Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Fragmented posted:

Help i'm going back to work in 17 hours and i really don't want to spend an hour calling the S.S. office....

I was at my local office last week and have an appointment tomorrow. You should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

"will attack from existing nearby base"

NICE OPSEC FUCKHEAD

Remember, when Donald was first born 100 years ago and said that he wouldn't tell enemies when we would attack because that would ruin the element of surprise and we give terrorists too much information.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I used to volunteer to occasionally test the TSA checkpoints at my local airport, I was 3/3 on getting through with the "bomb."

I, uh, dont think thats a job. I think you got tricked into smuggling drugs.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Yeah I'd need one hell of a verification before I believed "smuggle this through security so we can test our process" was real.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
uhm, are you unfamiliar with the concept of penetration tests? I seriously doubt anyone would hire random volunteers for it tho

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Eltoasto posted:

Man, for a split second I thought she was wearing a mocking trump wig before I realized it was a headscarf.

That headscarf is double fire by being good fashion and taunting the fine golden hair of :sad:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

TSA At Logan Looking For Volunteers To Test Bomb-Sniffing Dog Unit (CBS Boston)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just read Rick Wilson's review of Trump's oval office speech :lol:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trump-delivers-a-wet-fart-oval-office-address?ref=home

quote:

The man who gleefully put kids in cages tried to briefly pretend he gives a drat about migrant children in the least convincing humanitarian performance since the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Trump’s speech contained more lies per second than any presidential speech in history, including William Howard Taft’s “I did not devour an entire roast lamb and drink a magnum of gravy to wash it down” speech, or Bill Clinton’s “I was at the gym. That’s just sweat.” classic.

Somehow, though, the White House staff and congressional voices convinced Trump at the last minute to step back from the brink; that the political costs of the emergency declaration were too great even for this raging dumpster fire of an administration. You could see the disappointment in Trump’s face. He was unhappy with the speech, and evidently cranky to be told he couldn’t have his way. Curses! Cucked by the Establishment, again!

President Veruca Salt demanded his Wall and bet his most fundamental campaign promise on it. He walked himself into a political box canyon of a foolish government shutdown, an untenable demand, and Democrats motivated to hold the line. The speech wasn’t the usual trick escape play for the man accustomed to getting away with drat near everything; it was the exact opposite.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 14, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

Your memory of the last shutdown is faulty. That was the one where the democratic senate minority tried to filibuster the CR until DACA was made law. It didn’t work out.

Not sure how that makes my memory of goons saying "just give him the wall money" faulty. Or was getting something in exchange supposed to make it ok?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

moostaffa posted:

uhm, are you unfamiliar with the concept of penetration tests? I seriously doubt anyone would hire random volunteers for it tho

I am familiar with them and I am also familiar with confidence scams, so I'd need one hell of a verification to make sure I was in the former and not the latter .

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Well that's terrifying.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I am familiar with them and I am also familiar with confidence scams, so I'd need one hell of a verification to make sure I was in the former and not the latter .

I would think the first major tip off would be whether they were strapping you up in a security office or something or in the bathroom.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

CelestialScribe posted:

Wasn't this thread suggesting this wouldn't matter because hey, the TSA doesn't do anything so get rid of them?

How does that square with someone being able to get on a plane with a gun now they're understaffed?

Inferior Third Season posted:

Someone wanting to bring a gun on an airplane has always had about a 90% chance of success. This story has nothing to do with the staffing issue.

The TSA is security theater that people who don’t know poo poo about security think works.

I’m no expert, but while in line for screening I thought of a few different ways to get past their dumb poo poo and if my stupid rear end can do that, someone driven and determined will steamroll them.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
What's the suggested alternative to TSA?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

CelestialScribe posted:

Be prepared to die in an airplane, I reckon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mutata posted:

I'm registered "Unaffiliated" and I voted a straight D ticket last November. I get the vibe that "Independent" is for people on some extreme or the other who still want a tribe to feel like they belong to.

Please consider tactically registering Dem if your state has closed primaries, for one crucial reason: registered dems get to vote in primaries.

