Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Timby posted:

Shot in the dark, but this sounds like it could have been Awake, which ran on NBC for a season something like seven or eight years ago.

Haven't seen that one, unfortunately.

I started thinking it might have been an episode of Cheers, and I did find a scene in an episode where he's imagining how a son of his might turn out (a lovely criminal) but it's played for laughs and not the sweetly sad moment I'm remembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

It’s not Awake (which was a good-rear end show!) as the main character rejected having a life without his son and without his daughter and thus lived in both worlds knowing that one was a hallucination and he just didn’t give a gently caress.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

artsy fartsy posted:

A show, I think, with an episode where the main male character sees visions of a son he might have if something in his life were to go a certain way (a romantic plot, maybe?) But at the end of the episode he accepts, for whatever reason, that it's not going to happen and says goodbye to this imaginary son. It made me sad.

This happens in an episode of Justice League Unlimited called "For the Man Who Has Everything".

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Oh! This happened in the last season of Lost, too. In the flash sideways, Jack has a son. And as he starts to realize that world isn’t real, he still bonds with his not real son.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Trevor Hale posted:

Oh! This happened in the last season of Lost, too. In the flash sideways, Jack has a son. And as he starts to realize that world isn’t real, he still bonds with his not real son.

not dad ‘bonds’ with not son

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

artsy fartsy posted:

Okay this is driving me nuts because I saw whatever it was not that long ago. But I also watch a lot of older stuff, so who knows.

A show, I think, with an episode where the main male character sees visions of a son he might have if something in his life were to go a certain way (a romantic plot, maybe?) But at the end of the episode he accepts, for whatever reason, that it's not going to happen and says goodbye to this imaginary son. It made me sad.

This trope occurs somewhat in The Last Temptation of Christ.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, I have one that might be easy for anyone here to figure out. It's a borrowed piece of music that I just heard in episode 3 of Good Girls. It's from the scene where the three main characters are coming back across the border. It's like 3 notes, only separated by semitones, no whole tones, they go up, they go down, while a few chords play in the background.

It's not originally from the show because I've heard it before, but I can't place it. Help? IMDB has nothing that I could find.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, I have one that might be easy for anyone here to figure out. It's a borrowed piece of music that I just heard in episode 3 of Good Girls. It's from the scene where the three main characters are coming back across the border. It's like 3 notes, only separated by semitones, no whole tones, they go up, they go down, while a few chords play in the background.

It's not originally from the show because I've heard it before, but I can't place it. Help? IMDB has nothing that I could find.

Have you tried Shazam?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Does this help? https://www.what-song.com/Tvshow/100306/Good-Girls/e/110855
Do you have a link to the scene?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

therattle posted:

Have you tried Shazam?

Shazam needs more than three notes, unless they're really distinctive and long notes.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

therattle posted:

Have you tried Shazam?

What does the film where Sinbad plays a genie have to do with this?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Unfortunately not, since that only lists songs, and this was part of the score. BUT! I asked on my Facebook as well, and a friend of mine helped me out. It's a Carter Burwell piece from Adaptation.

Specifically, this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgi3Bd6Iurk

Aaaaaahhhhh, now my mind can rest.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Torquemada posted:

Except no one dies in Doom, there’s just bones in the spike room

Which is nowhere near as bad as spikes in the bone room.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Unfortunately not, since that only lists songs, and this was part of the score. BUT! I asked on my Facebook as well, and a friend of mine helped me out. It's a Carter Burwell piece from Adaptation.

Specifically, this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgi3Bd6Iurk

Aaaaaahhhhh, now my mind can rest.

I know where you're coming from, there was a period of like four or five years where I vaguely remembered this theme and had no clue whatsoever how to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKiLB3rrUQ8

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

codyclarke posted:

This trope occurs somewhat in The Last Temptation of Christ.

Well shoot, apparently it's in a whole lot of things. Still haven't zeroed in on what I'm remembering, I'm starting to wonder if I dreamed it up.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

artsy fartsy posted:

Well shoot, apparently it's in a whole lot of things. Still haven't zeroed in on what I'm remembering, I'm starting to wonder if I dreamed it up.

There was an episode of The Magicians where 2 of the main characters travel back in time to solve a puzzle to find a key but they can't solve it and end up living out most of the rest of their days and one of them has a son in that time. At the end, one of them dies of old age and the other manages to solve the puzzle which takes them back to the present at the same age as when they left the first time and they only remember fragments of what happened there. It's a really beautiful/sad episode.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There was the end of 25th Hour, where Brian Cox is driving his son played by Ed Norton to prison, and imagines what his life and future would be like if he just kept driving instead.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'd post this in the TVIV equivalent to this thread if there was one, but there does not appear to be, so this may be my best bet. I'm trying to pin down the details of a fuzzily-remembered plot arc in a soap opera that my mother watched and I was at home to see at least part of an episode of.

Relevant details, though this is based on memory and may not be totally correct:

- broadcast somewhere between 1987 and 1994 (based on when we lived in that house), best guess would be 1988.
- my mother's usual watches were the ABC soaps----One Life to Live, All My Children, General Hospital
- the plot, as best I remember, involved the soap opera characters getting trapped by an avalanche on a ski trip (?) and finding some kind of bizarre temple inside the mountain, possibly of alien origin.
- there may have also been a helicopter crash

I may have hallucinated this, being a child at the time.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

hexwren posted:

I'd post this in the TVIV equivalent to this thread if there was one, but there does not appear to be, so this may be my best bet. I'm trying to pin down the details of a fuzzily-remembered plot arc in a soap opera that my mother watched and I was at home to see at least part of an episode of.

Relevant details, though this is based on memory and may not be totally correct:

- broadcast somewhere between 1987 and 1994 (based on when we lived in that house), best guess would be 1988.
- my mother's usual watches were the ABC soaps----One Life to Live, All My Children, General Hospital
- the plot, as best I remember, involved the soap opera characters getting trapped by an avalanche on a ski trip (?) and finding some kind of bizarre temple inside the mountain, possibly of alien origin.

This definitely sounds familiar to me (and not in a false memory way) so I don't think you hallucinated it. I wouldn't know what soap opera it was though. I'd suggest finding some sort of soaps forum to ask at if no one can remember it here. If you ever find out, I'd like to know too.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

hexwren posted:

It's One Life to Live's Eterna storyline. If you're really curious, there might be clips on YouTube. It's not a storyline I've watched, but it does have a polarizing reputation in soap history. It was considered way out there at the time, but of course, that's been eclipsed a lot since then.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's One Life to Live's Eterna storyline. If you're really curious, there might be clips on YouTube. It's not a storyline I've watched, but it does have a polarizing reputation in soap history. It was considered way out there at the time, but of course, that's been eclipsed a lot since then.

This is insane and I'm so glad I follow this thread.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Same! I hadn't thought about it in ages and ages until hexwren brought it up. I am glad it is now back in my life. Thank you, RC and Moon Pie!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

artsy fartsy posted:

Okay this is driving me nuts because I saw whatever it was not that long ago. But I also watch a lot of older stuff, so who knows.

There's a Star Trek:Next Generation episode where Riker experiences something similar (turns out to be a lonely alien using a mind-altering device to scare up some company; at the end, Riker says "Hey look, just come with me and I'll take you on my really cool ship full of interesting people and you won't be lonely anymore.")

Also a couple of Batman: the Brave and the Bold episodes where they explore this with Superman and also with Batman.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

artsy fartsy posted:

There was an episode of Justice League (For the Man Who Has Everything) where this happens to Superman. He gets a fantasy of home planet not exploding, so he gets to live his live with his family and marries and has a kid. But to break the spell and return to reality he has to turn his back on the fantasy and say goodbye to that life. The same magical doo-dad also gets on Batman, so he temporarily sees his dad fight off the mugger from the night his parents are killed. Real knife twist there.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CzarChasm posted:

There was an episode of Justice League (For the Man Who Has Everything) where this happens to Superman. He gets a fantasy of home planet not exploding, so he gets to live his live with his family and marries and has a kid. But to break the spell and return to reality he has to turn his back on the fantasy and say goodbye to that life. The same magical doo-dad also gets on Batman, so he temporarily sees his dad fight off the mugger from the night his parents are killed. Real knife twist there.

Fucken Mongul, such a dick

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

artsy fartsy posted:

Haven't seen that one, unfortunately.

I started thinking it might have been an episode of Cheers, and I did find a scene in an episode where he's imagining how a son of his might turn out (a lovely criminal) but it's played for laughs and not the sweetly sad moment I'm remembering.

It is the Cheers episode, just watch the end.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ieh4p

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Hot drat, this is even better than I remembered. I am definitely going to have to try and track this piece down.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

CzarChasm posted:

For some reason I swore this was a Batman episode but you're totally right. It was a brutal show.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I'm looking for a movie.

It was on Sci-fi channel in the 90's. I remember it being fairly boring, but had some interesting moments. 3-4 characters were trapped in some kind of giant mansion with no one else there. I think at some point they find out it's purgatory, but it's unclear. The through-line is they're all there in this mansion, and they're trying to figure out why they're there. They're all strangers. Its not like Saw, though. It's more like Cube, but if nothing interesting happened.

Edit for clarification:

ErIog posted:

I should have said this in the post, but the house wasn't like gothic or victorian. It was modern glass and steel construction, and like on a beach or something. They could see outside, but I don't think it was possible for them to leave.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 13, 2019

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ErIog posted:

I'm looking for a movie.

It was on Sci-fi channel in the 90's. I remember it being fairly boring, but had some interesting moments. 3-4 characters were trapped in some kind of giant mansion with no one else there. I think at some point they find out it's purgatory, but it's unclear. The through-line is they're all there in this mansion, and they're trying to figure out why they're there. They're all strangers. Its not like Saw, though. It's more like Cube, but if nothing interesting
Sounds like The Haunting, the 1999 adaptation of The Haunting Of Hill House with Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta Jones and Owen Wilson. Lots of being trapped in a huge mansion, purgatory is part of the plot and themes.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ErIog posted:

I'm looking for a movie.

It was on Sci-fi channel in the 90's. I remember it being fairly boring, but had some interesting moments. 3-4 characters were trapped in some kind of giant mansion with no one else there. I think at some point they find out it's purgatory, but it's unclear. The through-line is they're all there in this mansion, and they're trying to figure out why they're there. They're all strangers. Its not like Saw, though. It's more like Cube, but if nothing interesting

I think I remember that one, its main star reminds me of Michelle Rodrigez but isn't.
Dammit, this is going to annoy me now.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

Sounds like The Haunting, the 1999 adaptation of The Haunting Of Hill House with Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta Jones and Owen Wilson. Lots of being trapped in a huge mansion, purgatory is part of the plot and themes.

This is not it, but I wonder if I might be able to find it based on it possibly being another adaptation of the same thing. I should have said this in the post, but the reason I got more of a sci-fi vibe was because the house wasn't like gothic or victorian. It was modern glass and steel construction.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

ErIog posted:

This is not it, but I wonder if I might be able to find it based on it possibly being another adaptation of the same thing. I should have said this in the post, but the reason I got more of a sci-fi vibe was because the house wasn't like gothic or victorian. It was modern glass and steel construction.
The mansion in 13 Ghosts looks like that. Skip to about 30 seconds in this trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVLsJKewZqk

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Pilchenstein posted:

The mansion in 13 Ghosts looks like that. Skip to about 30 seconds in this trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVLsJKewZqk

Yeah, I can see how I could also be describing 13 Ghosts, but it's not that. I saw this movie on Sci-fi channel in the 1990's (year 2000 at the latest). Some of the aesthetic beats of the 13 Ghosts house are similar, but it wasn't really a puzzle box excitement house. It was more like, "we're all trapped in this neverending glass/steel beach house and can't go outside and who the gently caress are any of you and why are any of us here let's just walk from room to room while nothing much interesting happens."

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

ErIog posted:

Yeah, I can see how I could also be describing 13 Ghosts, but it's not that.
I figured it was a long shot since you weren't describing the plot of 13 Ghosts at all but you never know. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Couple of horror movies I remember seeing on television which I can't remember titles for:

One of them took place entirely in the desert and it was about a group of motorists who are targeted by a rogue sniper (who I don't believe is ever seen in the movie) and picked off one by one; I am pretty sure it is not Carnage Park but I believe it was sold as being based on a true story.

The other was one with these people trapped in a spooky castle; the characters I remember were a black guy and a blonde woman and the villain stalking them looked like a loving Orc; there was a scene where one of them pretends to be dead floating face up in a pool of water and the Orc stabs them with a harpoon, then another one shortly afterwards where they get to some kind of kitchen or workshop or laboratory where the black guy is going on about how crazy the situation is, and he keeps bending over while he's gasping for breath, then he bends over one last time and suddenly the Orc is right behind him.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Couple of horror movies I remember seeing on television which I can't remember titles for:

Was the first one recent? Downrange came out last year and is like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LesterGroans posted:

Was the first one recent? Downrange came out last year and is like that.

I don't think so; a summary of that movie sounds similar but it would definitely be a bit older than that.

It might have been set in Australia, though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Sounds somewhat like the John Ford film The Lost Patrol (1934) although that's not a horror movie and they were soldiers and not motorists... it was remade a couple times though including a 1995 version called Sahara.

Probably not it, but maybe it will help in the search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think so; a summary of that movie sounds similar but it would definitely be a bit older than that.

It might have been set in Australia, though.

Could be Wolf Creek, but you definitely see the killer in that.