Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Captain Foo posted:

whether or not stymie is right has no bearing on whether you should be a stymie-quoter, for fucks sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also lol no it is not sustainable for everyone to have some loving hobbit hole on an acre of grass, are you high? centralizing people means you have actually walkable communities connected by high-density rail transit for shipping goods and people around.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

uncurable mlady posted:

also lol no it is not sustainable for everyone to have some loving hobbit hole on an acre of grass, are you high? centralizing people means you have actually walkable communities connected by high-density rail transit for shipping goods and people around.

dude did you really think i wanted 3d hobbit holes irl

what does that even mean

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

dude did you really think i wanted 3d hobbit holes irl

what does that even mean

idk, you were the one that posted it, you tell me

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

eyyy im postin' here!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

uncurable mlady posted:

idk, you were the one that posted it, you tell me

4d3d3d3 hobbit holes maybe

also public transport owns, yeah! Copenhagen metro ring extension opens this summer :neckbeard:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

uncurable mlady posted:

an acre hobbit hole for every 3 people and you're already at 1920 people per square mile and fit the whole world population into a land area the size of half of north america

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

if everyone lived at 50 x arms distance, it would be super annoying to go to the store

lets use another dimension and 3d these hobbit holes. pack us up

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

fishmech posted:

an acre hobbit hole for every 3 people and you're already at 1920 people per square mile and fit the whole world population into a land area the size of half of north america

good thing the world population never increases

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

if everyone lived at 50 x arms distance, it would be super annoying to go to the store

lets use another dimension and 3d these hobbit holes. pack us up

also this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i wonder if that second result is genuine algorithm or possibly a paid placement :thunk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
2010 world cup kicked fuckin rear end

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"cities shouldn't have a large number of narrowly defined neighborhoods" is a pretty weird flex but ok

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here's the new orleans neighborhood map - and those are all area names that've been used by the residents for generations. there are 72 (the linked map has an extra for the navy hq)

the city also has a ward system that's from like 1850 AND an urban planning district map (that mostly just groups the neighborhoods from that map together)

im gert town

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
in austin these are all canon:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

huh theres a cph one too

lots of truth there in this, though its clearly a couple years old. i live near "kinda shady" and its been 5+ years since the dealers were gentrified out

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 12, 2019

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

huh theres a cph one too

lots of truth there in this, though its clearly a couple years old. i live near "kinda shady" and its been 5+ years since the dealers were gentrified out

does christiania still exist?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Penisface posted:

does christiania still exist?

yeah.

some 10 years ago, the squatters created a foundation which has bought the grounds from the state, so its now p much legal in that sense

however, our dumbfuck govt still wants to eradicate cannabis & the cops have been raiding pusher street regularly for years, causing territory spats & gun violence in copenhagen generally

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

in austin these are all canon:

im the lazy computer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SO DEMANDING posted:

im the lazy computer

stop all the downloadin or whatever, its up to you

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://boingboing.net/2019/01/11/flipping-the-bird.html

quote:

Last month, I published a post discussing the mountains of abandoned Bird Scooters piling up in city impound lots, and the rise of $30 Chinese conversion kits that let you buy a scooter at auction, swap out the motherboard, and turn it into a personal scooter, untethered from the Bird company.

In response, Bird sent us a legal threat of such absurdity that we are publishing it in full, along with a scorching response from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, as a kind of celebration of truly world-class legal foolishness.

In Bird's legal threat, they imply that by linking to a forum in which the existence of conversion kits was under discussion, I had violated the anti-trafficking clauses of Section 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the 1998 law that limits the dissemination of "circumvention tools" that bypass access controls for copyrighted works -- for example, tools that let you extract the video from an encrypted DVD.

First of all, talking about a place where people are talking about circumvention isn't circumvention or illegal “trafficking” in circumvention technology. The US Copyright Office -- which oversees the DMCA -- publishes a report every three years in which they extensively discuss the existence of circumvention methods. It's just not illegal to talk about circumvention technology.

But the hits keep on coming: the conversion kits that I wrote about aren't even circumvention devices. The DMCA prohibits bypassing technological measures that effectively control access to copyrighted works, and prohibits trafficking in those technologies or technologies that bypass technological measures that prevent infringement. The conversion kits don't bypass a locked bootloader to access or alter the firmware on a Bird Scooter. You get the kit, remove some screws, and put in the new logic board. If motherboard swaps were circumvention, then selling someone a screwdriver could be an offense punishable by a five year prison sentence and a $500,000 fine. Obviously, it’s not.

We've been doing this for decades, and every year, the number of baseless legal threats from corporations that don't like being criticized goes up. Thin-skinned corporations have always been with us, but the media has never been more vulnerable: cash strapped, underinsured, and easy to frighten.

We don't back down. We aren't rich and we aren't powerful, but we know our rights (attentive readers will know that I've pledged myself to killing Section 1201 of the DMCA -- you'd be hard pressed to find someone harder to bullshit about DMCA 1201). We've got good friends: the Electronic Frontier Foundation has our back.

Did you get a nastygram like this from Bird? Tell us about it. There's strength in numbers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

whoa DMCA circumvention clause, thats a blast from the past

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its ok bird, i deleted the file within 24 hours

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

remember DeCSS

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

poo poo used to be cooler

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

i still have all 3 of those shirts

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

uncurable mlady posted:

Is a wash cycle considered code obfuscation?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

there was a perl decss that was like a 50 char regex and all the nerds were like "you cant forbid such a short string"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

or the CSS keys that were “just some numbers”

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the nerds were right, though

it was totally impossible to suppress piracy via censorship, but pretty much all of the valid uses for such software were erased from the marketplace

there was never the thriving aftermarket for dvd players/copiers/authoring tools the way there were for vhs, because just being able to read a dvd was potentially a lawsuit

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was totally impossible to suppress piracy via censorship, but pretty much all of the valid uses for such software were erased from the marketplace

there was never the thriving aftermarket for dvd players/copiers/authoring tools the way there were for vhs, because just being able to read a dvd was potentially a lawsuit

what

a dvd player and copier is called "a computer". a dvd authoring tool is called "a video editor". computers are popular, video editors arepopular

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

bonus is that we pack everyone into a handful of mega-arcologies and countervalue becomes a much more economical (and ecologically friendly! :yayclod:) nuclear war targeting plan

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also lol nobody's using DVD anymore anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah uh there was no "thriving aftermarket" for "dvd copiers" or whatever because a computer with a dvd drive and free software was all you needed. um

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sagebrush posted:

yeah uh there was no "thriving aftermarket" for "dvd copiers" or whatever because a computer with a dvd drive and free software was all you needed. um

The Hammacher Schlemmer catalog would have me believe otherwise

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

what

a dvd player and copier is called "a computer". a dvd authoring tool is called "a video editor". computers are popular, video editors arepopular

due to the technical definition of "a computer" anything with a MRC

quote:

How to Use MRC on a Calculator. The "MRC" function on a calculator is short for "Memory Recall." When you use the separate "Memory" button to store a particular number in your calculator's memory, you use the MRC button to bring that stored number back up on screen.

fits the definition of computer

please advise, over

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

valid uses? you have to describe that to me

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BMan posted:

The Hammacher Schlemmer catalog would have me believe otherwise

are you my dad?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
new hotness for AVs: weaponized lidar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

syscall girl posted:

due to the technical definition of "a computer" anything with a MRC

fits the definition of computer

please advise, over

oh poo poo, is that what those buttons are for?

honestly never knew that. how’d i stay alive this long!?