Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I bought these Porsche 911 books back in 2002 or so when I was going to buy a 993 but didn't because I am a lazy moron. I never did get around to getting a 911. :smith:

I thought I'd try to find them a new, neckbearded, goon home.

$10 plus whatever shipping is to your location if you are interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheFonz posted:

Hi Porsche nerds. I have recently become aware and fell in love with the new 911 Targas.

So did I until I found out how much they go for. That fuckin aluminum B pillar :swoon:

I'll get one some day.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Keyser_Soze posted:

I bought these Porsche 911 books back in 2002 or so when I was going to buy a 993 but didn't because I am a lazy moron. I never did get around to getting a 911. :smith:

I thought I'd try to find them a new, neckbearded, goon home.

$10 plus whatever shipping is to your location if you are interested.

I'll take em - PM me.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It looks like 996s have increased in price to make a 997 similarly price, well pre 2009 ones anyway. Assuming you ignore all cabs and tiptronics. Anyone got a 997.1? I sold my oil burning ecoboost mustang and now that winter has blessed me with lower dumb car prices I am shopping.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Elephanthead posted:

It looks like 996s have increased in price to make a 997 similarly price, well pre 2009 ones anyway.

I'm tripping up on what you mean by this: "to make a 997 similarly price"

I'm still seeing a 10k gap between cheap 996 and 997s.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
Saw a Singer at the weekend and it was every bit as awesome as I had imagined. Turns out the dude also drives it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te9WAGX8Xew

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

I'm tripping up on what you mean by this: "to make a 997 similarly price"

I'm still seeing a 10k gap between cheap 996 and 997s.

Hmm I am not finding any cheap 996 but I live in porsche desert, the midwest.

My choices are between 20k 996 and 25k 997 which are obviously 5 to 7 years newer. For car I would consider purchasing. Now if I can find a 12k 996 with a new water pump and AOS I would jump on it and do dirty things to it.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 9, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wow, the sub 30k 997s I see are pretty ratty. So around here it's 20k vs 30k.

I bought a 15k 996 and it was a basketcase. Kinda ruined 996s for me, I think.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Did the 911 really just jump like 23,000 dollars in base MSRP?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think that’s the price for the S, not the base. I’m not too hot on the interior. It looks like all the buttons along the center console are gone.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The S is coming out before the base.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So... I just bought an 04 Cayenne S for $1.5k CAD.

Wish me luck.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Bajaha posted:

Wish me luck.

Transsiberia tribute? Either way, hell yeah and good luck!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Wish me luck.

It's dumb how cheap you can get them. Some guy locally is already trying to get rid of them in pairs like they're 944s and it's 2009.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Wish me luck.

Good lord yes.

I need another SUV like I need a hole in the head but part of me really wants to get a Cayenne and bring it to the various local Jeep runs.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bajaha posted:

Wish me luck.

I can only assume it has been ridden hard and the engine or transmission are just about ready to grenade

Although I'm thinking of getting a winter SUV next season, either an old Land Rover (Defender would be awesome but they're like 50k for a rusted out hulk)

Or a Cayenne, but they are everywhere, and cheap, which means they have the poo poo beat out of them and people are just trying to get them off their lots of more $ than if they scrapped it

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bajaha posted:

Wish me luck.

Make a thread!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It'll need a good amount of love but I'm hopeful it's not too much of a basket case.

Likely it's in need of a fuel pump. It's got the classic symptoms of running for a couple seconds then revs dropping and dying. It needs a battery and running with jumper cables on let's it start and play with the electricals, but I suspect low voltage is contributing to various faults the body module is reporting. It's been in a fender bender and has a cracked bumper, fender pushed in, and needs a head light. The rest of the body is in nice shape, interior is dirty but not ripped, and its some higher trim as it has the full leather dash I think.

Worst case it's got more than I paid in parts and scrap value.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bajaha posted:

It'll need a good amount of love but I'm hopeful it's not too much of a basket case.

Likely it's in need of a fuel pump. It's got the classic symptoms of running for a couple seconds then revs dropping and dying. It needs a battery and running with jumper cables on let's it start and play with the electricals, but I suspect low voltage is contributing to various faults the body module is reporting. It's been in a fender bender and has a cracked bumper, fender pushed in, and needs a head light. The rest of the body is in nice shape, interior is dirty but not ripped, and its some higher trim as it has the full leather dash I think.

Worst case it's got more than I paid in parts and scrap value.

I think you know what to do

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Blue On Blue posted:

I think you know what to do

It'd make a hell of a locost.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It'd make a hell of a locost.

You still have your Boxster don't you? Engine donor?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Haha that could be a great thread. Need pics! Is the S the V8 that shits cam bolts or something?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'll throw up pics in my thread tomorrow, it's the 4.5 V8 and from my 10 mins of online searching for common issues, apparently it's a decent motor other than there's a plastic coolant pipe that's a bitch to get to that's prone to leaking/crackin. There's a metal replacement for it apparently that fixes this issue.

The bolts thing is an issue with an AMG Merc of some flavor iirc.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bajaha posted:

I'll throw up pics in my thread tomorrow, it's the 4.5 V8 and from my 10 mins of online searching for common issues, apparently it's a decent motor other than there's a plastic coolant pipe that's a bitch to get to that's prone to leaking/crackin. There's a metal replacement for it apparently that fixes this issue.

The bolts thing is an issue with an AMG Merc of some flavor iirc.

That motor has a fatal flaw of bore scoring, too. I can't get a good gauge on how common the failure is, though.

How do I know that? I was just researching a 2004 Cayenne S. Guy wanted to part it out because the transmission is in limp mode. That transmission has about 12 failure modes... 4 require trans replacement, 4 require valve body replacement, 3 are easy bolt-on stuff and 1 is basically a reset.

However, he wanted $3k for it, which is crazy high for an inop 15 year old 180k mile Cayenne. :(

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of want a Cayenne Turbo, but they’re still too pricey to accept keeping a constant $5k catastrophic repair budget handy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Transsiberia tribute? Either way, hell yeah and good luck!

Okay, done.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

meatpimp posted:

That motor has a fatal flaw of bore scoring, too. I can't get a good gauge on how common the failure is, though.

Ah yes, I forgot I saw that, from what I gather symptoms are either nothing or some combination of light ticking and oil consumption. From the few seconds the motor runs it's quiet and smooth, and the tail pipes are dry with no oil residue so if it was burning oil it's not a lot of it. It's relative low mileage for the age at 105k miles. So you know, fingers crossed.

I also paid a little under $1,200 usd for it so expectations are low. Run hard and put away wet is the assumption until proven otherwise.

There's a few part out cayenne's in Kijiji when doing a Canada wide search so I'm thinking parts shouldn't be too difficult to come by but first thing I need to focus on is getting it running for more than a few seconds and getting the computers happy with a proper battery.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bajaha posted:

I also paid a little under $1,200 usd for it so expectations are low. Run hard and put away wet is the assumption until proven otherwise.

Agreed. At that price, it's disposable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Concur with ^^ Really can't go wrong with it, but knowing Bajaha, dude's going to do his best to make it drive-able.

Broke out the 996 yesterday. It was a stunning day in Southern Alberta, hardly any wind at all and 16C. Minuscule gravel on the road and tons of people were out in their summer toys. Took mine to the car wash near my office to give it a quick rinse of the 5" of accumulated dust (never covered it in the garage).

Had it up on the quickjack before I had it out and took a quick look underneath, noticed the lower hose going to the water pump is getting a little old, so I think I might do the WP and hoses. Recommendations for brand of water pump to buy or stay away from?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Concur with ^^ Really can't go wrong with it, but knowing Bajaha, dude's going to do his best to make it drive-able.

You know it. And great news! my $1.5K Cayenne LIVES. Full story in my thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV5IhUVsA88

slidebite posted:

I might do the WP and hoses. Recommendations for brand of water pump to buy or stay away from?

I've replaced two pumps, once with an OE Porsche branded one, and the other... I can't remember and I can't dig up a photo that shows the brand. From what I've heard online was that URO means you'll be in trouble and that gates pumps have gone down in quality.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bajaha posted:

You know it. And great news! my $1.5K Cayenne LIVES. Full story in my thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV5IhUVsA88

I've replaced two pumps, once with an OE Porsche branded one, and the other... I can't remember and I can't dig up a photo that shows the brand. From what I've heard online was that URO means you'll be in trouble and that gates pumps have gone down in quality.

Do you have a link to your thread?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Do you have a link to your thread?

It's in the catch-all flat 4/6/ v8 thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3830037&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#pti16

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

IOwnCalculus posted:

Good lord yes.

I need another SUV like I need a hole in the head but part of me really wants to get a Cayenne and bring it to the various local Jeep runs.

I wanna get out of my Panamera but I don't want to get out of a Porsche. Thinking of getting a beat Cayenne to hold me over until I figure out what my real next purchase is.

Anyone know what to look out for in older/first gen Cayennes?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I wanna get out of my Panamera but I don't want to get out of a Porsche. Thinking of getting a beat Cayenne to hold me over until I figure out what my real next purchase is.

Anyone know what to look out for in older/first gen Cayennes?

Get a turbo, because they have most/all of the options already. Make sure it's not using a lot of oil (some have bore scratching issues, most do not) and make sure that you replace the coolant passages under the manifold and the coolant Ts if they haven't been already. The other big thing on them is a bad intermediate bearing/mount on the front drive shaft. If it sounds like someone is banging on the floor from underneath the truck that's the problem. The porsche part number is the entire shaft, but there are other options out there.

They're hilarious fun to drive (for an SUV) and make a great cheap work truck beater. The air suspension is really awesome for towing, and it's got plenty of power.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Motronic posted:

They're hilarious fun to drive (for an SUV) and make a great cheap work truck beater. The air suspension is really awesome for towing, and it's got plenty of power.

These are the things we're going to laugh about when Cayennes are going across the auction block at $500,000 in 2050.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is a great shot, not least because it leaves out of frame the 996-era headlights.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The fuel pumps are also a when-not-if kind of thing so factor that in if they haven't been done the first gen. The cylinder scoring issue is more common on the non-turbo's and is allegedly made more likely if the car has been driven hard right from cold start.

The headlights I don't actually mind, they have the general shape of the 996 era, but they're growing on me. The later refresh is a bit better as well

955: 03-06

957: 07-10

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Center console delete and a long weekend trip in the rain.  Winter is rough.

​​​​​​​

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is this real?:

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

What's hilarious is that while nobody wants watercooled 911s right now, they are soon going to be dying by the tons. The 996, 997 and I think even 991 have an engine issue where the penny pinchers at Porsche decided to gently caress with an engineering decision. The connecting rod is offset some small amount (1/2 to 1mm IIRC) from the centerline of the piston. This theoretically will cause less wear in the bores, the downside is that you need two different pistons for each side of the engine, this would cost money. So instead they just went with one piston. One would naturally think that if offsetting the rod in the piston in one direction reduces wear, that moving it in the other direction would actually cause wear, which it does. Thus, especially in cold environments, but given enough time in any environment, the piston will scuff the bores into oblivion. The only to way correct this problem is an entire engine rebuild, for about $15-20k, more than the cars are worth at this point.

Never heard of it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kimbo305 posted:

Is this real?:

Never heard of it before.

I’ve also never heard of it. There’s an entire cottage industry around various types of patented IMS fixes. It seems like something like this would also come up in those circles.