Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

jeeves posted:

Scenario cards:

Return to Night of Zealot box + a quarter inch bit of foam along the side to make them fit, as the box is a little wide. Then print out custom horizontal dividers for stuff past night of the zealot.

Investigator cards:

Binders, sorted by class, then type of card, then release

My brother in organization! This is how I do it, and it has worked well so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
My custom dividers have a bad doodle of the symbol, alongside with whatever dumb descriptive name I happen to come. Up with. In the Forgotten Age, among others, we've had Jungle Trouble, It's a Trap!, and Snake? Snake?! Snaaaaaaaaakes!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Return to Dunwich comes out today, cards are up on arkham db

https://arkhamdb.com/set/rtdwl/list/player/name

Quick thoughts on a few of the cards: I like the new middle upgrade for Rite of Seeking. Bandolier is a little situational but body slot isn't used for much and it allows you to use other items like flashlights and the like if you're playing in a small game. Not a fan of the upgrade to Rise to the Occasion, three XP is too much for +2 icons at best to the base one, IMO (this is another case of "the opportunity cost of what you could buy instead is what makes it bad").

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I think the best thing about the new Bandolier is that it will let you hold a non-flamethrower end game weapon as well as your regular machete + utility item. Although Timeworn brand still is likely just better, and if you're not going with that Flamethrower is still probably the next best option so who knows how useful it'll actually be. Upgraded Contraband and Preposterous Sketches are also interesting/good respectively but I think the upgrades with the scenario itself will likely be the most interesting.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The upgraded "Clarify" of Mind seems like something Carolyn will appreciate; where the base one sucks, this one has an extra charge and can heal two people, triggering her ability twice, or heal two horror off of one person. 3 XP is a little costly, but she doesn't have a ton of arcane slot competition, especially if someone else took the level 0 Shrivelings.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

IcePhoenix posted:

Quick thoughts on a few of the cards: I like the new middle upgrade for Rite of Seeking. Bandolier is a little situational but body slot isn't used for much and it allows you to use other items like flashlights and the like if you're playing in a small game. Not a fan of the upgrade to Rise to the Occasion, three XP is too much for +2 icons at best to the base one, IMO (this is another case of "the opportunity cost of what you could buy instead is what makes it bad").

I mean... there's not that much opportunity cost for Survivors.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Orange Devil posted:

I mean... there's not that much opportunity cost for Survivors.

Depends on who you're playing as.

Even as Calvin (who that card is basically made for) there's still a bunch of cards I'd rather upgrade or buy before I upgrade Rise.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Depends on who you're playing as.

Even as Calvin (who that card is basically made for) there's still a bunch of cards I'd rather upgrade or buy before I upgrade Rise.

Is an interesting mid to late campaign tool for Silas as well. It gives you a fighting chance to win head or book checks while synergizing with his built in ability, and also with True Survivor which he should be taking anyway.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Was at an flgs and they had Labyrinth of Lunacy on clearance, not knowing anything about it aside from cool cover art and 3 scenarios so I picked it up. After I looked into it it seems like basically a waste for my 2-3 person group. Has anyone found a way to make it work and be fun with only a single set? I semi spoiled myself on the gimmick and it seems like if it means what I think it means, playing through the 3 scenarios without doing the special rules seems kinda dull/ repetitive without a fun resolution? If not, I only paid $8 for it so its not a big deal.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Gejimayu posted:

Was at an flgs and they had Labyrinth of Lunacy on clearance, not knowing anything about it aside from cool cover art and 3 scenarios so I picked it up. After I looked into it it seems like basically a waste for my 2-3 person group. Has anyone found a way to make it work and be fun with only a single set? I semi spoiled myself on the gimmick and it seems like if it means what I think it means, playing through the 3 scenarios without doing the special rules seems kinda dull/ repetitive without a fun resolution? If not, I only paid $8 for it so its not a big deal.

You'd need at least a core set to play it with yourself and one other player (MAYBE with a third if you're willing to make some real suboptimal decks).

e: and the core set would give you a proper three-mission campaign, too.

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 13, 2019

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Oh, yeah, sorry. I have two cores and the first deluxe box. The thing with that pack though is that it's a con thing that was a 3-12 person mega game where you each were in a different room. They made an official release, but with only one copy each room has to be done separately but i hear theyre very similar to each other and remove some if the fun gimmicks of the con version.

