Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Jesus, Kubera. Girl better get godhood or something at the end of this. I'm going to be pissed if she really does end up dying miserably and alone.

That said, I am super interested in finally finding out what was/is going on with her mother/hometown. That mystery has been teased since like the fifth panel of the entire drat comic.

Been waiting for a while to let a backlog stack a bit since this comic is good yet slow. Guess it's time to read again.

Regarding the overal story, the author had the entire storyline ready ahead of time, and iirc this is indeed officially labeled a tragedy. I'm not expecting happiness here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol I'd recommend just waiting for it to finish to binge it. Its so brutally slow week to week that I can't read it like that

I don't know if anyone else reads the series by the breaker guys but its possibly nearing its end. Its kind of hard to tell. Its also stuffed full of fan service compared to the breaker

https://mangadex.org/title/18571/trinity-wonder

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've purposely been ignoring Kubera since the end of Season 2, just so I can enjoy having an entire season to binge.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hardcore Leveling Warrior is pretty good and updates all the time. Lotta story development lately also. Definitely worth a look if you haven't checked it out yet.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Wait what? That manhwa takes place in the same world of The Breaker? Or am I not getting what Murim means? Either way, I'm glad, because maybe that means they'll finish up The Breaker afterward.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gologle posted:

Wait what? That manhwa takes place in the same world of The Breaker? Or am I not getting what Murim means? Either way, I'm glad, because maybe that means they'll finish up The Breaker afterward.

Not same world from what I can tell. Just same authors and murim is a thing in both.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

I'm under the impression "murim" is a very general fantasy term for "the secret society of martial artists" in Korean stuff.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

lol I'd recommend just waiting for it to finish to binge it. Its so brutally slow week to week that I can't read it like that

I don't know if anyone else reads the series by the breaker guys but its possibly nearing its end. Its kind of hard to tell. Its also stuffed full of fan service compared to the breaker

https://mangadex.org/title/18571/trinity-wonder

I thought it was like a breaker situation where this was gonna be the end of part 1

I like trinity wonder but I hope they get back to the breaker soon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm under the impression "murim" is a very general fantasy term for "the secret society of martial artists" in Korean stuff.

It's this. A bunch of series have the murim being a thing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So apparently English-speaking readers aren't the only ones with a bunch of dumbass obnoxious fans who constantly complain any time the protagonist isn't in a chapter, because the Kubera author (who someone translates the comments of below each chapter on webtoons) specifically said "so a lot of you have been complaining about not seeing Leez/Yuta." Fortunately she is very cool and basically responded with "too bad, this is how I wrote the story."

The readers who make those sorts of comments seriously confuse me; I genuinely can't understand the mindset that would get so incredibly upset and frustrated at not seeing the main character. Especially in a series like Kubera that has a zillion interesting characters, though people also did this a bunch during the Mori Hui part of God of High School (which was also stupid, since Mori Hui was great and the choice to feature him for such a long time was a really good one).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just a note, Gosu is on indefinite hiatus.

The story author was diagnosed with cancer (I think Lymphoma?) last summer.

He's continued working on the webtoon while undergoing tests and receiving treatment, but he feels like he's nearing the breaking point (both physically and mentally) and needs to take a break.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

oh poo poo. that sucks

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
that does suck. Gosu is great

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

gently caress....

Really loved Yongbi / Gosu

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hope he'll be ok

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I'm reading through Season 3 of Kubera, and I liked the part where (episode 30-something) newly pseudo-immortal Brillith meets Leez and is like "heh doesn't matter if I die the universe is infinite..." and Leez is like "universe is being destroyed yo."

It's interesting how new revelations change your perception of characters, like Agni, in this case. Suddenly, rather than the "kind, goofy/well-meaning god," he's revealed to basically be a total coward who, like seemingly all Gods, has lost any real sense of perspective. I'm not sure how much I agree with Leez about Sura still being worse then Gods. I would say that Sura are more harmful, but that Gods have less of an excuse. Sura are basically raised in an environment that turns them into beings who don't value life in the same way as humans, while (as Brillith mentioned) Gods have just proven themselves completely incapable of understanding that they're basically just people with immortality and special powers.

