Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

See, that's why you pay top dollar for their gear.

It’s not a top of the line model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is anyone here familiar with ESS speakers? I found a couple on the side of the road and they seem nicer than the ones that came with the TEAC all in one in my living room.

Not familiar, but from googling it looks like an upmarket brand. Barring weird wiring or impedance requirements from the all in one, I'd say let your ears decide.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BigFactory posted:

It’s not a top of the line model.

The company will service it for you in TYOOL 2019 however.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Google discontinued the Chromecast Audio for good this week, and it's impossible to get them now. It's a shame because that was a nice accessory for old stereo systems - much better than bluetooth receivers IMO. I went ahead and bought myself a second one last night while they were still clearing them out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’m happy I grabbed a refurb Airport Express right after Apple discontinued it a few years back for the same reason. A chromecast audio wouldn’t have worked with iTunes/Apple Music streaming.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

wa27 posted:

Google discontinued the Chromecast Audio for good this week, and it's impossible to get them now. It's a shame because that was a nice accessory for old stereo systems - much better than bluetooth receivers IMO. I went ahead and bought myself a second one last night while they were still clearing them out.

Yeah, just bought one for myself.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
A coworker gave me this Akai 4000DS this morning for free. He got it from someone who found it in a shed where it had been sitting since the late 1980s.

I don't have a before picture, but imagine a piece of equipment that's been sitting in a shed for three decades and is full of dust, dead bugs, spiderwebs, and covered in corrosion from winter humidity.

After a *lot* of work (and a quiet grateful prayer of thanks that it had been stored with the transport disengaged, i.e. no indents in rollers and idler tires) this is the end result. Amazingly, the belts in it are in excellent condition, and the idlers and pinch roller just needed a light burnish to take off some glazing, and the rest of the mech needed cleaning and regreasing.

The physical restoration on the other hand, that was a little bit more involved. Lets just say I've gone through half a tube of metal polish, a sheet of 1500 grit sandpaper, and two of those fuzzy little polishing wheels for my Dremel.

(click for bigger)

It doesn't look 100% perfect, but it it's at least 90ish percent, so I'm happy. The other bonus is that the heads don't have any wear indentations, they were just really filthy, so a deep clean, polish, and demag, and then some internal adjustments and control cleaning, and it sounds great. W&F is in spec, but I think the preamp board could do with a recap, so that is next on the list.

It's a very different use experience to my Teac X3... No push button convenience, this is all solid clunking levers and knobs and switches that click with a very satisfying feel.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That looks really nice. I sold a couple of those (or a very similar model) on ebay to raise some money for a local radio station and got something like $250 each in ~2002. I've always wished I'd tried to keep one for myself.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

metaxus posted:

A coworker gave me this Akai 4000DS this morning for free. He got it from someone who found it in a shed where it had been sitting since the late 1980s.

I don't have a before picture, but imagine a piece of equipment that's been sitting in a shed for three decades and is full of dust, dead bugs, spiderwebs, and covered in corrosion from winter humidity.

After a *lot* of work (and a quiet grateful prayer of thanks that it had been stored with the transport disengaged, i.e. no indents in rollers and idler tires) this is the end result. Amazingly, the belts in it are in excellent condition, and the idlers and pinch roller just needed a light burnish to take off some glazing, and the rest of the mech needed cleaning and regreasing.

The physical restoration on the other hand, that was a little bit more involved. Lets just say I've gone through half a tube of metal polish, a sheet of 1500 grit sandpaper, and two of those fuzzy little polishing wheels for my Dremel.

(click for bigger)

It doesn't look 100% perfect, but it it's at least 90ish percent, so I'm happy. The other bonus is that the heads don't have any wear indentations, they were just really filthy, so a deep clean, polish, and demag, and then some internal adjustments and control cleaning, and it sounds great. W&F is in spec, but I think the preamp board could do with a recap, so that is next on the list.

It's a very different use experience to my Teac X3... No push button convenience, this is all solid clunking levers and knobs and switches that click with a very satisfying feel.

Nice!

I got a 4000DB for like $10. It was visually perfect, and I sold it on for $250 without doing anything technical to it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I found a Sony GX900ES for $15 at the thrift store this weekend. It's nothing special looking but if it's as good as their other ES gear, it should make a nice little 2.0 set up.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Would it be worth it to buy something like this and fix it up?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

fknlo posted:

Funny, I had never heard of that brand until yesterday when I was reading the June 1970 issue of Electronics World magazine. They were comparing automatic turntables of the day and the P-B 2040 was one on their list. It seemed to compare favorably to the Duals and Garrards of the day.

