Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's the 2019 internet thread for sequential images stamped into mashed trees.

For those who came in late, this thread is for sharing and enjoying newspaper (and newspaper-adjacent) comics ranging from the sublime to the damned; from Andertoons to Ziggy. If you have some interesting comics to post they are more than welcome, good or bad they all go onto this hoarder's trove we're committed to building each and every year. There are a few exceptions, but the general rule is that the product must have been published in a newspaper or periodical at some point; it's done by an artist whose work was, or it's hosted by Comics Kingdom or GoComics as that counts as syndication now that the printed word is gone forever.

Last year we had an amazing time - a handsy boomer lost his comic to a hungry millennial, the extended saga of weirdly obsessed Luann fans culminated in widespread deletion of their comments with only the ominous "Please refrain from erotic speculation about our characters" as a tombstone, we saw the return of the vigilante everyman Ed Kudlick Everett True, The Phantom managed to finish over two whole storylines, and Intelligent Life stopped being published as often!

Look upon these comics ye might and despair
  1. For Better or for Worse, here we go again
  2. For Better or For Worse II, The Sun May Get in 56kers' Eyes
  3. For Better or For Worse III: Who need this?!?
  4. For Better or For Worse Megathread
  5. The Comic Strip Megathread: Luann's Funky For Better Minimum Security
  6. The Comic Strip Megathread V - Just Another Uneventful Lesbian Road Trip
  7. The Comic Strip Megathread V, Part 3 - Dick and Jane Go to the Goddamn Bank
  8. Comic Strip Megathread V, Part 4: Thalidomide Theater: Day of the Jackelrod
  9. Comic Strip Megathread Part Ten: Infections and Gams... FOR ME! BARB ELS!
  10. Comic Strip Megathread Part 11: drat that's a fine elephant.
  11. Comic Strip Megathread Part XII: Reply All is the best comic in this thread
  12. Comic Strip Megathread XIII: Still can't get over it!
  13. Comic Strip Megathread XIV: Happy After Death 2013!
  14. Comic Strip Megathread XV: So smile, Margo, and move on.
  15. Comic Strip Megathread XVI: Winking Throwbacks to Retro Sexism
  16. Comic Strip Megathread XVII: I have a special recipe (cackle-cackle)
  17. Comic Strip Megathread XVIII: Please refrain from erotic speculation about our characters

Where to discover comics
King Features Syndicate's Comic's Kingdom
Universal Uclick's GoComics - thanks Elysiume for this guide on how to hack their gibson
The Houston Chronicle
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Darkgate Comic Slurper

How to mess with comics
Paint .NET (Windows)
Seashore (OSX)
Pixelr (web)
GIMP

How to write like comics
Blambot comic fonts
FBofW by KentuckyFriedBonBon
Jane's World by Haikeeba!
Luannfont by Haikeeba!
Minimum Security by Haikeeba!
Pearls by Haikeeba!
Gamgasm by Haikeeba!

Alternative Google Drive downloads

(By Forktoss)

As is the tradition, our hard-working enthusiasts will kick us off by posting either their favourite edits of last year, or by introducing their comics as if for the first time because that's the whole reason to roll back those page numbers - the onboarding of new readers into an archaic and obsolete medium that happens to have newspaper comics posted to it.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Let's relive the greatest comic story of 2018!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kennel posted:

you're a monster

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You bastard, doing a thing like that on the first page.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Kennel posted:

Never before has this thread tag been so appropriate.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Vietnam Vet

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Do we need a new writeup for the new thread? I can do a writeup of things, but also lazy.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
WELCOME BACK!

(Borden)

Kennel posted:

You keep Threadmas in your way and let me keep it in mine...

(Angular Cyrus)

And now...the gently caress-Eulogy for the Gilchrist era. (Music please...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31pCY1uDRzY

Pastry of the Year posted:

nancy
B6
bulp biLИλRISP

it is at this solemn occasion I would like to address one and all and state for the record that as much as I loathed his work on Nancy...

