Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I can't find the last few stores I need to buy to get 100% of an area in Yakuza 0 and it's bugging me that the map doesn't show you stores you can buy. Even running up to every store front I can find isn't helping. There's three I'm missing but I only know where one is.

I'd just check a walkthrough if I were you, this one for example. The maps are on top of each section and you can avoid reading ahead if you want to keep yourself more or less spoiler free. It might be that the property you are missing is unlocked when you finish a substory, too.
Also I'm sure you know this but if you pause the game and go into the business section, you can highlight any area progress bar and it will tell you which properties you have bought and which ones you're missing. With that and the walkthrough it should take just a moment to find them.
Having said that, sometimes the prompt to look at a property was weirdly placed. Like, you'd be in front of the door and you'd think that was where the game wanted you to be, but no, for some reason it was a couple of steps to the right.

I'm enjoying Yakuza 0 way more than I thought I would. The only annoying thing for me is that I'm really bad at some of the rhythm minigames and that's going to lock me out of a couple of rewards. I have also tried to beat the last Pocket Fighter race way too many times, but I don't know if there's a RNG component there or I just haven't found the best items for my slot car.
Oh, and I really don't like some of those unskippable animations during dialogues ("girl looking up", "Kiryu giving the other guy a thumbs up") that you need to watch completely before you can jump to the next line... but that gives the game a little clunky charm so I can forgive the extra second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mendigo posted:

I'm enjoying Yakuza 0 way more than I thought I would. The only annoying thing for me is that I'm really bad at some of the rhythm minigames and that's going to lock me out of a couple of rewards. I have also tried to beat the last Pocket Fighter race way too many times, but I don't know if there's a RNG component there or I just haven't found the best items for my slot car.

There isnt anything much worth worrying about locked behind the rhythm minigames, you might miss out an achievement or two maybe, so dont worry about it. Trying to platinum Yakuza games is frankly for insane people who know already know how to play a variety of Asian gambling games and have a good chunk of time on their hands, and I say that as someone who adores the series.

There is some RNG component to the pocket circuit, yes. There are various guides online that give you the "best" loadout for your car for each race, but it is entirely possible to have that loadout and lose really badly. Part of it is knowing when to boost, but part of it does seem to be pure RNG. The upside of that is that if you dont have the "ideal" loadout according to some guide (because for example its from the dream machines and they havent paid out that part for you) you can probably approximate it from the bits you already have and be in with a good chance.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm loving Spiderman for PS4 but dear lord, the MJ and Miles forced stealth missions. Yes, let's take away the power fantasy of being Spiderman and play as some nerd instead, nice job Insomniac. :jerkbag:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

AC Origins chooses to be more western-centric by being set in the Ptolemy Era, when Eygpt was overrun by the Greeks and the Romans, so they can have figures like Caesar and the one Cleopatra people give a poo poo about around.

But Caesar in this story is a complete nobody who expresses none of strengths he's none for, doesn't get much screentime, and he isn't even in charge of the big Templar conspiracy. He very much falls in to famous-person box-ticking trap like much bad historical fiction.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

AC Origins chooses to be more western-centric by being set in the Ptolemy Era, when Eygpt was overrun by the Greeks and the Romans, so they can have figures like Caesar and the one Cleopatra people give a poo poo about around.

But Caesar in this story is a complete nobody who expresses none of strengths he's none for, doesn't get much screentime, and he isn't even in charge of the big Templar conspiracy. He very much falls in to famous-person box-ticking trap like much bad historical fiction.

It absolutely is that but I think he is also a plot device for Bayek and Aya to split up, with Bayek's following presumably leading to the actual Assassins in AC1 and Aya establishing the operations of AC2.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mendigo posted:

Oh, and I really don't like some of those unskippable animations during dialogues ("girl looking up", "Kiryu giving the other guy a thumbs up") that you need to watch completely before you can jump to the next line... but that gives the game a little clunky charm so I can forgive the extra second.
Kiwami 2 lets you cancel those animations for the next line. As much as I thought having to wait the extra second annoyed me, it's actually way more off-putting to see the characters twitch back to original pose all the time.

wafflemoose posted:

I'm loving Spiderman for PS4 but dear lord, the MJ and Miles forced stealth missions. Yes, let's take away the power fantasy of being Spiderman and play as some nerd instead, nice job Insomniac. :jerkbag:
There is a bit of a narrative point to them, and there are one or two in the late game that have a really decent gimmick. And for that to work you need to have a few under your belt so you're familiar with the controls; but that said yeah my heart always sank a little when I realized one was coming up.

I'm just disappointed none of the stealth sections had you playing as Peter trying to get to a place where he can put on the mask while a villain is wrecking the place. That's like, Spider-Man writing 101.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In one instance where Peter lost the suit he had to make do with a hand-me-down outfit from the Fantastic 4 and a paper-bag on his head.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Welp, new thing dragging this game down: this suit is not in the Spider-Man game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So...weird question. I finally fired up Shadow of the Tomb Raider and noticed I start with all my weapons. Is that because I beat the other 2? I saw a brief message about "since you defeated the previous games..." but missed what it said.

Worried this might drag the game down and make it too easy. Do u just automatically start with all your weapons? I don't have any of the attachments or upgrades.

Also, started a replay of RE7 to prime myself for RE2 remake. I haven't played it in forever but on my second game shouldn't I get a bonus weapon somewhere? My item slots don't show one and I don't want to miss it either.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's not what is not going to drag the game down because combat is easy even with just the bow and more importantly, it's very rare in this game and will mostly involve stealth-shanking guys while hiding in foliage/grass with mud in your face.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BiggerBoat posted:

So...weird question. I finally fired up Shadow of the Tomb Raider and noticed I start with all my weapons. Is that because I beat the other 2? I saw a brief message about "since you defeated the previous games..." but missed what it said.

Worried this might drag the game down and make it too easy. Do u just automatically start with all your weapons? I don't have any of the attachments or upgrades.

That's just the prologue. You get Metroided out of all your weapons once the game begins in full. You get some outfits from owning the previous games but they are mostly all cosmetic.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

exquisite tea posted:

That's just the prologue. You get Metroided out of all your weapons once the game begins in full. You get some outfits from owning the previous games but they are mostly all cosmetic.

Out of curiosity, are those all for owning the other games or beating them? Picked up the games during Steam sales, hadn't messed with Shadow yet because I'm waiting on my new computer to arrive but wanted to play it to test out my new graphics when it does show and wasn't sure if there was a need to finish the other two first.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Dead Space 2 on Steam has that same problem. They packaged the DLC for free so as soon as you come across your first store you have access to all these free suits and weapons. Kinda ruins the tension of a survival horror game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

exquisite tea posted:

Thanks. I figured something was up there.

MadDogMike posted:

Out of curiosity, are those all for owning the other games or beating them? Picked up the games during Steam sales, hadn't messed with Shadow yet because I'm waiting on my new computer to arrive but wanted to play it to test out my new graphics when it does show and wasn't sure if there was a need to finish the other two first.

Good question. If I remember right, the message I partially read said "because you COMPLETED x and y" but I was only sort of paying attention.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

wafflemoose posted:

Dead Space 2 on Steam has that same problem. They packaged the DLC for free so as soon as you come across your first store you have access to all these free suits and weapons. Kinda ruins the tension of a survival horror game.

Yeah when I wanted to replay it I tried to find like a mod or edit to get rid of them but in the end just couldn't be arsed and replayed it on the 360 instead. They either clutter up your inventory/cache or you sell them all and instead have an insane amount of money, guess I could have bought ammo and just fired it or something but it's so dumb. Just let me turn that poo poo off. Most of that DLC is just you get one weapon slightly earlier or some completely meaningless passive trinket thing but that's the one time I felt it really unbalanced and hosed up a game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah when I wanted to replay it I tried to find like a mod or edit to get rid of them but in the end just couldn't be arsed and replayed it on the 360 instead. They either clutter up your inventory/cache or you sell them all and instead have an insane amount of money, guess I could have bought ammo and just fired it or something but it's so dumb. Just let me turn that poo poo off. Most of that DLC is just you get one weapon slightly earlier or some completely meaningless passive trinket thing but that's the one time I felt it really unbalanced and hosed up a game.

Redeem the cd key on origin and you can download a version with out all the DLC weapons.

I think you should be able to just drag the exe onto your steam copy so you don't need to keep origin installed

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Guacamelee:

Why on earth is the dodge-roll mapped to the right-stick instead of a button, and why the gently caress do you have do these awkward roll-jumps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzq0qj1kVo4&t=1234s

I'm not too keen on colour-coded enemy shield thing either.

And then I straight up gave up on the game when they started mixing exploding-enemies with colour-coded enemies. For the record there is a foe that you must destroy because it blow will up in 9 seconds. If they blow up you get hit for damage and knocked back, regardless of your location. These exploding foes can come in groups and even appear in rooms with lava.

There comes a point in a game where you introduce too many rules to combat and it suddenly isn't fun any more.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Jan 14, 2019

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, started a replay of RE7 to prime myself for RE2 remake. I haven't played it in forever but on my second game shouldn't I get a bonus weapon somewhere? My item slots don't show one and I don't want to miss it either.

All unlocked items in RE7 are in the storage chests. So, you don't get them until after the first part of the game. (which makes that first part a real bitch on Madhouse difficulty)

Funny thing, my first playthrough of the game, on normal, the Chainsaw fight was a huge roadblock for me. I simply could not deal with it. Then after another playthrough and learning the value of blocking and patience, and really learning the value of patience in earlier parts of Madhouse, I was able to beat that fight on my 2nd try on Madhouse.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That Gloomhaven is getting a PC port but it won't have multiplayer because ???

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Len posted:

That Gloomhaven is getting a PC port but it won't have multiplayer because ???

It's not a port, it's a 'reimagining'.

If you want to play Gloomhaven on PC then just install Tabletop Simulator and install the free Gloomhaven mod.

It even handles setup for you (including individual scenario setup) and otherwise it's just like having the actual game except you only paid like $20 and you're playing virtually instead of with 10kg worth of plastic and cardboard.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bewilderment posted:

It's not a port, it's a 'reimagining'.

If you want to play Gloomhaven on PC then just install Tabletop Simulator and install the free Gloomhaven mod.

It even handles setup for you (including individual scenario setup) and otherwise it's just like having the actual game except you only paid like $20 and you're playing virtually instead of with 10kg worth of plastic and cardboard.

Seems weird to put your legacy dungeon crawling game about a group of murderhobos on steam if only one person can play it. If road/city events are still in they're going to suck because a lot depend on having x class in your party.

TTS is fun and all and I know the dev has a link to the module on the Gloormhaven website but I'd be okay with passing more money over to him. I got my physical copy hella cheap from a bent and dent store that didn't realize what they had

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Len posted:

Seems weird to put your legacy dungeon crawling game about a group of murderhobos on steam if only one person can play it. If road/city events are still in they're going to suck because a lot depend on having x class in your party.

Isaac posted:

"And just as a point of clarification, it will be a true port of the board game. We are doing our best to capture all the mechanics of the original game, while still taking all the unnecessary bookkeeping of monster movement off the shoulders of the players. It will look and play like a tactical RPG with the card-based mechanics of Gloomhaven. To start, we will just have a random dungeon generator for early access, but the full campaign will be implemented, and multiplayer is on the priority list as well. It’s a lot of work, but I’m sure Flaming Fowl is up to the task!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ah cool the top results for googling Gloomhaven Steam Multiplayer were Reddit and Steam posts a lot like that guy who called it a reimagining and told me to play on TTS.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Playing Shadow of Mordor for the first time, thoroughly enjoyed my thirty-odd hours in the game and then the very last boss battle is a four-button QTE!? Come back (from the dead) nemeses, all is forgiven.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Welp, new thing dragging this game down: this suit is not in the Spider-Man game.
It is, however, in the PS1 Neversoft game. Get your act together, Insomniac. :colbert:

I realize it's probably out of their hands.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Guacamelee:

Why on earth is the dodge-roll mapped to the right-stick instead of a button, and why the gently caress do you have do these awkward roll-jumps?

It's been a while since I played Guacamelee but isn't roll/dodge bound to a trigger as well?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, I played guacamelee with a controller and was able to use a trigger to roll.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Sometimes actions are mapped to more than one button but the tutorial will only show one of them.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Spintires: Mudrunner has a "next-gen" brown/gray colour pallette/filter and it ruins the game for me. Original Spintires had such a lovely and homey colour pallette which combined with the other visual elements made for a really pretty game. Even though it has lot more content and improvements I can't get myself to play such an ugly game. :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've been playing Prey on Normal and it owns super hard, it might be one of my favorite games ever - but the difficulty curve is just absolutely bonkers-weird. Like, yeah, I've been going out of my way to do sidequests and stuff but I've only got one Typhon 'mod, Mimic I, just to solve a couple puzzles - I almost always have a stack of 10+ neuromods just sitting in my inventory and I'm only at the power plant. The game has gone from a tense experience creeping around a derelict space station to Detective Yu's Investigative Services as I seem to spend more of my time tracking down AWOL employees than completing main objectives. Even the Nightmare showing up is only a big deal at this point if it spawns in an area near survivors - "THE NIGHTMARE IS HUNTING YOU," are you kidding? I can burn down the nightmare in seconds, let it come.

I could turn up the difficulty but I'm not sure that would help other than to siphon away more ammo per encounter, which....again, isn't really an issue anymore, because somewhere around the cargo bay area the game starts throwing so much Mineral Material junk (to say nothing of recycler charges) at you that there's no longer a real bottleneck to making bullets.

I'm still loving the game, it's just kind of goofy when the tone has shifted so far away from the narrative tone.

Also the greenhouse has a big open roof and that's just silly on the face of it.

e: the real LTDTGD is that I doubt it will ever get a sequel, and it is so good, it really deserves one

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Jan 15, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

food court bailiff posted:

I've been playing Prey on Normal and it owns super hard, it might be one of my favorite games ever - but the difficulty curve is just absolutely bonkers-weird. Like, yeah, I've been going out of my way to do sidequests and stuff but I've only got one Typhon 'mod, Mimic I, just to solve a couple puzzles - I almost always have a stack of 10+ neuromods just sitting in my inventory and I'm only at the power plant. The game has gone from a tense experience creeping around a derelict space station to Detective Yu's Investigative Services as I seem to spend more of my time tracking down AWOL employees than completing main objectives. Even the Nightmare showing up is only a big deal at this point if it spawns in an area near survivors - "THE NIGHTMARE IS HUNTING YOU," are you kidding? I can burn down the nightmare in seconds, let it come.

I could turn up the difficulty but I'm not sure that would help other than to siphon away more ammo per encounter, which....again, isn't really an issue anymore, because somewhere around the cargo bay area the game starts throwing so much Mineral Material junk (to say nothing of recycler charges) at you that there's no longer a real bottleneck to making bullets.

I'm still loving the game, it's just kind of goofy when the tone has shifted so far away from the narrative tone.

Also the greenhouse has a big open roof and that's just silly on the face of it.

e: the real LTDTGD is that I doubt it will ever get a sequel, and it is so good, it really deserves one

I played Prey at either the highest difficulty or the second highest, and while the tension still does disappear eventually, as you eventually become a shotgun or psi-wielding god/dess, it certainly is prolonged. But yeah the mood at the start of the game and the mood at the end are wildly different.

You'd probably really like Mooncrash - the difficulty slowly moves up the longer you play in a session, with new, stronger enemies spawning into areas, meaning that you need to keep an eye out much more than the base game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I actually really like exploring and planning methodically so that might not be a great fit for me - but I'm going to end up buying it anyway because drat, I really want more Prey.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

food court bailiff posted:

I actually really like exploring and planning methodically so that might not be a great fit for me - but I'm going to end up buying it anyway because drat, I really want more Prey.

Nightmare difficulty with all survival options on has done a good job of keeping me dying and siphoning off stockpiled resources over time, but you still shotgun god your way through enemies; the main change seems to be upping enemy aggression and damage dealing rather than tanking. The first Weaver just immediately throws a cystoid swarm as soon as it spots you, for example.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is well known for letting you play a queer character if you so wish. Every NPC who can be boinked, can be boinked by either gender. It's classical Greece, and the creative director for the game said they felt it was important to let the player be however they wish regarding sexuality in the game and never force them into a relationship or sexual situation.

That does not apply as of the new DLC, which forces your character, no matter what dialogue options you take, to fall in love with someone of the opposite sex, get married, settle down, and have kids. The achievement is named Growing Up.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Cythereal posted:

So, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is well known for letting you play a queer character if you so wish. Every NPC who can be boinked, can be boinked by either gender. It's classical Greece, and the creative director for the game said they felt it was important to let the player be however they wish regarding sexuality in the game and never force them into a relationship or sexual situation.

That does not apply as of the new DLC, which forces your character, no matter what dialogue options you take, to fall in love with someone of the opposite sex, get married, settle down, and have kids. The achievement is named Growing Up.

That's like 12 different types of gently caress You.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I only played the first AC and some Black Flag but if you squint and jump through some dumb thought processes I guess it works maybe?

Are you still following an Assassin Family line? Maybe they were going with you can doink anything that moves and bastards be damned but you won't settle down and teach the trade to the next generation until whatever arbitrary reason it provides. And something something can't just have a surrogate.

That doesn't make it not lovely though

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Are they still doing that "exploring the memories of your ancestor" thing? Can't be an ancestor if you don't have kids.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

terrenblade posted:

Are they still doing that "exploring the memories of your ancestor" thing? Can't be an ancestor if you don't have kids.

No, that plot point was dropped around...8 years ago? Along with most of the real world segments.

There is not even a modern-day protagonist anymore, its either a faceless nobody or this one new girl who might as well be a faceless nobody.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samuringa posted:

No, that plot point was dropped around...8 years ago? Along with most of the real world segments.

Yeah, they specifically state in the opening of this one that they're getting the DNA off blood on the Spear of Leonidas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

In the previous game the main character was accessing memories by plugging in a 2000 year old grave. She then moved on to getting DNA from a spear in Odyssey.

Note that this (broken) spear is used to stab people. Yet it still has DNA from the wielder.