Edit: different room game wise, probanly just adjacent tables irl

Gejimayu fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 13, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh my god the ending to our latest campaign in The Forgotten Age

We all got bodysnatched and now I'm in a 7/7 character with 2/2/2/2 stats and like half my cards key off of being at low sanity or having an incredibly low base skill value but high actual skill value whyyyyyy

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Looking to get into this, want to get core and a big box but Dunwich Legacy is looking a bit expensive right now and my GF would like to do Forgotten Age first. We've played LotR LCG before but is this a bad idea? I hear that Forgotten Age is a bit weird compared to the earlier expansions.

Also is a second core really necessary if you're happy to proxy? Are the extra tokens and such worth it?

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

MikeCrotch posted:

Looking to get into this, want to get core and a big box but Dunwich Legacy is looking a bit expensive right now and my GF would like to do Forgotten Age first. We've played LotR LCG before but is this a bad idea? I hear that Forgotten Age is a bit weird compared to the earlier expansions.

Also is a second core really necessary if you're happy to proxy? Are the extra tokens and such worth it?

If you're willing to proxy, you definitely don't need a second core. Maybe if you were playing in a bigger group, but for two people, you won't need the extra tokens etc. From what I understand, Forgotten Age is good but yeah, messes with your expectations/rules a lot more when compared to Dunwich.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Forgotten Age is really difficult when playing blind, so normally I would recommend going with Dunwich or Carcosa first, but if it's something that interests you due to theme then go for it, just keep in mind it is a step up in difficulty from the other campaigns.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Dunwich is mechanically lamer compared to the rest due to it being the first made. Play it first.

FA sounds brutal for the first time.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I played duo FA for the first time at Xmas, as Leo, who is not the most agile dude in the jungle. So many pitfalls, snake bites, and ants everywhere. Ants!

Since Leo is 'the follower guy' I kind of just chucked in a bunch of followers with Calling In Favors, but in hindsight it probably would've been better to go with a standard guardian build and just treat his reaction as a bonus money-saver, and it's amazing for holding onto followers until you really need them since you can drop one safely with enemies present. The Treasure Hunters sure didn't do much.

Also I had to try out the M1918 BAR and it was great fun to use, but the Flamethrower was probably the smarter pick (with Well Prepared, I only saw that 'combo' mentioned here later on).

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

How big a deal is carcosa’s hidden mechanic? If it’s really important to enjoying the campaign I’ll hold off on playing it solo

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It’s not a huge deal

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Kalko posted:

I played duo FA for the first time at Xmas, as Leo, who is not the most agile dude in the jungle. So many pitfalls, snake bites, and ants everywhere. Ants!

Since Leo is 'the follower guy' I kind of just chucked in a bunch of followers with Calling In Favors, but in hindsight it probably would've been better to go with a standard guardian build and just treat his reaction as a bonus money-saver, and it's amazing for holding onto followers until you really need them since you can drop one safely with enemies present. The Treasure Hunters sure didn't do much.

Also I had to try out the M1918 BAR and it was great fun to use, but the Flamethrower was probably the smarter pick (with Well Prepared, I only saw that 'combo' mentioned here later on).

Yeah I actually found much the same thing-treasure hunters (and hired thugs for that matter) didn't do much. If they didn't cost xp they'd be fine to adaptable in/out, but as it is I don't think they're that worthwhile. Honestly I think Leo's biggest asset is the fact he basically is a guardian with a good deal of the rogue economy. He also gets Sleight of Hand which helps save on money/ammo.

Also in 4 player games, I've found Timeworn Brand to be basically the best end game weapon for anything not expert difficulty (where the huge to hit bonuses are a bit more relevant)-and even there it's competitive. I think they're really too conservative with the ammo on most weapons. In 3-4 player games, you will likely have one dude handling all the fighty stuff, and typically they're not having enough ammo to deal with 3-4 players worth of monsters. Which makes Machete and Timeworn Brand aka Machete (5) so essential-they only take one hand slot, and the lack of ammo means they're able to fight basically everything. Timeworn will even give you what amounts to ammo 1 for a super boosted attack. And of course they're ammo cards, but that's taking up more actions, resources, and deck space. Honestly that's why I like Flamethrower so much-it lets you at times get more than one kill per ammo charge, on top of having 4 (which is more than the other end game weapons besides the BAR, which is a weird case).

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
So, Forgotten Age: I'm a Yithian now

This is so loving cool and horrifying.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Who can trigger actions on enemy cards? (Parley, Investigate) Only the engaged investigator, or any player at the same location?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Anyone at the location

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Encounter cards (usually) go in your threat area.

