Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Frog Act posted:

I'm really loving this game, haven't even fought a proper boss yet - just got to the boat at the end of the fishing village first level , which has taken me four and half hours of gametime cus I keep going back and triple checking I've found everything to find in the area, killed everyone a few times, and am able to make it to where I left off without taking any damage and using healing items before getting there, which is basically how I played Dark Souls. It's a really specific gameplay type I didn't think other games could pull off but the little environmental shortcuts, like putting out a fire and kicking down ladders, are very soulsy and make getting around between shrines really well paced. I have all six kodama and I'm level 12 now, and judging from the revenants I'm around the right level to finish off this stage with the boss that is presumably in the boat.

I still don't understand Omnyo magic, though, or ninjutsu. What are the little indicators in the bottom left, the shuriken, sword, and uh scroll or something? The number seems to change but I haven't thrown any shurikens or anything. Do you guys invest some in Dexterity even if you're not using a dex weapon for the extra tool slots or do you usually find you're okay with like 10 of each item?

also, low stance spear is loving awesome, I love the fluidity of its fast combos. I'm definitely really stuck on low and medium stance right now, I love being able to dart around and not tire out immediately, especially since hits in this game seem a little harder than other soulslikes

the numbers at the bottom are just how many skill points you have available to spend in weapon arts and new onmyo and ninjitsu. When you purchase a skill, like shurikens, you can equip it at a shrine through the ready jutsu menu, and then to one of the quick use slots.

and yeah, its good to invest in dex and magic so you can pick up a bunch of ninja and onmyo skills. Increasing the size of your toolbox is one of the main ways you get stronger in this game. I especially recommend getting guardian spirit talismans from the onmyo skill tree. they summon your guardian spirit to do an attack, and are generally extremely effective at applying elemental debuffs. Some of them also do things like knock down human enemies, or give you defensive buffs

also there's always sloth talismans, which massively slow down enemies (and bosses) but I've always felt those to be pretty cheesy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Unfinish3d posted:

the numbers at the bottom are just how many skill points you have available to spend in weapon arts and new onmyo and ninjitsu. When you purchase a skill, like shurikens, you can equip it at a shrine through the ready jutsu menu, and then to one of the quick use slots.

and yeah, its good to invest in dex and magic so you can pick up a bunch of ninja and onmyo skills. Increasing the size of your toolbox is one of the main ways you get stronger in this game. I especially recommend getting guardian spirit talismans from the onmyo skill tree. they summon your guardian spirit to do an attack, and are generally extremely effective at applying elemental debuffs. Some of them also do things like knock down human enemies, or give you defensive buffs

also there's always sloth talismans, which massively slow down enemies (and bosses) but I've always felt those to be pretty cheesy

word, thanks, I just realized those things also have skill trees that I hadn't really looked at yet. so basically both ninjutsu and magic are accessed via items from the quick menu, sort of like dark souls sword buffs and items? I have a few talismans and stuff I haven't used but the gist is that they'll be more effective with a higher magic stat?

I like that they integrated those without adding two entire other like systems, combat is fun but I dunno how much more I could integrate, especially with stance switching and timing which is super cool but I don't entirely get yet. I get the sense from the skill tree the game kinda expects you to start a lot of fights in high stance, hit hard, then switch around in order to regain ki.

just to be sure, when you execute a ki pulse, it dispels the yokai realm and restores all your ki lost in the attack that you used to cause the pulse? is it the same effect but less significant if your timing is a little bit off and you get the little ki fart?

I died a few times against the big ball and chain guy just now but the excellent shrine placement makes getting back there and trying again so easy its not even remotely irritating, I just gotta learn his moves and stuff, but in the interim I'm wondering if salt and stuff effect yokai bosses

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just finally took Umi-Bozu down after about 20 attempts, with a sliver of health left, no fire talismans, no elixirs, holy poo poo the adrenaline.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

I died a few times against the big ball and chain guy just now but the excellent shrine placement makes getting back there and trying again so easy its not even remotely irritating, I just gotta learn his moves and stuff, but in the interim I'm wondering if salt and stuff effect yokai bosses

They do. The poster who said enlarging your toolbox is the way to prosper in Nioh - which also means that it's not a bad idea to work on getting all your stats to about 10 first instead of dumping tons of points in one thing like people do in Souls - was right on the money. Consumable items and ninjutsu/magic rule, and bringing the right ones (and using them correctly) will make difficult encounters much easier to manage.

