play Sigmar.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

If you're looking to dip your feet in, kill-team is a good place to started (if people are playing it in your area). It's extremely more forgiving on your wallet and painting time investment. You also only need a box of 1k sons rubric marines to have a fully fledged kill team (a tzaangor box in addition gives you more options). An aspiring sorcerer, heavy bolter dude, soul reaper dude, and add tzaangor & rubric marines to taste, is a pretty decent kill team. A competitive actual 40k tournament list currently probably needs Magnus and a big blob of tzaangors.

Sons don't have a way to take heavy bolters on infantry, do they?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

evol262 posted:

Speaking of bottom-tier codices...

What's the current tier ranking on codices in 8th?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Was literally going to quote this but and post that verbatim.

B4BG demonstrates why he is good once again.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

evol262 posted:

Sons don't have a way to take heavy bolters on infantry, do they?

Not heavy bolters, but they can take the soulreaper cannon which is shorter range with better AP.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 12, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Drone posted:

What's the current tier ranking on codices in 8th?

The problem is that codexes aren’t really ranked on their lonesome anymore. FW has explicitly made allies a core component of competitive 40k. As such, an army of imperial allies (lists with allies are commonly called “soup”) will almost certainly be the best list moving forward.

Why?

1. Unit quality. Necrons have 1 book worth of units, from which to build an army. The imperium have half a dozen books, with another one (sisters) coming soon. It’s much easier to find better options (aka cover weaknesses in your list) when there are many more options available.

2. CP/stratagems. Stratagems are powerful abilities you can use during RT the game that cost x amount of CP. CP is generated by having specific types of units in specific quantities. Imperial guard are extremely points efficient at getting a bunch of CP. As such it makes imperial soup even better. You can use stratagems for your imperial knights using cp generated from your imperial guard.

3. Unit diversity. Related to point 1. However this point is more focused on extreme unit role. Imperial knights are, by far, the best heavy vehicles in the game. So much so that every other competitive list needs to ask itself “can I kills knights”. Imperial guard are among the most points efficient cheap horde in the game. Killing horde and killing knights requires two opposite types of weapons/units.

If you are truly trying to be competitive, imperial soup is the best and it’s likely to get even better in the near future.

That said, eldar soup is probably second best and they are magic / spells / shooty. So that would be good for you as well.

E1: whoops confused gameko with drone, oh well I’m responding to both

E2: the worst codex is probably necrons and grey knights but grey knights can ally with imperials

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 12, 2019

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

:laffo:

1d4chan is trash and the edgelord shtick is really just sad at this point.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Like seriously, linking every other word to the loving R*pe article was old shitck back when ED was still cutting edge edgelord humour.

And beyond that, the insistance on using strikethroughs and piling on paragraph on paragraph rather than actually removing outdated or wrong info makes the tactics pages a chore to read.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think 1d4chan's actual crunch stuff is decent, at least for the armies I'm interested in. I would never want to be part of that "community" or anything, but it's nice to be able to get overviews of the actual tabletop use of everything rather than just the fluff articles the other wikis have.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I think 1d4chan's actual crunch stuff is decent, at least for the armies I'm interested in. I would never want to be part of that "community" or anything, but it's nice to be able to get overviews of the actual tabletop use of everything rather than just the fluff articles the other wikis have.

But you have to read past random rape links and huge amounts of outdated information, and it's not like the people writing it are any better than the idiots on reddit or b&c

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Safety Factor posted:

1d4chan is trash and the edgelord shtick is really just sad at this point.

The trick is that it's not TVtropes. Use it for crunch.

All of the tactics pages have very good breakdowns of units, strats, weapons, and their relative efficiency.

Sure, there's stuff you'll never use (who's gonna drop 600pts on 10 combi-plas termies+sorceror for a single round of overcharged cacophony fire? Nobody unless they're running a gimmick list), but it does give ideas for new players. "Use Hive Fleet Kronos if you want to..."

It's consistently updated with breakdowns from new books (Vigilus detachments were up day 1), the mathhammer is sometimes reasonable, and it's arguably a better reference point for stratagems than the actual books.

If you ignore the community, it's amazing. And for a new player who doesn't know what each faction is about, which units are most efficient (and which ones are borderline instead of complete trash if you like the models), and is trying to decide "what should I play, how should I build it, and how should I run it?", I can't think of a better single source of information

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Cheers to the goons who recommended front line gaming. They released a 2018-summary podcast episode with heavy stats analysis of major tournaments.

Apparently imperial guard were ~40% win rate major tournaments when taken alone. But had a 70%+ win rate when they took a Castellan with them lol

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

The trick is that it's not TVtropes. Use it for crunch.

All of the tactics pages have very good breakdowns of units, strats, weapons, and their relative efficiency.

Sure, there's stuff you'll never use (who's gonna drop 600pts on 10 combi-plas termies+sorceror for a single round of overcharged cacophony fire? Nobody unless they're running a gimmick list), but it does give ideas for new players. "Use Hive Fleet Kronos if you want to..."

It's consistently updated with breakdowns from new books (Vigilus detachments were up day 1), the mathhammer is sometimes reasonable, and it's arguably a better reference point for stratagems than the actual books.

If you ignore the community, it's amazing. And for a new player who doesn't know what each faction is about, which units are most efficient (and which ones are borderline instead of complete trash if you like the models), and is trying to decide "what should I play, how should I build it, and how should I run it?", I can't think of a better single source of information

It's OK if you think using rape as a descriptive word is acceptable. But that isn't acceptable, so 1d4chan is garbage.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Booley posted:

It's OK if you think using rape as a descriptive word is acceptable. But that isn't acceptable, so 1d4chan is garbage.

evol262 posted:

quote:

How do I buy a pile of plastic men I'll immediately bin when I get raped by someone who has experience or the meta changes?"

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have read a bunch of the 1d4chan tactics thread and I don't recall reading anything about rape. I could easily be wrong but nothing stood out.