Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rode a few miles to my new home in 18f weather because gently caress renting a trailer or getting it in/out of my truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

And I was going to complain I forgot my non-tinted visor and had to ride home when my visor up when it was in the 50s last night.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

installed some cycra/ktm probends on my 1290 SAR :D

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
out with the old, in with the new

so much easier on the 390 duke than the FZ-09, holy poo poo. the FZ buries the front of the shock way up in the frame and it's a massive pain in the rear end. Super easy on the Duke comparatively.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Fusepanel and tci relocated. Moved the fuse panel for better security and to reduce the total fasteners required to remove the glovebox. The glovebox is getting 3d printed retainers so that the total hardware to remove it can go from 12 to 2.

Next up is a modern oil separator/pcv system (thanks for the 80's parts, Honda!) and delete the crossover vent tube between the two tanks that is superfluous..

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is there a point to having two fuel tanks like that?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm guessing they're linked but two caps so you can fill on either side (as it's not center).

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

yeah, 28mpg off road. :v: Puts the weight down lower. the bottom of the tank is roughly at the crankshaft. (it holds ~5.8Gal total)

They're linked at the bottom, on the side stand you fill the right one first, then the left and don't fill either tank all the way. Filling only one would eventually transfer to the other tank, but it's a slow process being on 6mm hose. the cross over tube i'm mentioning was a dealer recall hack to make the emissions system work correctly as people would fill the bike incorrectly pushing fuel into the emissions system causing all sorts of poor running problems. All that poo poo has long been deleted on mine and tanks are vented to atmo. The grommets used in the conversion will dryrot and start leaking.

This is also a KTM deep in the era of take a race bike, throw blinkers and the minimum required on it to get it smoggable, and ship the fucker. The blunders in the pcv/emissions system are hilarious. I've no regrets :D

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Haha holy poo poo filling both is required?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

This is also a KTM deep in the era of take a race bike, throw blinkers and the minimum required on it to get it smoggable, and ship the fucker. The blunders in the pcv/emissions system are hilarious. I've no regrets :D

Took apart a Duke 690 the other day and nothing has changed. Emissions stuff is a terrible afterthought, they also forgot road bikes need oil pressure lights so they bunged a braided line into the pool filter cover, ran it to a dead end under the tank where you can't see and screwed a pressure switch into the end.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Took apart a Duke 690 the other day and nothing has changed. Emissions stuff is a terrible afterthought, they also forgot road bikes need oil pressure lights so they bunged a braided line into the pool filter cover, ran it to a dead end under the tank where you can't see and screwed a pressure switch into the end.

the 701 is like this too with the oil sender and it makes me lol to no loving end. it goes under the radiator fairing though as the tank is rearward. This fucker is pre-torx so there's that at least.

No. 6 posted:

Haha holy poo poo filling both is required?

yeah it takes no time at all. you can close the caps without needing the key. pop em both open, fill both, flip em shut.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

installed a puig headlight protector:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That just makes a super cool headlight even cooler looking. Nice work.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

That just makes a super cool headlight even cooler looking. Nice work.

thanks! the power parts one looked like rear end unfortunately and iirc may have prevented the use of those power parts prefilter, so it was an easy choice!

the rim of it even gets glowy at angles when I run it with the LED DRLs only. it rules

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Turns out my bike handles way way better with >5 psi in the front tire, oh yeah and I dropped it on myself yanking it forward in the driveway airing the tire up when the kickstand folded up.

Just another day in my life of barely functioning adulthood.

Also my Oxford grips are melting. The clutch side has an exposed heating element.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

put another 200mi on it riding in the woods west of scappoose :D

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Revvik posted:

Also my Oxford grips are melting. The clutch side has an exposed heating element.

Melting or worn through? I had my clutch hand grip get so worn that a wire was visible after 50k km/ 35k miles.

I've had more troubles with the drat glue oxford includes. It can't handle the heat from their own grips and gets loose after like 6 months of use.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Do you always need grip glue? My current (non heated) grips aren't glued on to my 7/8 handlebars, they're just very snug and don't seem to slip.