For example, with a minimal investment in ninjutsu you can grab cheap "spells" that cure paralysis and poison three times per rest, and the paralysis ones can even be used while you're paralyzed to instantly be able to move again. Suffice to say they come in massively handy in the situations where those ailments are normally a problem.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I'm definitely gonna have to look into learning ninjutsu stuff. I was trying to figure out the summon system so I dropped a cup and thought nobody was coming so ran back to try the boss again, and someone in a ridiculous outfit popped in and killed him in two hits lmao.

There's a lot going on in this game, but I think I'm slowly improving with the spear. Is there any particular combo you guys find really useful? I've been keeping the Y at end of combo kick and the LB+X stun, but there are a lot of other options and I guess you're meant to swap em around and test them out until you've settled on one?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
From the Onmyo tree you should pick up Kekkai talismans and Guardian Spirit Talismans as soon as possible.

Kekkai boosts your Ki regen, automatically purifies Yokai Realms and GS talismans lets you use your spirit's ranged attack at will. Some spirits have really powerful attacks.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pretty much all I use is Katana low stance. I sometimes try and mix it up a little, but I love being able to dart in, deal a bit of damage, then dance away again. Then I did the third Way of the Warrior dojo training thing where you duel the dude, and no matter what I tried in low stance I was still losing to him. Switched to high stance, spammed strong attack, got him first time. Kinda felt like the game was sending me a message, heh.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm jumping back into this on PC after dropping it after spending less than 10 hours when it came out and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm still very early on so the tips about Onmyo and Ninjitsu are appreciated. I was pretty much ignoring that stuff altogether originally so pivoting more into those stats I can already see a difference. I'm still pretty bad so any more general tips are greatly appreciated! Right now I'm sticking with the spear in mostly low-stance because I was putting points into it originally, I really like the moveset and being able to poke and back off to regen stamina.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
At first I didn't even notice the ninjitsu and magic tabs because I thought all those tabs were just for different weapon types and I completely ignored the ones that weren't for mine.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Spider lady is kicking my rear end. Everyone says she's easy but I keep getting slowed and then she 1 shots me with the grab. Antiparalytic needles don't work to clear the slow, is there an item that does?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
No shame in learning about the co-op system. With two people sharing the aggro, she’s much easier.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've run out of cups and easily accessible revenants near the boss to fight. :sigh: I'll try again tomorrow, I'm sure I'll get her. Just gotta be patient and wait for openings.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Spider lady is kicking my rear end. Everyone says she's easy but I keep getting slowed and then she 1 shots me with the grab. Antiparalytic needles don't work to clear the slow, is there an item that does?

From the flying blast? There is an audio queue, though it has a strange timing. Or are you getting hit by the umbrella? She is really a patience fight to get a hit or two in, dodge a bunch, then get those openings.

Every enemy in this game is capable of killing you at an even level. Getting hit by many of the boss attacks will leave you open to follow up hits, so learning to avoid those attacks is really the key to many fights. I prefer light armor in this game, since I rather just dodge attacks and you even get a back flip skill from it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Phuzun posted:

From the flying blast? There is an audio queue, though it has a strange timing. Or are you getting hit by the umbrella? She is really a patience fight to get a hit or two in, dodge a bunch, then get those openings.

Every enemy in this game is capable of killing you at an even level. Getting hit by many of the boss attacks will leave you open to follow up hits, so learning to avoid those attacks is really the key to many fights. I prefer light armor in this game, since I rather just dodge attacks and you even get a back flip skill from it.

I think you're talking about the bat lady, I was fighting the half woman half spider at the end of spider castle. I just took her down though - all it needed was a little patience and timing.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Bardeh posted:

I think you're talking about the bat lady, I was fighting the half woman half spider at the end of spider castle. I just took her down though - all it needed was a little patience and timing.

Oh ya, woops. Patience is really the key to most of these bosses. That castle room is a hard place to fight after she starts spraying web all over.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Frog Act posted:

Just finished the Tower and then the first half of the villagey place. I'm really into it, I was worried it'd be too hard but I'm doing okay. My questions right now are about stat investment, death penalties, and healing, but I really like the rhythm. it feels kinda like Onimusha which I tried a dozen times as a kid but couldn't get anywhere in.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is:

1. What's the best place to invest stats if I want to do a Sword/Spear build based on me not getting my rear end handed to me? I'm assuming points wise I want to invest in Body for HP, or is it a wasted effort since things hit so hard and you'll be expected to mostly dodge stuff?
2. How do I get healing items? I had plenty in the Tower of London but now that I'm in the village I was only given three that I used relatively quickly. Now I'm rolling around only able to take two or three hits before dying or having to find a shrine.
3. Do you lose amrita and items when you die or just amrita?

