Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cyberpope v2 posted:

That's because he finally got smart enough to realize chess sucks

This reminds me of this weird dude I met a few years ago who freaked out and got a big ego about beating me at a game of chess. I played casually as a child and hadn't played a game in ten or more years.

:agesilaus: : "omg u play chess for 25 years and I beat u and I just learned the game two years ago"

:nsa: :"ok buddy"

Apparently he had been obsessed. He had a couple of chess books in his bag and everything. I declined a rematch. I only liked the game at all because of Battle Chess. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My old boss was a chess dork and always bragged about how good he was at the game, one day he challenged me to a match and I won, although I hardly ever play chess. he never mentioned chess again and got pissed whenever i brought it up

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ChazTurbo posted:

More game OSTs need to be based around funk. (I'm getting sick of orchestral arrangements).

Underrated xbox shooter metal arms: Glitch in the system had the best merchant music in any game ever.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

poverty goat posted:

who here bought fo76? name and shame

it was this guy

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

:agreed:

Check out the Rebel Galaxy soundtrack, my dude. (not funk, but also not orchestral)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
When I was a kid I bragged about how good I was at chess and got beaten in six moves.

Chess seems to be one of those things where it's like kung fu masters in martial arts movies, the braggarts are always terrible at it while the real grand masters are like quiet old men in the park or random service workers who will unleash a flying triple queen kick on you when provoked.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was just like, weird flex but okay dude. It's not like I was any kind of grand master.

poverty goat posted:

who here bought fo76? name and shame

The White Dragon posted:

it was this guy

Yep. I have found it to be a fun and interesting adventure sandbox, but a lovely "MMO". I also loving hate standard MMOs and MMO culture. So, the salt mine this game has produced is really pleasant to see. I'm a Mistress of Mystery :bigtran:

Speaking of Fallout, Brian Fargo also did Battle Chess.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 14, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I do believe no one here bought FO76.

It was required to come with by BoneX if I wanted it in white. I booted it up once, made it to the first camp, saw the mess of gauges and building poo poo the game wanted me to track and uninstalled it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Chess is weird because for a lot of people it’s a direct measure of how intelligent you are

Can’t play chess = caveman
Can’t beat me at chess = loving moron. Idiot. I’m smarter and a genius
Can beat me at chess = some sort of loving cheater/obsessed loser with no life. I don’t even play chess that much!!!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
page 420 should have been nothing but funky music posts not some chess nerd poo poo you weirdos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbfkoJiJ6YU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVs-HFotrbc

This game taught me chess as a child

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

poisonpill posted:

I don’t know what a Half-A button press means, what games it applies to, or how it relates to speedruns

here you go you imbecile :rolleyes: dork. dingus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnCfkpYBmP8

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jesus loving christ people take speedruns too seriously.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

jokes posted:

Jesus loving christ people take speedruns too seriously.

Considering he takes like 24 hours to do this I don't think it's a speedrun. It's a whole new kind of autism never before seen in the wild.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

it seems to be people who are trying to beat the game while pressing the A button the fewest number of times

why would anyone ever even think to make up that kind of challenge

why do other people seem to care about it as well

:psyduck:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We had a LP on this very forum of a guy beating Mario 64 with his feet.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

QuarkJets posted:

it seems to be people who are trying to beat the game while pressing the A button the fewest number of times

One of many videos made by this person https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZjJ0OREaA

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

My response when watching those videos rapidly oscillates between a sort of frustrated boredom and a weird kind of hesitant respect for the brain damaged conviction it must take for someone to put that much effort into something so banal.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A part of me wonders what incredible contributions could be made to, like, law or medicine or mathematics if this nerd alert dedicated even a half of his slavish devotion to Mario to something.

The internet was a mistake.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

jokes posted:

A part of me wonders what incredible contributions could be made to, like, law or medicine or mathematics if this nerd alert dedicated even a half of his slavish devotion to Mario to something.

The internet was a mistake.

please somebody hire this sperg .5aPress guy to end capitalism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He could be programming or piloting drones to more efficiently bomb weddings and hospitals

Or automating more people out of their jobs

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Or creating a cult of personality around himself and leading a totalitarian regime backed by genocide.

