Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I know that being a goon has made me ultra-cynical because I kept waiting for the train to slam on the brakes or lose power or something and for all of them to fall on their asses. Glad they didn't though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Working in the private sector sounds like a nightmare. I legit don't know how any of you do it.

E: Well, except for D-Link. Being a boss probably takes some of the sting out of it.

When I first started at my insurance company, we had just acquired another one. A lot of insurance stuff is just "this is how the company has interpreted the existing laws and your job is to uphold those interpretations. Essentially it becomes second nature and you just rock and roll. Of the 30 or so claims reps my company absorbed, all but 4 were gone in a year because it was like telling someone they walked wrong their whole lives and everytime they took a step they were told they were loving up.

Coincidentally this was around the time they slashed everything in our literally award winning training department. The private sector is a nightmare but hey Trump cant make me work without pay!

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
When we bought out a bunch of competitors we laid off a lot of their IT/Tech staff. It loving sucked and I'm fairly sure our IT director is still salty over having to be the one to do it. So yeah, private sector does suck unless you happen to luck out

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

C-Euro posted:

I know that being a goon has made me ultra-cynical because I kept waiting for the train to slam on the brakes or lose power or something and for all of them to fall on their asses. Glad they didn't though!

When they went slow motion I thought "uh oh the train is gonna hit the brakes" but it was really some solid teamwork choreography.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Just wait till these dudes get elected to congress and some qanon dude tries to own them by posting this video

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

Petite Dinklage posted:

Ya'll want to see the worst movie trailer I have ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ui6m_eEEOI

Oh man I just saw this today when I went to see Spiderman. It looks so awful, and there was another cringey Christian one called overcomer or something that looked just as bad. I was starting to wonder if I walked into the wrong movie.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

Oh man I just saw this today when I went to see Spiderman. It looks so awful, and there was another cringey Christian one called overcomer or something that looked just as bad. I was starting to wonder if I walked into the wrong movie.

I'm taking my kids to see Spiderman in a couple hours, so I should expect to see these?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Petite Dinklage posted:

Ya'll want to see the worst movie trailer I have ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ui6m_eEEOI

I legit thought up until the last third it was gonna be "BUT IT WASN"T GOD WHO ANSWERED HER PRAYERS. SOMETIMES DEAD IS BETTER"

I was really dissapointed

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

Intruder posted:

I'm taking my kids to see Spiderman in a couple hours, so I should expect to see these?

Oh yeah I would think so. Get ready to roll your eyes SO hard

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Intruder posted:

I didn't when I went to Alamo Drafthouse, but I don't think they show crap movies like this.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Intruder posted:

That is when I saw the trailer. I don't know how they got so many relatively well known B-list actors to be in it. Usually these types of movies trade in the D-list Kevin Sorbo's of the world

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Making a lasagne with eggplant in place of pasta today. Hope it doesn't suck.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Petite Dinklage posted:

That is when I saw the trailer. I don't know how they got so many relatively well known B-list actors to be in it. Usually these types of movies trade in the D-list Kevin Sorbo's of the world

God Is Not Dead revealed that christians literally believe that an athiest is someone who is mad at god and pretends he doesn't exist as a result of this which is hilarious

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BlindSite posted:

Make sure to salt the eggplants ahead of time to draw out the moisture

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Make sure to salt the eggplants ahead of time to draw out the moisture

Salted and a ten minute bake in a hot oven ;)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
People are making the Spiderman cartoon movie to be some life altering experience and not just a real good comic book movie. What’s the deal?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People are making the Spiderman cartoon movie to be some life altering experience and not just a real good comic book movie. What’s the deal?

We have a real problem with hyperbole. IE the new Star Wars murdered my childhood as opposed to it being a little boring and dumb.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It was surprisingly excellent though. Fun, thoughtful, takes full advantage of being a visual medium, and has a decent soundtrack to boot.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Working in the private sector sounds like a nightmare. I legit don't know how any of you do it.

E: Well, except for D-Link. Being a boss probably takes some of the sting out of it.

So much of our business is municipal or federally funded that sometimes it feels as though it is a public sector company

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People do that for pop culture all the time. Personally I'd rather everyone discuss current events through the lens of various Spider-Men than Harry loving Potter, so I'm going to call the hyperbole a good thing.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The hype reminded me of watching black panther with everyone saying it had to be seen.

It was just a pretty generic super hero movie. Well done and all but not mould breaking.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

We live in a hyper consumerist culture where consumption is part of our identity. This often manifests in normally socially conscious people taking 'representation is good' to a massive extreme where 'representation is good and we should praise diversity' becomes 'it's a MORAL ACT OF GOOD to give money to Literal Disney to support a movie' because capitalism has made slaves of us all and the easiest way to show appreciation is to consume.

That and people form emotional bonds with pop culture, Spider-Man is a hero a lot of people love because he was designed that way, in a time of billionaire playboys and supers men Spidey was just a dork from New York who got bit by a bug and started fighting muggers in his block. A movie that's a giant love letter to a character like that appeals to fans, it's cheap, yea, but it works.

Also it's a real good movie, and that always helps.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BlindSite posted:

The hype reminded me of watching black panther with everyone saying it had to be seen.

It was just a pretty generic super hero movie. Well done and all but not mould breaking.

For me it’s less that it was an above average superhero movie and more that they managed to include so many aspects of African and African-American culture, it’s that representation and appreciation of black culture in mainstream media that’s all too often lacking in the US. Not that one can mistake a multi-billion dollar company releasing a movie with decent minority representation for true egalitarianism, but it’s better than the status quo.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

They're great but the dude in the red jumpsuit is the best.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I get why it was a good move socially and artistically my dude I just didn't think it was narratively that amazing as it was often portrayed.

You can think something is cool for how it does what it does while still thinking the narrative is a little lacking.

I don't like how people are sometimes scared to be honest about a story because of how it's telling the story if you follow.

Like the reviewer who didn't give it a perfect ten and was accused of "ruining it's rating" being called insensitive and racist in some circles etc because he rightfully pointed out that while well executed it was somewhat unoriginal.

Exploring unique cultures and celebrating them is cool and good but if that's the ONLY thing that stands out it's not great. Then again I read a whole lot and watch a whole lot it takes a bit to get my dick hard narratively.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1084228372811730944

jesus christ

As a result, U.S. officials said there is no detailed record, even in classified files, of Trump’s face-to-face interactions with the Russian leader at five locations over the past two years. Such a gap would be unusual in any presidency, let alone one that Russia sought to install through what U.S. intelligence agencies have described as an unprecedented campaign of election interference.

President spy, so what

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

WhatIsThyBiddingMaster.gif

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

So much of our business is municipal or federally funded that sometimes it feels as though it is a public sector company

Yeah but your company wasn't founded by your grandfather 63 years ago and grew from 5 employees to 6000 employees and then won't be sold by your dad for slightly more than ~half a billion dollars to a competitor twice your size that has no loving clue how to make the two companies one.

Also I'm not associated with the Family that owned my company, I think my post implied that I was. I only brought that up because D-Link from what I understand is from a similarly structured family owned company that isn't as large.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You work in the trucking industry? They're second only to the ocean shipping industry when it comes to burying assets under levels of subsidiaries to shield from liabilities. My dad drove for years for affiliated foods in texas, but during that time he worked for 2 or 3 different corporate entities.

Yes, sort of.

Skwirl posted:

Who bought you? Was it Hoovestahl?

Brinks.

Flikken fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 13, 2019

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Flikken posted:

Yeah but your company wasn't founded by your grandfather 63 years ago and grew from 5 employees to 6000 employees and then won't be sold by your dad for slightly more than ~half a billion dollars to a competitor twice your size that has no loving clue how to make the two companies one.

Yes, sort of.

Brinks.

You get a cut of that cash?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

BlindSite posted:

You get a cut of that cash?

I just edited my post, I'm not associated with the family that owned who I worked for. I did get a bonus to not jump ship during the sale period and if I understood the terms of the bonus I should be getting my last cut of the payment soon.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BlindSite posted:

Good cheese and tomato sauce and it will be fine

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

Good cheese and tomato sauce and it will be fine

Turned out awesome. I buy my cheese and sauce from an Italian dude who doesn't speak English outside of "gday" and "beautiful" to every cutie that walks past at a farmer's market. I kind of doubt his cheese is legally produced but it's amazing.

Its my ace in the hole whenever I cook for someone.

Edit: I also got a 30 hour sour dough loaf to eat for my carb refeed today and it's everything I dreamed it to be.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 13, 2019

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Flikken posted:

I just edited my post, I'm not associated with the family that owned who I worked for. I did get a bonus to not jump ship during the sale period and if I understood the terms of the bonus I should be getting my last cut of the payment soon.

Ah I understand now.

That sucks dude. It's a rough situation to be in that limbo where you're not sure if you're going to get turfed or not.

The good news is that people who can manage anything in supply chain these days are almost garunteed a job.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Flikken posted:

Also I'm not associated with the Family that owned my company, I think my post implied that I was. I only brought that up because D-Link from what I understand is from a similarly structured family owned company that isn't as large.

Yes, sort of.

Brinks.

The inevitable end to a family owned business is that someday a successor generation will have no interest in the company, be it sooner or later.

e: And I hope your limbo ends soon.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

The inevitable end to a family owned business is that someday a successor generation will have no interest in the company, be it sooner or later.

Our founder is still chairman of the Board but his son had enough votes to force the sale. To say that he is pissed is an understatement.

We own our own headquarters building and our Founder has banned any of the new company employees from even coming up to the executive floor.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

That's brutal. drat

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

They've been working on transferring me back to Ohio since last November, I have a landing spot where the manager really wants me there but everything just sort of paused for like 6 weeks and is only just now moving again. I still have not been formally offered a new position and had to go through the whole application and interview process to get into their hiring system even though I am one of their employees now....sort of.

Everything that is happening to me will be happening to around ~75 other Branch managers, its just happening to me first.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Glumslinger posted:

President spy, so what
Someone in USPOL posted a tweet that said : "Trump projects all of his faults and problems onto others. Trump started his Presidential ambitions by saying President Obama is an un-American foreign asset."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Look at the bright side

No altoona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Look at the bright side

No altoona

Thank.

loving.