Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Shanakin posted:

Spoken like a scrub who wont immediately find an all powerful magic mirror artefact that duplicates other treasures and explodes enemies' butts. (and then turns into a trusted scamming companion)

this was the moment i realized i shall seal the heavens was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just use Amber Diceless.

Unspent xp is literally 'good fortune', and the stat system is 100% based on the ranking of players relative to each other, and not against the rest of the world.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
No one should ever use Amber

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Piell posted:

No one should ever use Amber

Having the players decide their starting stats with a bidding war is cool and good :colbert:

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Madtrixr posted:

Then somebody is gonna have to do some PbtA work because thats pretty good at letting people do cool poo poo, but I don't know if there's any games specifically built around xianxia that use it.

That would probably be Broken Worlds, which includes such lovely martial arts as

HEAD OF JOHN posted:

The chief feature of this style is using the head as a blunt weapon. I have seen acolytes shatter bone with their headbutts in practice and an elder monk break a temple wall with the fierce application of his forehead. By practice of meditation they are also said to have accomplished unbelievable feats. It is a common story among the monks that their most senior member had his body destroyed and his head severed while defending the temple many years ago. His head survived for four weeks without a body, and was later sewn back on to the body of a deceased temple guard, which quickly revivified both the body and the head. I could not verify his claims but his neck did have a most spectacular scar.
and

DEMON FLIPS THE CART posted:

The well known drawback to this style is a practitioner must eat and drink around three or four times as much as a normal person of their weight in order to stoke their internal fire. Without such regular fuel, their own body is consumed and they quite literally combust. The masters I talked to were rather unconcerned about this particular quirk and took it as a matter of religious importance, one of them going as far as to say that most old masters that know their time is getting near stop eating, so that when they next enter battle their body will consume many of their opponents in its violent self immolation.

Have not played it myself, but have heard it pretty good.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
This is interesting. I can sort of see the Mary Sue thing, she has fallen rear end backwards into wealth, but there is a lot of trauma involved in getting that bullshit (and then later consequences of that to herself and those attached to her), so...

Also lol the paragraphs of fashion description that need to be skipped every few chapters. Yeah, I guess that's counts towards the author self-insert fantasy leaking straight through

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 12, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most of the english language wn's with female protagonists i've tried to read have featured ridiculous train wrecks. they run along by having their mc always make the dumbest possible decision at every given moment, and then the other characters are even dumber because they go along with it. metaworld has its flaws, but at least its mc makes good decisions at times.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

SerSpook posted:

this was the moment i realized i shall seal the heavens was amazing

I just figured out the next thing to read after The Great Ruler.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ISSTH is way heavier into the more stereotypical Xianxia elements. Er Gen sort of distills what made Meng Hao enjoyable (at least to some readers, who just like the scamming trickster stuff) for Bai Xiaochun in A Will Eternal. That said, it's not an awful read but ISSTH has issues. So does AWE.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

As far as Er Gen goes, don't even bother with Renegade Immortal. The protagonist gets a powerup right at the start that makes him able to beat anyone of the same level with absolutely no effort, with the "drawback" that it makes it harder to level up.

Which means there's no interesting shenanigans or fights.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the good parts of issth are very good, but the rest of it is kind of dull.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I liked ISSTH a lot, but you can definitely drop it somewhere in the second half as your interest wanes

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
For me the worst part of Metaworld Chronicles is the absurd paragraph-long or even occasionally chapter-long male gaze descriptions of how sexy and fashionable every single protagonist-aligned female is.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

most of the english language wn's with female protagonists i've tried to read have featured ridiculous train wrecks. they run along by having their mc always make the dumbest possible decision at every given moment, and then the other characters are even dumber because they go along with it. metaworld has its flaws, but at least its mc makes good decisions at times.

Considering what you normally post about reading, Metaworld Chronicles is an entire mine of gold in comparison.

e: In case that wasn't clear to the audience, it's trashy but a good read.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

TheDemon posted:

absurd paragraph-long...descriptions of how sexy and fashionable every single protagonist-aligned female is.
I thought the writer had to be female exactly because of those descriptions (and the accompanying pinterest album!?!) (yeah yeah, prejudice/bias/etc). Profile states male but that just seems so unbelievable (yeah yeah, prejudice/bias/etc).

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
i'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed and/or was annoyed by the constant long digressions into fashion that happen every third chapter or so.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Shanakin posted:

Spoken like a scrub who wont immediately find an all powerful magic mirror artefact that duplicates other treasures and explodes enemies' butts. (and then turns into a trusted scamming companion)

alas, meng hao does not work in a game where multiple people have to be on vaguely even playing fields so everyone at the table can have fun

now a batshit crazy issth-esque video game on the other hand

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Read AWE if you want to see what happens when a group (albeit one dominated by the protagonist and their shenanigans) pulls off shenanigans and trickery together. It's still very much Bai Xiaochun's show, but he manages to keep a stable of colorful people around him whereas Meng Hao never really hangs out with the same people after the arc is over.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheDemon posted:

For me the worst part of Metaworld Chronicles is the absurd paragraph-long or even occasionally chapter-long male gaze descriptions of how sexy and fashionable every single protagonist-aligned female is.

Considering what you normally post about reading, Metaworld Chronicles is an entire mine of gold in comparison.

e: In case that wasn't clear to the audience, it's trashy but a good read.

true, it isn't a literary feculence like most of what i read. but really, when i want to read something good i turn to actual books. you know, after 3 decades of avid reading i hadn't ever read a single discworld book? i've been slowly going through them when i need a break from webnovels.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I think the straightest that the plot of reincarnated/summoned heroes going on a quest to defeat the demon king has been played in a "modern" web or light novel is in Konosuba.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The fashion and the superpowered protagonist don't really bother me, and the prose, I mean, I've survived worse.

The Australianisms, though, those are rapidly driving me insane.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are there any decent modern wuxia/xianxia themed games? That seems like that natural medium for the kind of storytelling they go for.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Grimgar and Rokka volumes I ordered arrived today; I was apparently less far in Grimgar than I thought (for some reason I was under the impression I had read through the 5th volume, but I got the 4th since I wasn't sure and apparently I had only read part of the 4th). I feel like it's almost masochistic of me to get the Rokka volumes, given I'm going to be stuck with a possibly-eternal cliffhanger.

Grimgar has really good action sequences. They're well "choreographed" in terms of the environments they take place in and events that take place. Grimgar is basically what I wish most of these other isekai stories were like.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

Are there any decent modern wuxia/xianxia themed games? That seems like that natural medium for the kind of storytelling they go for.

There's a fair few wuxia games, but xianxia with its ridiculous scope isn't done in anything i've ever run into

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Darth Walrus posted:

I had fun with tale of wuxia, even with all its quirks.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Jade Empire was Bioware's attempt to make a Xianxia game; it was okay. If you don't mind janky translations, there's also a new version of Tale of Wuxia.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I mean...from a mechanical perspective, many ARPGs are xianxia-like with the several order of magnitude differentials between level 1 noob and max level.

In fact, when I first stumbled onto Desolate Era, my reference frame comparison was actually giant MMO with a giganticly wide skill tree and lootbag evil NPCs/arbitrary loot dungeons that have no reason to exist except as loot generators.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There was goon favourite MMO Age of Wushu for awhile which was janky as hell and we earned many enemies for repeatedly setting their guild halls on fire.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Almost all the really broken stuff in Elder Scrolls games involves abusing Alchemy.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

7c Nickel posted:

Almost all the really broken stuff in Elder Scrolls games involves abusing Alchemy.

The real broken stuff is the spell making in Morrowind.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The real broken stuff is the spell making in Morrowind.

If you went back and forth in daggerfall character creation you could keep chalking up unlimited one-time bonuses because it didn't remove them properly when you clicked 'cancel'.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Desuwa posted:

I think the straightest that the plot of reincarnated/summoned heroes going on a quest to defeat the demon king has been played in a "modern" web or light novel is in Konosuba.
Isn't Drifters about fighting the orc hordes of Dark Lord Jesus?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I translated Honzuki chapter 97 to see if I could, and I finished, but... this is not a task I can sustain at my current level, as I am currently able to type faster than I can actually understand it. It does need a second pass but should be readable. Ugh on trying to format a Tumblr post though.

http://cmarguel.tumblr.com/post/182051814151/ascendance-of-a-bookworm-chapter-97

Argue fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 16, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There's also The Scroll of Taiwu which seems to be popular among Chinese Steam users.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Megazver posted:

There's also The Scroll of Taiwu which seems to be popular among Chinese Steam users.

I tried it with the english mod translation, and while playable, a whole bunch of stuff isn't translated and won't be until the game is further in development and poo poo is locked down. This is includes most tutorial messages. So unless you can read Chinese, I'd hold off for now.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Oh yeah, Scroll of Taiwu's TL patch team seems to be mostly ESL people. I'm in the discord and I was meaning to help them with editing but uh, I keep pushing that off. Should probably get around to doing some work on that.

Mind you, some of them are very close to fluent. There's just weird things like using late Middle English terms and grammar issues.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Argue posted:

I translated Honzuki chapter 97 to see if I could, and I finished, but... this is not a task I can sustain at my current level, as I am currently able to type faster than I can actually understand it. It does need a second pass but should be readable. Ugh on trying to format a Tumblr post though.

Yeah, I'm technically capable of reading/translating WNs, but it's too much of a pain in the rear end to be enjoyable. With the exception of short sentences, I usually have to sort of look over each sentence twice, plus needing to mouse over a bunch of vocab/kanji with rikai-kun. And that's not even getting into attempting to translate it into English for other people, which would require a bunch of rewording to avoid awkward phrasing, etc.

I find playing games (specifically Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4 in this case) to be easier, because there's enough of a balance between text and gameplay that I don't end up with a huge headache (in that case I'll hold my phone up to take a picture of any kanji I don't recognize). But with WNs there's nothing but the text, and it gets exhausting.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Algid posted:

Isn't Drifters about fighting the orc hordes of Dark Lord Jesus?

I think that alone makes it a less straight take than a bunch of goddess-sent reincarnators up against a regular demon king. Not that I've gone past the anime but it seems to be more a story about introducing technology.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Argue posted:

http://cmarguel.tumblr.com/post/182051814151/ascendance-of-a-bookworm-chapter-97

I don’t have time to read it now, but if you think you’ll be able to legit take this on, let me know and I’ll drop a link to redirect readers to your page. Also, for formatting, I recommend using Markdown. It’s pretty easy.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
So are orcs white people in drifters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

drilldo squirt posted:

So are orcs white people in drifters?

Two enigmatic beings pluck historical figures from our world and dump them in fantasy land in order to affect the balance of a war.

One side pulls people out just before they died and they mostly stay the same.

The other pulls people out after they have died and they come out warped and get magic powers. Joan of Arc is a little less stable after being burned at the stake and then given pyrokinesis.

Jesus, after being crucified, believes that humans rejected him and are no longer worthy of salvation. He's trying to set up an eternal monster kingdom of god.