I've got some tech7 heated grips that seem like they'd be similarly tight, but I'm worried about doing it wrong, especially on the throttle tube. Also not sure if I'm supposed need extra insulation.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Oxfords design has the inside towards the bars in hard plastic so there friction based grip is not that good. Easily solved with some drops of actual super glue though.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah mine came loose very quickly on the clutch side and I had to re glue that one. They’re probably just worn but they’re also not functioning very well any more. Just the grips can be replaced, right?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yup, the grips and the controller box are separate units with quick disconnects, but I've only ever seen whole kits w/controller sold, not just the grips alone.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Supradog posted:

Yup, the grips and the controller box are separate units with quick disconnects, but I've only ever seen whole kits w/controller sold, not just the grips alone.

Sold separately for $20/ea.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-replacement-heaterz-touring-grip

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So that’s what a Firebolt looks like under all the plastics...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Follow-up to the last post:

I had a spare set of plastics that I decided to hit with bronze plasti-dip since they were a chalky black and had iron crosses on them. Not exactly my style.

Edit: assembled

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 9, 2019

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Totally baller. Nice work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:stare: that looks awesome

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's the best looking firebolt I've ever seen.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The JPS Firebolt...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Buells are so clean.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Slide Hammer posted:

The JPS Firebolt...

Jewish Publication Society?

Thanks for the encouragement!

This is what it looks like with the other plastics, for comparison

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 14, 2019

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Jewish Publication Society?

Thanks for the encouragement!

This is what it looks like with the other plastics, for comparison

John Player Special! A cigarette brand that had great black & gold liveries for F1 cars that they sponsored a while back. (I can't post an image.)

But it looks great in the red as well.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Slide Hammer posted:

John Player Special! A cigarette brand that had great black & gold liveries for F1 cars that they sponsored a while back. (I can't post an image.)

But it looks great in the red as well.

I remember those cars, Lotus 77’s.

The (safety cone) orange was not my wife’s cup of tea as I think it reminded her too much of my previous Lightning, on which I almost met my maker nine years ago.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slide Hammer posted:

John Player Special!
It's sad what modern culture has lost since cigarettes became uncool. All the coolest things from 1960-2002 were cigarettes. And I say this as someone who never smoked and hates the smell of smoke. But I still love cigarette brands, that's how cool they were. Long live Big Tobacco.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Big tobacco not pivoting hard to vapes and weed is baffling and probably spells the end of them, but yeah, their contribution to the racing world is undeniable. The barcode Ducati livery is one of my favorites.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
The energy drink companies need to up their livery game if they want to sit in racing history alongside tobacco.

Red Bull tries, at least.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Big tobacco not pivoting hard to vapes and weed is baffling and probably spells the end of them, but yeah, their contribution to the racing world is undeniable. The barcode Ducati livery is one of my favorites.

Almost all of the brand-name vape companies are owned by tobacco companies, and of course all of the nicotine in your juice comes from them.

Marlboro McLaren remains the second-coolest livery after JPS Lotus though.

God I want a cigarette and to watch people in sideburns crash horribly now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The energy drink companies need to up their livery game if they want to sit in racing history alongside tobacco.

Red Bull tries, at least.

Getting my Sagebrush hat on here but the problem is all the energy drinks companies have really busy logos rather than the simple two-colour liveries of the cigarette companies - part of this is fashion, part of it is them wanting to embody their brand or some poo poo, but mostly it's because even in the seventies fags were kept behind the counter so you needed branding that stood out from >6 feet away on a small package, that's why Marlboro was such a game-changer and why all of the successful brands quickly followed suit. Turns out this sort of design language also works really well on cars and bikes too.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Smokin' Joe CBR and Rothman's HRC liveries for life

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Marlboro Yamaha my bros

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Marlboro Yamaha my bros

Like Batman and the joker, you can't have one without the other: