Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

One of my coworkers thought that password salting was doing things like p4$$w0rD 5@L+inG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Raere posted:

Say you're designing an authentication backend (I'm not) and are storing passwords as salted hashes. Where do you store the salts, if properly designed?

if not using a library that automatically embeds the salt with the hash, you put it alongside the hash value -- salts to do not need to be secret.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

One of my coworkers thought that password salting was doing things like p4$$w0rD 5@L+inG

If I ever caught a coworker not using a salt and hash with bcrypt I would be so loving upset. Every modern language has a canned library to do that in usually one or two lines.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

mmm, that's s4lty

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

I don't think you trust
in my
self signed web certify

At least make it a haiku.

I don't think you trust
My self-signed certificate
The key looks nice though

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't think you trust

begone non metal likers

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

https://youtu.be/2NawGCUOYT4

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

If I ever caught a coworker not using a salt and hash with bcrypt I would be so loving upset. Every modern language has a canned library to do that in usually one or two lines.

like, how would you even do that lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ratbert90 posted:

He wasn't rolling his own or anything, just misinformed on technical details

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't think you trust

ban

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

He wasn't rolling his own or anything, just misinformed on technical details

That means he can't be arsed to Google for 10 seconds. Guillotine

Cocoa Crispies posted:

like, how would you even do that lmao

How would you even do what? Salt, hash and crypt a password in 2 lines?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't think you trust

Haikus have to be about the seasons. :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ratbert90 posted:

Haikus have to be about the seasons. :colbert:

three winters from now
fallen leaves under snow and
your cert expires

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

haveblue posted:

three winters from now
your cert expires

Beautiful!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

haveblue posted:

three winters from now
your cert expires

:ck5:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

How would you even do what? Salt, hash and crypt a password in 2 lines?

I can’t be arsed to google for 10 seconds, but none of the bcrypt libraries I’ve used have documented functions to do anything beyond “turn password into digest” or “tell if password matches digest”

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I can’t be arsed to google for 10 seconds, but none of the bcrypt libraries I’ve used have documented functions to do anything beyond “turn password into digest” or “tell if password matches digest”

i did google for 10 seconds and i believe this is because bcrypt embeds the salt in the digest/hash, and if you want them separately then you have to do some extra motions

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this is a known thing. many antivirus and "security" tools basically take the approach of "well this code might be bad, so we're gonna load up our own custom VM-esque environment in order to step through it and figure out if it's actually bad". but then oh boy hmm suddenly the same attacks that work against the real system work against the fake sandbox one too????? uh oh

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

language bcrypt library storepass

language bcrypt library checkpass

Suddenly I'm a developer

I can write down about a third quarter of this accurately and am realizing I need to lean in a good deal harder into my non-operational responsibilities if I want to grow my career in a positive direction

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Penisface posted:

i did google for 10 seconds and i believe this is because bcrypt embeds the salt in the digest/hash, and if you want them separately then you have to do some extra motions

if you want them separately for literally any reason you are doing it wrong and should be ashamed

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this is true. i have to connect to a lot of sites that follow a chain to root certs that aren't provided by default by any browser or OS. for whatever reason they like their own.

also:

it's a wheel of fun

Potato Salad posted:

I can write down about a third quarter of this accurately and am realizing I need to lean in a good deal harder into my non-operational responsibilities if I want to grow my career in a positive direction
if by non-operational responsibilities you mean BS skills, than sure. if you mean anything on that chart? not so much

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shame Boy posted:

if you want them separately for literally any reason you are doing it wrong and should be ashamed

well, it's a valid question, i wondered the same thing years ago. i also thought that the salt should be kept secret and was :thunk:ing my rear end off. "but if the password hashes leak, how do i keep the salts from leaking :tinfoil:"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, if you have somewhere very secure to hide the salt, perhaps as well to hide the hash there too

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Potato Salad posted:

language bcrypt library storepass

language bcrypt library checkpass

This is literally all devs should have access to or they will gently caress it up incredibly.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ErIog posted:

This is literally all devs should have access to or they will gently caress it up incredibly.

shouldn't there be the bit where you configure the passes and define the salt as well?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Penisface posted:

shouldn't there be the bit where you configure the passes and define the salt as well?

There should never be a bit where you define the salt - if you're storing a new password, it generates it randomly; if you're checking an existing password, the salt is stored in the hash string that you're checking against.

Configuring parameters like number of passes is part of storing a new password as well (the parameters chosen get stored in the hash string too), but really the library should just have sane defaults.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, if you have somewhere very secure to hide the salt, perhaps as well to hide the hash there too

sure, but the security of bcrypt and similar hashes comes from them being intentionally resource intensive, and afaik the only thing that the salt adds is that when the attacker manages to crack one password, they can't immediately see what other users have the same password and instead have to brute force the hashes individually.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also, so they cannot look up your passwords in a rainbow table because adding salt would be prohibitively expensive on a thing that's already fairly expensive.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ErIog posted:

Post/av combo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Truga posted:

also, so they cannot look up your passwords in a rainbow table because adding salt would be prohibitively expensive on a thing that's already fairly expensive.
It's this. The point of the salt is avoiding the 1-1 mapping from secret to hash.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-ab&q=29f33cab54c2a8858885b95d8fbb7ff1 :v:

obviously md5 shouldn't be used any longer, but that's the idea.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

*fat person steps in view of the ring doorbell*

VEHICLE DETECTED

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I’m still wondering if amazon plans to buy nextdoor and packaged it with their ring doorbell poo poo cause if you looked at the posts on nextdoor you’d think they’ve already partnered with them

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This might be a fun list to keep tabs on:

http://www.firemountain.net/mailman/listinfo/dumpsterfire

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.derbycon.com/blog/derbycon-9-0-every-beginning-has-an-end/

quote:

2019 will be our last year of DerbyCon. Please know that this decision was not done in haste, and it was one of the most difficult decisions we have ever had to make in our lives. We looked at hiring third-party crisis management companies to deal with people directly, we looked at having entire companies run the conference where we would become more of the direction and vision, but at the end of the day, that is not why we started DerbyCon. It’s taken a personal toll on our lives, our businesses, and our friends, and it has gotten to the point where we don’t want to manage it anymore.

https://twitter.com/deborahlindseyl/status/1048401891913334785

also lol

https://twitter.com/BLMGTN_FOOLS/status/1049176573860036608

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

quote:

This year, we had to handle issues that honestly, as an adult, we would never expect to have to handle from other adults. Conferences in general have shifted focus to not upsetting individuals and having to police people’s beliefs, politics, and feelings. Instead of coming to a conference to learn and share, it’s about how loud of a message a person can make about a specific topic, regardless of who they tear down or attempt to destroy. To put it in perspective, we had to deal with an individual that was verbally and mentally abusive to a number of our volunteer staff and security to the point where they were in tears.

[...]

Admittedly, we had no idea how to handle this person, and in fear of repercussion of removing this person, allowed them to stay at the conference in order to “not upset the masses”. The best we could do was just apologize, for other apologies, and apologize more for another’s actions. This is just one example of many we have had to deal with over the past few years, and each year it becomes increasingly harder for us to handle. We do everything as a conference to ensure the safety, security, and go above and beyond that of others. Maybe that puts us on a different level where something that would normally not be an issue explodes into a catastrophic situation on social media.

what's the story here? i ignore con drama

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I wish I could have been there to unleash all of my unprofessional and undiplomatic fury on whoever wrote that while they were writing it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Lain Iwakura posted:

what's the story here? i ignore con drama

a manchild did a meetoo + breasts joke on a board

this kills the con

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So colour me ignorant, but why wasn't that person just kicked out and everyone else could have just moved on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Boiled Water posted:

a manchild did a meetoo + breasts joke on a board

this kills the con

It was more than that as Lain Iwakura already quoted above.