...I especially loathed how he would find a way to work his name/signature into a strip at least twice and sometimes even three times

it remains an absolute marvel of our dying culture that anyone (specifically, editors and/or whoever actually is responsible for curating the Nancy intellectual property, such as it is) saw his work as a source of pleasure and not as the long single flatulent piece of self-promotion it was

Howard Beale posted:

RIP Nancy

Go into the light, Guy. It's warm there. Your favorite musicians are there. It's the 60s again there, Guy, and not the bad 60s where bigots turned firehoses on children and LBJ bombed Cambodia, but the innocent, sun-drenched, music-filled 60s you knew as a kid. And Ernie Bushmiller is there, with a roll of quarters in one fist and a sock full of soap in the other.

Go now. God bless.

manero posted:

Our long national nightmare is over, cya l8r Gilchrist.

And as the final double bird, his successor is getting more press for her version of the character than he ever did. The moral of the story: Sluggo is lit.

Anyway, COMICS!

Sally Forth (Francesco Marciuliano and Jim Keefe): 2018 was a rebuilding year for the Forth family, because 1) Ted was getting used to life without his dad, and 2) Hillary and her friends built a massive set for their werewolf rock opera. It's the type of strip where life happens in both directions, sometimes simultaneously. Ces has also been aware of us for a long time, which has nothing to do with me saying this has been one of the best strips in the thread for years. And if you didn't follow his Angry Santa Elf on Twitter this year, you just don't want good things in your life, I guess.

Jerry Robinson: "Nothing like Skippy [(Percy Crosby)] had ever been seen before in the comic strips. It was not just Skippy’s expert draftsmanship or remarkable flair, although that artistry earned its creator a reputation as ‘the cartoonist’s cartoonist’… The brilliance of Skippy was that here was fantasy with a realistic base, the first kid cartoon with a definable and complex personality grounded in daily life." Which is why what happened later on will make you want to eat Peter Pan or Jif for the rest of your life. (August 19, 1931)

It sits very snugly atop Peanuts (Charles Schulz), an inescapable fixture of mid-to-late 20th century pop culture and one of my treasured childhood memories. (January 2, 1972 and December 31, 1971)

Funky Winkerbean (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk) used to be the story about goofy high school students with punny names and their school. We've watched the goofy kids grown into sullen middle age, starting families that we never actually see more than once every few years. The high school is still there, but TomBat usually forgets to do anything with it until after the midterm break. He introduces a handful of teenagers to follow for a few months, then tosses most of them aside forever to focus on what we really want to hear about : Funky's dad screwing his way through the retirement home.

No, seriously. That's where we left off in the last thread.

Crankshaft (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk and Dab "Your Sins Here Follow You Everywhere" Davis) is the story of a grumpy malaprop-spouting school bus driver. We don't usually see any school kids in that one either. I'm sensing a pattern here.

Rip Haywire (Dan Thompson) is a square-jawed man of action with a loving family, all of whom were laying low for the holidays, but that seems to have lasted for all of two or three days.

Out Our Way (J.R. Williams)! Cowboys! Machine shop workers! Americana! BOYZENDORGS! (And occasional stereotype humor...)

I still claim to be posting this one, but if something in my schedule goes horribly pear-shaped, this is the strip that I'm most likely to leave out of a daily post. Y'know, because I suck, since OOW is still running on all cylinders at the point we're up to now. (Which is October 5-6, 1931.)

Thimble Theater starring Popeye (Elzie Segar) is the tale of a mutant sailor and his many hangers-on. (July 8-10, 1935)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 1, 2019

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Thanks Ghostlight for the new thread. I look forward to getting back to some erotic speculation about comic strip characters!

And also thanks, Kennel! We must never forget!

So here are the comics I usually post with brief synopses:

F Minus is a gag-a-day comic that I think is usually pretty funny and good.

Macanudo is only about 4 months old as far as being in English, but has been popular for years internationally (it is from Argentina originally. I want to like it but it is mostly cloying by trying to be whimsical and there have been maybe 5 comics I would say I liked. However, the art is great.

