Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
In terms of giving you no penalty while still having decently sized storage capabilities, Thieves' Backpacks are the best you're going to get without installing any mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you don't mind micromanaging you can drop pack for fights so the stats don't matter a whole lot besides like using thieves packs for stealing because you need that extra space while your skill is being checked.

They also don't get large enough to hold the fuckoff large weapons which can make looting them back to a pack animal a logistic drag. I think only large backpacks let a person carry those without using up the primary weapon slot.

In general I guess backpacks are more about how and when you want to micromanage. The generalist problem if you have all thieves backpacks and pack animals is you are competing on inventory squares between both the fuckoff weapons and the trade items, where you could offload trade items to a guy if you had some trader packs.

e. or you have trade goods in the pack animals and have a squire with a large pack who holds and divvies out the large weapons vs cross bows if needed

ee. or maybe my eyes are going crossed and you can just get the large weapons into a large thieves pack?

zedprime fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 12, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I believe you can, but I have heavily modded my game and I'm not entirely sure mine aren't a column or two wider than the standard at this point. I believe all large backpacks are the same size except for Trader's Backpacks, which are extra large, but must be stolen from traders who wear them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Broken Cog posted:

Are there any backpacks that are better than the Thieves Backpack for just general adventuring? I know about the ones that let you stack stuff, but I'd rather just load up a Garr or a Wild Bull for that, since those backpacks tend to have a pretty significant impact on combat ability.

Really if you are bringing a pack bull with you then you don't need much of a pack at all, just teleport items out of Chests to a bull waiting outside the buildings. In that case a thieves backpack is useful mostly for carrying food, ammo, etc.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CuddleCryptid posted:

Really if you are bringing a pack bull with you then you don't need much of a pack at all, just teleport items out of Chests to a bull waiting outside the buildings. In that case a thieves backpack is useful mostly for carrying food, ammo, etc.

You underestimate how much of a hoarder I am.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

has anyone written a basic 'what the gently caress is going on and how to do stuff' guide yet? looked at the community hub, but all of them seem to be in russian

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Kenshi wiki is a good resource and has been worked on since before the game was on Steam.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There isn't really a set way to get started because you can do anything and as long as your character doesnt bleed to death or get eaten it's a valid way of getting started.

Now getting started economically, or in combat or thieving skills are their own things and i believe there are a bunch of posts in the thread in the last few pages with basic beginners guides.

If op doesnt finally add the stuff people have written up to the OP we probably should make a new thread since he seems to be largely MIA

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I've been making tons of cats by robbing stores in Squin and Stack, traveling back and forth to sell the stuff, and using the Hub as a midpoint. It's almost too easy.

I did some exploring into the Great Swamp but my squad got murdered constantly and I had to save scum my way out of there.

Where should I explore next?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Try the Fog Islands.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I appreciate that Tinfist isn't some sort of ancient, wise monk-like guy, but is instead just a giant goofball.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

zedprime posted:

If you don't mind micromanaging you can drop pack for fights so the stats don't matter a whole lot besides like using thieves packs for stealing because you need that extra space while your skill is being checked.

They also don't get large enough to hold the fuckoff large weapons which can make looting them back to a pack animal a logistic drag. I think only large backpacks let a person carry those without using up the primary weapon slot.

In general I guess backpacks are more about how and when you want to micromanage. The generalist problem if you have all thieves backpacks and pack animals is you are competing on inventory squares between both the fuckoff weapons and the trade items, where you could offload trade items to a guy if you had some trader packs.

e. or you have trade goods in the pack animals and have a squire with a large pack who holds and divvies out the large weapons vs cross bows if needed

ee. or maybe my eyes are going crossed and you can just get the large weapons into a large thieves pack?

I know you can get large weapons into basket packs. I usually buy a couple of those if i'm starting out and not breaking the game over my knee.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
I went into the Shrieking Forest. At first they didn't attack me so I went in farther and farther. Then wave after wave. I thought they were a joke. So many dead but they kept coming. It final dawned on me that it was never going to stop and I was being ground down.

Ended up running for it with about 50 chasing my dudes totally underestimated the danger.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
My second attempt at settling in Shem ended up being much more successful. Mercenaries help very much, especially against the initial band of 40+ starving bandits that like to show up before the walls are finished.

But man did I not really understand just how many bandits stumble by to attack you each and every day. I have a weapons cabinet and 3 separate armour boxes constantly full of poo poo to sell because of the constant wave of free loot throwing themselves against my bands of mercenaries.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just started playing this today. I have no real idea what I'm doing but I made it to Squin and have two other party members - Hobbs and Ruka. I'm now getting my Morrowind on by robbing all of the shopkeepers blind before heading back to The Hub.

How many people should I have before I make my own town? I'm fine with just sitting in The Hub and training up some dudes for now. I dicked around a little with building so far, but it seems like I would have to be pretty far away from an already existing town to claim the territory.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've started minor outposts with as few as three people and as many as ten. You're really free to do whatever you please there. If poo poo goes pear-shaped, just abandon the place and build another somewhere else. There is no upper limit on how many outposts you can have.

And it's really not that far away, it just feels like it. Check out the maximum distance you can move the camera away from your current squad - it's about twice or thrice that. In comparison to how big the world is, this is essentially nothing.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is Reactive World any good? And/or Bandit Disharmony?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I keep running into a problem lately where my settlement gets attacked, and my six useless mooks get their asses beat, but then the attackers just start running between my two buildings forever and never actually loot or leave. One time I only had one building so they just stood there for days while my guys played dead waiting for them to gently caress off. Is there anything I can do about this or am I just stuck if it happens?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You always have the option to just import, with all your stuff, people and research intact, but the rest of the world reset to zero.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I built a tiny outpost in a mountain range with a front and back gate. If a raiding party shows up at one door, I can escape out the other door with all my food. Even better, opening the other door triggers the AI to head for it regardless of distance, which means running around a huge-rear end mountain.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

To confirm you can put maximum sized weapons into a medium thieves backpack, but not into a small one.

The small one gives literally no penalties for wearing it and so is a no brainer to give to literally anyone if you can afford them, the medium gives -2 Melee Attack but no other penalties. so pretty much nothing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So now I have 5 people - two humans and three Shek. I've stolen just about everything I could in Squin and everyone is loaded down with shitloads of things that I need to sell at The Hub. I think I'm going to train my combat skills up on everyone before making my own outpost. Everyone has really good weapons and armor too.

Then I'm going to head back to Squin and steal everything again.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is there any reason samurai patrols try to kick my poo poo in? I have 4 reputation and I was transiting newbs with 2 Merc squads, on tech Hunter one Merc group. And for some reason 14 or so UC samurais started attacking my poor lvl 1 fresh recruit.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Was it a noble's hunting group? Nobles like to hunt people at random outside of UC cities, and if other UC patrols are nearby they'll always jump in to "defend" the nobles.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
RIP my swamp/shen base, dead to two dozen red sabres on my third raid

I could probably save scum but i honestly had way too large a colony of completely useless people and I'm better off restarting and focusing on a small but skilled roving band now that i know what I'm doing. The base was too large anyway, raptors kept spawning inside my walls.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I recently got my first real proper huge raid on my Shem base. For some reason I thought kidnapping Queen of the South would be a good idea (it wasn't) and grabbed her. Well, before my kidnappers even got her back to Shem, I got a fast moving counterstrike and had to deal with it without my A-team defending. The raid was 3 or 4 huge groups of droneguards and 6 war gorillos which nearly had the stats of an elder beak thing. Good holy poo poo it was a slaughter. I had a row of 10 meaty samurai armor dudes as gate guards but they were barely a speedbump as the raid plowed over them. To my huge surprise though, they never managed to pummel my defensive gate IV down. I had 4x revolving harpoons and 4x double harpoons grinding them down and ended up getting a huge pile of dismembered corpses at the gate, with my own guards somewhere in the mix.

Shortly afterwards I kicked the queen out because she wasn't even good as a training dummy. Completely worthless :toot:

Also RIP my meitou grade Nodachi. Assaulted Blister Hill and in the ensuing chaos one of my guys got knocked down and looted. Bet there's a hungry bandit somewhere with a bitchin blade. I must say that Blister Hills ridiculously huge garrison vs. me vs. my mercs vs. couple groups of hungry bandits vs. some rive raptors vs. a pile of Kral's Chosen vs. a bunch of Shek warriors ended up being a rather royal clusterfuck, especially when we ran out of religious nuts and the Shek decided to start fighting each other.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 14, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Captured the Cannibal leader, but I did the Holy Sword start, so I'm hostile to HN and UC. Is there anywhere closer I can drop him off, or do I have to drag his fat rear end all the way down to Shek territory?

Also, as a sidenote, cannibals are the worst.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

That Guy Bob posted:

Was it a noble's hunting group? Nobles like to hunt people at random outside of UC cities, and if other UC patrols are nearby they'll always jump in to "defend" the nobles.

Could have been...

Never saw any Noble bodies in my looting, but they may have gotten knocked out behind a bush I didn't check.

Bastards should have known better than attacking a 10 man Merc team, and eventually 15 man as I pulled reinforcements from a nearby waystation. My newbies helped as they could, stripping UC samurai and healing my mercs. Definitely a strange fight.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Donkringel posted:

Could have been...

Never saw any Noble bodies in my looting, but they may have gotten knocked out behind a bush I didn't check.

Bastards should have known better than attacking a 10 man Merc team, and eventually 15 man as I pulled reinforcements from a nearby waystation. My newbies helped as they could, stripping UC samurai and healing my mercs. Definitely a strange fight.

They can also get mad and attack you if they tell you to stop so they can talk to/extort you and you do not.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Ok so what do I really need to get my first base up and running? Water, iron, copper, and enough land to build on I'm guessing at a minimum. I've got a Storm House in The Hub that I'm using in the meantime to research and train my dudes. I only have five so I think I need more before I set out. Do you start with walls first so there's nothing of value to steal?

Or I guess building a Stone Processor to make your own building materials is probably the smart thing to do, rather than having to buy and truck all the materials in.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vasudus posted:

Ok so what do I really need to get my first base up and running? Water, iron, copper, and enough land to build on I'm guessing at a minimum. I've got a Storm House in The Hub that I'm using in the meantime to research and train my dudes. I only have five so I think I need more before I set out. Do you start with walls first so there's nothing of value to steal?

Or I guess building a Stone Processor to make your own building materials is probably the smart thing to do, rather than having to buy and truck all the materials in.

You need so many building materials that you should absolutely buy a whole shitton early to get started, along with a bunch of iron plates. You can sustain your outpost with self produced resources but you want to haul in the stuff to get your own building material/iron plate production online and get those initial buildings/walls built.

I prioritize walls and getting a few turrets on them since they help significantly vs wildlife and bandits. Naturally this means you will need to have researched better wall tech than the lovely tier one stuff so you can have big walls that you can put turrets on and gates that don't die instantly to 11 hungry bandits. You do want more guys, I'd say 10ish at the least since you need more people early to do production chains and you can't effectively defend yourself with so few newbies unless you are ok paying mercs on a permanent basis. With 4ish on mounted crossbows and another half dozen to stand behind and repair the gate you should be fine. I'd also recommend a double gate like you are building a proper castle so if they manage to knock down your outer gate, they actually have to defeat your melee before they can break down your inner gate and rush your guys on the walls. If the attack is a bad one you should definitely have a guy or two hiding on passive someplace to heal your people up or get help in the form of more merc, or just abandon the place altogether for a little while until they leave.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They can also get mad and attack you if they tell you to stop so they can talk to/extort you and you do not.

Oh I can see this happening. I just pointed them at a direction and went and microed elsewhere.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Played some more and welp, I finaly reached the point where it feels like I could just binge the game for hours on end.

I took my group of ~15 idiots of various degrees of incompetence out to explore a bit, since I finally hit all the research I could do using only regular books. Looking at the map I decided for whatever reason that that giant crater looking place south of the swamp seems like a wonderful place to check out, especially since it has that weird area on the northeastern border of it that looks funny. So cue a trek from around Squin along the border of the swamp and what apparently is called the spider plains, which explains why every five metres my group was harassed by skinspiders and bloodspiders.

We manage to make it to... Shark I believe? to take a rest as even with some shameful savescumming everyone did get beat up a bunch. After taking turns sleeping since the bar did not have enough beds for everyone and also there was stil the occasional bloodspider somehow beelining towards the entrance of the bar I took stock of our situation: Everyone was fine, except for one guy who lost a leg. In hindsight, he probably could've just become a permanent citizen of Shark, so I got someone to check on shop blueprints and such but instead I decided to send in on a heroic one-man mission to scout a ruin somewhat nearby as the rest of the squad decided to go and continue their expedition. Pretty sure some ninja or shinobi or whatever got him halfway there.

After wading through the swamp some more we finally make it to the weird area which as it turns out is called The Grid. Some exploration revealed that we hit the jackpot: a couple lootable buildings which had engineering and ancient science books, as well as what looks like higher tier building materials and a mk.III sabre, and no enemy in sight. The boxes requires some lockpicking skill to open but with no one attacking it basically just meant some free level ups as I waited for the unlock chance to go my way.

So, with a bunch of nice loot I decide to do the sane and smart thing of pushing towards the crater itself instead of returning back to base. I make it far enough through the weird canyon like ways to get attacked by Beak Things, and after fighting like five of them and getting beat up again I figure this is a really bad idea. Problem was, everyone was hurt, one guy lost a leg again, another an arm and a couple others were still unconscious. And the way back was full of more Beak Things that I suppose just patrolled into that area. After some savescumming (yes I know, I am a terrible person) I learn that there is no way out without every Beak Thing aggroing at once so I just say gently caress it and stay where I am, hoping I can at least recover some health.

And what do you know, when they start only coming in a few at a time things become a lot more managable. Somehow at the end everyone is hurt but still got any limbs attached they had before the fighting and I am a bunch of meat and animal skins richer. The way back ends up being a lot less evenful luckily and once I return I can finally resume some researching.

Now I got harpoon guns and hoo boy. Having three gunners with like 70+ turret skill manning these means that the occasional wave of hungry bandits just melts. Sure, we lost two somewhat new recruits (the other one who lost his leg was sent to scout further into the crater, he found more Beak Things) and I had to replace one's arm with a lovely robotic one but hey, the front door has not been breached in forever now so nothing is stopping me from just gearing myself up for the next trip

Fake Edit: When I imported a while later I send a single character with 80+ athletics down. Turns out when you can just outrun everything on the way this is a really quick and easy place to loot. Just don't do what I do and go further towards the crater, unless you are ready for quite a bit of fighting.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So my game crashed while I was returning to base to fend off a Cannibal raid, and when I loaded the last save, the raid was gone from the map.
The event in the faction log is still there, but not a cannibal in sight. Any way to fix this Schrodinger's raid situation?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They will totally follow you outside of towns for that, by the way, where you can beat them up/rob them at your leisure.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My incomplete base has a Storm House for storage while working on walls, and now it's inhabited by bandits that came to raid and haven't left. Only they're not the sole raider gang around, so it's a turf war inside while I'm working the quarry trying to stay unnoticed. :shepface:

I hired some mercs but they haven't shown up at all and my squad is nowhere near tough enough to clear it. :smithicide:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So there is this weird thing in squin when I load my game
About 5% of loading my saves, my squin miners teleport from my house into a private residence. I don't check on them too often because they can beat up most dust warriors and bandits. When they teleport into a house it's like 2 days lost production because they kick the poo poo kicked out of them by guards.

I finally got fed up and bought all the Squin houses for a meaty 38k cats, but it's worth it to stop the jank.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Donkringel posted:

So there is this weird thing in squin when I load my game
About 5% of loading my saves, my squin miners teleport from my house into a private residence. I don't check on them too often because they can beat up most dust warriors and bandits. When they teleport into a house it's like 2 days lost production because they kick the poo poo kicked out of them by guards.

I finally got fed up and bought all the Squin houses for a meaty 38k cats, but it's worth it to stop the jank.

I live in a house in squin and have never had this happen that I'm aware of. If you shift click their jobs they should run out automatically to go back to work. You get a couple seconds leeway after trespassing before you get your brains turned into paste by a hundred guardian.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That really is weird and I've never had that happen to me in any city. The jank is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It took me three hours of savescumming before I was finally able to get my base walls built without being murdered by random events. Then somehow some hungry bandits made it in my perimeter. I don't know what the gently caress.

That spot in Shem is cursed, I'm going somewhere else when I boot up the game again.