Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Godholio posted:

"Here. 800mg Motrin."

My wife's endodontist prescribed this to her Thursday. I don't think I could relate or explain to him why I chuckled when he said that 18 years after I got out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
he already got busted down for wrecking the unit hmmwv on a nighttime bender celebrating

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Who joins the Marines without brain disease?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Kid hasn't even hit puberty yet but somehow he got a stripper knocked up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

As Nero Danced posted:

Kid hasn't even hit puberty yet but somehow he got a stripper knocked up.

Fuckin Jody.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
He’s already late on payments for his Charger, despite being too young to drive or qualify for a loan.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
he doesn't even have to wait for the va to kill him

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Vasudus posted:

JFC lol

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Vasudus posted:

loving brutal.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Y'all fuckin brutal, gatdang

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Vasudus posted:

:staredog:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vasudus posted:

:vince:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
2020 Election Already Awful

quote:

What’s crazy is that no one has even declared yet, and people are already tearing each other apart over the candidates that don’t exist yet. Remember Beto O’Rourke, the cool dad from Texas who took America by storm and that everyone fell in love with? It wasn’t even a month after he lost his challenge to world champion Grandpa Monster impersonator Ted Cruz that Bernie stans were writing up attacks on him saying he’s an evil corporate shill and eats puppies and stuff. One would think they would have been concerned about that during the midterm election, but they weren’t. Some of them were even pulling for him to win. Yet something changed. I don’t want to get all on a conspiracy kick, but I think it was because he was doing about as well as Bernie was in early candidate polls. I’m not going to say that’s what it was, but that’s what it was.

Of course there’s Elizabeth Warren and her likability. Yes. Her likability. I think we invented that word just for Hillary Clinton because no one in history before her was measured on that scale. Sure, people have said they like candidates who they feel “they could have a beer with,” but at the same time we have elected some real assholes. Nixon looked like a Scooby Doo villain wearing a Nixon mask, had the charm of pudding skin, and we elected him twice. George H.W. Bush was as fun as getting socks for Christmas. If you go back further in the past Andrew Jackson was objectively an abusive rear end in a top hat even by contemporary standards and Andrew Johnson was impeached by his own party. Likability isn’t that much of an issue unless you happen to be a woman I guess.

Then there’s the people who hate Kamala Harris because she was a district attorney, the people who hate Biden because of the Anita Hill hearings, some hate Michael Bloomberg who’s well... Michael Bloomberg. Some hate Corey Booker because he groped a girl in 1992, and then there’s Bernie, who had to apologize to his 2016 campaign staff because of sexual harassment some endured. There’s others people are talking about, like Amy Klobuchar, Julian Castro, John Kerry, and Sherrod Brown. The only one whose buzz that isn’t negative so far is Brown because he has the name recognition of any randomly selected 15th-century Doge of Venice.

Seriously though, people are already tearing each other apart saying they won’t vote for a woman, or a white man, a “corporate Democrat,” or Bernie under any circumstances. They’re already disputing whether economic issues are more important than social issues; they’re fighting over what counts as being a real progressive, fighting over who is more electable. Mind you, literally no one has even declared they’re running yet and we’re already rehashing all the same poo poo that made the 2016 election so god-awfully divisive.

This election is gonna suck worse than the last presidential election because way too many people see this as 2016 Election II: The Purge. They’re treating it as a choice between Bernie or Hillary and are bringing every bit of bad blood and old feuds into an election that might not have either one of them running in it. Yes, it’s important to have a good candidate with strong policies and a positive, progressive vision come out of the Democratic primary, but we’re setting ourselves up early for a candidate already wounded from a brutal knife fight over petty measurements of purity and tribalism. Unless we tell these people that we aren’t here for their crap, and focus on building a coalition of likeminded people to keep the election positive and clean we’re going to end up more divided and wounded than we were going into it. The 2020 election is bigger than not getting everything thing you want out of it and flipping over the table out of spite and kneecapping everyone on the way out. I’m just not hopeful we’re going to realize that.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm going to be honest whoever wrote that sounds like a loving idiot

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

He's pointing out the same poo poo that terrifies me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

This part is pretty accurate

quote:

focus on building a coalition of likeminded people to keep the election positive and clean we’re going to end up more divided and wounded than we were going into it. The 2020 election is bigger than not getting everything thing you want out of it and flipping over the table out of spite and kneecapping everyone on the way out. I’m just not hopeful we’re going to realize that.

But the rest is a bit wordy

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

my kinda ape posted:

I'm going to be honest whoever wrote that sounds like a loving idiot

Pretty much

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The whole point of the primary is to fight it out and choose the best candidate. Part of that is weeding out bad candidates by pointing out that they suck for various reasons. If you choose a bad candidate for the election then...they lose, as we have so painfully found out.

The very fact that they can't understand why people would want Beto to win in the election against Cruz and not want him to be president when there are better choices available is lol

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

Jesus Christ vas

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

my kinda ape posted:

The whole point of the primary is to fight it out and choose the best candidate. Part of that is weeding out bad candidates by pointing out that they suck for various reasons. If you choose a bad candidate for the election then...they lose, as we have so painfully found out.

The very fact that they can't understand why people would want Beto to win in the election against Cruz and not want him to be president when there are better choices available is lol

I was reading it less as "we shouldn't have primary fights" and more a warning against the extreme toxicity of the Bernie vs Hillary fight, and the continued relitigation of the election years later with no actual new information and no resolution - and no point. Against using AOC and Warren and whoever else as avatars in an angry and ultimately useless ideological fight.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It's incredible how many people have convinced themselves that ideological disagreement is either illegitimate or even impossible. Don't like a candidate's positions? Check again, actually you just hate winning.

I too think primaries are good and healthy but i feel like that's actually the minority position in the D party now. It used to confuse me how often liberals in foreign countries allied with dictators but now that there's so many examples of prominent liberals being aghast at the concept of a democratic primary, I get it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/KristySwansonXO/status/1083891186656411648?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's already a chorus of people saying Kamala Harris should be supported as a candidate and that being a cop makes her even better

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i cannot decide if her nephew is a cat or if there are racism dragon balls she keeps using to bring him back only to be killed again

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was reading it less as "we shouldn't have primary fights" and more a warning against the extreme toxicity of the Bernie vs Hillary fight, and the continued relitigation of the election years later with no actual new information and no resolution - and no point. Against using AOC and Warren and whoever else as avatars in an angry and ultimately useless ideological fight.

The fight will continue until it gets a resolution, and a big part of that is going to need to involve the Clintonites realizing it's a conflict about ideology and policy, and it wasn't just that Bernie fans hated women. That's part of why all the pushback on AOC from the Dems is about her not knowing her place - they won't acknowledge ideological disagreements exist and they can't call her a bro.

I say this as someone who actually supported Hillary in 2016 and was repeating a lot of those same lines back then (which to be fair a lot of the Bernie guys were odious bros, but that also describes the internet in general). There's a real and critical ideological set of fissures in the dem coalition, and the only way to move forward is to settle those, and that requires conflict and honest dialogue.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:brainworms:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Eej posted:

There's already a chorus of people saying Kamala Harris should be supported as a candidate and that being a cop makes her even better

She wasn't even a cop! She was a district attorney. Are we calling prosecutors class traitors now? Good grief.

I haven't even decided who I'm going to support - the primaries haven't happened yet! But man am I ever concerned that a vicious, contentious primary is just going to sow more division in the Democratic party and I hope whoever the eventual nominee is we all come together to support them and pull that voting lever, rather than relatively minor ideological disagreement let Trump win a second term.

E: This includes Warren whose policy I like but personally I think she's not the sharpest and Gabbard who I called a traitor in ~2015 for sucking up to Al-Assad, but tbh she can thank Trump for that no longer being disqualifying.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 12, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm not exactly thrilled by Harris but she'll probably get the nom.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

She wasn't even a cop! She was a district attorney. Are we calling prosecutors class traitors now? Good grief.

I haven't even decided who I'm going to support - the primaries haven't happened yet! But man am I ever concerned that a vicious, contentious primary is just going to sow more division in the Democratic party and I hope whoever the eventual nominee is we all come together to support them and pull that voting lever, rather than relatively minor ideological disagreement let Trump win a second term.

:nallears:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Meltdown may came early

The Iron Rose posted:

E: This includes Warren whose policy I like but personally I think she's not the sharpest and Gabbard who I called a traitor in ~2015 for sucking up to Al-Assad, but tbh she can thank Trump for that no longer being disqualifying.

Prosecutors are worse than cops

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

The Iron Rose posted:

She wasn't even a cop! She was a district attorney. Are we calling prosecutors class traitors now?

yes

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

She wasn't even a cop! She was a district attorney. Are we calling prosecutors class traitors now?

Cop Adjacent, guillotine

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

It depends entirely on the types of cases they want to pursue and her record on this isn't good.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bolow posted:

Cop Adjacent, guillotine

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I mean, he's not wrong. I don't disagree that she did things as a state's attorney that are disqualifying and that she should be raked over the coals for (Mnuchin's mortgage thing, declining to prosecute some crimes because the accused were wealthy, etc), but merely going "She's a cop, so..." and calling it a day is stupid as gently caress Chapo bullshit. The majority of people you need to come out and vote are gonna tune that poo poo out, you need to tell them specifics otherwise people will roll their eyes at you.

I liked Harris a lot before I was aware of her issues as a DA, but before that, people just spamming "she's a cop" was the last thing to change my mind.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

It depends entirely on the types of cases they want to pursue and her record on this isn't good.
Yeah, this.

Me personally, IDK who I'm gonna vote for in the primaries but I'll be voting as far to the left as I can, and whoever the Dem nominee is in the general will get my vote. Even if it's loving Gabbard.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 12, 2019

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I'm not sure if worse. Often terrible in different ways. Still bad.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
can't believe I can't post that Kamala Harris is a cop without having to post her crimes against humanity every time in the off case that the one CE reader that doesn't know about her might click New Posts

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Play nice

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Would she be worse than Trump? No?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Would she be worse than Trump? No?

I don't see the point of asking this. It's like asking if they breathe air.