Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Reign Of Pain posted:

There has to be something wrong with the to hit reporting on Geists....I am hitting with arrows/bolts a lot more than 5% - its more like 30%....and if I use a spear its gotta be more than 1/2....I'm really just not missing them very much unless the shot is obstructed and at a good distance....And I get a lot of 1st attempt kills with my spear bro's on them

What it might be is that the to hit chance is your chance to hit *that target* not things adjacent to it. If you're shooting into a mass of geists you might hit bystander geists incidentally.

Past that,

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-our-brains-do-not-intuitively-grasp-probabilities/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I have also noticed that using the Slice greatsword move (the one that hits 2 hexes in a line) has always hit and killed geists for me if the second hex contains a geist.

AOE in general seems to hit them almost every time for me.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Unzip and Attack posted:

I have also noticed that using the Slice greatsword move (the one that hits 2 hexes in a line) has always hit and killed geists for me if the second hex contains a geist.

AOE in general seems to hit them almost every time for me.

Early modern DLC with early gunpowder and bombs when.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The first European handgonne appears when the greatsword (Oakeshott Type XIIIa) is reaching maximum popularity. Handgonnes are already being replaced by arquebuses by the time zweihanders become popular. The game is more than ready for an early modern DLC.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you think Man With Crossbow is bad, wait until you see Man With Firearm.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's a dumb little thing but I actually kind of like how badass 'real' armies/soldiers are in this game. It helps sell it that yeah, if they worked together, these people could beat the orcs/undead, too.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Does anyone fight 3+ lindwurms ever? Every attempt of mine has ended in a huge mess of casualties, even with my ridiculous day 400 company. Most strats seem to involve taunting shield tanks but I'm not convinced taunt is useful for any other fight in the game except maybe the orc warlord with a big axe.

I think this is one of the unbalanced too hard fights (others being hexe, maybe necrosavants before day 100). The natural response from video gamers is always 'just get better lol' but it's not that the fights are unwinnable, but that the risk of losses even with ideal play is never going to outweigh the potential reward, which is usually just some money you could have got by knocking down two raider camps. I would probably need a guaranteed unique item before I would even consider going after 6 lindwurms.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
So I hired another hunter and instead of ranged talents I got this guy and wonder what to do with him. Frontliner with throwing spears?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Caught in a loop of reloads against wolfriders in a dense forest. I can't retreat, and they eventually slaughter my entire lineup, no matter the component brothers. What to do?

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

So I hired another hunter and instead of ranged talents I got this guy and wonder what to do with him. Frontliner with throwing spears?

Nimble duelist imo, polearm user while levelling.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Tias posted:

Caught in a loop of reloads against wolfriders in a dense forest. I can't retreat, and they eventually slaughter my entire lineup, no matter the component brothers. What to do?

Same problem - my bros were on the way back from a bigger fight and got ambushed from all asides by a huge pack of brigands while on a forest road. In the end there were only 2 options: go back to an older save, or be prepared to lose some bros while attempting a fighting retreat to the map exits. The game is merciless at times.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 14, 2019

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

golden bubble posted:

The first European handgonne appears when the greatsword (Oakeshott Type XIIIa) is reaching maximum popularity. Handgonnes are already being replaced by arquebuses by the time zweihanders become popular. The game is more than ready for an early modern DLC.

New Crisis: Conquistadores.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
What RA is good enough for a lancer? I keep getting low 40s one star RA guys with good MA and I'm never sure if they're really going to be good enough, even with the bonus accuracy from the crossbow.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dreylad posted:

What RA is good enough for a lancer? I keep getting low 40s one star RA guys with good MA and I'm never sure if they're really going to be good enough, even with the bonus accuracy from the crossbow.

That's too low. 40 with multiple stars or 50 with a star is what I would consider the baseline.

Lancers are a very stat forgiving role besides Melee Attack and Ranged Attack but you definitely want the best possible of those 2.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 14, 2019

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Does anyone fight 3+ lindwurms ever? Every attempt of mine has ended in a huge mess of casualties, even with my ridiculous day 400 company. Most strats seem to involve taunting shield tanks but I'm not convinced taunt is useful for any other fight in the game except maybe the orc warlord with a big axe.

I think this is one of the unbalanced too hard fights (others being hexe, maybe necrosavants before day 100). The natural response from video gamers is always 'just get better lol' but it's not that the fights are unwinnable, but that the risk of losses even with ideal play is never going to outweigh the potential reward, which is usually just some money you could have got by knocking down two raider camps. I would probably need a guaranteed unique item before I would even consider going after 6 lindwurms.

You don´t need taunt as lindwurms will focus on a first thing that gets in their way which, as you said, should be a shieldtank, pref. with nimble+>80 HP, shield mastery for shieldwall spam, at least 80 FAT and MD with shield of at least 40. Next you need a backline with good reach weapons and bros with decent MA because in a wurm fight you can´t afford to whiff your attacks. A bowman with overwhelm is nice but not mandatory. In fight wurms will try to position their tail next to your bros while the head snaps from distance. Have your shieldbros shieldwall next to tail and start wailing on tailpart with your reach weapons, focusing them down one at a time because they have a crapload of HP and armor. Last, you need a bit of luck because while wurms (as well as unholds) have crap accuracy, when they do land that 10% chance then first hit will destroy armor, second will give a heavy injury (or kill, if consecutive headshots) and third will definitely kill a bro. Tail doesn´t have a zone of control so rotate injured bros out if you can afford it. I have won fights with up to 4 wurms with this setup with no losses, once you get a hang of how to deal with them they´re not that hard, only tedious. Though I agree, six might be pushing it.

As for rewards, before first crisis wurm contracts (in settlements, not the noble ones) usually pay in 2000- 4000 range and if loot includes lindwurms hoard or two then thats a big chunk of crowns. High risk tho.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if I have a bug or not.

It's been a while since I ran a duelist, I thought I remembered an icon appearing in the row of bluffs like Nimble or Dodge but my new attempt at a duelist doesn't have one. He has a one handed weapon, a free off-hand, and the perk but no icon.

Am I misremembering or bugged?

SickZip fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 14, 2019

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I already had one weird bug in this campaign. The Noble crisis was going on, I accepted a mission to raid and the end crisis event fired a split second after I did except the text showed the variable names instead of the name of the band. The opposing allegiance armies and towns stayed hostile but all their forces stopped moving and just idled in place in the map.

Once I completed the mission, the end crisis event fired again and things seemed to go back to normal.

Disgusting Coward posted:

New Crisis: Conquistadores.

That would be cool. Humans are the best enemies so another human themed crisis would be very good. Make it like Sunset Invasion and have a bunch of Aztec themed dudes with guns show up on the coast.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Anyone else getting item disappearing bugs and poo poo about now?

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

Tias posted:

Put as many brothers in reserve as possible and leave highest def to run for their lives from the get-go. Even if all brothers die this will let you retreat without full losses. I usually have only lost one of my bros when I've had to do this though

Edit: Also put any good weapons/uniques in stash and use dog distraction if possible.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

brakeless posted:

Hammerstein posted:

Nimble duelist imo, polearm user while levelling.

This. Remember that duelist also works for throwing. Them javelins bring pain :blastu:
I have a duelist mace/throwing dual spec that is kicking rear end. Neglected to put recover on him, so he doesn't do it for very long, but man, give him one of them recover potions and tons of javelins, no one is safe :black101:

E: Except Skellington, but for him, bring ax and story is still good

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
How about some theory crafting?

If you were to find a huge brute killer on the run say, with stars in MA, MD, and Fat. How would you build him? I'm either leaning axe duelist for +50% head damage, 2h axe for more head hits, or the new 2h flail for massive head bashes and a chance for stun.

If he was not a killer on the run, but still a huge brute, I'd lean towards getting head hunter, but a killer on the run and perhaps a juggler may do without it? Perhaps with no bonus to hit head, take 2h axe and head hunter for more consistent damage?

Speaking of axes, I also have a team player bro with a 2h axe swinging for the trees with friendlies next to him at times. No unwanted hits yet, but one day the wrong man's head is going to come off, I just know it. Anyone experimented with this?

E: Sorry for the double post

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 15, 2019

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

If you were to find a huge brute killer on the run say, with stars in MA, MD, and Fat. How would you build him? I'm either leaning axe duelist for +50% head damage, 2h axe for more head hits, or the new 2h flail for massive head bashes and a chance for stun.
Probably 2h axe.
I generally don't like Brute, Killers on the Run or uniques that give an extra chance to hit the head because while that bro might hit the head half of the time your other bros don't. And either way spreading out damage more is not really that appealing to me even considering the extra damage.
But with the 2h axe you're going to hit the head anyway and do enough damage to body and head to get rid of a lot of armor, which makes spreading damage much less of a problem.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

If he was not a killer on the run, but still a huge brute, I'd lean towards getting head hunter, but a killer on the run and perhaps a juggler may do without it? Perhaps with no bonus to hit head, take 2h axe and head hunter for more consistent damage?

Speaking of axes, I also have a team player bro with a 2h axe swinging for the trees with friendlies next to him at times. No unwanted hits yet, but one day the wrong man's head is going to come off, I just know it. Anyone experimented with this?

E: Sorry for the double post

I wouldn't even bother. Killer on the Run only adds a chance to hit the head out of a normal attack, if you're already hitting the head it's a stone 0. Also Killers are poo poo.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Gridlocked posted:

Also Killers are poo poo.
Unfortunately true. I've never had one that didn't try to murder another bro within a few days. And their stats aren't that good either. Also, they're rare to begin with, so getting a Huge Brute Killer, no matter how good that combination is in practice, is incredibly unlikely unless you use BB-Edit.
In general, though, if I get a Brute that has good enough MD to be a two-hander I'll make him an axe man for the guaranteed head hits.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Wizard Styles posted:

I generally don't like Brute, Killers on the Run or uniques that give an extra chance to hit the head because while that bro might hit the head half of the time your other bros don't. And either way spreading out damage more is not really that appealing to me even considering the extra damage.
Hmm, fair point. I was thinking of setting this guy up specifically to do head damage consistently, more or less requiring him to select targets and kill them by himself, like the murdering bastard that he is. Of course going after someone in a full plate helm may not be the best choice, but them noble sergeants tho :smuggo: Circumstantial build, but I'm not quite ready to let go of a head crit build. Hmm... hammers for guaranteed armor penetration and then that gets multiplied?

Wizard Styles posted:

Gridlocked posted:

Also Killers are poo poo.

Unfortunately true. I've never had one that didn't try to murder another bro within a few days. And their stats aren't that good either. Also, they're rare to begin with, so getting a Huge Brute Killer, no matter how good that combination is in practice, is incredibly unlikely unless you use BB-Edit.
In general, though, if I get a Brute that has good enough MD to be a two-hander I'll make him an axe man for the guaranteed head hits.
I've had a few decent ones that behaved. Think I had to whip one that tried to pull a murder, but he behaved after that. I see what you mean though. 2H axe on a brute is likely far more consistently viable.

My main build idea here though is to make someone like a an early game flail dude that bashes heads, only actually viable late game. If I find someone with brute I'll probably make him an axe duelist with head hunter and see how it goes. I shall rant about my disappointments in this thread later probably.

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 16, 2019

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
The issue with guys with a +% to hit the head is iirc it doesn't increase the to hit chance of attacks that target the head, it increases the chance to have a normal attack like a sword swing hit the head instead. So using a 2h axe with something like split man won't make a difference.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Gridlocked posted:

The issue with guys with a +% to hit the head is iirc it doesn't increase the to hit chance of attacks that target the head, it increases the chance to have a normal attack like a sword swing hit the head instead. So using a 2h axe with something like split man won't make a difference.
Ooo, well this is interesting. So jugglers and killers just has a flat bonus to headhunter sort of. My brain is not too functional today, but that might mean that with headhunter it would at least be possible to get most attacks that hit be a head hit, at least with +% to hit head items as well. Now I want to make a full team of head hunters...

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Ooo, well this is interesting. So jugglers and killers just has a flat bonus to headhunter sort of. My brain is not too functional today, but that might mean that with headhunter it would at least be possible to get most attacks that hit be a head hit, at least with +% to hit head items as well. Now I want to make a full team of head hunters...

Feelycraft: Waste of a perk, you'd get more consistent damage out of a normal guy.

Dreamcraft: You get a guy with +% to hit the head, with brute and 3 stars in weapon skill/weapon defense AND a good starting base state of weapon skill; you get a artifact 1h axe, sword or hammer with a maxed +% to hit the head bonus; duelist and the stam to sustain decent amour

And even then, assuming max rolls. You have lets say 10% from killer, 10% from the axe and 15% from head hunter which is only a 35% bonus to whatever the base rate is on your first swing.

So interesting but not perfect, you'd have to be pretty lucky to get there and even the question is how much more damage on average would that specific situational build give to a normal one.

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

Gridlocked posted:

... Also Killers are poo poo.

What are killers normally bad in? I've had real good luck with them and have been picking them up as I can.

Wizard Styles posted:

Probably 2h axe.
But with the 2h axe you're going to hit the head anyway and do enough damage to body and head to get rid of a lot of armor, which makes spreading damage much less of a problem.
The spread issue is why my last killer brute became my dagger master. :kheldragar:

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Gridlocked posted:

And even then, assuming max rolls. You have lets say 10% from killer, 10% from the axe and 15% from head hunter which is only a 35% bonus to whatever the base rate is on your first swing.

"Base chance to hit the head is 25%, modifiable by weapons (i.e. flails, billhooks, etc), perks (Head Hunter) and Character Backgrounds (Killer on the Run, Juggler)."

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

CrowdControl posted:

What are killers normally bad in? I've had real good luck with them and have been picking them up as I can.

They are fairly uncommon, their base stats aren't as sure a bet as other bro's of a similar price bracket (Buy More Brawlers), and they have generally negative events including a potential fight that can straight up wipe you're party if you're not prepared.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 16, 2019

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

ccubed posted:

"Base chance to hit the head is 25%, modifiable by weapons (i.e. flails, billhooks, etc), perks (Head Hunter) and Character Backgrounds (Killer on the Run, Juggler)."

This then makes for a 50% base chance for a KotR to strike the head with a 2H flail, +15% every time he strikes the body. Had some hedge knights bash through 2 bro's padded kettle hats in one turn using that one. Is nasty. I'm making some head hunters the minute I find viable bro material, even though they would probably be better with a greatsword :v:

Gridlocked posted:

They are fairly uncommon, their base stats aren't as sure a bet as other bro's of a similar price bracket (Buy More Brawlers), and they have generally negative events including a potential fight that can straight up wipe you're party if you're not prepared.

Yea, they're like daytalers with -5 resolve and some bad events. Though I don't really mind them nobles picking a fight. Much dagger party to be had. Besides, what Black Company does not have few runaway killers in their line? :black101:

E:

quote:

(Buy More Brawlers)
Brawlers are awesome. Especially when you have 8 of them and meet a band of hexen with no minions. Leave the weapons and go punch evil grandmothers :toot: Brawlers getting to punch each other is just an added bonus :hfive:

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 17, 2019

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Big ol update! They totally reworked everyones favorite Alpseseseseseses

quote:

Update 1.2.0.24

This update brings a rework of everyone’s favorite opponent, the Alp, and fixes a couple of more obscure bugs.

The Alp
In reworking the Alp, we wanted to have fighting them feel more varied and interesting than up to now, but at the same time not compromise their theme or identity. The Alp is a nocturnal predator that haunts you with nightmares and feeds off of it, and fighting it is supposed to have a puzzle-esque aspect to it as you navigate a maze of nightmares. In order to achieve the above, we’ve changed the mechanics of the Alp quite fundamentally.

Alps no longer inflict the ‘Sleeping’ or ‘Nightmare’ status effects – those are gone. Instead, they cast the new ‘Realm of Nightmares’ spell on ground near your men. Any tile such affected has the boundary to the world of dreams erased for two turns, which allows living nightmares to manifest and haunt your men.

Nightmares are a new type of opponent that goes down with just one hit, but whose attacks always hit and ignore armor. The more resolve a character has, the less damage they’ll take from these attacks. A single hit doesn’t do terribly much damage in any case, but nightmares can slowly eat away at your men’s sanity, health and morale. If the ‘Realm of Nightmares’ effect runs out, the living nightmares will also fade from the world.

With the new Alps, you’ll have to face off against nightmares holding you in place and damaging you a bit more literally, but you’ll also be able to get use out of more skills, perks and equipment than with the previous incarnation, and battles should end up feeling more varied and faster-paced. They’re also a bit less unique than before, which is a price to pay, but should still feel unique enough compared to fighting all other opponents in the game.

Changelog for 1.2.0.24
Changed mechanics of Alp. See above for details.
Changed AI to perform better when defending with and against ranged units.
Changed Black Monolith to always drop the Emperor's Countenance as loot again when destroyed. It's no longer dropped as loot by the Conqueror himself, as players might retreat from battle without realizing that this meant that the armor would be lost forever.
Fixed some legendary locations potentially getting sucked into nearby combat without the player having to first unlock them properly via event dialog. Requires a new campaign to take effect.
Fixed game potentially not continuing as characters with equipped wardogs get devoured by a Kraken.
Fixed Kraken sometimes not dropping loot.
Fixed issue with necromancer twist of 'Root Out Undead' contract.
Fixed player strength calculation for scaling purposes not always updating properly.
Fixed another cause for combat between AI parties on the worldmap potentially not ending.
Fixed issues with characters retreating without properly taking into account all opponents that can catch up with them, and thus taking improper routes.
Fixed potential issue with contracts not continuing properly after losing your entire deployed roster in battle, but still having people in reserve to carry on with.
Fixed various minor issues.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That sounds cool, I might start a new campaign. Have they done anything about mega-unfair multiple hexen + schrats / unholds fights etc?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Shouldn't Eunuchs be immune to Hexen?

I kind of "liked" original Alps as a very rare change of pace, I get why they did that, but it was interesting to have a whole different puzzle (that you solved with dogs). I guess now they're ephemeral necromancers?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Original Alps were just so slow and annoying to fight. It wasn't all that bad in the early game when there's just 3 or 4 in a pack but a later game fight against 7+ in bad terrain was the worst thing ever and a sufficiently large pack could just arbitrarily kill you randomly if you rolled poorly and they spaced their sleeps right to get your guys before they could spread out

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

ZearothK posted:

I kind of "liked" original Alps as a very rare change of pace, I get why they did that, but it was interesting to have a whole different puzzle (that you solved with dogs). I guess now they're ephemeral necromancers?

I didn't mind the old alps. Bit of a slog with 16 of them, but I always got through without losses. Even have a houndsmaster for a high resolve dog to gnaw on them.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm glad they're changing alps. They were tedious and boring as hell.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

RabidWeasel posted:

That sounds cool, I might start a new campaign. Have they done anything about mega-unfair multiple hexen + schrats / unholds fights etc?

I had some luck with the AI and a hexen unhold fight. My poor guy was likely to die to the next unhold smash and collapse my line. He gets charmed suddenly no unhold punch and then he gets to freely move away from the thing because the ai decided he was now going to chase my anti hexen archer team who were out of range anyway. Thanks AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

ZearothK posted:

The problem with alps was that if you figured out how their ability works, they stopped being a challenge at all. Their sleep attack was an area attack with the radius of 1 and also they couldn't use it on an empty hex. Incidentally, you usually had only enough APs to move one tile and wake someone up. This meant that to be safe, you have to scatter your bros to always leave an empty tile between them - an alp could then only make one of them fall asleep and there was always someone around to wake them up.

This meant that proper fights with alps were long and tedious, especially in the forest. You mostly lost soldiers by getting bored and trying to speed things up, which lead to an isolated group being hit with sleep and slowly scared to death. This was the exact opposite of fun and I'm glad they decided to rework the monster.