Of course the really funny thing is that he decided that pushing down on the button but not lifting up shouldn't count as a press of the button. That entire video is him redefining terms so he can wank about having pushed the a button ONE HALF OF A TIME FEWER!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

QuarkJets posted:

welcome to the internet, where the most inane worthless garbage becomes insanely popular

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Back in the day we had monasteries for these people so they could learn gay poo poo like writing and old scrolls about jesus and making elaborate doodles in the margins of what they imagine the outside world is like.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This guy's whole persona is pretty grating so I don't think I recommend watching this video, but if you want another example, he beats Super Mario Odyssey without ever doing something the game counts as "jumping." It's kind of a technicality, because he uses other ways to gain height that the game doesn't count as a "jump" (for purposes of counting how many times you've jumped over the course of the game) but still, he has to work pretty hard to pull it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HZ-nfMfu8o

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If i was a big fan of DK country as a kiddo, is the switch DK game that good?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

basic hitler posted:

If i was a big fan of DK country as a kiddo, is the switch DK game that good?

If it's just a port of tropical freeze then Hell yeah it's fantastic

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The fact that they haven't ported Punch Out Wii to the switch yet is a crime.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Or creating a cult of personality around himself and leading a totalitarian regime backed by genocide.

Of course the really funny thing is that he decided that pushing down on the button but not lifting up shouldn't count as a press of the button. That entire video is him redefining terms so he can wank about having pushed the a button ONE HALF OF A TIME FEWER!

He actually justifies his explanation really well though

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Harrow posted:

This guy's whole persona is pretty grating so I don't think I recommend watching this video, but if you want another example, he beats Super Mario Odyssey without ever doing something the game counts as "jumping." It's kind of a technicality, because he uses other ways to gain height that the game doesn't count as a "jump" (for purposes of counting how many times you've jumped over the course of the game) but still, he has to work pretty hard to pull it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HZ-nfMfu8o

I wish death upon this person.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I wish death upon this person.

suddenly he seems more normal than you

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ceci n'est pas une :pipe:.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
On the one hand, beating SMO without jumping is kinda amazing.
On the other, it is amazing that someone would actually do it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

QuarkJets posted:

He actually justifies his explanation really well though

It basically boils down to "Well I didn't press it IN THE LEVEL, which means that it is totally different than if I started the level and just jumped in place!" It's been a while since I saw that video, so I could be wrong here. And quite frankly I think if the guy is the only one crazy enough to play like that so whatever, let him define his scoring however arbitrarily he wants. But lets not kid ourselves here that he basically rewrote his rules so his score would shrink.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

It basically boils down to "Well I didn't press it IN THE LEVEL, which means that it is totally different than if I started the level and just jumped in place!" It's been a while since I saw that video, so I could be wrong here. And quite frankly I think if the guy is the only one crazy enough to play like that so whatever, let him define his scoring however arbitrarily he wants. But lets not kid ourselves here that he basically rewrote his rules so his score would shrink.

I mean, as I said, I find this level of internet to be hilarious, tedious, lamentable and somewhat amazing all simultaneously.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

FoolyCharged posted:

Whatever you say, TJ "Henry" Yoshi

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sardonik posted:

Whatever you say, TJ "Henry" Yoshi

lol

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018
starbucks and starfox are the same thing

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Wrong.

A full jump has you release the button, which he never does.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

Wrong.

A full jump has you release the button, which he never does.

Ah, and he can do this many times in one level? No? He can only do it once, as doing it more than once involves releasing the button and hitting it again? So that big long video was for the entire purpose of justifying his score being a negligible 0.5 lower?

He pretties it up nice, but the whole video is... yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How would that even work? The entire franchise is built around Americana and a particular alternate history where the country turns into a nightmare parody of itself. (and yes the jokes are easy) Maybe Canada might work, but otherwise everywhere else doesn't have as much to go on, unless you want to literally make a Mad Max game.

This is pedantic nerdery but in the Fallout universe Canada is annexed and part of America as of 2067 (and Mexico is occupied territory but not part of the US proper). :goonsay: