Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't see any offers like that online through my customer portal. God, I'd really rather not call them. Each call is more painful than the last :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I had to do 13 calls the last time I negotiated my Rogers wireless contract. Each step of the way something like data or voicemail stopped working. Everyone on my family account shows up as my name on caller ID. I can't bring myself to call them to correct it because I fear what unintended consequences that might have.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Can't you change that name on their website? With Fido I remember that you could.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

originalnickname posted:

It's this. Tons of cable co's already have IPTV CDN's and (most) of them are already utilizing IP transport for at least VOD and some select channels where the market wouldn't bear out actually putting it on a QAM pid.

When you've got tons of customers, legacy STB replacement becomes no joke, so that particular can keeps getting kicked down the line to someone else to pull the trigger on.

DariusLikewise posted:

Oh yeah that was awful, but imagine how much more efficiently tech support would run if you only had to support one type of set top box and they cut all the low profit-margin basic cable customers.

I am still getting occasional DTA (digital adapter, the super tiny free boxes they gave for the analog to digital transition period) service calls as they kick the bucket despite every single rep knowing full well the retail locations don't have them and technicians sure as hell do not have them and haven't been able to get them for almost a year because people get REALLY mad about it. DTVs (E940s and older Sci-atlanta boxes) are probably going to be unavailable by 2021 at the latest and most of those are at the end of their lifespans now, it is usually the tuner that gives up or a power issue. We are constantly getting supplied with the Cisco 4k HD boxes and PVRs now which have a much lower failure rate.

Switching people to Ignite TV is super smooth aside from provisioning issues with the new system or a concierge not creating a migration order properly. There is currently a credit for purchased boxes being sent back as well that softens the initial install cost, and it's available for 150u service as well so I'm starting to get 2-3 installs a day. Fewer service issues when you only have to worry about one riser and have AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extenders and Eero mesh to deal with wifi issues. Each install is also QA'd the day of.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Been staying at my mom's place to help out for the holidays, and she's on whatever offerings Source cable has for rural areas in Ontario. The problem is her service has been out for a week and all Source can tell us is that they can't seem to ping her satellite and that their guy will be out there as soon as he can. There wasn't any storms or high wind or anything, it just went kaput one day.

It seems like such an odd setup to me. The satellite is seemingly connected directly to a PoE power supply, and then from there right into her router. Is there no need for a modem anymore or is her router acting like a modem? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm just bored out of my mind and wanted to know more.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
That’s not odd. Most wireless setups your “modem” is actually outside that connects back to the tower. There can be many reasons it’s offline, is the poe connected to power? Is the Ethernet cable going outside plugged into the unit and into the poe? Does the poe have lights?

Does it still look aimed in the direction of the tower? Get a pic of it if you can.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Nitr0 posted:

That’s not odd. Most wireless setups your “modem” is actually outside that connects back to the tower. There can be many reasons it’s offline, is the poe connected to power? Is the Ethernet cable going outside plugged into the unit and into the poe? Does the poe have lights?

Does it still look aimed in the direction of the tower? Get a pic of it if you can.

Yeah, everything is all powered on/lit up and as far as I can tell it's plugged into the satellite (it's up on the roof and she doesn't have a ladder tall enough to get at it). Thanks for the info, though. I've got no experience with satellite internet like this and was curious. Is it possible for the end user to access any kind of web interface like you can with a cable modem with something like this or is it all at the discretion of the ISP? Googling has come up empty for me but it's entirely possible I'm very stupid and am not googling correctly.

Either way the tech will be here tomorrow to take a look at it.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Any isp worth their salt will lock customers out of the equipment on the roof. Certain radios are more reliable than others so you’ll just have to wait till the tech comes and see what they say

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I think my fave new Bell thing is that there's no middle tier speed anymore. You got 25, 50, or 1,000 Mb options. No more 150 or 300.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

I think my fave new Bell thing is that there's no middle tier speed anymore. You got 25, 50, or 1,000 Mb options. No more 150 or 300.

There is a 100mbit option if you are hooked up to the right type of remote CO and pair bonding is available at your address.

I'm super suspicious Bell did this to try to get much higher access rates locked in for TPIA, because lower tiers on fibre would mean a much lower base access rate. Probably not, it would be too clever for them.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I always assume malice on the incumbent's part. 300/300 would be perfect for me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I see shaw is offering a 300 for $60 and 600 for $70 packages in my area for a boxing week promo. Going to get a hold of Telus retention and see what they can offer me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

TekSavvy finally fixed my speed problem a couple weeks ago. They sent me these long questionnaires that took me days to complete and then finally filed a ticket with shaw, who fixed the provisioning.

Since then I've been experiencing disconnects while playing hardcore diablo 3, which is not fun. So I checked their service advisories and all of winnipeg has had a peak time congestion advisory since Nov 8 with no ETA for repair:

As soon as the speed was fixed I asked to return the spare cablemodem they sent me for troubleshooting, that we never used. They sent me a canada post code to cover shipping and I dropped it off at the post office and sent them the tracking number.

They left me voicemail at 7am sometime last week saying if I didn't return the cablemodem they were going to charge me. If I didn't call them back that day they were going to charge me. The tracking number said they had signed for the returned equipment the previous Friday.

So anyway Shaw is running black friday promos right now and I hope they accept that I didn't make it to 90 days away from them before signing up for their service again.

Update: I dropped teksavvy like its hot

The self-install kit for Shaw showed up, I theoretically would have plugged it in and had service ten minutes later, but I seem to be cursed and someone at Shaw cancelled my order *after* the cablemodem had shipped.

It was pretty fuckin awesome to have an order in with Shaw when they announced the 150 plans were magically becoming 300 plans. I'm locked in for $60/mo for 2 years at 300 mbit. Had to have a shaw rep "rebuild" my account (he had to ask modem serial number and tracking number and basically everything to put my acct back together)

Cancelling with teksavvy was awkward. "Did you have problems with our service?" "uhh yeah, I had an ongoing tech problem. and someone harassed me to send equipment back. and you had a service advisory for all of winnipeg for over a month" They ended up comping me the remaining bill on the cablemodem at least.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mewse posted:

Update: I dropped teksavvy like its hot

The self-install kit for Shaw showed up, I theoretically would have plugged it in and had service ten minutes later, but I seem to be cursed and someone at Shaw cancelled my order *after* the cablemodem had shipped.

It was pretty fuckin awesome to have an order in with Shaw when they announced the 150 plans were magically becoming 300 plans. I'm locked in for $60/mo for 2 years at 300 mbit. Had to have a shaw rep "rebuild" my account (he had to ask modem serial number and tracking number and basically everything to put my acct back together)

Cancelling with teksavvy was awkward. "Did you have problems with our service?" "uhh yeah, I had an ongoing tech problem. and someone harassed me to send equipment back. and you had a service advisory for all of winnipeg for over a month" They ended up comping me the remaining bill on the cablemodem at least.

Looks like that service advisory is still active lol. I like when you zoom out on their outages map Vancouver is just a giant red blob.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

There is a 100mbit option if you are hooked up to the right type of remote CO and pair bonding is available at your address.

I'm super suspicious Bell did this to try to get much higher access rates locked in for TPIA, because lower tiers on fibre would mean a much lower base access rate. Probably not, it would be too clever for them.

That's absolutely it. They're stuck in a stupid place where the lower tiers are them maxing out their VDSL infrastructure and the high tier is either direct fibre or, I assume, maybe G.fast. Cable is getting way more attention for speed improvements because you can maintain those speeds over a larger distances and a lot of the larger American ISPs are investing in cable. Bell is stuck on doing either a massive infrastructure investment or trying to be the best at wireless internet both of which cost a lot of money versus Rogers which can coast on their cable infrastructure for a while yet.

That said, this isn't the usual market competition. Rogers isn't going to twist the knife here because to do so would force the CRTC to actually do something about competition.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

8ender posted:

That's absolutely it. They're stuck in a stupid place where the lower tiers are them maxing out their VDSL infrastructure and the high tier is either direct fibre or, I assume, maybe G.fast. Cable is getting way more attention for speed improvements because you can maintain those speeds over a larger distances and a lot of the larger American ISPs are investing in cable. Bell is stuck on doing either a massive infrastructure investment or trying to be the best at wireless internet both of which cost a lot of money versus Rogers which can coast on their cable infrastructure for a while yet.

That said, this isn't the usual market competition. Rogers isn't going to twist the knife here because to do so would force the CRTC to actually do something about competition.

Everything Bell offers above 100mbit is FTTP using GPON (they are upgrading equipment to X-GPON, but haven't turned it on yet). Cable has the advantage of lower rollout costs as DOCSIS uses an existing plant (cable in the ground), but it's critically limited when it comes to contention for spectrum (either user count or user speed) and needs ever smaller loops as the speed goes up, meaning upgrades for the operator.

Bell has been deploying fibre pretty aggressively, but Rogers is quietly doing the same thing as they come up against the limits of their existing infrastructure. Stupidly, Rogers is remaining committed to DOCSIS, so the tech they have chosen is RFoG (Radio Frequency over Glass), which has all the costs of FTTP and all the problems of legacy equipment sticking around.

Bell's fibre upgrade is only happening because it brings a set of advantages all at once: It locks out TPIA competitors from their infrastructure (or at least prohibitavely raises access rates), it frees them from a whole host of telecom requirements (phones provided over fibre don't need to meet the same availability requirements in cases of emergency), and it should be much, much easier and cheaper to maintain once the upgrade is done, because the fibre is immune to a lot of problems that copper has (water, cold, heat, EM, etc).

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Everything Bell offers above 100mbit is FTTP using GPON (they are upgrading equipment to X-GPON, but haven't turned it on yet). Cable has the advantage of lower rollout costs as DOCSIS uses an existing plant (cable in the ground), but it's critically limited when it comes to contention for spectrum (either user count or user speed) and needs ever smaller loops as the speed goes up, meaning upgrades for the operator.

Bell has been deploying fibre pretty aggressively, but Rogers is quietly doing the same thing as they come up against the limits of their existing infrastructure. Stupidly, Rogers is remaining committed to DOCSIS, so the tech they have chosen is RFoG (Radio Frequency over Glass), which has all the costs of FTTP and all the problems of legacy equipment sticking around.

Bell's fibre upgrade is only happening because it brings a set of advantages all at once: It locks out TPIA competitors from their infrastructure (or at least prohibitavely raises access rates), it frees them from a whole host of telecom requirements (phones provided over fibre don't need to meet the same availability requirements in cases of emergency), and it should be much, much easier and cheaper to maintain once the upgrade is done, because the fibre is immune to a lot of problems that copper has (water, cold, heat, EM, etc).

This is good info. Rogers is in way better shape here even if they're also investing in fibre. There are absolutely limits on DOCSIS with congestion but being able to support 100mbit+ speeds at all with their existing infrastructure is a massive advantage over Bell's VDSL capabilities.

I don't think Bell's fibre investments are just for those reasons, but I agree it's probably part of the story. DSL is a real dead end for Bell and being stuck at 50/10 speeds isn't going to retain customers.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Is there any kind of public plan or schedule for Bells' rollout?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EngineerJoe posted:

Is there any kind of public plan or schedule for Bells' rollout?

Nope. There are some observations from how it is occurring, but Bell has only ever given generic statement in public.

The observations are, btw:
1. If an area has above ground (pole) based telephone service, it'll get fibre sooner.
2. The richer an area is, the more likely it'll be upgraded.
3. The older the current plant, the more likely it'll be upgraded.
4. Houses generally get upgraded before apartment buildings.
5. If Rogers upgrades an area, Bell is likely to as well.
6. The more built up an area is, the less likely it'll be upgraded, but that is starting to change as Bell closes holes in its coverage.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

EoRaptor posted:

Nope. There are some observations from how it is occurring, but Bell has only ever given generic statement in public.

The observations are, btw:
1. If an area has above ground (pole) based telephone service, it'll get fibre sooner.
2. The richer an area is, the more likely it'll be upgraded.
3. The older the current plant, the more likely it'll be upgraded.
4. Houses generally get upgraded before apartment buildings.
5. If Rogers upgrades an area, Bell is likely to as well.
6. The more built up an area is, the less likely it'll be upgraded, but that is starting to change as Bell closes holes in its coverage.

Thanks for this, I have a feeling it's going to be awhile for me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Telus retention got back to me and I am satisfied with their offer. Basically $30 off my 300/300 service, $25 off my landline (Mrs. Slidebite insists we keep it) so $55 off my Telus bill per month for the next year. No contract or strings. Since I am very happy with my 300/300 speed and reliability, I see no problem staying with it. Will look at renegotiating a year from now.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I signed up for Telus 750/750 with unlimited data on a two year term and up-front $150 bill credit... 65+tax/mo for first year, 110/mo for second, yields average total bill of $92/mo taxes included, although I could drop speed or renegotiate after 12 months to knock that second year down a bunch.

That's what I'm already paying with 20x better upstream, works for me. Had to do in-person at a mall kiosk though (boo).

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Anyone have insight into muskoka area internet ?

Specifically what is the fastest available connection?

Are any of the big guys ever planning to lay down fibre to the outlying areas I wonder ?

The fastest I can find is 50down/10up or similar, unlimited for approx $800 month, using a microwave connection

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

It's all about where you are. Best value is cable if you can, dsl (the 50/10 one) is probably like 10/1 in reality if you are lucky or close to a town. Microwave is probably directional wifi based, not true microwave.

Basically put, if you are not in/near a large town, you're hosed for quality services.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

I signed up for Telus 750/750 with unlimited data on a two year term and up-front $150 bill credit... 65+tax/mo for first year, 110/mo for second, yields average total bill of $92/mo taxes included, although I could drop speed or renegotiate after 12 months to knock that second year down a bunch.

Looking online in my account, the second year says 140 not 110, but "regular" for 300/300 is 110 and sales guy was recommending dropping to that, pretty sure that makes it my mistake in the description above.

But interestingly, the discount appears to be coded on my account as $75/mo off regardless of internet plan, so if I change my plan online right now I can get 300mbps for $35, 150mbps for $20, or 75mbps for $5. Best offer at kiosk for 300 was $55 for first year.

Might drop to 300 sooner than later because I'll never notice in practice when all devices but my PC (and printer) are using WiFi.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm on 300/300 (which is actually 330/330 at my place), and to be honest anything faster than that is totally lost on me and not worth the premium for my needs.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Just drop to 75. $5 a month for Internet yes please

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Nitr0 posted:

Just drop to 75. $5 a month for Internet yes please

Yeah 75 is a ton unless your constantly ripping 4k streams.

Just take the extra $70 a month and throw it into some other rad treat

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's really a reasonable option. I totally love my 300 and it shines when downloading massive patches or games from Steam or PSN, but 75 isn't crazy.

I think they have a stupid low cap on <100 speeds though, so make sure you check that.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

slidebite posted:

That's really a reasonable option. I totally love my 300 and it shines when downloading massive patches or games from Steam or PSN, but 75 isn't crazy.

I think they have a stupid low cap on <100 speeds though, so make sure you check that.

I have not noticed any difference between my Shaw 300 and the 150 I had before. Now if they would double the upload that would be nice.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Is there one of those sticks/mini-boxes with a remote that works with Netflix, Crave and Amazon Prime TV? I feel like every time I research this I come up with 2 out of 3.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

kuddles posted:

Is there one of those sticks/mini-boxes with a remote that works with Netflix, Crave and Amazon Prime TV? I feel like every time I research this I come up with 2 out of 3.

There's no Android TV app for Crave, but you can get all three on a Fire Stick though I think

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

There's no Android TV app for Crave, but you can get all three on a Fire Stick though I think
I just checked and you're right. Guess I should have paid more attention to recent changes. Thanks!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

DariusLikewise posted:

While there's no android TV app, casting from your mobile device does work well. But having to cast is a pain in the rear end and I can't understand why they haven't made a TV app in all the years they've been asked for one.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I ended up picking up the new 4K Fire Stick and it's working perfectly for what I need it for. Another option would have been the Apple TV I guess, but as someone who uses a Windows computer and an Android phone I guessed that there might be some annoyances down the line.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

lol so the 150/150 and now 500/500 speeds are magically back!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Bell has quietly increased my internet bill by $5. It's not much but it is unsettling. Still is a good promotion price of $80 for gigabit but man ...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
They do that every year.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Chris Knight posted:

They do that every year.

Please, only years that start with 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Volguus posted:

Bell has quietly increased my internet bill by $5. It's not much but it is unsettling. Still is a good promotion price of $80 for gigabit but man ...

I get gigabit Internet for $55 so you're definitely being screwed there. It was an offer straight on their website too, not even a special deal. Doubt it's available anymore though.