Mark Trail is a long-running nature/adventure strip. Current storyline is Mark is in Mexico with Cherry (wife) and Rusty (son) visiting an archaeologist friend Dr Carter (hurr) and Rusty has hooked up with another girl and they are following some artifact smugglers.

Mary Worth is a long-running soap strip about an old woman who meddles in the affairs of her neighbors. Current storyline involves a student having a crush on Professor Ian while his much-younger wife takes him for granted.

"Now can you help me up?"

The Phantom is a long-running adventure strip about the Phantom, who is part of a family line that over hundreds of years have pretended to be an immortal ghost to fight pirates and other bad people. He's in Africa. A tribe is in on it. Weekday story is different from weekend. We're kind of wrapping up a story where his daughter, Heloise, the true next Phantom, caught the big international terrorist the Nomad. She's on the run from the law now with her roommate and future partner in crimefighting and in love (I am not giving up on this), the Nomad's daughter, Kadia.

Pooch Cafe is a funny strip about a dog and his family. There's really nothing more to this but I really think it's funny and good. Sometimes it's a gag-a-day, sometimes there are storylines that last days and weeks. I do like that the creator doesn't seem to stick to a gag just because he has to fill a week like a lot of comics do. If he can only get 3 days of jokes, he moves on.

Rex Morgan MD is another long-running soap strip about a doctor and his family, friends, and patients. He has a wife, June, a you daughter Sarah (5-6-ish), a toddler son Michael, and an adopted toddler Johnny. Right now some drunk homeless veteran guy that one of the characters, Jared, knew got a new kidney and Jared is trying to help him get back on the right track while opening a restaurant and dealing with his own war trauma.

Andertoons is a gag-a-day one-panel that is frequently good for a chuckle. I really like it. He gets a surprising amount of traction from charts in office presentations.

Apartment 3-G is a long-running soap strip and I started posting the classic ones when they ceased making new ones. Right now a new friend of the A3G girls is a really nice guy who became a collection agent and is really bad at it because he tries to help people but got pushed down the stairs and severely injured by some douchebag anyways.

Edit: Holy crap I forgot to post it.

"It was a shark!"

I also post classic Flash Gordon Sundays on Sunday.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 31, 2018

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
posted this must-have content in the wrong thread by accident, whoops

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Already posted in the old thread, posting again here with synposes:

The Amazing Spider-man is batshit insane in all the best ways. Exhibit A: Spiderman once defeated a werewolf by projecting the sun inside a planetarium at night, which confused the lycanthropy enough that it just killed the dude instead. Exhibit B: He's had his powers centrifuged out of him by Magneto(and centrifuged back in by reversing the energy flow).

I post both old strips(started in 1999, now up to 2011, posted a week at a time so we get through them at a reasonable pace) and current strips. Current story arc is Killgrave using his mind control powers for vague evil purposes; he's currently spending several days gloating about how Spiderman is a better mind control target than Luke Cage. 2011 story arc involves Spidey being framed for a robbery by the Big Boss, Serra Carson both stealing Peter's job and publically believing that Spidey is innocent, and MJ getting jealous over it. There's a dedicated NSM thread here, although it's likely to be remade for the new year.

2011 Spiderman

The Amazing Jump

Dick Tracy is a long-running crime serial strip. It's currently starting a Minit Mystery, a week long arc where the mystery in question makes even less sense than usual.

Origins of the Sunday Comics is a variety of old Sunday comics of wildly varying quality and readability. My favorites are the ones predicting the future based on new-fangled technology like telegraphs and the automobile, which tend to be surprisingly accurate even when the artists thought they were making up wild jokes.

The Spirit of the Staircase only updates once every other week. It's about a bunch of weirdos doing mundane things, more or less.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

For the front page of the new thread, I present the best Fingerpori ever.

