Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

And would have had to be in his 60s to concieve Homer now for him to still be a WWII vet.

Haven’t they returned Marge and Homer as being in high school in the 70s again since they got massive pushback to making them like gen xers/millennials in some episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SeANMcBAY posted:

Haven’t they returned Marge and Homer as being in high school in the 70s again since they got massive pushback to making them like gen xers/millennials in some episodes?

The fact that I’m so old Homer and Marge are practically in the same demo as me is absolutely soul crushing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

To know that would mean I'd have to watch Modern Simpsons.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SeANMcBAY posted:

There was the episode that retcons it so they got together in the 90s but AFAIK they've never done another like that

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

THE BAR posted:

Didn't Grampa seduce Hitler in some episode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15whS2EUz28

Except for the Flying Hellfish episode, the joke always seemed to be that Grampa had all of these ridiculous stories from around that period that were never true.

e: or just terrible stories in general!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu9ShccG_SU

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 12, 2019

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

The SImpsons should have made a choice to remain set in he 90s, and ignore time progression and pop culture altogether. Ironically being a throwback to the past would be a major asset these days, as people are looking for nostalgia.

If you stop watching at season 9 then it's almost like they did exactly that

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Cessna posted:

For another obvious example.

Of course, they did anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EigFIj9W97k

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
There are so many bad simpsons episodes where they make some big change then end with a meta-"joke" about how nothing really changed

Though I do like I D'oh-bot, I have a ton of nostalgia for that specific episode.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

This almost works, but they don't have enough confidence in their jokes or gags to let them stand on their own. Everything has to be overdone or thoroughly explained. Skinner making a comment could have been funny if Lisa didn't explain to the audience what the punchline was. Lisa ignoring the burning car in the background could have been funny if they hadn't turned it into a Gil bit and had the car explode... twice.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TheMostFrench posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15whS2EUz28

Except for the Flying Hellfish episode, the joke always seemed to be that Grampa had all of these ridiculous stories from around that period that were never true.

e: or just terrible stories in general!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu9ShccG_SU

Going to start calling next year dickety dickety.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, I just found the "secret" commentary track for Lisa the Simpson, and it's actually pretty interesting and relevant to this thread.

Its Oakley and Weinstien doing a farewell of sorts about their time on the show, and they kinda talk about the future and decline of the show. And while they don't call anyone out specifically, they do say that having a single person running the show would be the death of the show. In their words "It should be like the presidency, two terms and you're out". They also talk about how network interference, and over commercialization will kill the show too. Another thing is the management, and how teamwork contributed to a great episode, and how things came out better when everyone felt like they had a contribution.

One particular thing they talk about what it was like to get hired on the show, and how it was considered like, the pinnacle of comedy to write for, and how much effort went into it. And I think that's also a big part of the overall decline of the show. After a point, it really wasn't anything special anymore. It wasn't edgy, it wasn't particularly relevant anymore, and it seems like the quality of writers has suffered for it. I mean, they talk about people who worked singlehandly to get things done, working insane hours, like 12 hour days, and other insane things that I very much doubt you'd see these days.

It's a pretty interesting insight into the show, and what happened behind the scenes, and why the show declined.
And its also more commentary from Oakley and Weinstien, who are the superior writing duo. Mission Hill > The Critic :v:

But they're both great shows

If you have the episode on DVD, it's the third audio track on there. I highly recommend giving it a listen, it's very informative.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Grandpa Simpson was always my favorite character because of his zany old person idiosyncrasies.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

porfiria posted:

The fact that I’m so old Homer and Marge are practically in the same demo as me is absolutely soul crushing.

as of this year, homer and marge are canonically millennials

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

"Trump bad"
:thejoke:

Sagebrush posted:

as of this year, homer and marge are canonically millennials

Is Skinner still a Vietnam vet?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Nonviolent J posted:

What episode is it where homer points at a picture of Bart and says that's him, that's the guy and he's scared?

can anyone help it's driving me nuts

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Nonviolent J posted:

can anyone help it's driving me nuts

Perhaps you're thinking of Tennis the Menace, where Homer and Marge get a tennis court built in their backyard. Homer has a dream about being murdered and cuckolded by Bart and when he wakes up he says that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcCWjkY3-fU&t=28s

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What the gently caress.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

Go back to season one, and tell me you're not stunned at what kind of a show The Simpsons used to be. This may piss off a lot of people, but I thought it was an ugly, unfunny mess. The animation was absolutely wretched in pretty much every way you can imagine. Even as a 5 year old who would eat up pretty much anything that resembled a cartoon, I remember thinking it looked like poo poo. And then there was the writing. There were "jokes" in there sure, but it can't even really be considered a comedy show. It was more like an animated version of something like Seventh Heaven, being overly mawkish and sentimental. I legitimately don't know who this was supposed to be targeted to. It was too boring for kids, but also too childish (looking) for adults.

The second season was a noticeable improvement, but it was still very rough. I don't think the show found its voice until season 3.

Absolutely true. I remember watching it as a kid and thinking it was terribly ugly and inconsistent animation (though I couldn’t express it because I was just a kid) and the stories were just blah. I even knew as a kid that it was edited really strangely, with all the overlapping dialogue that didn’t give the “jokes” any room to breathe. If you can even consider them jokes. Yeah it was subversive to the sitcom genre but it was also totally toothless considering we were just finishing a decade where tits and hardcore gore was considered PG. People remembering The Simpsons as some kind of seismic shift aren’t remembering it right.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Wizard Master posted:

Perhaps you're thinking of Tennis the Menace, where Homer and Marge get a tennis court built in their backyard. Homer has a dream about being murdered and cuckolded by Bart and when he wakes up he says that

amazing, you are amazing

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

By the way, you're probably like me and remembering how god-awful this episode was and the lovely cameos from Venus and Serene Williams and other tennis players. Just a reminder that this episode first aired in February 2001. Sweet dreams :twisted: :twisted:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

Mission Hill > The Critic :v:

But they're both great shows

That's like comparing finding a hundred dollar bill on the street to winning the lottery. Mission Hill still resonates with me in a way no other show does.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Mission Hill creates an unrealistic expectation of what life in your 20s is like

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Is this a flashback to 1996?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Wizard Master posted:

By the way, you're probably like me and remembering how god-awful this episode was and the lovely cameos from Venus and Serene Williams and other tennis players. Just a reminder that this episode first aired in February 2001. Sweet dreams :twisted: :twisted:

The simpsons turned into hardcore poo poo so quickly no one even noticed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

snack eater posted:

Mission Hill creates an unrealistic expectation of what life in your 20s is like

We've had this discussion already, but those huge cavernous lofts in run-down old industrial buildings with clanky service elevators were totally a thing at the time

In fact Homer once moved into one I think

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

. People remembering The Simpsons as some kind of seismic shift aren’t remembering it right.

There's a reason they got name checked as morally decadent by the President of the United States, though

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Other posted:

Is this a flashback to 1996?

Chud spotted. Probably likes new Simpsons too.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

it was subversive to the sitcom genre but it was also totally toothless considering we were just finishing a decade where tits and hardcore gore was considered PG. People remembering The Simpsons as some kind of seismic shift aren’t remembering it right.

Yeah there was splatter and gore in movies but as far as attitudes go, and ways of thinking and being and language, nothing touched the Simpsons for its newness, especially in the world of television. HBO existed but networks were completely dominant and enforced very strict rules on what could and couldn’t be shown- a huge amount of cultural influence. Also an unspoken code not to talk about money problems, or having sympathetic characters being disrespectful or dishonest people that you’d actually root for in their challenging of authority. Stuff that was unpatriotic or critical of the system itself wouldn’t be able to find a home.

The first season is probably not enjoyable for kids, because there’s so much melancholy humour it really can only resonate with adults. It’s like Peanuts in that you’re not really capable of seeing some of the humor until you were old enough to live through those experiences and emotions.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I consider 2-10 perfect seasons of TV and have never once considered putting season 1 on for fun in one of my 30 watch throughs. It just looks and sounds like garbage.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Season 1 chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usEFESgxG0E

Data Graham posted:

We've had this discussion already, but those huge cavernous lofts in run-down old industrial buildings with clanky service elevators were totally a thing at the time

In fact Homer once moved into one I think

Bart moved into one on the episode with Tony Hawk. Lisa asks if Bart even knows what a loft is, and Bart responds "I dunno. I assume it has hay." or something similar. That's about all I remember from the episode.

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
I could go for some crab juice and kalkalash right about now

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Absolutely true. I remember watching it as a kid and thinking it was terribly ugly and inconsistent animation (though I couldn’t express it because I was just a kid) and the stories were just blah. I even knew as a kid that it was edited really strangely, with all the overlapping dialogue that didn’t give the “jokes” any room to breathe. If you can even consider them jokes. Yeah it was subversive to the sitcom genre but it was also totally toothless considering we were just finishing a decade where tits and hardcore gore was considered PG. People remembering The Simpsons as some kind of seismic shift aren’t remembering it right.

But it was, for television at least. It would not have been controversial if it wasn't. Season 1 doesn't reflect this as much as season 2, but it still caused and outcry, and the fact that its something that even the most uptight parents would probably have no objections with showing their children today demonstrates how pivotal it was.

Television had always been largely dominated by wholesome, generic, mostly family-driven sitcoms where nothing is subversive, morals are black and white, most people have good intentions and conflicts are always just a big misunderstanding. For example, prior to The Simpsons, can you picture a show where the children characters' teachers are depressed, drunk, and burned out and don't really care about their students' success?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Sagebrush posted:

i saw this guest animated couch gag for the first time today and it's pretty badass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZu5iDTtNg0

This would be an okay couch gag if it didn’t have that dumbass VHS tracking problem filter over it. Yeah, I got it, ‘80s and whatnot, but it adds nothing to the actual content or ‘80s visuals. The visuals carry themselves nicely without a HEY GUYS REMEMBER VHS PROBLEMS AMIRITE wink and a nudge to no one in particular.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

The SImpsons should have made a choice to remain set in he 90s, and ignore time progression and pop culture altogether. Ironically being a throwback to the past would be a major asset these days, as people are looking for nostalgia.

They ran out of “family struggle” topics long ago. Remember when Lisa’s saxophone was stolen because of Homer and he tried to get it back? These days that kind of story would be dead in the water because it doesn’t have two celebrity guest appearances, a musical number and a way to include a big corporate brand in the story.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
someone remind me why draft dodging is bad again

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

someone remind me why draft dodging is bad again

Because the people being shamed are also nationalistic war hawks. They are not actually being shamed for draft dodging, but for hypocrisy. Draft dodging is the evidence of their shame, not the shame itself.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
but people also get shamed for draft dodging by nationalistic warhawks... also liberals, like simpsons writers

though i guess that's not relevant if we're talking about trump

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

oh hey, another episode about nu lisa being a basic bougie bitch

"smart people listen to NPR right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/thesimpsons/status/1084620821341954048?s=21
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: