Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Some Guy TT posted:

I vaguely remember there being a week where its revealed that not-Quagmire still lives with his mom and was all smug about it with Skip. Although a playdate still begs the question of why no parents punished him for burying Skip's toy. Does anyone remember not-Quagmire's actual name?
It's Mike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: A drive-by like no other, or Rasputin channels the spirit of Yakov Yurovsky, or Corto gets in a particular mood with Rasputin. Can you guess which mood? Three guesses and the first two don't count.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 21, 2019

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The incident in Demmin gets mentioned again in few days and apparently 70 Finns held against overpowering enemy. I couldn't find anything else from the other sources (btw. I'm not a historian and not very well-versed to Finnish history under Sweden so a lot of these footnotes are a result of quick googling and recalling stuff we had in elementary school).

I guess this is a good time to note that the book is framed as the narrator recalling the stories he heard from an old military surgeon as a child (hence the title). The surgeon himself was born in the late 18th century so the tales are a retelling of a retelling of a retelling. Additionally the prologue hints that the surgeon might be quite unreliable narrator even when talking about his own life, so take these stories as a heroic epic rather than a historically accurate reports.

Nancy

Dustin

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 13, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How nice Batiuk can trace over images of Dark Phoenix.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Used batteries aren't junk, they're trash and toxic trash at that but they end up in junk drawers because you're supposed to throw them away in a special way and it's hard to work up the effort to do it. Or at least that's why I have a segregated dead battery section.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Oh hey it's me when I'm looking for a new place.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I was going to make this if no one else had, so thanks for saving me the effort

Also: lmbo

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 20-21, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 20-21, 1997)

Garfield Classic (June 20-21, 1987)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I’m kicking myself that I never realized Arlo and Janis was a great strip. I guess I’ve reached the age where it’s completely relatable.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 20-21, 1997)

This might have been brought up previously and I just missed it, but isn't this the girl he ends up marrying and opening a cafe at the beach with?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Samovar posted:

In today's Corto Maltese: A drive-by like no other, or Rasputin channels the spirit of Yakov Yurovsky, or Corto gets in a particular mood with Rasputin. Can you guess which mood? Three guess and the first two don't count.

The fourth page has taken the place of the third, I think. Other than that, I want to thank you for posting Corto. I have some stories but I hadn't read that one, so good!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Alterian posted:

This might have been brought up previously and I just missed it, but isn't this the girl he ends up marrying and opening a cafe at the beach with?

Yep!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alterian posted:

The months (of strips) leading up to their wedding, and his interaction with her daughter, are really sweet and well-done.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Actual Funny Pros and Cons

Retail

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's seems to have decided to just skip yesterday.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fok_It

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Samovar posted:

In today's Corto Maltese: A drive-by like no other, or Rasputin channels the spirit of Yakov Yurovsky, or Corto gets in a particular mood with Rasputin. Can you guess which mood? Three guess and the first two don't count.

Just a heads-up, you seem to have a duplicate in here and possibly a skipped page.
Well done.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Sam's Strip

Ye Olde Foxtrot 04/19/88

Tarzan:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Some Guy TT posted:

I vaguely remember there being a week where its revealed that not-Quagmire still lives with his mom and was all smug about it with Skip. Although a playdate still begs the question of why no parents punished him for burying Skip's toy. Does anyone remember not-Quagmire's actual name?
He did live with his mom, and then he moved into the apartment next door to Skip.

Samovar posted:

It looks like you double posted the 4th page, missing the 3rd.

Also I'll take this chance to thank you for posting this comic too. I like it a lot.
:lol:

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The strongest marriages are the ones where one spouse is afraid to be honest about their feelings.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I'm usually good for the middle of the flight too, except when I periodically remember that there is little between me and 30,000 feet of nothingness. Also, if there's turbulence.

That said, I wonder if this story is going to be all about one of those in-flight meltdowns that happen. If this guy starts ranting about foreigners and Trump, I don't know what I'll do.

Andertoons

Flash Gordon November 1961

It's HABIB!, as promised.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 13, 2019

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nice touch to have the area inside the moon blacked out.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Nice touch to have the area inside the moon blacked out.

Once you have this pointed out, you start to notice how many kids books get it wrong and it will drive you crazy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is on a seafood diet.

