Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath Complete! Behold my Fat Yuan Yuan!

Apologies for the washed-out color, my disk partition that had Adobe CS3 on it died and I can't find my install media, so I couldn't correct the white-balance.

I was very happy with the way the greasy smoke from the jet-pack turned out. Seems fitting that a greasy fat man descends to earth on a column of greasy smoke.

And speaking of grease, home-boy is housing some noodles:

But of course, he's a greasy fat man, so we all know how this ends:

This is why Fat Yuan Yuan should never wear white. The other guy's dingy mustard-yellow shirt hides stains way better - he is clearly a pro.

Corvus Belli eats a lot of (well deserved) poo poo for the cheesecake in their model line (especially the older stuff), but these sculpts are hilarious genius, from the double-chins to the sliver of belly hanging out of the t-shirt. The discarded beer keg is also surprisingly detailed:

As mentioned in my oath post for this month, this oath was a Rescue Ranger, as I'd originally started these guys as part of one of last season's oaths and just never got around to finishing them. Also, I am claiming this month's Multidimensional Mashup Challenge (Hey me, meet the Real Me!) for two different representations of the same character (hilariously labeled on the original packaging - a Chinese take-away box, of course - as "Combat Action!!!" and "Eating Action!!!").

Finally moving into our new house (huzzah!) also allows me to claim Spring Cleaning! Before:

After:

Unpacking all of my painting stuff was among my highest priorities in the new house. It's nice to have a dedicated space to do hobby stuff again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yvonmukluk posted:

I, Yvonmukluk, Oath 1 28mm Games Workshop Space Marine.

Oath Complete!

Did this guy as a test mini, and I think he's turned out pretty OK. If only I could overcome my terminal shakycam.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ilor posted:

Oath Complete! Behold my Fat Yuan Yuan!

Apologies for the washed-out color, my disk partition that had Adobe CS3 on it died and I can't find my install media, so I couldn't correct the white-balance.

I was very happy with the way the greasy smoke from the jet-pack turned out. Seems fitting that a greasy fat man descends to earth on a column of greasy smoke.

And speaking of grease, home-boy is housing some noodles:

But of course, he's a greasy fat man, so we all know how this ends:

This is why Fat Yuan Yuan should never wear white. The other guy's dingy mustard-yellow shirt hides stains way better - he is clearly a pro.

Corvus Belli eats a lot of (well deserved) poo poo for the cheesecake in their model line (especially the older stuff), but these sculpts are hilarious genius, from the double-chins to the sliver of belly hanging out of the t-shirt. The discarded beer keg is also surprisingly detailed:

As mentioned in my oath post for this month, this oath was a Rescue Ranger, as I'd originally started these guys as part of one of last season's oaths and just never got around to finishing them. Also, I am claiming this month's Multidimensional Mashup Challenge (Hey me, meet the Real Me!) for two different representations of the same character (hilariously labeled on the original packaging - a Chinese take-away box, of course - as "Combat Action!!!" and "Eating Action!!!").

Finally moving into our new house (huzzah!) also allows me to claim Spring Cleaning! Before:

After:

Unpacking all of my painting stuff was among my highest priorities in the new house. It's nice to have a dedicated space to do hobby stuff again.

Your before space is way better than after I had unpacked and cleaned up.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
December Oath Complete!

1 Ral Partha pewter mini and 1 Reaper Bones Mind Flayers say happy new year!

Claiming Scene (Hey me, meet the Real Me!) for 'baby' and older mind flayer.

It took me a while to decide on the white octopus color for the skin, I always had something like that in mind but when I started researching and saw everyone go purple I realized I must have made that up based off of the old black and white photo from the 1st Edition AD&D Monster Manual (my go-to source for all monster info).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

wdarkk posted:

I, wdarkk, Oath 7 miscellaneous spaceships by Ground Zero Games.

wdarkk posted:

Because I loving hate myself and also am not doing anything worthwhile for the rest of the month, oath addition:

One Dropfleet Commander PHR Dreadnought by TTCombat.

Oath Complete!

I feel like I learned a lot working on this. Doing the custom decal was pretty cool, if nerve-wracking.

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
Oath Complete!

*Phew* I used up all the runway on this one. Of course, as I'm taking pictures I'm finding things I want to clean up and add but I was able to get these 'finished'. Lots of stuff I'd love to change in a perfect world but this get me moving towards a tabletop army. Also, I need to decide how I'm going to finish my bases. I'm leaning towards snow over dark brown grass but I haven't spent the time to build test bases and get a method and result I'm happy with.

I am really enjoying my home brew variant Biel-Tan scheme as cuts down on the amount of white I need to paint while giving me room to practice fun shades of green. If anyone has tips I'd love to get feedback.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

But what if, in some alternative far future, Janus Drake had been a lady?

Claiming Me, meet the real me for the switched gender.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK folks, December (and the year) is over! Onwards to January

quote:

January - Every Step you Take
Take at least three Work in Progress shots of your figure, not counting your initial Oath and final Completion pictures. Each picture should show some progression. If you take a lot of pictures, show three in the completion post and include the rest in an Imgur gallery or similar linked from the post.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I, KingMob, Oath for January 2019...

Legendary Bahadurs (Corvus Belli) for Aristeia.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I Hereby oath 6 Gangs of Rome gangsters and 1 Citizen of Rome. 28mm, Warbanner Minis.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
For January I, Galaspar, oath ten Traitor Guardsmen (GW 28mm)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Love those Eldar!

I, Ashcans, oath this Privateer Press Grundback Driller for January. This will round out my Rhunic battlegroup.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of January;

2x Vending Machines by TTcombat
5x Back Alley accessory scatter terrain piles by TTcombat
The God drat Batman, 80th Anniversary version by Knight Models

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I, LazyAngel, oath for January, Shakti, Yadu Officer and one Yadu Trooper, both from Infinity

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
I, Conan the Librarian, do hereby oath to paint these miniatures you see before you in the first month of the year 2019. They include four (4) Eldar Guardians, one (1) Eldar support weapons platform, and two (2) Ur-Ghuls from Blackstone Fortress, all in 28mm by Games Workshop.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for January 2019:

1 Leman Russ Punisher
Colonel Schaeffer's Last Chancers
All 28mm by GW

Hopefully I will remember to take WIP pictures this time!

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 5, 2019

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I, Yvonmukluk, Oath 1 28mm Games Workshop Space Marine.

wdarkk posted:

Because I loving hate myself and also am not doing anything worthwhile for the rest of the month, oath addition:

One Dropfleet Commander PHR Dreadnought by TTCombat.

Approved (December)

December should now be up to date in the spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17l0uEMpeIJ9DCqQMIOo1aX39zre1NFVUiixHS8YfgBs/edit#gid=23 - I'll work on the gallery next weekend.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

KingMob posted:

I, KingMob, Oath for January 2019...

Legendary Bahadurs (Corvus Belli) for Aristeia.

Grey Hunter posted:

I Hereby oath 6 Gangs of Rome gangsters and 1 Citizen of Rome. 28mm, Warbanner Minis.

Galaspar posted:

For January I, Galaspar, oath ten Traitor Guardsmen (GW 28mm)

Ashcans posted:

Love those Eldar!

I, Ashcans, oath this Privateer Press Grundback Driller for January. This will round out my Rhunic battlegroup.

Ugleb posted:

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of January;

2x Vending Machines by TTcombat
5x Back Alley accessory scatter terrain piles by TTcombat
The God drat Batman, 80th Anniversary version by Knight Models

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, oath for January, Shakti, Yadu Officer and one Yadu Trooper, both from Infinity

Conan the Librarian posted:

I, Conan the Librarian, do hereby oath to paint these miniatures you see before you in the first month of the year 2019. They include four (4) Eldar Guardians, one (1) Eldar support weapons platform, and two (2) Ur-Ghuls from Blackstone Fortress, all in 28mm by Games Workshop.

Zark the Damned posted:

I, Zark the Damned, oath the following for January 2019:

1 Leman Russ Punisher
Colonel Schaeffer's Last Chancers
All 28mm by GW

Hopefully I will remember to take WIP pictures this time!

Approved!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Thanks to the power of insomnia, Oath Completed!

The Last Chancers

Leman Russ Punisher, possibly a Tank Commander. The weapons aren't glued in (I just noticed the turret gun isn't in properly) so they can be swapped out as needed.

And for the Jurnal:

Started with a base coat of P3 Uniform Grey. Camo Squares added using AP Uniform Grey and P3 Hammerfall Khaki.

Weapons and a few details picked out in P3 Traitor Green, and the commander base coated. Then the metal bits in GW Runefang Steel, then an all over wash of AP Dark Tone wash (not worrying about streaking etc. as it's a speed painting job and I kinda want it to look grim and muddy).

Finally the little lenses on the turret picked out in AP White.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Ok time for my monthly question!!

Some ages ago I started working on this building which was supposed to be an inn, but didn't like how it turned out especially the floor so it's been sitting incomplete for a long time:

I was thinking for this month I would finally re-do this whole thing including re-surfacing and re-painting the floor, but also reworking the walls, adding windows, etc. Could this count as Rescue Ranger?

thanks -

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I Weirdo Oath two modrons from the Nolzur's Marvelous Unpainted Miniatures line.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I, Ilor, do Oath the following for the month of January: 1x 28mm WW2 Italian (Gaddis Games)

This guy is going to be my color-test mini. If he works out well, there will be an Oath Addition of more like him. If not, he'll get stripped and re-painted - repeatedly, if necessary.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath 1 terrain inn for January!

A combination of Hirst Arts molds for the floor plus a bunch of balsa wood n' stuff.

Will do Every Step You Take plus attempting to claim Rescue Ranger since I'm going to completely re-surface and repaint the floor, and also re-do the whole wall scheme as well.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Oath Complete

This team seemed to be downgrade in plastic quality from the previous 2. Lots of muddy / blurred detail, especially on Shona and Queen. Hopefully the 2019 teams are better.

Claiming Every Step you Take:

Skin tones are fully done, blocking in base coats.

Washes applied to some earth tones, some highlights completed.

Metallics and dark colours applied.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Weirdo posted:

I Weirdo Oath two modrons from the Nolzur's Marvelous Unpainted Miniatures line.

Ilor posted:

I, Ilor, do Oath the following for the month of January: 1x 28mm WW2 Italian (Gaddis Games)

This guy is going to be my color-test mini. If he works out well, there will be an Oath Addition of more like him. If not, he'll get stripped and re-painted - repeatedly, if necessary.

gameraMan posted:

I, gameraMan, oath 1 terrain inn for January!

A combination of Hirst Arts molds for the floor plus a bunch of balsa wood n' stuff.

Will do Every Step You Take plus attempting to claim Rescue Ranger since I'm going to completely re-surface and repaint the floor, and also re-do the whole wall scheme as well.

Approved!

gameraMan posted:

Ok time for my monthly question!!

Some ages ago I started working on this building which was supposed to be an inn, but didn't like how it turned out especially the floor so it's been sitting incomplete for a long time:

I was thinking for this month I would finally re-do this whole thing including re-surfacing and re-painting the floor, but also reworking the walls, adding windows, etc. Could this count as Rescue Ranger?

thanks -

This sounds fine to me.You're still rescuing an old project which is the aim of the achievement.

Also, December's Gallery is now up - please double check your pics and it'll go for judgement next weekend. https://imgur.com/a/cDFKLAF

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath for December an Armiger Helverin, 5 Sicarian Infiltrators, and 8 supply crates.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Addition! An Asura, and an Apsara Cyberdancer, both from Infinity

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I, grassy gnoll, oath one Meng cartoon tank

Aaaand finished. Claiming Need 4 speed, and recipe for success. I was gonna do the monthly jurnal, but apparently forgot to take my third WIP picture. D'oh.

Here's how it went.

After airbrushing on middle-grey primer, go back with a fine airbrush and do some pre-shading with black primer. Really go crazy with this stuff if you're painting a dark shade like GI green, as I did, because all that pre-shading work will vanish very quickly without the contrast.

Basecoat in your darker shade. I did about one part thinner, one part flow improver, and five parts paint for each coat.

Once you've got your basecoat, go in from the top and start with your lighter shades. You want a zenithial thing to give it some highlights. Once you've got your shading and detailing to your satisfaction - I did some edge highlighting and picked out spots in metallics, gloss varnish the whole thing.

Gloss varnish will give you the right surface you need for both decaling and ink washing. I do my own ink solutions, at about 1:5:6 ink to water to flow improver. That stuff pops right into crannies and makes stuff pop. Black ink will give you a nice cartoony contrast, while dark brown or purple can work for a little subtler shades, depending on what you're doing. Gloss varnishing first helps your shade solution flow into place, and you want your decal surface as smooth as possible.

Mirosol and Microset are actually just as good as they're hyped up to be. Once you've got your gloss down, slather a goodly amount of Microset on the spot you're going to place your decal. Slide in into place, then let the solution dry. This'll go surprisingly quickly, even if you douse it. Once it dries, apply the Microsol to soften the decal and let it sink into cracks and onto contours. If your decal has wrinkled, you can try and slather more Microsol on it and work out any kinks, air bubbles etc with your brush. If it's super wrinkled, slash at them with your hobby knife to break the surface, then go over it with Microsol again. Basically, melt the decal until it's in place how you like it. It's really astonishing how well you can smush a decal with this junk.

If you're like me and can't remember which solution is which by name, they're labeled number one and two on the relevant bottles. Set goes on first, sol goes on last.

Last comes weathering. I was hoping I could get away with some plain muddy washes, but it just wasn't enough to show up on a dark model again. Next one I'm going to buy some actual pigments and splash those around.

Finally, once everything's fully dry, give everything a matte varnish. This'll protect your painting and weathering, and take things back down from the shine you inevitably got on the gloss step. You can give it a few coats by your choice, but mind anything that's either intended to be shiny or is built out of transparent plastic, which will fog immediately. Between the extra layer of varnish and the microsol, this'll make the edge of your decals disappear. It's extremely choice.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I, glitchkrieg, oath these Shadespire spooky ghosts for January.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath for December an Armiger Helverin, 5 Sicarian Infiltrators, and 8 supply crates.

LazyAngel posted:

Oath Addition! An Asura, and an Apsara Cyberdancer, both from Infinity

grassy gnoll posted:

I, grassy gnoll, oath one Meng cartoon tank

glitchkrieg posted:

I, glitchkrieg, oath these Shadespire spooky ghosts for January.

Approved!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
December Judgements

Third place, Duct Tape

Second place, Conan the Librarian

These guys are crisp, more than anything else. These are two colors I've struggled to paint consistently, with nice clean lines and sharp jewel effects.

First place, Ilor

An excellent paint job, including disgusting stains, and thematically appropriate for the month wins first place.

Bonus point, King Mob

Gata's alt-sculpt is about as thematically appropriate for December as it gets.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: December Judgements! :siren:

Third Place, 1 point: Conan the Librarian

Bright, vibrant colors, excellent contrast, and a fun 2nd-edition feel all around. The only things that would make these models look even more like they stepped out of a 1990 White Dwarf are a blue gradient background and Goblin Green square bases.

2nd Place, 2 points: Ilor

As a fellow Fat Yuan Yuan resembler owner myself, this makes me smile. The pastel color palette nicely sets off the more contrasting tones of the "business" parts of the model (armor, weapons, beard, noodle sauce). This is an excellent embodiment of the 2-versions challenge.

1st Place, 3 points: Galaspar

This is both a delightfully executed gender (not palette) swap for the Rogue Trader, and an excellent conversion from the Escher kit. Both designs are over the top, but the punk-mohawk-and-feathers head swap somehow swings around into the aristocratic. I like that you've chosen the same shade of brown for the respective Traders' beast trophies; nice unifying touch.

Bonus, 1 point: Duct Tape

...I mean, these robots are just relentlessly good. Excellent color contrasts between the hull plating, hazard stripes and lenses; finely detailed weathering; and an aggressive posture make for another fine creation.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
:woop:

Thanks for the nods, judges! I had a ton of fun painting those Fat Yuan Yuan.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for January

Star Saga Tyrant Blaine by Mantic (28mm)
Galadanoth, Elf Sniper by Reaper (28mm)
Shamanic Boudi by Hasslefree (28mm)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:kingsley:December judgement!:kingsley:

Third place, 1 point: Duct Tape

You just keep churning these super cool robot things out. Great as always.

Second place, 2 points: Conan the Librarian

You've got some nice and clean greens here, and the color scheme works great. The gems adds some good contrast.

First place, 3 points: Galaspar

I like these super flamboyant models, and all the colors add to the garish flamboyancy. They're also very nicely painted.

Bonus, 1 point: Ilor

I just love these models! It's always great when they show up.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Thank you for the kind judge words! Truth be told, I wasn't particularly happy with how those Traders turned out, they were a bit of an experiment. I'm glad you liked them though, I'll have to try painting other flamboyant characters in future.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath complete

Ahh, photographing models, when all your hard work looks terrible. I even tried some new things this month that don't look half bad until you use and SLR and a good lightbox to pick out all the faults.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for January

Star Saga Tyrant Blaine by Mantic (28mm)
Galadanoth, Elf Sniper by Reaper (28mm)
Shamanic Boudi by Hasslefree (28mm)

Approved

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oath Complete!

Here are some progress shots:

And here is a link to an Imgur gallery with progress shots, as well as additional pictures of the final product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Complete!