I'm curious to find out what Brillith is referring to with this "other race" (that she is presumably connected to and explains both her being immune to Insight and being pseudo-immortal).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

Ytlaya posted:

So I'm reading through Season 3 of Kubera, and I liked the part where (episode 30-something) newly pseudo-immortal Brillith meets Leez and is like "heh doesn't matter if I die the universe is infinite..." and Leez is like "universe is being destroyed yo."

It's interesting how new revelations change your perception of characters, like Agni, in this case. Suddenly, rather than the "kind, goofy/well-meaning god," he's revealed to basically be a total coward who, like seemingly all Gods, has lost any real sense of perspective. I'm not sure how much I agree with Leez about Sura still being worse then Gods. I would say that Sura are more harmful, but that Gods have less of an excuse. Sura are basically raised in an environment that turns them into beings who don't value life in the same way as humans, while (as Brillith mentioned) Gods have just proven themselves completely incapable of understanding that they're basically just people with immortality and special powers.

I'm curious to find out what Brillith is referring to with this "other race" (that she is presumably connected to and explains both her being immune to Insight and being pseudo-immortal).

Basically all of this is directly addressed in currently translated issues, but I don't want to comment because you aren't caught up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i like kubera but i wish more poo poo was explained in the series. stuff like the difference between primeval gods and regular gods and such which you'll never know without reading the wiki. That and the real difference between cities and planets because thats pretty unclear as well. Are they all tiny planets with a city on them or what

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

i like kubera but i wish more poo poo was explained in the series. stuff like the difference between primeval gods and regular gods and such which you'll never know without reading the wiki. That and the real difference between cities and planets because thats pretty unclear as well. Are they all tiny planets with a city on them or what

One thing that has bugged me is the absence (from what I've read, anyways) of Gods below fifth-zen or whatever. I feel like it was implied there are gods for all sorts of concepts, and I'm not sure if we're talking about thousands or just <100, etc.

The scale of planets is also confusing to me. For a while I thought they were really small compared to real planets and sorta physically close-ish to one another, but they mentioned a planet having like 100 million people on it, so they must be pretty big. How many planets are there? My base perception is that there are only like 20 or fewer (stuff like God summoning becomes really weird if there are millions of planets with their own temples and only a handful of "main" gods), but I don't know!

Edit: It's really obvious that all the cities featured are on the same planet, Willarv, though, so not sure how you didn't pick up on that. They even explicitly talk about travel from Carte (Asha's home planet) to Willarv.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 8, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its been long enough since i read and thought about it i probably just forgot

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm caught up with Kubera now. I'm curious about what Ran's deal is; IIRC he's a direct descendent of Yaksha.

I really like how this series actually has things occur in ways that make sense, rather than ways that would just be pleasing to the reader. A couple examples that come to mind are :

- the situation with Yuta, where even after years it's actually just flat-out impossible for a relationship between him and Leez to work, and no amount of willpower will magically solve that problem
- the situation with Gandharva (and a number of other Sura, for that matter), where they don't magically develop the ability to empathize with humans and even Gandharva's comparatively "kind" behavior was completely contingent on him finding his daughter. They mentioned Nastikas being inflexible, and this has held true. I think Maruna will likely have an actual change of heart at some point, though; they explicitly mentioned that Rakshasa are more flexible and capable of change

I have one question about something I think I must have missed - Leez mentioned Maruna not having killed her village because they were already dead or something; was this ever explained? From what I understand, her mom had already died, and she summoned a god or something (I don't think this has been elaborated on yet), but I don't understand what's going on with the rest of the village.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

Ytlaya posted:

I'm caught up with Kubera now. I'm curious about what Ran's deal is; IIRC he's a direct descendent of Yaksha.

I really like how this series actually has things occur in ways that make sense, rather than ways that would just be pleasing to the reader. A couple examples that come to mind are :

- the situation with Yuta, where even after years it's actually just flat-out impossible for a relationship between him and Leez to work, and no amount of willpower will magically solve that problem
- the situation with Gandharva (and a number of other Sura, for that matter), where they don't magically develop the ability to empathize with humans and even Gandharva's comparatively "kind" behavior was completely contingent on him finding his daughter. They mentioned Nastikas being inflexible, and this has held true. I think Maruna will likely have an actual change of heart at some point, though; they explicitly mentioned that Rakshasa are more flexible and capable of change

I have one question about something I think I must have missed - Leez mentioned Maruna not having killed her village because they were already dead or something; was this ever explained? From what I understand, her mom had already died, and she summoned a god or something (I don't think this has been elaborated on yet), but I don't understand what's going on with the rest of the village.

