Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

overmind2000 posted:

USPOL Winter: Trump has never been so isolated and the peaches are closing in.

This is the thing where we said the democrats could call the wall peaches if it made them happy, right? That would be a sick thread title.

EDIT: New page cat pictures.

Priapus Unbound fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Drunk Theory posted:

I'd be ok with 5 billion dollars of canned peaches left on the southern border.

What about a row of lovely peach trees to provide both food and shade? Probably wouldn't grow very well in that environment, but it's still less stupid than Trump's wall

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Young Freud posted:

It's a weird middle ground between "Mall Cop" and "Federal Agent". I once tried out for it and failed. IIRC, there's a lot of testing involving spatial recognition (since you'll be looking at X-ray machines, trying to play "where's waldo" for guns and explosives) and customer service, especially dealing with irate customers. My background is squeaky clean so I failed once too often on those tests. It makes me wonder about some of the stories of TSA agents, because that poo poo was fairly rigorous but I'm guessing it's a case of retesting and retraining.

That poo poo wasn't rigorous all the time.
Two of my fellow Irish friends went to the US to work for the summer in 2002 illegally.
They got TSA jobs at Logan airport, and as this was post-911 so everyone was 110% paranoid.
Yet they got it.
They did it for a full summer, then left. Thankfully as they were rooming with two Czech guys (who also worked at the airport) who were raided a few weeks later and caught with a fuckton of cocaine.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I wonder if the people who have been egging on this continued decent into madness by equivocating both sides and doing damage control for the Republicans feel any guilt at all.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Radish posted:

I wonder if the people who have been egging on this continued decent into madness by equivocating both sides and doing damage control for the Republicans feel any guilt at all.

I'm pretty sure those people declare themselves proud centrists without a hint of irony

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Radish posted:

I can promise you those people have no self-awareness.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

The Fox News Twitter account hasn't posted since election day. Anyone know why?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Beto may not have beat Cruz out for the Senate seat but his coat tails broke the back of the tea party and now the bidness wing of the GOP reasserting itself.

The alt-reich is dead it just hasn't realized it yet.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RuanGacho posted:

I'm pretty sure those people declare themselves proud centrists without a hint of irony

Yeah but until lately the force of government has more or less made all the problems hidden from the privileged classes. Seeing TSA agents working for free and breadlines for federal employees should shake any centrist that thinks there's legitimacy to the GOP's ideology.

DynamicSloth posted:

I can promise you those people have no self-awareness.

Yeah probably.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Tir McDohl posted:

The Fox News Twitter account hasn't posted since election day. Anyone know why?

Supposedly it's a weird stealth protest against twitter for not taking down tweets containing Tucker's home address quickly enough.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Good news for people hjoping to avoid a milkshake rock:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/12/the-rock-says-daily-star-interview-criticising-millennials-100-fabricated-dwayne-johnson

quote:

The Daily Star has yet to comment on whether the interview was fabricated, but has now taken it offline.

Staff at the newspaper suggested the supposed interview was provided to the Daily Star by a freelance journalist and then written up by the staff reporter whose byline appeared on the piece.

The unnamed freelance reporter is thought to be abroad and not responding to messages.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Skex posted:

Beto may not have beat Cruz out for the Senate seat but his coat tails broke the back of the tea party and now the bidness wing of the GOP reasserting itself.

The alt-reich is dead it just hasn't realized it yet.

The business wing is in the process of boiling our oceans and is in favor of racism just not as in your face so I don't really give a poo poo which faction of that death cult is in control.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
When is the next date that gov employees are supposed to be paid? Because my money is that the shutdown wont last much longer after that.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/12/politics/ocasio-cortez-campaign-fined-new-york-workers-compensation/index.html

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet considering the prevalence of AOC news in the thread. Of all the things to get fined on and considering her platform that's not a good look and definitely going to be held against her at some point.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Telsa Cola posted:

When is the next date that gov employees are supposed to be paid? Because my money is that the shutdown wont last much longer after that.

Two weeks from yesterday.

So the 25th, right before most people have to pay monthly rent.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

2 weeks from yesterday.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Kale posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/12/politics/ocasio-cortez-campaign-fined-new-york-workers-compensation/index.html

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet considering the prevalence of AOC news in the thread. Of all the things to get fined on and considering her platform that's not a good look and definitely going to be held against her at some point.

This seems kind of like a nothing oversight. A $1500 fine for not having insurance coverage for a month?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Radish posted:

The business wing is in the process of boiling our oceans and is in favor of racism just not as in your face so I don't really give a poo poo which faction of that death cult is in control.

I'm not saying that they are good guys, I'm just pointing out that they are starting to turn against the religious crazies and that this is evidence of a rift in their coalition.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Skex posted:

I'm not saying that they are good guys, I'm just pointing out that they are starting to turn against the religious crazies and that this is evidence of a rift in their coalition.

Fair enough but the business wing taking back over really doesn't do anything for us unless the fracture is enough that they actually lose power as a collective.

The difference between the business and tea party factions at this point is loudness since it's not like the Smart Business Guys have been any better at running things for the last two decades.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kale posted:

Honestly this seems more like Crowley machine trying to ding her than anything else.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Radish posted:

Fair enough but the business wing taking back over really doesn't do anything for us unless the fracture is enough that they actually lose power as a collective.

The difference between the business and tea party factions at this point is loudness since it's not like the Smart Business Guys have been any better at running things for the last two decades.

They have different priorities. The business wing doesn't care about social issues, they care about making money, the party crazies were a means to an end, as soon as the benefits disappear the fucks business conservatives give about them evaporate as well.

For once divide and conquer working for the forces of good.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Honestly this seems more like Crowley machine trying to ding her than anything else.

It's literally the state of New York enforcing it's rules that apply to all employers operating in the state so if anything it's Cuomo's office. To me it's not so much the amount of the fine but the fact that she's campaigned on being a champion of worker's rights and that this is a huge basic coverage oversight to make this early into your political career if you're going to make that your key policy initiative. It's something that can be easily used against her by political opponents the next time she criticizes them on twitter or in a debate on policy relating to workers and low income people as well. Kind of curious what her response will be. I don't think the usual sick twitter burn response will apply here. Best case scenario for optics is that some low level campaign worker forgot to file some paper work somewhere or something. I definitely don't think it was a deliberate choice by the campaign not to cover their workers for that period that's for sure.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

DynamicSloth posted:

Supposedly it's a weird stealth protest against twitter for not taking down tweets containing Tucker's home address quickly enough.

That seems increasingly unlikely as the months pass.

My theory: they don't want to pay a social media person.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kale posted:

It's literally the state of New York enforcing it's rules that apply to all employers operating in the state so if anything it's Cuomo's office.

Yeah, but how often is it enforced?

Her campaign was new, they might not have realized they needed to pay that particular fee. :shrug:

It's a dumb line of attack. She's a worker's ally because she proposes legislation that protects workers, period. It'd be useful for someone attacking her from the left but that's not gonna happen.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Considering NY State is full to the gills with corruption, a beaurocratic fuckup that is easily resolved is really a nothingburger

Kale
May 14, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, but how often is it enforced?

I assume fairly frequently considering the size of the state and number of employers.......I don't know, I don't have access to the State of New York's paper work on by-law enforcement. It's not always going to make news every single time an employer violates it because it's not always high profile politicians violating the rule.

It's also not a line of attack, it's law enforcement. It's a rule that applies to all employers in the state of New York saying you need appropriate worker's compensation coverage for your employees that was violated and the campaign paid the fine. They wouldn't have had to pay said fee if they'd had the proper coverage either.

This is a line of attack:

Washington Examiner posted:

Meanwhile, Jessica Proud, spokeswoman for the New York State GOP, said: "Hypocrisy at its finest. The so-called champion of workers, when given her own responsibility, is not following the law. It's unbelievable."

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 12, 2019

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It’s not even a blip on the campaign violation radar in a world with Donald Trump or pretty much any other Republican.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Go read what was added to the post, you're missing the point

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

BarbarianElephant posted:

That seems increasingly unlikely as the months pass.

My theory: they don't want to pay a social media person.

Yeah doesn't make much sense to me either. I'd heard something similar, twitter doesn't make FoxNews any money and is more trouble than it's worth. The audience is mostly left wing millennials, who will troll the poo poo out of them, and their allies are either Nazis or Donald Trump Jr.

FoxNews viewers are on Facebook not twitter.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah doesn't make much sense to me either. I'd heard something similar, twitter doesn't make FoxNews any money and is more trouble than it's worth. The audience is mostly left wing millennials, who will troll the poo poo out of them, and their allies are either Nazis or Donald Trump Jr.

FoxNews viewers are on Facebook not twitter.

Comedy option: the last intern took the password with them.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Texas GOP is shoooooook.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So when do the Democrats start focusing specifically on Mitch McConnell and the GOP Senate as the ones making this situation? I feel like they are much more likely to cave and pass a budget than Trump is to budge considering they are somewhat more tethered to actual reality. If they see their numbers for 2020 going to poo poo.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Donnie arrives in hell and satan pulls off his mask and says 'THEY CALL ME.... PEEEAAAACHESSSS'

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Kale posted:

It's also not a line of attack, it's law enforcement. It's a rule that applies to all employers in the state of New York saying you need appropriate worker's compensation coverage for your employees that was violated and the campaign paid the fine.

You're trying to claim she's not a workers rights advocate because of a bureacratic fuckup that had no consequences and has been resolved.

Are you kidding me here compared to how Trump et al barrel over rules this is loving nothing, it was unintentional and is being handled, you just wanted to rail about the Twitter generation

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

StrangersInTheNight posted:

You're trying to claim she's not a workers rights advocate because of a bureacratic fuckup that had no consequences and has been resolved.

Are you kidding me here compared to Trump et al this is loving nothing, you just wanted to rail about the Twitter generation

Forget it, StrangersInTheNight, it's Kale.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Kale posted:

It's literally the state of New York enforcing it's rules that apply to all employers operating in the state so if anything it's Cuomo's office. To me it's not so much the amount of the fine but the fact that she's campaigned on being a champion of worker's rights and that this is a huge basic coverage oversight to make this early into your political career if you're going to make that your key policy initiative. It's something that can be easily used against her by political opponents the next time she criticizes them on twitter or in a debate on policy relating to workers and low income people as well. Kind of curious what her response will be. I don't think the usual sick twitter burn response will apply here. Best case scenario for optics is that some low level campaign worker forgot to file some paper work somewhere or something. I definitely don't think it was a deliberate choice by the campaign not to cover their workers for that period that's for sure.

As someone who's had to deal with applying for worker's compensation insurance in NY state:
1) It's a confusing bureaucracy with complex rules, strict deadlines and it's fairly easy to make a mistake resulting in lapsed coverage
2) The fines are automatic and hefty, and the agency makes no distinction between individual casual employers and IBM

I myself received a multi-thousand dollar fine for a trivial oversight. I was able to get it waived after submitting a response where I explained exactly why I'm an idiot. Maybe this is fodder for a dishonest attack ad (but that's true for half the things she says anyways), but I don't think anyone who's had any experience with the system is going to hold it against her.

Also I don't see how Cuomo's office had anything to do with this, they wouldn't have been involved at all.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh good point, I wasn't even paying attention

Also to set the record straight I am now fully in support of Tlaib having said motherfucker and I think the only reason I was salty about it was I was having a poo poo day

Kale
May 14, 2010

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Are you kidding me here compared to how Trump et al barrel over rules this is loving nothing, it was unintentional and is being handled, you just wanted to rail about the Twitter generation

Yeah it's nothing compared to Trump who deliberately goes out of his way to gently caress people over, but it's an unfortunate set back for somebody that campaigned on those policies. You seem to think I'm trying to attack her by posting some unfortunate news about her campaign or something when it's more like oh poo poo now there's ammunition that the GOP and Ben Shapiro's of the world are probably going to use to rail against her even more.

It's literally already been handled by the way when they paid the fine, but that won't stop the attacks and it being held over her for possibly her entire term considering how under the microscope she is on every single turn of her career so far.

Nocturtle posted:

As someone who's had to deal with applying for worker's compensation insurance in NY state:
1) It's a confusing bureaucracy with complex rules, strict deadlines and it's fairly easy to make a mistake resulting in lapsed coverage
2) The fines are automatic and hefty, and the agency makes no distinction between individual casual employers and IBM

I myself received a multi-thousand dollar fine for a trivial oversight. I was able to get it waived after submitting a response where I explained exactly why I'm an idiot. Maybe this is fodder for a dishonest attack ad (but that's true for half the things she says anyways), but I don't think anyone who's had any experience with the system is going to hold it against her.

Also I don't see how Cuomo's office had anything to do with this, they wouldn't have been involved at all.

Yeah that's basically what I figured. Assuming people plan on commenting on it in good faith which given the current state of U.S Politics I somehow doubt. Fox News is going to mention it every opportunity they get now. It is what it is....

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 12, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Someone want to contextualize and/or debunk these? I assume they're some combination of "actual stats fluffed up to look scary" and "lies", but I'm not sure of the proportion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kale posted:

Yeah it's nothing compared to Trump who deliberately goes out of his way to gently caress people over, but it's an unfortunate set back for somebody that campaigned on those policies. You seem to think I'm trying to attack her by posting some unfortunate news about her campaign or something when it's more like oh poo poo now there's ammunition that the GOP and Ben Shapiro's of the world are probably going to use to rail against her even more.

It's literally already been handled by the way when they paid the fine, but that won't stop the attacks and it being held over her for possibly her entire term considering how under the microscope she is on every single turn of her career so far.

Assuming people plan on commenting on it in good faith which given the current state of U.S Politics I somehow doubt. Fox News is going to mention it every opportunity they get now. It is what it is....

If your fear is that it will be used as ammo why are you contributing to that framing?