1. I recommend getting all your stats to 15 and Spirit to whatever level you need to unlock all the abilities on the Guardian Spirit you are using (I think pre-DLC 20 spirit means you can use every guardian spirit at full power).
You can skip Dex and Magic if you are 100% sure you don't want to use any ninja tools or magic, but both trees have great utility even if you're not going full on mage or ninja.

2. As was said finding kodama increases your base level of refilled healing items, while finding more in the field can increase it beyond your minimum. Excess gets stored in your chest and you pull it from there when you rest if you have any. You can offer items you don't need to the shrine which gets you lots of amrita and healing items.

3. When you die you lose your amrita and guardian spirit - both sit in the place where you died waiting for you to collect or die again, which gets you the spirit back but loses the amrita. You can manually call your spirit back and give up the amrita. Something to keep in mind is that no matter what you're getting at the very least 10% damage reduction just from having any guardian spirit, so you are a big bit more vulnerable during a corpse run.
However - there's a consumable item (summoning candles?) that just straight up summons your guardian spirit and amrita back to you if you don't want to risk a corpse run. It's in pretty plentiful supply, so if you've ever died with enough amrita that you don't wanna risk losing it, just pop a candle, get your amrita back and spend it.

Protip: The amrita number turns orange if you've got enough for a level up.

And yeah the first two bosses are some of the hardest because you don't have access to most of your moves yet.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks for the answers dudes, I'm at the second "real" boss and its taken me ten hours because I keep grinding the levels / revenants endlessly, which is pretty dope because I've gotten some excellent weapons of the type I didn't think this game had, with unique names. I'm slowly, so slowly, improving and figuring out moves - this game is distinct from DS insofar as there are a lot more things to do in melee, like flipping behind enemies and breaking block and stuff, so its really more like the old Tenchu and Onimusha games I was so bad at. I'm having fun though, I especially love the way the equipment looks

Anyway, when you say all stats to 15, is that just the baseline from which you want to keep levelling your stats specific to your weapon choices, or is it like a Dark Souls build that you should be shooting for?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
All the stats except for magic, dex and spirit give you things you want to have regardless of build and 15 is when the soft scaling kicks in. It also lets you essentially use any armor you find at least until the DLC. You might have noticed that weapons scale with multiple stats to different degrees - it turns out that it really doesn't matter that much which one of those you have as long as it's one of them for scaling. The difference between the different letter grades for weapon scaling are very small.

Another one of the things the game doesn't really make clear (most things it explains if you hit the help button on any screen) is that you get weapon type xp for using it, the visual indicators being on one of the pages of the status screen, and you get free samurai skill points every time the weapon type "levels up". This stops at 500k (although you can level till 999k) - so if you want lots of skill points, use all the weapon types. You'll eventually wanna do that anyway because 500k weapon xp also unlocks their super special mystical art skills later in the game, some of which are generic effects that don't actually require the kind of weapon they're in the tree in to be active.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

All the stats except for magic, dex and spirit give you things you want to have regardless of build and 15 is when the soft scaling kicks in. It also lets you essentially use any armor you find at least until the DLC. You might have noticed that weapons scale with multiple stats to different degrees - it turns out that it really doesn't matter that much which one of those you have as long as it's one of them for scaling. The difference between the different letter grades for weapon scaling are very small.

Another one of the things the game doesn't really make clear (most things it explains if you hit the help button on any screen) is that you get weapon type xp for using it, the visual indicators being on one of the pages of the status screen, and you get free samurai skill points every time the weapon type "levels up". This stops at 500k (although you can level till 999k) - so if you want lots of skill points, use all the weapon types. You'll eventually wanna do that anyway because 500k weapon xp also unlocks their super special mystical art skills later in the game, some of which are generic effects that don't actually require the kind of weapon they're in the tree in to be active.

Dope, thanks so much for the explanation, man, this was really helpful. I thought since I was putting my stats into heart/body I'd be useless with other stuff but most weapons scale to them some (except the super dexy ones I guess), so now I'm using a fantastic purple Odachi I found that does like five times the damage of the spear I was using. I also found a purple armor set, Warrior of the West, on a bunch of revenants and now I'm feeling pretty tricked out.

I figured with the skill system you'd be stuck to one or two types to maximize your point investment there and maintain familiarity with weapons at all times, but basically if you use multiple weapons you can more or less always afford to throw a few points into skills for them?

You can respec weapons kills, right, or is that only stat skills via that item?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Fighting the half spider half demon lady i found the odachi to be real good at it because it goes through all of the plates on her legs and does extra damage when you're using mid stance

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I need to stop summoning visitors, I keep hoping I'll get someone and it'll be Dark Soulsey where it's a cooperative effort to take down the boss but the Spider Lady just got absolutely decimated by some lady with nunchucks that responded to my summon. Like she was dealing thousands a hit to my 500 or so with an Odachi and I got the killing blow but don't really think I contributed much

I wish there was a way to say, I want a summon, but only one within x level range. But I guess there'd be very few responses with those parameters

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Frog Act posted:

I need to stop summoning visitors, I keep hoping I'll get someone and it'll be Dark Soulsey where it's a cooperative effort to take down the boss but the Spider Lady just got absolutely decimated by some lady with nunchucks that responded to my summon. Like she was dealing thousands a hit to my 500 or so with an Odachi and I got the killing blow but don't really think I contributed much

I wish there was a way to say, I want a summon, but only one within x level range. But I guess there'd be very few responses with those parameters

This happened to me on the DLC Bosses, and i had a different tune considering how easy it is to die at the last minute to those assholes

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 1, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Dope, thanks so much for the explanation, man, this was really helpful. I thought since I was putting my stats into heart/body I'd be useless with other stuff but most weapons scale to them some (except the super dexy ones I guess), so now I'm using a fantastic purple Odachi I found that does like five times the damage of the spear I was using. I also found a purple armor set, Warrior of the West, on a bunch of revenants and now I'm feeling pretty tricked out.

I figured with the skill system you'd be stuck to one or two types to maximize your point investment there and maintain familiarity with weapons at all times, but basically if you use multiple weapons you can more or less always afford to throw a few points into skills for them?

You can respec weapons kills, right, or is that only stat skills via that item?

You can totally afford to put some skill points into different weapons - I'd actually recommend doing that and trying every weapon type, because they're all interesting and that doesn't really come across at the start of the game when you can't get their skills yet. The must-have skills (living water, flux, grapple) are weapon agnostic too, it doesn't matter which weapon tree you pick them up in, you unlock them everywhere.

The respecs are for everyone, stat points and skill points (they're also very cheap and you get a bunch over the course of the game even if you buy none in the reputation or smith shops). Crucially, if you respec you still keep what you unlocked in dojo missions, so you can totally put 30 points into magic and dex, do the magic and dex gated dojo missions to unlock those skills - once you're far enough into the game that they show up - and then respec back to whatever build you prefer.

If it's still anything like it was when the game launched you're gonna get sick of those Warrior of the West pieces, because 80% of the revenants are gonna wear them, because 80% of the revenants they fought when they played wore them.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
What I don't understand is why whenever I fight a revenant, no matter what level it is, it's always wearing appropriately levelled Warrior of the West pieces. Are people soulmatching these pieces up? Why is the set so popular? Sure, it's nice, but is it so nice that it's worth continually soulmatching up to wear forever?

I also just killed catbro boss and it was weirdly easy. All his attacks are blockable and easy to predict with huge windups.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 2, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I'm not 100% sure what revenant gear level is based on, but it's not the level that person had it at. It's evened out somehow, adjusted either to the area, or their character level or yours. Soulmatching is not the only way to get gear at your level by the way - bosses also drop (rarely) blueprints for their gear sets, so you can craft it and you always craft it at your level +-forge skill.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I always felt it was kinda silly to summon help in Dark Souls because it's just easy mode. Even a guy at your level could be a sorceror and then whoops Oreo & Smooch died within 5 seconds.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 2, 2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I always liked the fact that the option was there in Dark Souls, and I feel the same way in Nioh. I'll always try to get a boss on my own, but at the end of the day I have limited time to play, and bashing my head against a really difficult boss will eventually have me either run out of time, or stop enjoying myself, and that's when I'll stop playing a game. So if I can summon some help to get past that roadblock, I'll do it. It smooths over those difficulty bumps, and while of course it's been more satisfying the times that I've persevered and taken down a hard boss on my own, I'd say my enjoyment of the game overall has been bettered by having the option to summon.

The only exception was the water blob boss, because I used up all my ochoko on him and every time the summon would die very quickly and be no help whatsoever. Not sure why that boss in particular was so difficult for people, but it was the one where I wanted help but eventually just had to Get Gud and deal with him myself.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 2, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Water blob just has a lot of one-shots and is almost certainly slightly bugged (if it does a certain attack before the big beam laser attack, it skips the charge-up animation that's supposed to announce the beam laser) so I can understand how a little latency can really screw coop ghosts in that fight.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bardeh posted:

What I don't understand is why whenever I fight a revenant, no matter what level it is, it's always wearing appropriately levelled Warrior of the West pieces. Are people soulmatching these pieces up? Why is the set so popular? Sure, it's nice, but is it so nice that it's worth continually soulmatching up to wear forever?

I also just killed catbro boss and it was weirdly easy. All his attacks are blockable and easy to predict with huge windups.

Its a common joke that WoW set is what everyone wears since it has an ok set bonus and you get it in the first region.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

You can get the weapons and armor worn by the revenants. If I'm not mistaken, they will be the same level as the revenant but can only be +1 (even late game when they should be over +20). I certainly farmed a few revenants that I knew had items I wanted and I didn't have the plans to craft yet. Though you need to soul match those up, which you wouldn't need to do with a regular drop.

There is a mission called The Demon King Revealed which can be used to farm items in the first half of the zone and those items are top level for that difficulty (dlc is slightly higher). That is my go to area for getting items for soul matching up crafted or revenant items.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Water blob boss isn't that hard but summons get a huge boner trying to show off how fast they can kill it that they gently caress it up, also latency doesn't help.

My advice for kill him:
Don't use the bonfires because they'll kill the adds if they're lit and those adds are 90% of why I die.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Lexorin posted:

Water blob boss isn't that hard but summons get a huge boner trying to show off how fast they can kill it that they gently caress it up, also latency doesn't help.

My advice for kill him:
Don't use the bonfires because they'll kill the adds if they're lit and those adds are 90% of why I die.

This, but also do apply fire to your weapon with scrolls or use explosives/fire shuriken as he is weak against fire.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Yeah, you defo wanna use fire if you can. You prolly have the fire dog guardian spirit by that point, so use him for fire based living weapon and the guardian summon scrolls. Save living weapon for when he's in the center of the arena, seems you get more attack time then as opposed to when he's on the arena edges.

I always forget to use living weapon. Don't be like me!

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Also use the hyottoko masks, they do about 1/4 of the boss total HP in a single use. 2 uses plus maybe a hit or 2 from your weapon if you didn't manage to hit him with all the fire sweeps and the boss will be ready to progress to the 2nd part of the fight.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is the horn what I'm supposed to be using to summon helpers? I can't beat this lightning chimera thing pretty early on but can't figure out how I actually get help to fight him. I have this horn that I tried tooting but nothing happened :smith:

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

You wanna go to the shrine with the little green dudes. One of the options should be "Summon Visitor". You'll need to spend cups to summon people, but you should have some and it'll show you how many you have.

That person will then get themselves immediately killed, usually before you even get to the boss fight.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 2, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lexorin posted:

You wanna go to the shrine with the little green dudes. One of the options should be "Summon Visitor". You'll need to spend cups to summon people, but you should have some and it'll show you how many you have.

Oh, poo poo. I completely forgot about that option :doh:

Thanks!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just killed Ogress. These bosses are definitely getting easier as I get more and more tools to work with. Sloth talismans feel like cheating, they're ridiculously good. The only trouble I'm having now, is that I will pretty much get 1-shot by anything bigger than one of the regular skeleton/zombie/human mooks. I'm in light armor, but I don't really want to give up the ridiculous mobility I have in exchange for slightly more survivability. Is that just how the game gets balanced as it goes on? I'm generally so familiar with all of the enemies now that it's not a massive problem, but it is a bit of an annoyance knowing that if I mess up one dodge against a Yokai that's pretty much it for me.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

If you wear light armor you get one-shot. That the price you pay for slightly higher ki regen.

Personally I don't think it's worth it if you don't have to do it for set bonus reasons - the 30%+ level (green?) of agility is still more than fast enough and you can actually take a hit. For reference, one heavy chest piece of armor gives you more damage reduction than your entire light armor set combined.

Don't worry about Sloth Talismans, they'll let you trivialize the original campaign, but starting with the DLC and NG+ (the DLC is basically at NG+1 difficulty) things get extremely resistant to sloth talismans. They'll fall off after a few seconds.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

You'll see sets change at pretty specific points in funny ways, the entire early game, you're gonna see wall to wall Warrior of the West because yeah, it's the first real attainable set and pretty overall good. A while later, Red Demon starts to pop up all over the drat place, because it pretty well supplants Warrior of the West for a bunch of playstyles. Later on Hayabusa sets are all over the place because Hayabusa is amazing if you're up for using it's set weapons (Katana + Kusarigama) and damage boost gimmicks to get the real power out of the last bonus. Past those you'll start to see a pretty good spread of also more niche sets and equipment in later difficulties, DLC areas and so on, since Nioh really lets you pull off all sorts of poo poo.

Also someone already clarified but while the conch horn isn't for summons, it's still very important to toot at your co-op buddies now and then to establish superiority. (Also it'll pull enemies which helps in some areas)

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 13, 2019