Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blatzmobile
Nov 1, 2012

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Loved him in the '94 Rose Bowl for the Badgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Bengals could probably do well to lean more into the run game but I don't think Bevell is the answer here :negative:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Well, I mean, in comparison to Schotty.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I was on the "Fire Bevell" train for years and boy was that one hell of a monkey's paw

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Benne posted:

My spicy hot take on Bevell, speaking as someone who wanted him gone: He's ... fine

(in fact he might even be good running an offense that's not chained to Pete Carroll's Run The Dang Ball ethos)

I was disappointed Bevell was fired. Imagine spending your entire career crippled by a Tom Cable o line. Bevell never got a fair shake.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Bowles to too good a guy. He had given Arians his word to go to Tampa but he should've just went to the Bears.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Bengals Twitter is excited about Bevell, as I soon will be because liking a football team is an exercise in Stockholm Syndrome.

But for now, I have my wits about me and I HATE IT

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

mcmagic posted:

Bowles to too good a guy. He had given Arians his word to go to Tampa but he should've just went to the Bears.

He would be a HC again in 3 years if he was running the Bears defense.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

He would be a HC again in 3 years if he was running the Bears defense.

Probably 2 or even 1.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh cool, were paying real money to a guy who said “nuke the gays.”

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

can't pass on bevell

This was great.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Benne posted:

My spicy hot take on Bevell, speaking as someone who wanted him gone: He's ... fine

(in fact he might even be good running an offense that's not chained to Pete Carroll's Run The Dang Ball ethos)

And yet, not running the dang ball is his greatest failure

schmug
May 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1083872487237128193

How is Wilks as a DC? Doesn't really scream sign this man to me.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

schmug posted:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1083872487237128193

How is Wilks as a DC? Doesn't really scream sign this man to me.

He did well in Carolina, with a cupboard that was a little more stocked than it is in Arizona.

It was assumed he was going to return to the Panthers, but I guess there's not really a role for him since Ron is calling plays and they've retained eric washington.

schmug
May 20, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

He did well in Carolina, with a cupboard that was a little more stocked than it is in Arizona.

It was assumed he was going to return to the Panthers, but I guess there's not really a role for him since Ron is calling plays and they've retained eric washington.

I did a little more research on him and it seems we definitely could do worse.

Still haven't heard anything about an OC yet other than maybe Jim Bob, though. I assume Freddie will be calling plays, but we still need an OC.

...and Todd Monken I guess.

schmug fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 12, 2019

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Getting ourselves at least 1 Packer

https://twitter.com/PatMcManamon/status/1084136792146759683

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Abugadu posted:

"And breaking with tradition, the Cincinnati Bengals have eliminated the position of Head Coach and replaced it with a large Easter Island head statue which will be placed on the sidelines and painted orange and black, with a comically large set of headphones around it. Fans are free to hurl objects at the statue when the team does poorly."

That's a solid hire.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Getting ourselves at least 1 Packer

Prepare for the rest of the division to start crying nonstop about "holding" even though they don't know the actual rules about holding

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Does anyone know who might hold the record for being a head coach or coordinator on different teams? There has to be someone who just bounced around forever and was on like ten right?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Yodzilla posted:

Does anyone know who might hold the record for being a head coach or coordinator on different teams? There has to be someone who just bounced around forever and was on like ten right?

Wade Phillips has got to be pretty close. He's got nine professional teams by my count, including some of them multiple times(including coaching for both the Oilers AND Texans).

Edit whoops, Norv Turner has ten actually.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/ckparrot/status/1084216612209786881

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Wade Phillips has got to be pretty close. He's got nine professional teams by my count, including some of them multiple times(including coaching for both the Oilers AND Texans).

I remember looking up some new CFL coach who was mostly an O-line coach and he'd had like 20 stops between college and the NFL. I'd assume there's a bunch of guys like that that noone can really even name.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Nick Saban has lost his loving mind

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1084269965212037121

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It’s like watching Nickelback get back together

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Catfish Noodlin posted:

That’s bonkers especially considering with his age he could have another 10-15 years of coaching left easily. Dude is going to add another five teams before he’s done.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Marc Trestman:

Miami (1981–1983)
Volunteer assistant coach

Miami (1983–1984)
Quarterbacks coach

Minnesota Vikings (1985–1986)
Running backs coach

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1987)
Quarterbacks coach

Cleveland Browns (1988–1989)
Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach

Minnesota Vikings (1990–1991)
Quarterbacks coach

San Francisco 49ers (1995–1996)

Detroit Lions (1997)
Quarterbacks coach

Arizona Cardinals (1998–2000)

Oakland Raiders (2001–2003)

Miami Dolphins (2004)
Assistant head coach

NC State (2005–2006)
Offensive coordinator

Montreal Alouettes (2008–2012)
Head coach

Chicago Bears (2013–2014)
Head coach

Baltimore Ravens (2015–2016)
Offensive coordinator

Toronto Argonauts (2017–2018)
Head coach

schmug
May 20, 2007

Timby posted:

Marc Trestman:

Miami (1981–1983)
Volunteer assistant coach

Miami (1983–1984)
Quarterbacks coach

Minnesota Vikings (1985–1986)
Running backs coach

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1987)
Quarterbacks coach

Cleveland Browns (1988–1989)

Minnesota Vikings (1990–1991)
Quarterbacks coach

San Francisco 49ers (1995–1996)

Detroit Lions (1997)
Quarterbacks coach

Arizona Cardinals (1998–2000)

Oakland Raiders (2001–2003)

Miami Dolphins (2004)
Assistant head coach

NC State (2005–2006)
Offensive coordinator

Montreal Alouettes (2008–2012)
Head coach

Chicago Bears (2013–2014)
Head coach

Baltimore Ravens (2015–2016)
Offensive coordinator

Toronto Argonauts (2017–2018)
Head coach

it's almost as if there is a pattern there but I can't quite figure it out
*says every GM in the NFL and CFL*

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Did the Dolphins have ok LB/DL play the past few years? Genuine question, I know nothing about these guys or their reputations

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Professor Funk posted:

Did the Dolphins have ok LB/DL play the past few years? Genuine question, I know nothing about these guys or their reputations

Our front seven were awful. The LB’s were one of the worst units on the team. the DL underachieved in previous years with Suh and Wake and were downright terrible this year.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol if true

https://twitter.com/katvkyle/status/1084299096528224256?s=21

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

can uh, butch jones call the plays

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Ehud posted:

Our front seven were awful. The LB’s were one of the worst units on the team. the DL underachieved in previous years with Suh and Wake and were downright terrible this year.

Oh ok, well shoot me in the head in that case

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was curious and looked up Dowell Loggains wikipedia, and it's so obviously written by someone at the agency that represents him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowell_Loggains

14 References for barely 3 paragraphs. It's amazing.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Professor Funk posted:

The Dolphins front had a lot of problems, but I don't know that I blame the positional coaches for it as much as I do personnel decisions and the overall scheme.

Kiko Alonso looked like he had no idea what he was supposed to do and was just running around a lot of the time, but the two first-year linebackers were pretty good by mid-season. The defensive line was a mess, but again the personnel decisions were baffling- they basically signed a bunch of misfits the scheme would presumably let them get away with, rather than the kind of guys who would really make it work.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1084450234783141888

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

What the gently caress is happening in the AFC East this month lol

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Just AFCEast things.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
He can't get enough of those linebackers that spent time at Rutgers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MD2020 posted:

He can't get enough of those linebackers that spent time at Rutgers.

DB's. Not linebackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

brian flores is a mediocre hire and the dolphins should know better by now

but they never will, this team is a fuckin disaster from top to bottom