If the description is accurate, that sounds like a great price on a fun project. I got a Dual 1215 from the same era a few months back and fell in love with it. It replaced my Technics table in my setup.

Here's the relevant section from the magazine, if you're interested.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fknlo posted:

Probably not if you're a normal, sane person?

If you like Dwarf Fortress then certainly.

(Serious answer: Those things can have some mighty complicated clock-work inside if they're old enough. Look up a technical/maintenance manual on Vinyl Engine if they have one.)

e: My only Perpetuum-Ebner is a bit older and I hope I never have to take the return mechanism apart.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Just left a weekly auction I attend, and I cleaned up today

A pair of Klipsch KG 4.2 speakers in very good condition. They work great but have some cosmetic dings, and one is missing a leg, but I can unscrew the other legs if that is a piece I can't find.

Not bad for $30 for the pair though!

And I picked this up,

Kenwood TS-520S Short Wave Receiver still in the original box with all original packaging. I can post some more pictures once I unpackage it and take photos to put it for sale online\

Picked it up for $50

I missed out on a Sony PS-X7 turntable. I really don't need one and it looked cosmetically fine, but they didn't know if it worked. Someone else picked that up for $70

e; Unrelated, but I think I’ve mentioned it before. I have a pair of JVC Zero4 s with the original box. They are in excellent condition. Anyone know the best way to sell these or what they might be worth

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 3, 2019

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Got this BIC 940 turntable at the Goodwill for $3 last week. It looks like it's in great physical shape but the platter is frozen solid (and I've probably ruined something by manually turning it). I've been soaking it with penetrating oil for a couple days. Tried a soldering iron to loosen it, tapping it with a hammer, and nothing's working.

Here's hoping it comes free after some more penetrating oil I guess. :(

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Dr.Caligari posted:

Just left a weekly auction I attend, and I cleaned up today

A pair of Klipsch KG 4.2 speakers in very good condition. They work great but have some cosmetic dings, and one is missing a leg, but I can unscrew the other legs if that is a piece I can't find.

Not bad for $30 for the pair though!

And I picked this up,

Kenwood TS-520S Short Wave Receiver still in the original box with all original packaging. I can post some more pictures once I unpackage it and take photos to put it for sale online\

Picked it up for $50

I missed out on a Sony PS-X7 turntable. I really don't need one and it looked cosmetically fine, but they didn't know if it worked. Someone else picked that up for $70

e; Unrelated, but I think I’ve mentioned it before. I have a pair of JVC Zero4 s with the original box. They are in excellent condition. Anyone know the best way to sell these or what they might be worth

The Sony ps-X turntables are super underrated but really solid performers.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

wa27 posted:

Got this BIC 940 turntable at the Goodwill for $3 last week. It looks like it's in great physical shape but the platter is frozen solid (and I've probably ruined something by manually turning it). I've been soaking it with penetrating oil for a couple days. Tried a soldering iron to loosen it, tapping it with a hammer, and nothing's working.

Here's hoping it comes free after some more penetrating oil I guess. :(

It's pretty common with old BICs that didn't get used for years. I recommend going down the rabbit hole and taking it apart, cleaning each part, then carefully regreasing and putting back together. There are a few guides you can find on Google and a few videos on YouTube. I did it a few years ago with my BIC 960 and I love it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
This thing is a solid unit;

Seems like it would be fun to play around with. I don't have a proper antenna, so I could really pick up anything. Should hopefully net a decent price from someone that knows about these

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You're mere steps from the exciting world of overhearing a conversation between two nerds discussing their gear to each other.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dr.Caligari posted:

This thing is a solid unit;

Seems like it would be fun to play around with. I don't have a proper antenna, so I could really pick up anything. Should hopefully net a decent price from someone that knows about these

Not exactly a shortwave receiver. That’s a ham radio. It transmits too. You’ll have better luck selling it as such.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

You're mere steps from the exciting world of overhearing a conversation between two nerds discussing their gear to each other.

Elderly nerds, you forgot that part.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
A bit more than 2 channels again, but I happened upon someone who were moving out of their production offices and getting rid of everything, and one of their conference rooms was wired up with this:

Bowers & Wilkins M-1 satellite speakers, and a (not pictured) B&W AS2 subwoofer.

