Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've had the same thing happen to me for Netflix Original releases, I had to actively search to find Castlevania S2 when it dropped and then a few days later it was proudly advertising it to me.

e: ditto The Night Comes for Us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nopants
May 29, 2004
i’m on episode 5 or 6 of season 2 of future man. i didn’t know until now that i want to watch a clever show about prehistoric people just making it work

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I understand Hulu is terrible with ads, but I'd appreciate not seeing an ad for Future Man every commercial break when I'm watching Future Man. This is why people pirate.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No ads Hulu is the poo poo though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

veni veni veni posted:

No ads Hulu is the poo poo though.

Still a drat ad for Future Man before every episode of Future Man.

Future Man season 2 is really really good by the way.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So I've started with that new Netflix comic thing Titans and so far it's... actually not half bad? I'm just a few episodes in, but so far I'd probably put in on par with the better Marvel shows. Probably helps that I've never read the comic nor seen the other shows.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Medullah posted:

I understand Hulu is terrible with ads, but I'd appreciate not seeing an ad for Future Man every commercial break when I'm watching Future Man. This is why people pirate.

How about the same ad for a MEAN CHEVY TRUCK played 30 times instead?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fallom posted:

How about the same ad for a MEAN CHEVY TRUCK played 30 times instead?

Lately it's been Surface Pro and the NFL cupcake shop. Hulu knows me so well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm 10 minutes into the last episode of Future Man s2 and this is going to end up being a game show, isn't it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh gently caress yeah! I cannot wait for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdAR-lK43YU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

edit: Note that Netflix has no problem telling everyone to watch Stranger Things and Bird Box and their other original content when it launches. Bandersnatch was front and center on my TV the day it was released. You wouldn't see this contrast with Disney content if it was a server issue.

As much as it gets poo poo on Solo is still a movie that made over $200 million domestically and was 10th in the box office for the year. Whereas with something like Annihilation, where Netflix was able to pick up the international distribution, the domestic box office was about $30 million. I would say there being around 10x more demand for whatever generic Disney movie over even the top tier of Netflix's original content is probably a good rule of thumb.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Medullah posted:

I'm 10 minutes into the last episode of Future Man s2 and this is going to end up being a game show, isn't it

I loved S1. But the first few episodes of S2 didn't really do it for me but I'm sitting at #5 or #6 and it is starting to be more enjoyable for me.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i watched Sunshine last night and I liked it a lot but the turn into a weird slasher movie in the final act kinda soured me on it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thom and the Heads posted:

i watched Sunshine last night and I liked it a lot but the turn into a weird slasher movie in the final act kinda soured me on it

This is the most common complaint about Sunshine, but I personally really liked it and thought it worked.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Locke on Netflix is a fantastic bottle drama. It's been on My List for ages but took a while for me to get to it because "Tom Hardy drives around making and taking phone calls for 90 minutes" was a hard sell, but I'm so glad I did.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
where is sunshine streaming?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Right outside your window.

*4.5 earthquake ensues from dads the world over laughing like hyenas*

mystes
May 31, 2006

minato posted:

Locke on Netflix is a fantastic bottle drama. It's been on My List for ages but took a while for me to get to it because "Tom Hardy drives around making and taking phone calls for 90 minutes" was a hard sell, but I'm so glad I did.
What is a "bottle drama"?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Looked it up, made as cheaply as possible" it seems.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

old.flv posted:

It’s not. Sunshine just became a byproduct of the annihilation discussion.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

mystes posted:

What is a "bottle drama"?

Super small scale movies often taking place in a single location

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

old.flv posted:

I rented it off of Amazon video.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Perestroika posted:

So I've started with that new Netflix comic thing Titans and so far it's... actually not half bad? I'm just a few episodes in, but so far I'd probably put in on par with the better Marvel shows. Probably helps that I've never read the comic nor seen the other shows.

The 4th episode features the Doom Patrol which will be getting their own series and it looks even wilder. Probably will be on Netflix internationally too after it's done on DC Universe.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

haven't seen it mentioned here yet but the Scottish thriller Calibre is pretty gripping and breaks away from some of the conventions you'd expect from a hunting film about class tensions.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

veni veni veni posted:

It’s not. Sunshine just became a byproduct of the annihilation discussion.

Awful

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Reading the last page and finding out Sunshine isn't streaming was rough man. It was rough. I don't know how the night recovers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I rebought Sunshine on Blu Ray cause of this discussion. It was $4.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
One time I saw the DVD at Dollar Tree and didn't but it. I don't really have an excuse for why I didn't.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So that Velvet Buzzsaw trailer didn’t do anything for you guys?

I think it looks awesome and I loved Nightcrawler. Thought it would have more goon hype going.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

veni veni veni posted:

So that Velvet Buzzsaw trailer didn’t do anything for you guys?

I think it looks awesome and I loved Nightcrawler. Thought it would have more goon hype going.

Well, it got hype in the TVIV chat thread.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

As an art nerd who loved nightcrawler and loving loves horror movies as well, my response to that trailer was basically "this is my hole, it was made for me."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm here for Gilroy, but the trailer just wasn't particularly funny or particularly scary.

Just made me kinda wanna watch The Square again

edit:

unrelated - Bandersnatch is a game where the objective is to create the best possible version of a mediocre made-for-TV horror movie. It is "those who can't do shouldn't criticize" incarnate, it is so mean-spirited, but still manages to low-key rule because of that.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 13, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

old.flv posted:

It’s on cinemax, you can do a 7 day trial for free on amazon prime

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ultimately I think the problem with Bandersnatch is I’d be more interested in the real travails of British microcomputer game devs than some “ooh, who’s really in control maaaaan” weirdness (which basically comes off as Videodrome without the meat.)

That said there is one story branch that’s pretty entertaining. I feel Black Mirror as a whole would be better served as absurdism than Very Serious Drama.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I rebought Sunshine on Blu Ray cause of this discussion. It was $4.

I have a case of 300 DVDs and blu rays but lol I'm too much of a lazy gently caress to use physical media

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

just watched Sunshine. i really enjoyed it. i accidentally set the heater too high and i think that made the movie even better.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The other Sunshine, the 1999 Sunshine, is streaming on Starz if I remember correctly.

It's about a Hungarian Jewish family and what they go through between the 1880's and the 1950's. As a little gimmick, Ralph Fiennes plays three generations of male protagonists. It is my favorite movie. I do like the 2007 Sunshine, also!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I don't recall seeing anyone talking about this, but Alfonso Cuaron's latest Roma is wonderful. It's a very specific look at a very specific type of people during a very specific time in Mexican history, and never goes where you think it will. I spent like an hour afterwards reading about the major historical event depicted in the movie, and also shocked to learn that Cuaron says that the movie is basically 90% based on his own life, right down to filming in the house across the street from where he grew up, and 70% of the furniture in the movie being his family's.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Roma thread, if you want to read/post more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Started watching Sex Education on Netflix and I really like it. Binged through about 5 episodes before I realized it.