Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/rxrm80/status/1081515988082802689
There oughta be more environmental hazards like these. Car-wash brushes next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatfest Schedules :siren:

• US/AU/NZ Family vs. Friends @ January 4th 14:00 PT / January 5th 9:00 AET
  • EU Family vs. Friends @ January 4th 15:00 CET
  • JP Family vs. Friends @ January 4th 17:00 JT
Since this is a holiday special event, it will last for 48 hours.

We're half-way there.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thank god its 48 hours because I completely forgot about this starting yesterday

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This Splatfest map is pretty loving wretched. It's got the same fundamental issue Arowana Mall does in that there's only one real way to get up the hill, and if you're not stupid enough to push past the hill you've got the map locked down.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm so out of practice. Jesus Christ :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
On further thought, what makes this rotation even worse is Arowana Mall. Not just for the map itself being poo poo, but the smart players are building for a King of the Hill defense with a 2/3 chance of being in the ideal situation for it (dualies, splatlings, chargers, etc. Anything to just hold a point and shred whatever comes their way).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arowana mall is awesome.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This Splatfest map is pretty loving wretched. It's got the same fundamental issue Arowana Mall does in that there's only one real way to get up the hill, and if you're not stupid enough to push past the hill you've got the map locked down.

You can jump on that one flooder next to the center and cause a lot of problems.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

You can jump on that one flooder next to the center and cause a lot of problems.

Oh yes, the small platform that moves randomly and is in plain sight of four people just standing on the hill shooting anything that looks their way. Great place to be, especially if one of them has a Blaster :nallears:.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

In Training posted:

Arowana mall is awesome.

It’s awesome when you’re winning, which I always do, so agree.:cool:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh yes, the small platform that moves randomly and is in plain sight of four people just standing on the hill shooting anything that looks their way. Great place to be, especially if one of them has a Blaster :nallears:.

I mean, it worked for me! Friends were on cover fire with missiles and the Bloblobber, and getting people off the center was totally doable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

I mean, it worked for me! Friends were on cover fire with missiles and the Bloblobber, and getting people off the center was totally doable.

Yeah, that's the problem. For anyone not playing with actual friends who know what they're doing (which is pretty much all of the Friends side, it seems), and/or have some means of coordination, it's a complete loving bottleneck through a very narrow path that requires using Squid Form to ascend. There is zero way to do it without teamwork, while the only measure of teamwork needed for the side that got up there first is the common sense to stay on the hill and not go any further.

Frankly it's even worse than Arowana Mall.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What time does this Splatfest end EST in the US? I wasn’t able to get on today and don’t wanna miss out in the limited gear

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...that requires using Squid Form to ascend
???

There's a nice little bouncy pad there and everything. Hitting the pad at the front while holding jump lets you sail up on to the part to the right of the stairs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crawfish posted:

???

There's a nice little bouncy pad there and everything. Hitting the pad at the front while holding jump lets you sail up on to the part to the right of the stairs.

It'll land you in the same general area using the stairs would, and if they've got the center locked down anyway someone bouncing in the air is just an easy target. It is a miserable bottleneck for public matches, especially when Fam has the lion's share of competent players.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I never had that issue as a roller? I could generally bounce in there without too much of an issue and weaken their hold enough to let the rest of my team do the work.

Those stairs are definitely death though.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What time does this Splatfest end EST in the US? I wasn’t able to get on today and don’t wanna miss out in the limited gear

From my calculations, January 6th 17:00 ET. Make haste.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Every time the allied flooder closest to the center point goes left at the start of the match, I lose. Every time it goes right, I win.

I don't know what to make of this.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
*leans in close to microphone*

Marijuana Mall

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS

Dr. VooDoo posted:

To get the gear you just need be subscribed to the Squid Research Lab in the news tab. Open the Frosty Fest news article from them, then just click the button that will start the game at the bottom and the items will show up in a box in the plaza.
You might also still be able to get the Halloween items as well if your news tab hasn't pushed that article off yet

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Trump Card posted:

To get the gear you just need be subscribed to the Squid Research Lab in the news tab. Open the Frosty Fest news article from them, then just click the button that will start the game at the bottom and the items will show up in a box in the plaza.
You might also still be able to get the Halloween items as well if your news tab hasn't pushed that article off yet

You can also order the head gear from Murch. That happens by running to a person who has a gear and choosing the specific gear to order. You'll have to wait until it arrives, usually the next day.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Though the choices were pretty lame, this was a really fun Splatfest. I hope we get a few more Splatfests that change scenery around since they’re awesome.

I hope they reconsider ending them in the summer and keep doing them until a Splatoon 3. I wouldn’t even care if they just started repeating. It’s such a fun and unique mechanic. The game will feel like something is missing when they end.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 6, 2019

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
I'm coming back to Splatoon 2 after a year and some change of not playing, and I was wondering how online and ranked have changed since? I see that rank X is a thing, and Nintendo now has paid servers. Has this led to an improvement in matchmaking and in connectivity? Also, could anyone give me a quick primer on what guns and specials are good right now?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Mystery Machine posted:

I'm coming back to Splatoon 2 after a year and some change of not playing, and I was wondering how online and ranked have changed since? I see that rank X is a thing, and Nintendo now has paid servers. Has this led to an improvement in matchmaking and in connectivity? Also, could anyone give me a quick primer on what guns and specials are good right now?

Its not paid servers, its paid online. It's still peer to peer and just as bad/good, except now you have to pay for it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/nintendovs/status/1082066781550702592?s=21
Didn’t expect fam to be that much popular since I had multiple friend mirror matches.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NEWS: Team Friend wins the latest Splatfest! https://t.co/cIxOYnujR6

https://twitter.com/SplatoonNews/status/1082064697870958600

Get dunked Famailures

E - goddammit

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Geez that's a pretty wide vote margin. All those mama's boys still got rocked though :smug:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Mystery Machine posted:

Use whatever you want. Not much has changed. (Avoid Neo Sploosh and regular Goo Tuber.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wait, WHAT? :suspense:

I honestly cannot believe that Friends actually won in both categories.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Use whatever you want. Not much has changed. (Avoid Neo Sploosh and regular Goo Tuber.)

Booyah. I'm about to live my best life and main New Squiffer because I'm mentally stuck on using this weird rear end gun, then. I loved Classic Squiffer, but always felt like its kit wasn't quite right.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Manuel Calavera posted:

NEWS: Team Friend wins the latest Splatfest! https://t.co/cIxOYnujR6

https://twitter.com/SplatoonNews/status/1082064697870958600

Get dunked Famailures

E - goddammit

I thought that the people who picked friends would probably skew older, as that poo poo doesn't get great until you're old enough to smoke weed and realize your parent's low-key homophobia growing up blinded you to the fact that you wanna gently caress dudes.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Dr Cheeto posted:

I thought that the people who picked friends would probably skew older, as that poo poo doesn't get great until you're old enough to smoke weed and realize your parent's low-key homophobia growing up blinded you to the fact that you wanna gently caress dudes.

Precisely

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People who actually have friends can form teams.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People who actually have friends can form teams.

My friends don't own Splatoon though, they just laugh at me for beating up 8 year olds in it.

I regret nothing.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

why the heck are the callie and marie amiibos so expensive now

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Smiles posted:

why the heck are the callie and marie amiibos so expensive now

Supply and demand. Nintendo lowered production of amiibo, so the usual market logic kicks in. That's why you should always buy the amiibo first day.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I still kind of want the octoling trio, even though I know i'd be buying them just to open them and dump them in my amiibo box.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Supply and demand. Nintendo lowered production of amiibo, so the usual market logic kicks in. That's why you should always buy the amiibo first day.

The Pearl and Marina ones are similarly just gone.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Remebering the fallen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Remebering the fallen.