Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Similar to characters getting a push that failed, what are the biggest and most annoying examples of a writer coming onto a book and then getting on their hobby horse and bringing their own favourite in?

Englehart trying to fit Mantis into everything is an infamous one, but Claremont's latter-day fixation on the Captain Britain / Excalibur characters is a less well-known one which I always think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I felt that Echo was underused compared to all the Ronin hype we got.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Similar to characters getting a push that failed, what are the biggest and most annoying examples of a writer coming onto a book and then getting on their hobby horse and bringing their own favourite in?

Englehart trying to fit Mantis into everything is an infamous one, but Claremont's latter-day fixation on the Captain Britain / Excalibur characters is a less well-known one which I always think of.

Frank Tieri with Mr. X.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
In b4 thanos

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey, I just finished reading the Death of WCW book some of you recommended me a month or two back. I got into wrestling (first WCW, then later WWF/E) in 1998, midway through college, and stuck around until 2004-ish. It was crazy how much came flooding back to me as I read the book, because so little of it made any sense at the time. Entire hours of programming with no actual wrestling, crazy promos and pre-taped segments that didn't seem to make any narrative sense, a general feeling of disorganization, chaos, and poor decisions. Back then I didn't read any industry insider stuff online, but I had my own ideas about what could be going on behind the scenes -- and I was surprisingly on-point with a lot of my thoughts and concerns.

It was a quick and entertaining read. Thanks for the recommendation!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Death of WCW is the only book I've had in audiobook format. Got it via the free trial on Audible (which I then opted not to continue) and quite enjoyed it.

THAT'S THE WALL UP THERE, BROTHER.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm glad the legacy of RD Reynolds endures.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Going through Miller's Daredevil:

- Jesus Christ, Bullseye won't shut up over how anything turns into a deadly weapon in his hands

- This is the most realistic hulking out, with Banner losing his poo poo because of public transportation

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I don't know if I should post this here or somewhere else, but I had an idea for a post-apocalyptic superhero setting using the DC Universe as a basis.

Basically, thousands of years ago a crisis ended the heroic age. Age known for Heroes and wonders. From it began a Dark Age where mankind regressed to a medieval society and broke in to separate races of men.

The descendants of Superman became the Kryptos who live the city of solitude on top of Mount Everest. Those below worship them as gods. Their City is powered by advanced technology, but they do not understand it and believe it as magic.

The descendants of Flash became the Wallys. They are innately connected to the speed force and can run at high speeds. They are nomadic and live by forging and my temporary structures that they make. They are considered a blight by other races due to their necessity to eat & Drink multiple times their own weight to survive.

The descendants of Martian Manhunter became the changelings. A race of green skinned psychic shapeshifters. They're super strength and flight has left them as they mixed with humans and they are considered a untrustworthy people since they can control your mind and take the form of others. People often keep Tinder Box is on them as it is known that fire can ward them off. It is not uncommon for politicians to have meetings in warm hot boxes as the heat hurts any potential Changeling.

The Amazonians remain. But they lost much of their knowledge. They do not know much of the heroic age. They live in a Greek society and the magic that protected them before left with the gods. So now they live among the races of men. They can only produce female offspring as before and they have super strength and super endurance. But they cannot fly and they are no longer immortal. They age very slowly and often live to 1000 years.

The atlanteans have become the masters of sorcery. Atlantis was forced to the surface during the crisis and there's regular communication with the surface dwellers. We have many underwater civilizations and many amongst the surface. Their magic is amazing and they are strong and hearty.

The Power Batteries of the five Green Lantern's of Earth have seeped into the ground and grown into a mine of green ore called Emerald Twilight. The Emerald Knights, a religious order that protects the world, allows worthy people to weild the ore as it can make anything they imagine. They are known for their oath and their unwavering courage.

The descendants of Hawkgirl and Hawkman have created a race known as the Hawks. They patrol the sky. They are known for their ability to reincarnate and that they carry memories from Lifetime to Lifetime, but not all their memories.

The machines of the world are known as machine men. Red Tornado in the other originals are gone and with them the true knowledge of the machine men and their origins. They are Immortal and intelligent. But they do not know the reality of their Origins. They believe themselves magical constructs. They have power over the four elements. But each one can only control one type.

Lastly, there are the batmen. They are considered the lesser of all beings as they have no unique powers. They are base humans. They tend to be depressed due to how useless they are. But they are very clever and very skilled and are sometimes considered by the wise as the most dangerous of all men.

Above the skies, the Green Lantern's keep Earth quarantined. Whatever the crisis was, Earth must never rejoin the cosmos. No one on earth is aware of the shield covering the planet. They simply think it's normal that the sky is green.

I have some more ideas. I'm still fleshing it out. I think you can make a killer RPG setting. I don't know what system you would use though. Maybe fate core as that's just easy. Or Savage worlds. Or something.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Matt Murdock is the worst attorney on earth.

One of the major exceptions to hearsay is called "dying declaration". A deathbed confession is completely usable in court. It's no wonder he's been disbarred six times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

One of the major exceptions to hearsay is called "dying declaration". A deathbed confession is completely usable in court. It's no wonder he's been disbarred six times.

Without knowing what's actually going on in the comic, the NY state rules are such that the prosecution has to be for homicide and the person that made the declaration must be dead at the time of the trial.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Without knowing what's actually going on in the comic, the NY state rules are such that the prosecution has to be for homicide and the person that made the declaration must be dead at the time of the trial.

drat you, Murdock! You escaped this time! Now I'll have to fall back on a team of highly skilled assassins, each of whom possess a gimmick and a convenient knick-name related to that gimmick, to take you down!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Random Stranger posted:

I haven't read the comic in well over ten years, but I already know from first glance that he's talking to Johnny Ohm from the lovely Imperfects fighting game.

It was like the precursor to Injustice as the superhero fighting game with a prequel comic way better than it should have been. Except the Injustice games are actually good.

Still, Johnny Ohm was an awesome design and I miss him.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Death of WCW is the only book I've had in audiobook format. Got it via the free trial on Audible (which I then opted not to continue) and quite enjoyed it.

THAT'S THE WALL UP THERE, BROTHER.

People bring up the Hogan/Wall segment as another example of WCW being dumb, but I thought that was the coolest poo poo. The fact that they didn't reference it again after that episode was what was dumb.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Remember when they wanted to have Hogan hallucinate Warrior in the mirror but they forgot they're not a regular tv show so they just had Warrior actually show up in the mirror for all to see except Bischoff pretended he couldn't see him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XbX5tVFeY

Backstage skits stretch the 4th wall at the best of time but this has got to be the dumbest one of all time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gavok posted:

I haven't read the comic in well over ten years, but I already know from first glance that he's talking to Johnny Ohm from the lovely Imperfects fighting game.

It was like the precursor to Injustice as the superhero fighting game with a prequel comic way better than it should have been. Except the Injustice games are actually good.

Still, Johnny Ohm was an awesome design and I miss him.

of course he was an awesome design, he was just the Engineer from TF2 :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is what happens when heroes don't age

https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/status/1084661630611402752?s=19

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't believe all these superheroes are actually lazy, good for nothing Millenials!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Which hero is most likely to have an sa account

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Moon Knight, The Shroud, Microchip (if he wasn't dead), Reed Richards lurks a lot, Carol Danvers had one but she posted a banme because there was too much liberal bias.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Deadpool definitely posts in FYAD.

Kitty Pryde is probably in E/N and ADTRW a lot.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Kamala Khan browses BSS

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Fuckin' Ned.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Kamala Khan browses BSS

There is no loving way she is on such an ancient dead website.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Kamala clearly posts her fics on ao3

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This place is super negative and cynical anyway, no teens, fictional or otherwise, should post here.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

danny rand was banned from the fitness log cabin

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Luke Cage posted in GBS once in 2004 and was accused of being a cop-hating reverse racist.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Back at the start of the month I gave this thread a silly title as a joke, but inspired by posts in the funny panels thread about and around Blackrock, how about leaning into it?

Which examples of characters being introduced to great fanfare or being pushed heavily (whether new or not) and just falling flat do you think are most egregious?
Azrael. Such a wet fart.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Barbara Gordon posts in bss

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A poster named "Slade the Blade" shows up in every thread to insist that of course Deathstroke the Terminator (who he doesn't know personally and has never met, but really respects and seems to know a lot of personal details about) could easily beat the entire Justice League at once.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ted Kord is a YOSPOSter

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Peter Parker posts in E/N and has his own thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oracle posted:

Azrael. Such a wet fart.

I mean, dude had a book last 100 issues. And he was in Batman for several years leading up to that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

I mean, dude had a book last 100 issues. And he was in Batman for several years leading up to that.
And he was just in Detective Comics, and he's in Justice League Odyssey right now. Dude's doing fine.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am pretty sure that Jason Todd already posts in BSSS but all his posts are about how awesome Jason Todd is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I am pretty sure that Jason Todd already posts in BSSS but all his posts are about how awesome Jason Todd is.

DearthTiticaca isnt actually JT, he just really wants to be him

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Ric" (who is a re-reg of Kcid Nosyarg, who is a re-reg of D. Grayson, who is a re-reg of D. G., who is a re-reg of Nightwing1996, who is a re-reg of Sensational New Goon Find of 1996, who is a re-reg of Dick) has been banned from every single sub-forum for shitposting "gently caress BATMAN" in every thread he joins.

Edit: I actually still have that mock-up of SA in the Federation. Unfortunately, it was made by :aatrek:

Man, that Neelix one is kind of bad in light of what we found out.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 14, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

site posted:

Barbara Gordon posts in bss

She of all people would know it, yes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It wasn't that hard to keep a book in print during the speculator bubble.

Also I just remembered that Superboy Prime canonically shitposts about himself on the internet, according to DC.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 14, 2019

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Rhyno posted:

DearthTiticaca isnt actually JT, he just really wants to be him

He's actually The Riddler, everything he does is actually a huge troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

site posted: