Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

that many people will easily die from preventable deaths stemming from brexit, the only question is "over how long of a timeline"

2 months? 10 years? who knows, but everything about brexit means vulnerable people will die from lack of stuff

Again, you're talking about a hard no-deal Brexit, which I agree is extremely bad. But I don't think what you're saying applies to every possible brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

twoday posted:

Did you watch the video?

I've some experience with rushed start ups and none of this is particularly egregious. So shrug.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Why would brexit end austerity?

It wouldn't. Every brexit that isn't brexit-in-name-only will have serious repercussions for the economy, which means reduced income from corporate tax, lots of people suddenly out of a job and on unemployment and also not paying tax.

In all likelihood we'll see much more austerity regardless of whether labour or conservatives are in charge.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MikeCrotch posted:

Again, you're talking about a hard no-deal Brexit, which I agree is extremely bad. But I don't think what you're saying applies to every possible brexit.

What realistically possible brexit deal isn't complete poo poo?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

brugroffil posted:

one where you stay in the customs union for a start.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

brugroffil posted:

Single market but no free movement and Britain keeps its rebate and gets veto powers in the council, commission and parliament and also Juncker has to apologize for being such a dick to plucky little Grate Britane on Britane national telly

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

brugroffil posted:

everything that is leaving the customs union is completely catastrophic. The DUP don't like May's deal because it keeps NI in the customs union but not the UK and they want NI to be functionally identical to the rest of the UK. Tory hard brexiters hate it because they want completely out of the customs union to negotiate a free trade agreement with the US that will get us on their standards for food, workers rights and allow the NHS to be sold off. Some of them also want it because in that event the government will likely privatise everything else available which these people want to be part of

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

brugroffil posted:

theres a fantastical version where labour:
a) successfully gets the tories to vote themselves out of power in a VONC
b) wins a general election with a majority
c) manages to convince the EU to go back to square one and renegotiate the whole thing to give britain a better deal
d) manages to do a sort of Brexit in Name Only, keeping us in all the same treaties

in this version only ~thousands would die

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hentai Jihadist posted:

c) manages to convince the EU to go back to square one and renegotiate the whole thing to give britain a better deal
d) manages to do a sort of Brexit in Name Only, keeping us in all the same treaties

Still a disaster because then you lose your representation in the EU and your rebate on the membership fees. And the inevitable attempt at rejoining in ten years would probably require a hard commitment to join the Eurozone and defense integration

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hentai Jihadist posted:

this isn't that absurd, and i think for a serious opposition it is the only policy that makes sense.

the EU have said that they would extend A50 and renegotiate with a different government.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

JFairfax posted:

the EU have said that they would extend A50 and renegotiate with a different government.

That's interesting, do you have a source?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

JFairfax posted:

this isn't that absurd, and i think for a serious opposition it is the only policy that makes sense.

none of the individual steps are absurd but each step ranges from unlikely to very unlikely and you basically need to do them all

even for labour to win a GE with a majority we basically have to rely on all the polls being wrong (totally plausible) and the british electorate not being stupid assholes (oh no)

i think its totally possible labours superior ground game and, yknow, actually offering people good stuff wins out despite the expectations of the clueless establishment but labours eventual brexit stance may well gently caress them over with at least one flavour of their voters if not both at a time we need all the votes we can get
i think thats the potential game changer. theyr in a real difficult position and Im not sure anything they can do can thread the needle. though gently caress knows its possible it turns out nobody gives a gently caress now and everyone is tired of brexit and in that case their manifesto is strong.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

That's interesting, do you have a source?

"EU officials and diplomats have told the Guardian it would instead require a fundamental shift in British politics for there to be any value for the EU in an extension of the UK’s membership. That position is echoed in Berlin and Paris, among other EU capitals."

Mujtaba Rahman, a former Treasury and European commission official, and now head of Europe for the Eurasia Group risk consultancy, said: “An extension can’t be an end in itself. It would need to come with political change in Westminster, a referendum, change of leader or general election, otherwise negotiations would risk remaining deadlocked. That’s the view of the commission, the European council, Berlin and Paris.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/22/article-50-extension-unlikely-without-shift-in-uk-politics-say-eu-officials

this was the view in july of last year so it has been known for a while.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

JFairfax posted:

"EU officials and diplomats have told the Guardian it would instead require a fundamental shift in British politics for there to be any value for the EU in an extension of the UK’s membership. That position is echoed in Berlin and Paris, among other EU capitals."

Mujtaba Rahman, a former Treasury and European commission official, and now head of Europe for the Eurasia Group risk consultancy, said: “An extension can’t be an end in itself. It would need to come with political change in Westminster, a referendum, change of leader or general election, otherwise negotiations would risk remaining deadlocked. That’s the view of the commission, the European council, Berlin and Paris.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/22/article-50-extension-unlikely-without-shift-in-uk-politics-say-eu-officials

I guess we will see shortly cause parliament is almost certainly gonna try for an extension to avoid making any decisions

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

JFairfax posted:

I'm very sceptical about that. That's old and before a deal on the transition phase was actually reached. I don't even see how a Labour government represents a fundamental shift in EU-British relation with everything that happened in the last few months. AFAIK they are not explicitly for reversing Brexit or holding a new referendum, they just want to reopen negotiations, something the EU doesn't want to.

I know it seems different from the British perspective, but there is really nothing left to negotiate about from the EU perspective. It got the deal it aimed for and the only deal it thinks is possible. Any extension of the negotiation would require unanimous agreement of all EU members and the two main points of contention, the NI situation and the freedom of movement, are not in any way up for reevaluation. Ireland is gonna block any attempt of extension over NI and all of the EU stands behind freedom of movement cause any kind of compromise on that subject would probably be the end of the EU as we know it. What is there left to negotiate about, from the EU perspective? Can a Labour government get Ireland to accept a closed NI border?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The deal is the only one possible given Theresa May's red lines. Labour's are different.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

. What is there left to negotiate about, from the EU perspective? Can a Labour government get Ireland to accept a closed NI border?

A labour government led by Jeremy "friend of the 'Ra and Irish nationalist" Corbyn wouldn't accept a closed NI border any more than Ireland does, the question doesn't make sense.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm just a jackoff yank who mostly shitposts for laffs, but I don't see how there'll be an opportunity for a political realignment before the deadline.

From an outside perspective I think the most likely outcome will look a lot like the 2008 bailout package here in the US: May's deal gets rejected with much chest thumping and talk of Blitz Spirit or whatever the gently caress and then the markets take a massive poo poo and the deal passes on a second panic vote.

No Deal is still the comedy option, but it's way, way more likely than I ever thought it would be. And that's frankly pretty frightening.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The deal is the only one possible given Theresa May's red lines. Labour's are different.

What deal do you think Labour can get? I'm genuinely curious cause I don't read British papers and haven't been following the thing very closely.

All I can say for sure is that single market membership without freedom of movement is not on the table. I can't stress that hard enough. It's Stalingrad². Without some huge rear end leverage, nobody is even going to entertain the idea. I would seriously forget about it unless you are willing to threaten to nuke the continent over it.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1084472392599113728

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/dburns84uk/status/1084424261278855168?s=19

"This doesn't explain anything," I shout as I abruptly stop reading a letter that explains everything

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm just a jackoff yank who mostly shitposts for laffs, but I don't see how there'll be an opportunity for a political realignment before the deadline.

From an outside perspective I think the most likely outcome will look a lot like the 2008 bailout package here in the US: May's deal gets rejected with much chest thumping and talk of Blitz Spirit or whatever the gently caress and then the markets take a massive poo poo and the deal passes on a second panic vote.

No Deal is still the comedy option, but it's way, way more likely than I ever thought it would be. And that's frankly pretty frightening.

Why would it pass on the second vote? If there's a panic its more likely its used to finally make her gently caress off even if it involves them threatening to murder her in a closed office somewhere. This idea that May is in a strong position with her weird hostage plan is dumb. She's dumb and holds no power.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why would it pass on the second vote? If there's a panic its more likely its used to finally make her gently caress off even if it involves them threatening to murder her in a closed office somewhere. This idea that May is in a strong position with her weird hostage plan is dumb. She's dumb and holds no power.

She’s banking the “Anyone but Corbyn” MP’s in Labour will vote with her and as bets go it’s not a bad one

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

Obviously I'm missing a lot of nuance because I'm ignorant of processes and not steeped in the culture, but all over the world politicians love cowardice and easy ways out more than anything else. For the Tories, May's plan could very well turn into the easy way out.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/dburns84uk/status/1084424261278855168?s=19

"This doesn't explain anything," I shout as I abruptly stop reading a letter that explains everything

no likes, retweets or replies

who the gently caress cares what some nobody thinks?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

I'm very sceptical about that. That's old and before a deal on the transition phase was actually reached. I don't even see how a Labour government represents a fundamental shift in EU-British relation with everything that happened in the last few months. AFAIK they are not explicitly for reversing Brexit or holding a new referendum, they just want to reopen negotiations, something the EU doesn't want to.

I know it seems different from the British perspective, but there is really nothing left to negotiate about from the EU perspective. It got the deal it aimed for and the only deal it thinks is possible. Any extension of the negotiation would require unanimous agreement of all EU members and the two main points of contention, the NI situation and the freedom of movement, are not in any way up for reevaluation. Ireland is gonna block any attempt of extension over NI and all of the EU stands behind freedom of movement cause any kind of compromise on that subject would probably be the end of the EU as we know it. What is there left to negotiate about, from the EU perspective? Can a Labour government get Ireland to accept a closed NI border?

An obvious difference is that Corbyn doesn't share May's insane red lines on free movement, which means that the obviously best option of bilateral agreement Swiss type arrangement becomes possible. The only reason the negotiations were so hosed up is because May kept demanding explicitly off the table poo poo to appease her own racism, her party's, and the DUP.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

no likes, retweets or replies

who the gently caress cares what some nobody thinks?

lol at having this criteria while posting on dead gay forums

the tweet is complete poo poo though

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/ElBartoArmy/status/1084481142995238912

did not read the link but lol

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

THERE WILL BE ADEQUATE FOOD RIOTS

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

closest thing to a source i could find for that (in five minutes of googling) doesn't say england has 60 harvests left

it says the world, lol. 'it' being direct quotes from the relevant UN officials

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/only-60-years-of-farming-left-if-soil-degradation-continues/

quote:

Generating three centimeters of top soil takes 1,000 years, and if current rates of degradation continue all of the world's top soil could be gone within 60 years, a senior UN official said on Friday.

About a third of the world's soil has already been degraded, Maria-Helena Semedo of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) told a forum marking World Soil Day.

throwing fertilizer at the problem has gotten us to 7 billion people but that's not a long term strategy

that article lists organic farming as a possible solution and no-till farming is a thing that's being tried on a tiny scale in agribusiness-heavy areas, so hopefully we can save some of the soil before its all gone. id like to learn more, though

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

An obvious difference is that Corbyn doesn't share May's insane red lines on free movement, which means that the obviously best option of bilateral agreement Swiss type arrangement becomes possible. The only reason the negotiations were so hosed up is because May kept demanding explicitly off the table poo poo to appease her own racism, her party's, and the DUP.

What's different between May's deal and a Switzerland type arrangement?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

oystertoadfish posted:

closest thing to a source i could find for that (in five minutes of googling) doesn't say england has 60 harvests left

it says the world, lol. 'it' being direct quotes from the relevant UN officials

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/only-60-years-of-farming-left-if-soil-degradation-continues/

throwing fertilizer at the problem has gotten us to 7 billion people but that's not a long term strategy

that article lists organic farming as a possible solution and no-till farming is a thing that's being tried on a tiny scale in agribusiness-heavy areas, so hopefully we can save some of the soil before its all gone. id like to learn more, though

Aren't yields from organic farming insanely lower

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

What's different between May's deal and a Switzerland type arrangement?

For starters, Switzerland agrees to the 4 freedoms, has reciprocal freedom of movement, and gets to partake in the common market, which is contingent on freedom of movement. May is a crazy racist who worked herself into a corner by demanding a deal that removes free movement.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Aren't yields from organic farming insanely lower

yeah i think that's kind of the central predicament. it seems like the proposed solutions are orders of magnitude smaller than the problems they need to solve. meanwhile i don't really see much from ag on the soil conservation issue* (aside from low-hanging fruit like the anti-erosion techniques that helped stop the dust bowl in the 30s). i guess thats how a global sustainability crisis works

*im ignorant so hopefully theres something thats more than a pr release

meanwhile, brexit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

May is a crazy racist who worked herself into a corner by demanding a deal that removes free movement.

now now now thats a little harsh where is your :decorum:?

shes a crazy fascist not necessarily a crazy racist only pretty drat likely

e: the rule has always been that you dont make home secs PMs because it turns everyone one of them into an authoritarian nutcase cause thats basically the job.

your job is to reduce immigration, keep people in prison and deport people, if any one of those things doesn't happen its a failure for your department

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Jan 13, 2019

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Isn't the entire central selling point of Brexit based on an end to free movement in the name of racism?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

For starters, Switzerland agrees to the 4 freedoms, has reciprocal freedom of movement, and gets to partake in the common market, which is contingent on freedom of movement. May is a crazy racist who worked herself into a corner by demanding a deal that removes free movement.

What part of the May deal do you think should be improved? I mean, I'm just trying to figure out what it is exactly that Britain wants from the transition deal and I'm running out of ways of how to phrase it.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Hentai Jihadist posted:

now now now thats a little harsh where is your :decorum:?

shes a crazy fascist not necessarily a crazy racist only pretty drat likely

e: the rule has always been that you dont make home secs PMs because it turns everyone one of them into an authoritarian nutcase cause thats basically the job.

your job is to reduce immigration, keep people in prison and deport people, if any one of those things doesn't happen its a failure for your department

her hatred of ethnic minorites is the one thing thats remained consistent throughout her career

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Isn't the entire central selling point of Brexit based on an end to free movement in the name of racism?

it was mostly just to stoke some anti-immigrant sentiment for elections, things were never supposed to actually get this far

but everyone involved is too stupid and/or cowardly to stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

was there ever serious discussion of using a higher threshold than a simple majority, like 2/3rds or 60% or something? if they'd gotten their slight majority but not triggered any actual consequences i could imagine it being good for them, from the 'increasing racist turnout in the next election' perspective