Working Daze kills person, joke.

(Seriously, you don't need any of the word balloons in the last panel for the joke to work.)

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is just what they want you to think!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Crimestoppers textbook: Don't talk to the police without a lawyer present. ACAB.

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Y'all keep doing such amazing things with that Jeffy drawing. I'm surprised it hasn't become a Photoshop thread in GBS yet -- it could become the next banker.bmp thread SOOOO easy.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

So there's no puzzle for the readers to solve? Wasn't that supposedly the whole point of these "Minit Mystery" things? What even was this?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I think the point of this one was them showing off that they totally know Donnie Pitchford, who they just spent an entire story arc doing in-joke stuff about.

The Gocomics commenters are complaining about it too, which is a sign is actually is that bad. Aside from the one weirdo who keeps popping up to make bad Dick Tracy poems.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

St. Isidore of Seville, patron saint of the Internet, computer users, computer workers, etc. since 1997. Please try to keep up with Papal declarations, Ms. Tinkerson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isidore_of_Seville

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Apparently a Minit Mystery is now one where they just tell the story much too fast?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rand Brittain posted:

Apparently a Minit Mystery is now one where they just tell the story much too fast?

How is that any different from what they normally do?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

what the gently caress was even the point

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

Is that... I feel like that's not how the Spider Tracer works.

I'm glad they took two panels to explain the concept of a junk drawer. It's probably a really obscure thing most readers wouldn't be familiar with.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tiggum posted:

So there's no puzzle for the readers to solve? Wasn't that supposedly the whole point of these "Minit Mystery" things? What even was this?
Yeah I feel ripped off. And it's not like the previous ones were any good.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Man, Arlo and Janis is really loving good and I can't believe it took this long to discover this.

Edit: By which I mean it's been around for so long and even when I got papers that ran it, I think I skipped it when I was a kid.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

https://twitter.com/marginoferror/status/935937659888836609

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

The strongest marriages are the ones where one spouse is afraid to be honest about their feelings.

Christ, this story is tedious. The only reason Toby has a worry at all is because her husband TOLD her about the student. Telling your spouse that someone seems to have a crush on you is — generally — not the first step towards starting an affair. Normally, attraction blossoms in secret. If this had been competently plotted, Toby would have begun to suspect the student's affection not by being told but by noticing something.

Worse, over the ~two weeks of depicting the conversation between Toby and Mary, not once is the question of Ian's dependability brought up. No questions about whether she trusts Ian to do the right thing, no questions about whether Ian has the loving sense to avoid Title IX violations at his place of employment.

I'm not up on Mary Worth lore, so I don't know how Ian and Toby got together. I note that she's much younger than him so it could be that she's worried that whatever happened between her and him will happen between him and someone else. Did she start up an affair with him? That would give the story a little more grounding, though if that's the case maybe somewhere in the 14 or so strips leading to this moment she could have mentioned that worry explicitly.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

Everett True has killed so many people.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

doingitwrong posted:

I'm not up on Mary Worth lore, so I don't know how Ian and Toby got together. I note that she's much younger than him so it could be that she's worried that whatever happened between her and him will happen between him and someone else. Did she start up an affair with him? That would give the story a little more grounding, though if that's the case maybe somewhere in the 14 or so strips leading to this moment she could have mentioned that worry explicitly.

Mary's investigations reveal that Ian has been going from affair to affair for centuries. He sustains himself by slowly draining each woman's life force for years until she eventually becomes erratic and paranoid about their relationship, at which point it's time to cast that one off and attract a new, younger woman.

Fortunately, when Mary was young she was briefly an apprentice to a kindly old shaman. But will her decades-old occult skills be enough to destroy the monster? What of Janine, the next victim in line? And what price must Toby pay for freedom?

Prepare yourself for the thrilling conclusion to this storyline in the hit action comic Mary Worth!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Here Rests In
Mangled Glory
An American Pest
Known But To God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

This has been bugging me since I saw this in the paper this morning. Any other creator and I would assume the symbols are random, but I know Bill Amend would have a valid substitution. So, it's 25 into 650 equals 26. Round cell is 0, splat is 1, oval blob is 2, rectangle is 5, and the one with cilia is 6.

I also had a few teachers in high school that would have given credit for this.