Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Caesar Saladin posted:

they are different every time, new players and coaches and stuff, i feel like this is you purposefully ignoring a lot of obvious differences between baseball and a platformer for the mega drive, also if you're really good at sports you make millions of dollars and marry country music singers and stuff

i don't really like sports much though

American football is extremely repetitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Gearbox and especially Randy Pitchford can gently caress off forever. Those Half Life expansions were terrible

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

StabMasterArson posted:

Gearbox and especially Randy Pitchford can gently caress off forever. Those Half Life expansions were terrible

They really were, the gulf in quality from HL1 to Opposing Force is immense.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Blue Shift was still better than HL2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Based on their entire post half-life output the best developer to work on that game was Taito

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I don’t know what a Half-A button press means, what games it applies to, or how it relates to speedruns

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing people aren't bringing up is that speedrunning is competitive. People who run the same game compete to hold the current record.

I mean, poo poo, I don't have that level of dedication for practicing anything. If people want to compete and test themselves, form a community around learning the technical ins and outs of these games, and stream it to make money off people who like to watch that stuff, how's that so bad?

I'm not about to compare it to physical sports or chess or anything like that, but I also don't think it's so thoroughly anomalous that it has to be treated as a sign of some sort of mental disorder. There are plenty of weirder hobbies out there.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bullfrog is truly the most regrettable one of those.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Speedrunning is cool. GDQ sucks and is really bad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

a new study bible! posted:

Speedrunning is cool. GDQ sucks and is really bad.

Yeah GDQ is pretty boring these days. I already found it hard to watch because of how much reading out donation messages got repetitive, but the runs aren't even all that interesting to watch anymore on top of that.

Barudak posted:

The average level of parenting gamer dads provide is low enough they feel like Kratos is a positive role model.

God I hope nobody thinks Kratos is a good dad in that game. It's all about terrible parents loving up their kids and Kratos doesn't realize he's doing that until the end (when it's almost certainly too late).

huddlahuddla
Nov 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

One thing people aren't bringing up is that speedrunning is competitive. People who run the same game compete to hold the current record.

I mean, poo poo, I don't have that level of dedication for practicing anything. If people want to compete and test themselves, form a community around learning the technical ins and outs of these games, and stream it to make money off people who like to watch that stuff, how's that so bad?

I'm not about to compare it to physical sports or chess or anything like that, but I also don't think it's so thoroughly anomalous that it has to be treated as a sign of some sort of mental disorder. There are plenty of weirder hobbies out there.

Competing to be the biggest dork isn't a good thing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Shibawanko posted:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Lol I just saw the GDQ thread in games was locked because people were being creepy and weird lol.

huddlahuddla
Nov 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Just finished Wolfenstein 2 this morning and found it painfully mediocre and the cutscenes were mostly cringe-inducing.

Game devs trying to be "right on" by filling their game with NPCs that are ham fisted caricatures of various races is real bad.

huddlahuddla fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 13, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shibawanko posted:

Apparently some ex-Bullfrog devs worked on Two Point Hospital, a spiritual successor to Theme Hospital published by Sega. It's pretty good and has the same ol twisted sense of humour.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
THIS IS A VERY INTERESTING CONVERSATION.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

Wrong. Westwood.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Mass Effect 2 is the best of the series and 3 has the best gameplay :shrug:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That EA list should be longer. It's at least missing Visceral, Pandemic, and (posting from the near future) Respawn.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Whorelord posted:

Mass Effect 2 is the best of the series and 3 has the best gameplay :shrug:

No, but you see ea had already touched them by that point so those games were actually bad.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The multiplayer horde mode in mass effect (3?) Is the best wave based horde mode thing in any game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

That EA list should be longer. It's at least missing Visceral, Pandemic, and (posting from the near future) Respawn.

if they included everything it would have ended up looking like one of those WW1 grave yards, that just goes on into the horizon

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
people who get mad at nintendo party games are human garbage

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Waltzing Along posted:

That's sure is an... Unpopular opinion...

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah, no, Westwood

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Fallout series would be less lovely and boring if they'd set just one game outside of America

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

The Fallout series would be less lovely and boring if they'd set just one game outside of America

Fallout is lovely because Bethesda is lovely, not the arbitrary hellscape location they choose.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

bradzilla posted:

Fallout is lovely because Bethesda is lovely.

The ones before Fallout 3 were also really bad. Boom.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Fallout is lovely.
Wasteland was okay.
Zombies suck.
FPS games suck.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Harrow posted:

Yeah GDQ is pretty boring these days. I already found it hard to watch because of how much reading out donation messages got repetitive, but the runs aren't even all that interesting to watch anymore on top of that.

God I hope nobody thinks Kratos is a good dad in that game. It's all about terrible parents loving up their kids and Kratos doesn't realize he's doing that until the end (when it's almost certainly too late).

God of War spoilers (ish) I guess? :

I thought it was super-turbo lovely of a God of War game to have the ending NOT be that, like, it sort of kind of 'hints' at the idea of it being too late toward the end, but actually the way it ends and where they are at (Atreyus totally gets over it all and soldiers on like a trooper) implies it isn't at all too late, and that the only 'tragedy' is fate. But, in a kind of, stiff upper lip, I'm more dignified than to fight it / it's for his own good sort of way that means it's bittersweet (if it even is tragic at all), I guess leaving it open ended for sequels, really (Their relationship I mean, the game is obviously tbc) instead of what it should have been, which was Kratos losing EVERYTHING, completely and utterly, and being left wretched and empty.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

no one in this thread is worthy of god's love

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

The ones before Fallout 3 were also really bad. Boom.

fallout tactics was pretty good. but jagged alliance 2 is better of course

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

!Klams posted:

God of War spoilers (ish) I guess? :

I thought it was super-turbo lovely of a God of War game to have the ending NOT be that, like, it sort of kind of 'hints' at the idea of it being too late toward the end, but actually the way it ends and where they are at (Atreyus totally gets over it all and soldiers on like a trooper) implies it isn't at all too late, and that the only 'tragedy' is fate. But, in a kind of, stiff upper lip, I'm more dignified than to fight it / it's for his own good sort of way that means it's bittersweet (if it even is tragic at all), I guess leaving it open ended for sequels, really (Their relationship I mean, the game is obviously tbc) instead of what it should have been, which was Kratos losing EVERYTHING, completely and utterly, and being left wretched and empty.

I'll save any real speculation until we know something about what the next game will be about, but re: fate: I think it's notable that Kratos's presence in Midgard is absolutely loving up what the Norse gods thought was their fate. Not only did Kratos and Atreus start Ragnarok centuries earlier than it was "supposed" to be, they also killed the two gods where supposed to survive Ragnarok.

That is to say, I think the door is wide open for Atreus's awful childhood and barely-holding-together moral framework to bite Kratos in the rear end, though all of that remains to be seen. I felt okay having the ending be sort of bittersweet but with a sense of dread hanging over it this time, I guess. The wall carvings of the future in Jötunheim are vague enough that we could get to where they're leading a bunch of different ways.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’ve never played jagged alliance 2. I hear it’s fun but also that it’s impossible to get into and once you look into it you need like six mods for it to work right and an unofficial patch? Is there a way to play this game and is it worth it?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poisonpill posted:

I’ve never played jagged alliance 2. I hear it’s fun but also that it’s impossible to get into and once you look into it you need like six mods for it to work right and an unofficial patch? Is there a way to play this game and is it worth it?

maybe if you are trying to install it off of some ancient dusty CD. if you get it from GoG its ready to go once you double click the installer
https://www.gog.com/game/jagged_alliance_2

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It absolutely is worth, it's amazing! The best parts of Fallout and Xcom combined - play it NOW!

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

poisonpill posted:

You don't need anything. Just check off "Tons of guns" when you start a new game.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

poisonpill posted:

Got it off Steam after I lost the original CDs, works like a charm. The best game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope Kratos kills Loki.