They were pretty gnarly, but some elbow grease prettied them right up. The sound quality is insane, and getting ~$2000 worth of kit for $60 doesn't feel bad either.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

VladimirLeninpest posted:

It's pretty common with old BICs that didn't get used for years. I recommend going down the rabbit hole and taking it apart, cleaning each part, then carefully regreasing and putting back together. There are a few guides you can find on Google and a few videos on YouTube. I did it a few years ago with my BIC 960 and I love it.

That's what I was looking forward to doing but after soaking this thing in penetrating fluid for a week, the platter still won't budge. :(

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Rearranged my 2-channel stuff

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Best straighten those records so they don't warp.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

evobatman posted:

Rearranged my 2-channel stuff

You need some Beovox to go with the rest of that B&O:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I have some very nice matching white Beovox Redline 60.2 to go with it. They're just not set up right now because of space constraints.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

This dude is absolutely on crack, right?

...Or just I become rich as gently caress from hoarding SL-1200 MKII's?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Good ones are still going for $700-800, I’d guess this guy made the common custom car guy mistake of assuming that modifications increase an object’s value instead of the opposite. There’s a ton of 1200s out there with lovely control boards, thrashed tonearms, busted pop up lights, etc.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

Good ones are still going for $700-800, I’d guess this guy made the common custom car guy mistake of assuming that modifications increase an object’s value instead of the opposite. There’s a ton of 1200s out there with lovely control boards, thrashed tonearms, busted pop up lights, etc.

really? I mean I bought one for $400 once but it came with a nice cartridge.

Recently I bought a pair for that much and they came with 2 unused ortofon DJ carts, road cases, a mixer, and a bunch of other poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You need some Beovox to go with the rest of that B&O:

I always think these look wonderfully huge until I see the power socket hiding behind them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

really? I mean I bought one for $400 once but it came with a nice cartridge.

Recently I bought a pair for that much and they came with 2 unused ortofon DJ carts, road cases, a mixer, and a bunch of other poo poo.

When I say "good" I mean perfect since there's so many thrashed ones. Maybe it's because everyone in SF wants to be a DJ but you're lucky to get a crappy looking one under $500 here.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

EL BROMANCE posted:

I always think these look wonderfully huge until I see the power socket hiding behind them.
My coworker saw me post it and said the same thing! "WOW THOSE ARE SOME BIG SPEAKERS"
Then I pointed to the light socket and laughed.

They do sound pretty big though. MC 120.2 and S80.2

qirex posted:

When I say "good" I mean perfect since there's so many thrashed ones. Maybe it's because everyone in SF wants to be a DJ but you're lucky to get a crappy looking one under $500 here.

Maybe it's because everyone in SF gets paid $absurd?
Even then, the NEW SL-1200 mk7 is only $1000

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yeah, it was initially announced and demoed at $1300 though, and remained announced at that price while people loving flipped a poo poo.

ReLoop announced the compelling and competitive (for DJs) RP-8000 mk2 at the same time for $700 and everybody collectively going “well, that’s the one I want to buy” for several weeks drove them to change it.

And that’s why the Mk7 costs $1000 now. No idea what that does to the also-announced, probably-more-interesting-to-us SL1500-C. I heard it was supposed to cost ~$1000 (which also seems kind of excessive, frankly) but something like ~$700 seems much more fair.

The AT-LP5 is pretty great at $450 (and I’d recommend it to people considering dropping ~$700 on a used 1200) so the 1500 needs to provide enough of an arguable upgrade to be worth much more.

Edit: so apparently everybody seems to be saying that the 1500 will actually cost like $200 more than the Mk7. Which is bullshit. I dunno if that’s because the 1500 is built more like the 1200GR (proooobably not) or if Panasonic really think that cutting out all of the control features, using less durable material, adding an Ortofon Red, and including what must be a real crackerjack of an internal preamp (the Mk7 wont have one) equals a price increase of several hundred dollars.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 28, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah, it was initially announced and demoed at $1300 though, and remained announced at that price while people loving flipped a poo poo.

ReLoop announced the compelling and competitive (for DJs) RP-8000 mk2 at the same time for $700 and everybody collectively going “well, that’s the one I want to buy” for several weeks drove them to change it.

And that’s why the Mk7 costs $1000 now. No idea what that does to the also-announced, probably-more-interesting-to-us SL1500-C. I heard it was supposed to cost ~$1000 (which also seems kind of excessive, frankly) but something like ~$700 seems much more fair.

The AT-LP5 is pretty great at $450 (and I’d recommend it to people considering dropping ~$700 on a used 1200) so the 1500 needs to provide enough of an arguable upgrade to be worth much more.

Edit: so apparently everybody seems to be saying that the 1500 will actually cost like $200 more than the Mk7. Which is bullshit. I dunno if that’s because the 1500 is built more like the 1200GR (proooobably not) or if Panasonic really think that cutting out all of the control features, using less durable material, adding an Ortofon Red, and including what must be a real crackerjack of an internal preamp (the Mk7 wont have one) equals a price increase of several hundred dollars.

I still really like the idea those Reloop's though. Useless to me since I've moved onto a pair of Denon SC5000's, 4 SL-1200 mk2, and Denon x1800. But still really cool. I could see a pair of those plus their Elite2-channel mixer being an endgame setup for DJ's that still like to use the laptop.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I still really like the idea those Reloop's though. Useless to me since I've moved onto a pair of Denon SC5000's, 4 SL-1200 mk2, and Denon x1800. But still really cool. I could see a pair of those plus their Elite2-channel mixer being an endgame setup for DJ's that still like to use the laptop.

Oh hell yeah. They seem like an awesome product for DJs. I’m just personally not a DJ, but I’d love an “endgame” modern direct drive TT now that the anti-skate on my dad’s 1983 Vector Research seems to be inexorably shot.

For a lot of people, that turntable is a 1200. And it’s not like $1000 is too dear in the abstract, if it’s a core hifi component that’s gonna last you functionally for ever. But when the predecessor was going for $400 in box it feels too expensive. And upcharging $200 for a $99 cartridge and a preamp and the removal of features without some attempt at selling people on *why* feels tonedeaf at best.

If you have a phono stage, the $200 can go toward a 2M blue or a similar performing cart (the new line of Audio Technicas) on a 1200 MK7 and you end up with an arguably much better turntable. And unless Panasonic does a good job of explaining why the 1500 is technically superior at playback than the 1200 MK7, I think the sorts of buyers who’d be attracted to the 1500 in the first place (Technics fans and vinyl heads) will prefer the Mk7.

As much as I grumble about spending $1000 on a new 1200, if it’s that or $700 on a used one, I might do the former. But it’s overpriced vs the competition at this point.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 28, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Oh cool I guess this thread is totally dead now.

Welp- just chiming in to say that both the ATLP60 and LP120 are getting major upgrades for spring 2019.

The LP60/LP120 are dead long live the LP60x/LP120x

Improvements include:

-New motors
-New bodies
-Fixed antiskate on the 120 (although apparently AT/Hanpin quietly did that to the old model last year, after lots of complaints, I guess)
-New carts. The 95e on the 120 has been replaced with its successor whose name escapes me (VM95). This is really cool tho because AT launched an entire line of carts based around it last summer, and switching models is as easy as switching the stylus assembly. This means that you can upgrade to something like the top of the line VM95SH Shibata without 1) buying the whole $200 cart 2) having to extensively align anything. I don’t give a poo poo about the cart on the LP60 and neither do most of you.
- :siren: RCA jacks instead of hardwired cables :siren:
-supposedly better preamp/switch

anyway cool. Just thought I’d shout that into the void

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oh cool I guess this thread is totally dead now.

Welp- just chiming in to say that both the ATLP60 and LP120 are getting major upgrades for spring 2019.

The LP60/LP120 are dead long live the LP60x/LP120x

Improvements include:

-New motors
-New bodies
-Fixed antiskate on the 120 (although apparently AT/Hanpin quietly did that to the old model last year, after lots of complaints, I guess)
-New carts. The 95e on the 120 has been replaced with its successor whose name escapes me (VM95). This is really cool tho because AT launched an entire line of carts based around it last summer, and switching models is as easy as switching the stylus assembly. This means that you can upgrade to something like the top of the line VM95SH Shibata without 1) buying the whole $200 cart 2) having to extensively align anything. I don’t give a poo poo about the cart on the LP60 and neither do most of you.
- :siren: RCA jacks instead of hardwired cables :siren:
-supposedly better preamp/switch

anyway cool. Just thought I’d shout that into the void

I like having RCA jacks instead of cables. I still haven't brought myself to modify my SL-1200's but eventually...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I should note that another cool thing about the new AT carts is the inclusion of a 78rpm version. If you’ve ever wanted to play 78s this makes it pretty easy.

Also nerds on the internet have decided that the MicroLine stylus is the best. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I should note that another cool thing about the new AT carts is the inclusion of a 78rpm version. If you’ve ever wanted to play 78s this makes it pretty easy.

Also nerds on the internet have decided that the MicroLine stylus is the best. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I wish that they made it more obvious that you need a different stylus for 78 than 33 & 45's so people stop loving up their records.