Someone else's translation of the pun:
"How expensive!"
Milk 0.90€
Milk from kyyttö cow / viperless milk 4.90€

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth (Francesco Marciuliano and Jim Keefe): 2018 was a rebuilding year for the Forth family, because 1) Ted was getting used to life without his dad, and 2) Hillary and her friends built a massive set for their werewolf rock opera. It's the type of strip where life happens in both directions, sometimes simultaneously. Ces has also been aware of us for a long time, which has nothing to do with me saying this has been one of the best strips in the thread for years. And if you didn't follow his Angry Santa Elf on Twitter this year, you just don't want good things in your life, I guess.

He also did this 100% accurate cartoon

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy is a long-running crime serial strip. It's currently starting a Minit Mystery, a week long arc where the mystery in question makes even less sense than usual.
You forgot that the premise is that the readers can try and solve it before the solution is revealed.

And the last time they did one the solution involved stuff we weren't explicitly told, about the order coats were put on a coat rack where the culprit's coat or leack therof had not been mentioned at all

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns is a single-panel gag comic about a married couple who absolutely hate each other and won't get a divorce, even though that would be the best thing for them and everyone around them. It's actually a pretty good comic though.

Brewster Rockit Space Guy features idiots in space doing dumb things while its author thinks he is far more clever than he actually is. Occasionally has a few good moments but has also been called "the secret worst comic in the thread" by other posters.

On The Fastrack is the first of the Bill Holbrook trilogy of strips and it's often shockingly bad. It's about a goth woman named Dethany who works in an office and is very good with computers. She will actually go into the internet (where her avatar is a unicorn) and she drinks in a bar with Auto-Correct. Usually the strip is just bad visual metaphors that don't work after taking a moment to think about it. It crosses over with Intelligent Life and is clearly the better of the two strips, whatever that means in the long run, and at least it ain't Dilbert.

Safe Havens is the second of the Holbrook trilogy. Originally about the Safe Havens Daycare, it's now about people who perform genetic magic and are currently on Mars with smart-rear end dodo birds and a kid who always hangs upside down on a trapeze bar while the leader of the mission wastes time programming Martian robots to dance. It's worse than it sounds. Dethany shows up regulalry too.

Kevin & Kell is the final Holbrook strip. It's the worst one, featuring a hellworld where anthropomorphic animals live in constant worry over the differences with herbivores and carnivores. Carnivores can eat herbivores, as long as they don't personally know said animal, allowing legal murder of strangers. There is even meat factories and it's horrifying. Kell is a wolf that runs the "ethical" meat factory who is married to Kevin, a large and strong rabbit that other carnivores want to eat. The more you read it, the worse it gets. Probably the most hated comic in the thread and it'll be posted until the end of time.

Mother Goose & Grimm is a gag-a-day strip about an older Goose and her pet dog Grimmy. I think it can be pretty clever from time to time and I do like the art.

Hagar The Horrible is a long-running gag strip ostensibly taking place in viking times but will often ignore that aspect for the sake of the joke. Hagar is the leader of his raiders and he is good friends with Lucky Eddie, a skinny viking who is a bit of a wreck. Hagar is married to Helga, who he seems to take for granted but in the end they seem to work together. They have two kids who occasionally show up. Rarely amazing but reliably there for a good chuckle.

Sherman's Lagoon has a Shark named Sherman who deals with his friends, a greedy crab who will screw you over for a buck or power, and a turtle who is more down to earth. It can be pretty good! It's rarely offensively bad unlike a lot of other strips at least.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Already posted in the old thread, posting again here with synposes:

The Amazing Spider-man is batshit insane in all the best ways. Exhibit A: Spiderman once defeated a werewolf by projecting the sun inside a planetarium at night, which confused the lycanthropy enough that it just killed the dude instead. Exhibit B: He's had his powers centrifuged out of him by Magneto(and centrifuged back in by reversing the energy flow).

I post both old strips(started in 1999, now up to 2011, posted a week at a time so we get through them at a reasonable pace) and current strips. Current story arc is Killgrave using his mind control powers for vague evil purposes; he's currently spending several days gloating about how Spiderman is a better mind control target than Luke Cage. 2011 story arc involves Spidey being framed for a robbery by the Big Boss, Serra Carson both stealing Peter's job and publically believing that Spidey is innocent, and MJ getting jealous over it. There's a dedicated NSM thread here, although it's likely to be remade for the new year.