Investigators can interact with cards in the threat area of all other investigators at the same location as them.

(almost all) Weaknesses are encounter cards.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Thanks!

Another one: When you gain control of story assets (Lita Chandler, Esoteric Formula, Daniel Chesterfield, etc), do they always start in play, or do some go to your hand/deck first? I'm wondering if they always start at the table (and potentially replace another asset in the same slot) or if they start in my hand and has to be played first?

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 21, 2019

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Investigators can interact with cards in the threat area of all other investigators at the same location as them.

I wouldn't say almost all. Basically just treacheries and enemies are encounter cards.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

I wouldn't say almost all. Basically just treacheries and enemies are encounter cards.

Weeell, 41/47 of the player weakness cards are treacheries or enemies (https://arkhamdb.com/find?q=b%3Abasicweakness%7Cweakness&sort=name&view=list&decks=player&spoilers=hide) so I think it's fine to say almost all?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Orange Devil posted:

Wait, so other people can click my (e.g.) Chronophobia or (Carcosa encounter card) Straitjacket? With some cards, like the one in spoiler tags there, that makes sense, but with stuff like Chronophobia it seems like a flavor fail.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

DontMockMySmock posted:

Wait, so other people can click my (e.g.) Chronophobia or (Carcosa encounter card) Straitjacket? With some cards, like the one in spoiler tags there, that makes sense, but with stuff like Chronophobia it seems like a flavor fail.

This is correct. Other investigators at your location can spend actions (or reactions or free actions and so on) on your weaknesses if they are encounter-type cards (Chronophobia, Haunted, etc.), but not if they're player-type cards (assets, events, skills, e.g. Baron Samedi, Daisy's Necronomicon, etc.)

As for the flavor, you could think of it as the other investigator shaking you out of it, dispelling the evil spirit, helping you search for clues as to Izzie's whereabouts, etc.

This is actually a rule I didn't really consider outside of Roland's Cover Up interaction with other investigators, and it's kind of a game-changer even though it was clarified in the very first FAQ. Thanks for bringing it up!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Zerf posted:

Weeell, 41/47 of the player weakness cards are treacheries or enemies (https://arkhamdb.com/find?q=b%3Abasicweakness%7Cweakness&sort=name&view=list&decks=player&spoilers=hide) so I think it's fine to say almost all?

I just wanted mostly to point out that someone can't say, put doom on Samedi for Marie or something. And also something like Frozen in Fear can only be tested by the person who has it because it's not an action.

But the rule in general was something we didn't know about for awhile, and tbh it really helps with a lot of stuff. Really lets you shift some of the burden of troublesome treacheries from people with bad stats in the test to those with better.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

uncle blog posted:

Thanks!

Another one: When you gain control of story assets (Lita Chandler, Esoteric Formula, Daniel Chesterfield, etc), do they always start in play, or do some go to your hand/deck first? I'm wondering if they always start at the table (and potentially replace another asset in the same slot) or if they start in my hand and has to be played first?

If you gain control during an encounter they generally go into play. Whether or not they take up a slot is determined normally, just check the lower right corner to see if they have a slot icon.

If you gain control of something after a scenario it generally goes into your deck like any other card, though some will tell you otherwise. They also don't count against your deckbuilding limits.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

This is correct. Other investigators at your location can spend actions (or reactions or free actions and so on) on your weaknesses if they are encounter-type cards (Chronophobia, Haunted, etc.), but not if they're player-type cards (assets, events, skills, e.g. Baron Samedi, Daisy's Necronomicon, etc.)

As for the flavor, you could think of it as the other investigator shaking you out of it, dispelling the evil spirit, helping you search for clues as to Izzie's whereabouts, etc.

This is actually a rule I didn't really consider outside of Roland's Cover Up interaction with other investigators, and it's kind of a game-changer even though it was clarified in the very first FAQ. Thanks for bringing it up!

Yeah the main uses are for sure Cover Up, Searching for Izzy and Hospital Debts, as well as a bunch of the action sink basic weaknesses. Angered Spirits is a great target if multiple investigators are using spells, which unfortunately tends not to be the case.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
Spoilers for the Circle Undone are unleashed now :)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It looks like more stock of the novellas is circulating now if people are interested in those.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Finished The Forgotten Age! :toot:

Next up is Return to Dunwich (First playthrough of Dunwich, but I've had the Return recommended as generally better), with another player joining in.

We forged our own path the entire way through, which led to a really brutal Shattered Aeons with both Alejandro and Ichtaca showing up to poo poo in our cheerios. Thankfully, Ursula is naturally dodgy, and Agnes was packing Mists of R'lyeh, so we were able to dance around both of them long enough to finish up the relic before it went bad. And then surprise, super-secret bonus scenario!

Fuuuck me but the Epilogue is rough. It's a great gimmick for the story, but expecting you to fight Yig and the (full health because timeywimey shenanigans) Harbinger at the same time is something else completely. We barely made it to the bit where Yig shows up, because the encounter deck was making GBS threads every single enemy at us, and Agnes couldn't find any offense. So we said screw it, Edge of Tomorrowed ourselves into a position we could actually do something from, and punched him in his stupid snake face.

Overall, TFA was a lot of fun, but it was kind of... uneven. The parts that were good were fantastic--Deapths of Yoth, City of Archives, Doom of the Eztli--but the bad parts are pretty bad--the Boundary Beyond, Heart of the Elders, the supply system handing out more trauma than it really ought to. It'll be interesting to see how Dunwich's overall flatter level is going to compare.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

Finished The Forgotten Age! :toot:

Next up is Return to Dunwich (First playthrough of Dunwich, but I've had the Return recommended as generally better), with another player joining in.

We forged our own path the entire way through, which led to a really brutal Shattered Aeons with both Alejandro and Ichtaca showing up to poo poo in our cheerios. Thankfully, Ursula is naturally dodgy, and Agnes was packing Mists of R'lyeh, so we were able to dance around both of them long enough to finish up the relic before it went bad. And then surprise, super-secret bonus scenario!

Fuuuck me but the Epilogue is rough. It's a great gimmick for the story, but expecting you to fight Yig and the (full health because timeywimey shenanigans) Harbinger at the same time is something else completely. We barely made it to the bit where Yig shows up, because the encounter deck was making GBS threads every single enemy at us, and Agnes couldn't find any offense. So we said screw it, Edge of Tomorrowed ourselves into a position we could actually do something from, and punched him in his stupid snake face.

Overall, TFA was a lot of fun, but it was kind of... uneven. The parts that were good were fantastic--Deapths of Yoth, City of Archives, Doom of the Eztli--but the bad parts are pretty bad--the Boundary Beyond, Heart of the Elders, the supply system handing out more trauma than it really ought to. It'll be interesting to see how Dunwich's overall flatter level is going to compare.

Funny, my wife and I finished TFA last night as well. We ran Ursula and Skids and managed to keep Ichtaca happy. Skids ended up turning Alejandro to paste with a Chicago Typewriter before we could talk to him. It’s a shame, because I’m pretty curious about what he (and Ichtaca) would’ve said. If we do it again I’ll want to do what you did, just to see the 9th scenario. Final note, Ursula was a monster throughout the campaign. She took the expedition journal and was easily getting 5-6 actions every turn.

Am I the only one let down by Rita’s deck building? Most tricks are already survivor cards, so her only great pickup right now is Ace in the Hole.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Prairie Bus posted:

Am I the only one let down by Rita’s deck building? Most tricks are already survivor cards, so her only great pickup right now is Ace in the Hole.

People are let down by Rita in general so I guess her deckbuilding is a part of that

My group did the penultimate Scenario for TFA yesterday. Definitely my favorite scenario in the campaign and possibly my favorite that I've done period. We ended up starting on the third agenda due to 15 Yig's fury, and also with -3 resources and no mulligan at the start. Which, due to my Indebted weakness made for a fun first couple turns :v:.

But after a bit of early struggles we found our footing and ended up taking it down to the fifth floor to win. Including a one turn mauling of Yig where we took him from full health to zero by doing 31 damage in the round between three of us. The Harbinger actually finished the scenario with less damage than when it started though, due to us only evading it and getting a bad cultist token when it was in an adjacent location once, so that was kind of funny.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 28, 2019

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Eh, a lot of these investigators going off tags had little in terms of off-faction splashes until deeper in the cycle they've been introduced in.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Lichtenstein posted:

Eh, a lot of these investigators going off tags had little in terms of off-faction splashes until deeper in the cycle they've been introduced in.

I think releasing investigators that aren't interesting to play at the beginning of a cycle is a problem.

I usually wait until a cycle is complete before starting it, which really kills momentum and excitement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, I held off on Finn thinking he’d get a similar treatment. I agree with KPC, it takes the excitement out of new releases. It sucks for a crucial level 0 card to come out halfway through the campaign. We waited until last weekend to even start TFA for that reason. Well, that and because we had a baby.