The situation with Leez' village hasn't been explained, but she summoned God Kuberam who evidently created an illusion of the village for her.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

The situation with Leez' village hasn't been explained, but she summoned God Kuberam who evidently created an illusion of the village for her.

Wait, what's up with Kaz then?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, what's up with Kaz then?

There are a lot of questions about whatever the gently caress was going on there and all I got so far is that the entire universe of Kubera is more of a jerk to Kubera than God was to Job

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kubera's greatest ally is herself. Of course it is. :smith:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That Works posted:

Hardcore Leveling Warrior is pretty good and updates all the time. Lotta story development lately also. Definitely worth a look if you haven't checked it out yet.

I like this one though I'm a bit sad that our MC has become less of an obnoxious troll.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hypocrisy posted:

I like this one though I'm a bit sad that our MC has become less of an obnoxious troll.

I think it's pretty good character development although they have set up a few times that he's definitely going to have to screw over Sora and Dark if he wants to live .

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well I am super shocked but a new chapter of Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School has gone up. Hopefully the release of chapter 66 of all this time means we will start getting more releases soon.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Hot drat. I almost forgot about that series, glad to see someone's still doing the lord's work

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Noblesse is finished. Kind of wish they didn't add the weird epilogue chapter though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hot diggity drat, time to binge the rest of Noblesse then. I stopped reading after Muzaka's sacrifice because it was honestly getting a little tiresome, but I may as well see it through.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thanks for the heads up, I kept thinking it was about time for another binge but now I can just read to the end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That seemed kind of silly. It made no sense that the explosions from the missiles (which, they emphasized several times, were not nuclear explosions because they were right on top of the cities when they happened and everyone else was fine) would kill or even seriously injure them with the power they could all throw around.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 11, 2019

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Recently a friend recommend to me 2 webcomics, saying that they have awesome action and the group working on them is faster than the group that did Kengan Ashua, which already had an insane release schedule.

The first is A Returner's Magic Should Be Special and the second is Solo Leveling.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Everything Burrito posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I kept thinking it was about time for another binge but now I can just read to the end.

Kind of same!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Recently a friend recommend to me 2 webcomics, saying that they have awesome action and the group working on them is faster than the group that did Kengan Ashua, which already had an insane release schedule.

The first is A Returner's Magic Should Be Special and the second is Solo Leveling.
Solo Leveling kind of takes the well-trod ground of Here Comes A Special Boy With Game Mechanics but it's executed really well so far. I can't help but compare it to The Gamer, except The Gamer got bogged down in endless tedium that I couldn't care about at all, while Solo Leveling has, ironically, spent less time just focusing on the main character playing a KMMO. I think Solo Leveling's scanlations have slowed down since they caught up to the releases.

A Returner's Magic is also good; it seems to really be hitting its stride as he gathers more and more members of his past-future party, especially since he did the main thing very obviously foreshadowed in the past-future, getting into the alpha class at school. I'd second both recommendations.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

The thing i like about Solo Leveling is that he is, slowly, losing his god drat mind. It's not like Gamer where the mc is basically the same as how he started personality wise.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It is amusing that he gets the chance for a job change and he's like "Well I use a dagger so maybe assassin? And I put a lot of points into strength so maybe a tank of some sort?" and the system comes back "Yeah, no, you are totally walking alone over a pile of corpses, enjoy being a Necromancer.". And, of course, he does.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Just checked out solo leveling and that's pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

lil baby anime posted:

Just checked out solo leveling and that's pretty cool

Basically came here to say this.

But reading it, my 4th manwha to really put time into, and I'm wondering if anyone can knowledgeably talk about the cultural issues/viewpoints that inform manwha vs manga. Is it just a weird translation thing that so many characters in manwha always tonally read as abrasive and belligerent? Why are construction companies always the pinnacle of financial and political power? And probably more questions but those two really stick out.