The general impression when reading Newspaper Spider-man is as follow:

One Day: It's spider-man?
One Week: Huh, things aren't moving very quickly. When is Spider-man going to do something?
One Month: Wow, Peter just spent the whole month getting dunked on. Does the author even know who spider-man is?
One Year: This author understand spider-man at a deeper level than I ever will.

New readers might wonder about that Stan Lee credit on Newspaper Spider-Man.

The strip started in 1977 being fully written by Stan Lee, and in the 90s started being co-written with Marvel veteran Roy Thomas (scuttlebutt has it that he did most of the plotting and Stan Leed did most of the dialog). Stan Lee was still actively cowriting the strip until a couple years ago, after which it shifted over to being written entirely by Thomas, though Lee remained interested in NSM to the end. Similarly, Larry Lieber was doing the weekday art for the strip until September 2018's strip, when it shifted over entirely to Alex Saviuk (who had previously been doing weekends).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Andy Capp is about the titular bloke who drinks, gambles, never works and beats his wife. It's sometimes funny? I like it. I'm not posting the best years yet, because I'm doing this from the beginning. Modern Andy Capp meanwhile is a zombie strip, but I like it too so :shrug:

November 20th, 1957

"Yer might wait until they've taken their coats off!"

Heathcliff used to be dollar store Garfield. Now it is surreal almost-nonsense that elevates it above and beyond. I thought about posting old Heathcliff, but no one wants dollar store Garfield.

Ballard Street is a single-panel strip about the antics of a bunch of seniors on the titular street. Contains the best dogs in the thread. I post old comics from 2002, and the new ones.

October 7, 2002

Outbursts of Everett True is about a man who cares about manners a LOT. ... Okay: it ran from 1905 to 1927, created by AD Condo. It follows this formula: panel 1: a random person commits a faux pas or a crime. Panel 2: Everett True destroys them. It's good!

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Sad Bear is a small, sad bear. Sometimes he's a little less sad.

Sometimes.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

1-----4
2-----5
3-----6
--------
7----10
8----11
9----12

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

That's right, back by popular demand, from viewers like you! Not literally viewers like you. What I mean is, Dharma comics have been popular on South Korean internet message boards over the last few years. It took me awhile to find a digital source for the new one because most search engine results assume you want the old ones. Sports Dongah probably considers a feature, not a bug, since it incentivizes people to buy their newspaper. Hence why they gave Park Seong-hoon a contract to write a revival last summer.

Three new characters are introduced by name here in Dharma's new office, which is otherwise mostly the same as the old office. The names are all obvious puns, so for the sake of consistency I'm also giving English language pun names to It's All Right Chief Dharma characters too now, even though those puns tended to be a lot more subtle. Dharma is already a pun (it's not a standard Korean name) on account of being a loan word, so that one doesn't need to be changed.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 1, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the 2019 thread is saved

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Heck yes Chief Dharma, 2019 is off to a good start. At least the 2019 comic strip thread is.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News is about three cats that report the daily events of their household as if they are local news anchors. It can be extremely clever and funny, but it can also be incredibly cloying and cutesie. The storylines are particularly frustrating, as they suffer from being originally published in webcomic form and adapted to newspaper comic format. However, when it's on its game, it packs more gags per panel than most of the comics in this thread.

Phoebe and her Unicorn (originally Marigold Heavenly Nostrils) about a little girl whose best friend is a unicorn, and everyone pretty much just rolls with it. Sometimes it can get into subjects like depression without being heavy-handed about it. Most of the time it's a very solid strip, but occasionally the writer gets laxy and just makes the punchline "Unicorn!"

Wallace the Brave is the best comic in this thread. Dude who makes it also a super-nice guy, go visit him in Rhode Island.

Curtis is... well, why don't I let the official description that totally wasn't written by the guy who writes Curtis tell you all about it:

The official Comics Kingdom description of Curtis posted:

Curtis details the day-to-day life of a close-knit contemporary African-American family living in the inner city. It is a comic work that does not fit easily in any category. Though it mainly features children, it is not necessarily “child-themed.” It can be humorous, thought-provoking, topical in subject and have bursts of pure zany fantasy.

Sometimes falling victim to censoring, Curtis is best welcomed by those modern free-thinkers who appreciate it for the work of art it is. It is often called "The Thinking-Man’s Strip,” for its witty approach, satire and use of storylines with an unexpected twist.

Veteran cartoonist Ray Billingsley uses his own childhood of growing up in New York’s Harlem in a tight-knit family as the template for Curtis. Some of the experiences and featured characters throughout are directly influenced by real people and happenings the author has known and experienced.

At the end of each year, Billingsley celebrates Kwanzaa with a completely original fable that is always completely different from any Curtis theme. Anti-smoking gags, along with gentle teasing of the hats the church ladies adorn themselves with, are always eagerly anticipated. Even the superhero genre is satirized through Curtis’ favorite hero, SuperCaptainCoolMan, which is a strip within a strip. Curtis has been long praised by community leaders and educators for its sensitive portrayal of urban life and family values. Billingsley is eagerly sought after by up-and-coming artists who are inspired by his style and craft and seek his advice and guidance.

(The comic is in reruns this week, normally the art looks way less Mad Magazine)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
A new thread is started, hooray!

As usual I must profess my love for Ballard Street. It’s the king of single-panel comics.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Chief Dharma's back!

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave is the best comic in this thread. Dude who makes it also a super-nice guy, go visit him in Rhode Island.

That's a second Phoebe.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Some Guy TT posted:

That's right, back by popular demand, from viewers like you! Not literally viewers like you. What I mean is, Dharma comics have been popular on South Korean internet message boards over the last few years. It took me awhile to find a digital source for the new one because most search engine results assume you want the old ones. Sports Dongah probably considers a feature, not a bug, since it incentivizes people to buy their newspaper. Hence why they gave Park Seong-hoon a contract to write a revival last summer.

Three new characters are introduced by name here in Dharma's new office, which is otherwise mostly the same as the old office. The names are all obvious puns, so for the sake of consistency I'm also giving English language pun names to It's All Right Chief Dharma characters too now, even though those puns tended to be a lot more subtle. Dharma is already a pun (it's not a standard Korean name) on account of being a loan word, so that one doesn't need to be changed.

A HERO ARISES FOR 2019! I always enjoy your comics, thanks for translating and posting them.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

As usual I must profess my love for Ballard Street. It’s the king of single-panel comics.

It's real good. I'd say say that makes F Minus the Queen or possibly the Dauphin. I don't know from royalty.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Ballard Street rarely makes me laugh out loud but I've never regretted reading it and it's often very silly in a great way.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I think what I like about Ballard Street is that it is in your face surreal but not stupid.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
I'm quite sick with the flu so I'll just reuse my descriptions from last year for the most part.

Intelligent Life is parts Ctrl Alt Delete, parts Big Bang Theory, parts Garfield, and parts Family Guy. Shallow nerd humor that tries to validate itself by going "jocks are obsessed about their interests too!" and then turning around and making fun of our heroic jock.
As of last week it's been dropped from papers and been demoted into a three times a week webcomic. So the other days, like today, I'll post a "random" old one that's probably from around the same time of year some previous year.

Take It From the Tinkersons is what some paper(s) replaced Cul de Sac with. Rest in peace, Richard Thompson.

Dark Side of the Horse is a Finnish comic about clever wordplay and clever sight gags. It sometimes manages to deliver on that premise.