Help drag the party kicking and screaming to the left by setting the ballot.

Abner Assington posted:

Be prepared to die in an airplane, I reckon.

Doing nothing would be statistically comparable to failing their own internal inspections constantly as the TSA does now. Multiple handguns make it onto planes yearly despite the security theatre because their methods are flatly not effective, nor were they designed to be.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 14, 2019

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

CelestialScribe posted:

Convincing residents of Bumfuck, Iowa that they aren’t in any real danger of being blown up by terrorists in their day-to-day lives

In other words, Steve King and the TSA will be with us forever

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

CelestialScribe posted:

For all that it seems like it's been around forever, the TSA is only 17 years old, and it's only trivially more effective than the private firms that did the job beforehand despite all the effort they go to to make it LOOK effective. A return to privately-run airport security would be more cost-effective to both the taxpayer and the passenger, would substantially improve the airport experience, and wouldn't have an appreciable cost in actual security, IIRC.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1084627451983073280

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Besesoth posted:

For all that it seems like it's been around forever, the TSA is only 17 years old, and it's only trivially more effective than the private firms that did the job beforehand despite all the effort they go to to make it LOOK effective. A return to privately-run airport security would be more cost-effective to both the taxpayer and the passenger, would substantially improve the airport experience, and wouldn't have an appreciable cost in actual security, IIRC.

Privatize everything!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lol

:wtc:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I don't know statistics, but with the upgraded doors to the cockpit the chances of plane takeovers are pretty small I'd imagine.

Realistically, if someone wanted to blow up a bunch of people with a bomb, they could just go to the airport at a busy time and catch the big group of people bunched up at the security checkpoint.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

dang it, autocorrect

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CelestialScribe posted:

They put locks on the doors into the cockpit.

Fin

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
:lol: People allowed to vote believe this man is suited to be President.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bezos is getting a divorce.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Are people legitimately suggesting no security before they get onto an airplane, or are they just being stupid?

Besesoth posted:

Makes sense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Is he saying he's going to start attacking Turkey if they target the Kurds?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I don’t agree with making airport security private but I do think airport security should be massively scaled back. It’s security theater, it doesn’t make us safer.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

CelestialScribe posted:

Are people legitimately suggesting no security before they get onto an airplane, or are they just being stupid?

Makes sense.

They're pointing out that there was very little real security, and the TSA didn't do much to improve that situation. That, and most of the things you might do to "improve" security are designed to placate you, take your money, and harass people you dislike in varying proportions without necessarily making anyone safer.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

This is an actual thing written by the President of the United States. That he wanted people to see.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is he saying he's going to start attacking Turkey if they target the Kurds?

He is saying he's going to start tweeting about attacking Turkey if they target the Kurds. Unless they pay him money, and then he'll tweet about some democrats.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

He's....so fuckin' lame

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t agree with making airport security private but I do think airport security should be massively scaled back. It’s security theater, it doesn’t make us safer.

what, you don't think having to put your shoes through the xray is an effective way to stop terrorists?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

After dictating this, he leaned back and thought to himself, "This wit is why I got every electoral vote in America."

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Doing nothing would be statistically comparable to failing their own internal inspections constantly as the TSA does now. Multiple handguns make it onto planes yearly despite the security theatre because their methods are flatly not effective, nor were they designed to be.

Metal detectors/x-ray machines and bomb sniffing dogs seems like the logical thing to do to look for weapons? How else should we do it?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Fallom posted:

Not sure how that makes my memory of goons saying "just give him the wall money" faulty. Or was getting something in exchange supposed to make it ok?

Well the last shutdown wasn’t over wall money. So your memory of people saying that doesn’t make sense, see.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

what happend to the post? i assume he just saw something on fox.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

Well that's terrifying.
A couple years ago I accidentally flew with a 4" CRKT on me. It's a giant, scary-looking blade that could not possibly be anything else. Sailed through security and didn't even realize I had it on me until I was unpacking my carryon at my aunt's house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
...surely the answer is to create better security, not to say "ah gently caress it" and just let anyone on a plane.