Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mega64 posted:

Don’t get me wrong, it’s aged much better than most NES games and is still playable, but the physics are a bit wonky compared to future titles and it’s the worst of all the 2D Mario platformers (besides probably Super Mario Land) simply because of how much each future game added.

It’s a good game but it’s superceded by almost every 2D Mario platformer since.

I'd disagree with the wonky physics claim, but I have trouble with NSMBUD so far so that may be nostalgia and adaptation talking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Its kind of insane that when they finally have a system that wasn’t hosed by a stupid choice of media (N64 and GameCube), gimmicks that don’t work as well as they were hyped up to be (the Wii), or godawful naming and marketing (WiiU, 3DS and its spinoffs), they go and do this stuff. Reading about nintendo is like watching a loop of a kid trying to ride his bike down the stairs.
Idk what you mean. They can only make so many high-budget games and already make more than any other company afaict. They do seem bad at getting 3rd party buy-in. I imagone making good games is a process that you can only scale up to a certain amount.

I imagine ports and remasters havent sold as well for them so far as I'd expect but the wii store wasnt that fun to use.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 12, 2019

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I want Mario 3D world on switch right now goddamn it nintendo why

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Nintendo PiP P!N

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ratjaculation posted:

I want Mario 3D world on switch right now goddamn it nintendo why

NSMBUD will probably sell a trillion copies so I think it’s a pretty safe bet. It’s the last of the big Wii U exclusives so it would be weird if it didn’t get a port.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is a super bad take that would make zero sense for either company. I know its been rumored for years now that Apple has been wanting to get into the gaming industry, but it's pretty clear at this point that those rumors are never going to pan out. Apple does not care about gaming.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

SeANMcBAY posted:

NSMBUD will probably sell a trillion copies so I think it’s a pretty safe bet. It’s the last of the big Wii U exclusives so it would be weird if it didn’t get a port.

Ahem. Fatal frame.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The apple should buy Nintendo thing is especially dumb considering the backlash in Japan if the company was sold to a foreign entity. It'd be like selling Samsung to Tencent or vice versa.

loudog999 posted:

That explains it, it was the first time I've punched the couch in frustration in a long time.

Chill penguin counters spark mandrill who counters armordillo, making the latter two almost free as a result. They're annoying otherwise.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

I said come in! posted:

This is a super bad take that would make zero sense for either company. I know its been rumored for years now that Apple has been wanting to get into the gaming industry, but it's pretty clear at this point that those rumors are never going to pan out. Apple does not care about gaming.

Of course it's a bad take. It's an opinion piece about two tech corporations written by a journalist who has literally zero visibility into the internal affairs or inner workings of either corp.

The dude is just saying stuff

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I said come in! posted:

It's not a bad take at all. The two companies share so many common beliefs and attitudes it's ridiculous. You'd be taking two walled gardens and sticking them together and Apple has shown a considerable interest in shoring up profit losses on the hardware side with services and software products. What's crazy to me is the repulsion people feel toward this, as if the same critiques of Apple don't nearly exactly apply to Nintendo. Really the only thing keeping the deal from going down is the cultural elements related to Nintendo.

The idea of having a Nintendo gaming system with a modern screen, high end WiFi chip and A13 chip is sexy as gently caress, I have to say.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shammypants posted:

The idea of having a Nintendo gaming system with a modern screen, high end WiFi chip and A13 chip is sexy as gently caress, I have to say.

and no buttons

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
This is just what insufferable finance bros do instead of 'shipping fictional characters.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

The apple should buy Nintendo thing is especially dumb considering the backlash in Japan if the company was sold to a foreign entity. It'd be like selling Samsung to Tencent or vice versa.

Chill penguin counters spark mandrill who counters armordillo, making the latter two almost free as a result. They're annoying otherwise.

It’s also much harder in Japan for one company to buyout another company in a hostile take over. It’s also nearly impossible for an outside foreign company to be allowed by the Japanese government to take over a large Japanese “culturally significant” company, which Nintendo is considered

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If a company had to buy Nintendo, I’d chose Apple but it would be a bit depressing if anyone bought them. Some things like internet structures would be better but I think the games would suffer without their weird rear end corporate culture.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I should have went in knowing the weakness of each boss but after killing chill penguin with the buster I got cocky. It really helped to find out that armadillos weapon kills that drat fan whale before he can suck you into the tiny spike pit on the launch octopus stage.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's cool that Smash Bros. has put us in this reality where video game things can't just be unique things and have to be themselves derivative of some other video game thing.

Moo Moo is just a Mario Kart level you weirdos.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Schach posted:

Should I buy NSMBU or Tropical Freeze or the Rabbids XCOM game?? I need a game for intermittent drop in and out good times and I really got burned dropping sixty American dollars on Mario Tennis and finding it one of the worst things I've ever played in my life.

Tropical Freeze. NSMBU is fine but just feels like a slight variation of the same uninspired 2D Mario stuff they've been doing for a decade, whereas TF has some gorgeous, creative level design and a killer soundtrack. Rabbids game is good if you're into that type of game, I just got halfway through it and remembered I don't actually like Xcom-style games. (Which is better than an actual Xcom game, as every time I try one it only takes an hour or two for me to remember that I don't actually like Xcom-style games.)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

This is just what insufferable finance bros do instead of 'shipping fictional characters.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Any tips for early game combat in BoTW? I feel like I'm getting my rear end kicked way harder than I usually do at the beginning of games.

Also, please tell me at some point I'm going to get a weapon that doesn't break after 3 hits. This is getting kinda ridiculous.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Tropical Freeze is one of Retro’s best games and the only reason there is still hate on it is because it wasn’t a Metroid Prime game. Anyone who passes on TF is dumb :colbert:

Zipperelli. posted:

Also, please tell me at some point I'm going to get a weapon that doesn't break after 3 hits. This is getting kinda ridiculous.

You do get weapons that last longer as the weapons you find at the start are all basically rusty traveler swords.

But a lot of people, this is my opinion, fail to see how weapons breaking is supposed to work in BotW. It’s baiscally flowing combat. Once you know a weapon is gonna break you bust it on some smaller chumps face, which is a guaranteed critical, which causes them to fly backwards and drop their weapon which you then scoop up to wail on his dumb rear end friends. A lot of people treat the weapon degrading like a Fallout or Skyrim game where you must clutch to your favorite weapons for ~the perfect moment~. The system isn’t setup that way and if you’re fighting higher tier enemies you’re gonna be scooping their higher tier weapons they drop. One I realized that the only weapons I was saving was some guardian laser swords to give Guardians a real bad day. But again that is my personal opinion!

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 12, 2019

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

If a company had to buy Nintendo, I’d chose Apple but it would be a bit depressing if anyone bought them. Some things like internet structures would be better but I think the games would suffer without their weird rear end corporate culture.

I always thought it would be cool to have a partnership rather than buying them out. Nintendo doesn't do great hardware, and Apple can produce a lot of equipment at cost. Nintendo needs it's identity to produce what it has always produced. There could be something they can work out together.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zipperelli. posted:

Any tips for early game combat in BoTW? I feel like I'm getting my rear end kicked way harder than I usually do at the beginning of games.

Target, hop around, hit them. It shouldn't be that hard.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shammypants posted:

I always thought it would be cool to have a partnership rather than buying them out. Nintendo doesn't do great hardware, and Apple can produce a lot of equipment at cost. Nintendo needs it's identity to produce what it has always produced. There could be something they can work out together.

Yeah it sure would be great if Nintendo consoles were twice as expensive

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Apple Should Buy X articles only exist to try and push up the stock of X

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

Insufferable finance bro fanfic

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Andrast posted:

I mean right now we have unrealized potential in touchscreen, unrealized potential in their infrared sensor and unrealized potential in their HD rumble, all of which add to the costs of the device. The battery life is at best OK, the screen is at best OK and the wifi chip and other components are lackluster. It's a cool little system but it can be improved in almost every single area. Would it be more expensive? Maybe, maybe not.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Andrast posted:

And also if new models of the Switch came out every year and the old version was intentionally slowed down.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Nintendo doesn’t do affordable luxury hardware with the fit and finish of Apple, but saying they don’t do good hardware woefully misunderstands what Nintendo does.

There are three major games hardware companies left standing. Of those three, Nintendo is by far the most consistent in developing and selling unique new hardware input devices for their games. Sony and Microsoft compete on technical specs and have made some halfhearted attempts at new control schemes (lol Kinect & motion plus) while Nintendo had shipped weirdo dual screen portable devices, an incredible successful motion control system, no-glasses needed 3D, and now a portable/home hybrid thing. All of these have sold quite well and enabled new kinds of games. Even the failures have been interesting.

This is the part that Apple and Nintendo have in common. Both companies focus on new hardware UI to enable new kinds of interactions with their products.

Nintendo’s hardware is not janky with lower res screens and slower processors compared to Apple’s because Nintendo is bad at hardware. It’s like that because Nintendo is aiming for a price point that is 1/3 or less what Apple is aiming for. An iPhone is a pocket computer that you live with constantly as a careful responsible adult. A Switch or 3DS is for kids to throw in their bags and drop and generally mistreat.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Switch rpg recommendations....go.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
oh god the insufferable speculation is coming from inside the thread!!

PyPy posted:

Disgaea 5 and that Tales game that just dropped. Octopath Traveler if you can stomach SNES style jrpgs.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Pakled posted:

the old version was intentionally slowed down.

:rolleyes:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/20/16800058/apple-iphone-slow-fix-battery-life-capacity

TL;DR Apple says it does this to preserve the battery life of devices with older batteries, but the fact remains that they do deliberately throttle performance in their older devices.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lmao if you think this

It's not a conspiracy theory. Apple has straight up confirmed this. They just say it's for battery life and user experience, not to force upgrades.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 12, 2019

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pakled posted:

And also if new models of the Switch came out every year and the old version was intentionally slowed down.

lmao if you think this

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Imagined posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/20/16800058/apple-iphone-slow-fix-battery-life-capacity

TL;DR Apple says it does this to preserve the battery life of devices with older batteries, but the fact remains that they do deliberately throttle performance in their older devices.

I believe you can turn that throttling off now.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Imagined posted:

Yes, to keep the device working. As long as you get a new battery it works good as new.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I believe you can turn that throttling off now.

Yeah, after people called them out on it. But they were still doing it secretly.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PyPy posted:

Xenoblade and Pokemon

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PyPy posted:

Xenoblade, Octopath, Tales of Vesperia, Romancing Saga 2

Octopath is a 90s styled game and romancing saga is an actual 90s rpg.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Imagined posted:

Some people might argue that performance in a cell phone is having the battery last all day long, and not loading a web page .2 seconds faster. I might be one of those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

American McGay posted:

Some people might argue that performance in a cell phone is having the battery last all day long, and not loading a web page .2 seconds faster. I might be one of those people.

or you could just replace the battery for like $50

(except people didn't know the cause of the slowdown since apple didn't tell people about the throttling)

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 12, 2019