Viivi & Wagner is a Finnish slice of life comic about a woman and a pig in a domestic partnership.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

:popeye::eyepop::gowron:

like, where do you even begin on this eight-year old's-level tantrum rebellion of conspicuous consumption put into the mouth of a fictional mid-twenties millennial by a nearly-fifty year-old man?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Ghostlight posted:

:popeye::eyepop::gowron:

like, where do you even begin on this eight-year old's-level tantrum rebellion of conspicuous consumption put into the mouth of a fictional mid-twenties millennial by a nearly-fifty year-old man?

pandering is the most charitable explanation at this point

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery is the story of 6 teenagers, who solve a variety of strange mysteries in their hometown of Tackleford. There's usually an overlap between the mundane and the fantastical. It was originally a webcomic, but the adaption's often added a few new jokes along the way. I'm really not doing it justice, so I'll let the comic speak for itself.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave looks different than I remember.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

For 2018, I wish the Working Daze authors learn how to draw a bottle of water or whatever else Rita carries around, and also that they stop announcing every character’s name in every sentence.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy used to be a classic comic strip about a lovable little poo poo and her friends. Then it was ruined by the boomers but now it's saved by the millennials. I post both original Bushmillers and the new ones by Olivia James.

Dustin (Reuben Award for Best Newspaper Comic Strip in 2010 and 2017) is a lazy conservative comedy strip that triggers the snowflakes in this thread.

Mandrake is a charmingly stupid adventure strip from a senile old man. The current strips are reruns from 2001.

e. Oh, dear, thanks for the avatar.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 1, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would like to take this opportunity to point out I didn't know this thread existed until the Sluggo is lit banner ad, and it turned out to be one of my favorite things I discovered in 2018.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's a new year! And you all know what that means; A new adventure of Corto Maltese by Hugo Pratt! A meandering tale of the many adventures of the titular sailor during the early 1900s, Corto Maltese was first published in '67, jumping from magazine to magazine, until finally ending in '88. Corto explores the world, fighting injustices when he can, with the help of allies and a little magic. The stories are often very dreamy - often invoking actual dreams themselves - but are on the whole, a rollicking good piece of pulp fiction.

The first five stories can be found in last year's thread; and you might very well think that the scan quality is bad - there's a reason for that; simply put, they are bad. I don't have access to a flat-bed scanner and have taken them the best I can. If you want better quality art-work, then do the Pratt household a favour and buy physical copies yourselves.

With that admonishment out the way, let us begin our next story, which I consider my favorite of the bunch so far - Book One of In Siberia, The Red Lanterns. The year is late 1918. Matthias Erzberger has signed the Armistice of Compiègne, ending hostilities in Europe at 11:11 on 11/11/18. Despite generals and military leaders knowing in advance that Germany had signed the armistice, fighting continued up to the very hour of the very day - 11,000 casualties resulted from these pointless attacks. The very last man to die from military action in WW1 was American soldier Henry Gunther. He died at 10:59.

In due time, this armistice will lead to the Treaty of Versailles in mid-1919, dictating the terms of German surrender, but with the activation of the armistice, officially all the world is entirely at peace. Entirely? Well, not exactly... One small part of the world, namely the territories of the Bolshevik Russia, still holds out against the terms of capitalist imperial powers. And life is not easy for the anti-communists forces stationed around the area, namely the White Counter-revolutionaries, the Allied Interventionists, and the new Eastern and Western Republics...

In today's adventure: Stupid Smarch weather!, or, Long Life gives us a briefing on the I Ching as well as our current situation, or, Can you guess who's sitting next to Corto?!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Hell yeah, new thread, new gently caress-up, here's your dang Wallace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

I think I'd also like to introduce the thread to A Problem Like Jamal by Tauhid Bondia. I've been following it since it was added to GoComics back in August, but the backlog goes back a few months. It's a pretty funny strip about a suburban black kid and it addresses race relations and community issues in ways that, say, Baldo is too cowardly to. Here's the first strip I saw, which hooked me:

Here's the first couple of strips from when the comic first started back in June, it was added to GoComics about two months later. It posted a 3-a-week schedule so if I post multiple in a day, it should get us caught up pretty quick. Not a big block like this, but like 2-3 a day: