Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

No no wario is from the wario series, warioware is different

Besides, if we got anyone from the wario series it should be captain syrup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

tithin posted:

https://www.cdkeyhouse.com/pre-orders/2577-resident-evil-2-biohazard-re-2-steam-cd-key.html

has anyone used these guys before? That's pretty cheap and I'm tempted to buy this straight up, but I don't wanna get ripped off (or rip someone else off by proxy)

cdkeys is a key reseller. people put up their unwanted keys to make a little money. That said, the keys can come from anywhere and it's entirely possible they might come from stolen credit card information. Do what you will with that info. If it's too good to be true then it probably is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Looper posted:

check out kid icarus

I don't know if you're saying Kid Icarus is worse or better but Kid Icarus actually has level design so it's a step above original Metroid.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wamdoodle posted:

cdkeys is a key reseller. people put up their unwanted keys to make a little money. That said, the keys can come from anywhere and it's entirely possible they might come from stolen credit card information. Do what you will with that info. If it's too good to be true then it probably is.

yeah that's my concern - i had just hoped that maybe they were legit and the keys had fallen off the back of a lorry or something

alas, I will probably be paying full price.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Wamdoodle posted:

That's cdkeyhouse.com, not cdkeys.com

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

tithin posted:

yeah that's my concern - i had just hoped that maybe they were legit and the keys had fallen off the back of a lorry or something

alas, I will probably be paying full price.

Greenman gaming has it for 26% off and they are legit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

al-azad posted:

I finally beat the first Metroid after having it as an ambassador game since 2012 and frankly I hated it! Even from a 1986 perspective it's a poorly designed game with no actual level design and loads of poo poo flying at you. It's easily the worse first game in a Nintendo flagship franchise.
I loving love the first Metroid and think it's honestly pretty underrated. What I came to learn is that you really have to try to beat it one sitting so you don't have to deal with starting with low health constantly. Otherwise I think it controls great (if a little floaty) with some of the best music on the system, especially for that period. There's a certain logic you can start to see in the overall layout that is actually a lot simpler than at first glance, and make it not even that hard to beat without a map once you sort of get a feel for it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

al-azad posted:

I finally beat the first Metroid after having it as an ambassador game since 2012 and frankly I hated it! Even from a 1986 perspective it's a poorly designed game with no actual level design and loads of poo poo flying at you. It's easily the worse first game in a Nintendo flagship franchise.

Have you played Fire Emblem

Looper posted:

check out kid icarus

He said flagship

Kid Icarus is not that bad

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kid Icarus is pretty bad tbh. Ice Climber too.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I think ice climber would be more well remembered if it were an arcade game. Bigger sprites, better music, more reason to get points

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think NES Metroid is a lot more fun your first time if you draw a map (and maybe look up where to get the Varia Suit and an energy tank or two)

and if you enjoy it at all it's worth trying to improve your times to get the better endings because it's a lot of fun planning out a route to beat it in under an hour

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This is the appropriate reaction to receiving a R.O.B

https://twitter.com/AllieRX/status/1083975310234796033

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If the site is not on isthereanydeal.com it is probably grey market or worse

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

as far as gray market goes, I've used g2a before. they have good prices on keys a lot of the time

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

grieving for Gandalf posted:

as far as gray market goes, I've used g2a before. they have good prices on keys a lot of the time
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-22-g2a-under-fire-for-charging-users-for-not-logging-in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmU4Zy_45gU

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 14, 2019

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lmfao I don't know if I have an account there, but I'll check. thank you

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

G2A and Kinguin are both shady as gently caress.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
It's only a matter of time until Steam starts taking away your precious cards for inactivity

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I know people are starting to get annoyed at all the different game launchers on PC but I for one am glad for it. Valve has turned into a fat, slovenly beast (hi gaben) who release crappy TCGs and its about time they were devoured.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

don't know if you keep up with the steam thread itself but epic games launcher may not be the messiah you're looking for

https://twitter.com/mtrc/status/1084776151237754880

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cowcaster posted:

don't know if you keep up with the steam thread itself but epic games launcher may not be the messiah you're looking for

That sounds lovely, for sure. I don't really think Epic is going to be the savior of PC or anything, but it's already starting sniping games from Steam. Even crappy competition is competition and Valve desperately needed someone to light a fire under their asses because they stopped trying years ago.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

That seems optional so I don't really see much of a reason to care

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I loving love to be influenced. What game should I buy?

Lots of folks (kids?) in Splatoon have "subscribe to Pewdiepie" in their billboard pictures and it bums me out. They're being influenced :cry:

I played through all of Ace Combat 4 over the weekend and that's a really cool game. There's a youtube video that goes into what settings to select to get it running beautifully in pcsx2 if, like me, your ps2 is long dead.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jolo posted:

I loving love to be influenced. What game should I buy?

Hollow Knight

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

but who influences the influencers.......

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Soros...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The weird thing about Metroid's map layout is that all the super important items (ice beam, wave beam, high jump, varia suit, I think even screw attack) are located in the area directly above Ridley which is harder than Kraid's level that's located down and around the start area, but Ridley is piss easy and Kraid is kind of tough especially if you have the ice beam and accidentally freeze his spikes.

The metroids themselves weren't as difficult as I was expecting, people have long hyped them up as these super monsters but even without the varia suit I only lost maybe 1 energy tank if they latched on. Mother Brain was loving impossible, I created so many restore points because those laser donuts would knock me into the lava and you have a tiny platform to not touch Mother Brain if you fall in.

I would love to see what Metroid 2 would've been like on the NES instead of Gameboy. Keep the nonlinearity and alien levels, add in the intelligent enemy and encounter design from Super Metroid because all these erratic Medusa Head rear end enemies just don't cut it!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Andrast posted:

That seems optional so I don't really see much of a reason to care

They don't intend on building in any other discoverability features, so if a smaller profile indie wants to get more recognition on the store they can look forward to negotiating with streamers about how much of their cut they're willing to give up, all on a platform whose original pitch leaned partially on the fact that Epic's cut was gonna be smaller than Valve's.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

They don't intend on building in any other discoverability features, so if a smaller profile indie wants to get more recognition on the store they can look forward to negotiating with streamers about how much of their cut they're willing to give up, all on a platform whose original pitch leaned partially on the fact that Epic's cut was gonna be smaller than Valve's.

So it's terrible like steam except just in a different way

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yep that's the gist of it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does anybody just like. Browse a digital store. Who does that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In Training posted:

Me, but in the same way I browse Netflix; laughing at all the terrible looking poo poo and then after 20 minutes not watching anything.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i flip through the sales tab on steam sometimes to see if anything's on sale that i want, but i'm not using the steam store to find recommendations

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When I’m restless or otherwise depressed, I do sometimes browse the steam store page, thinking “Please, let me spend my money to dull this ennui, let me impulsively buy something”, genuinely. Then I buy an Ubisoft game for near full-price and regret it later that week

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I actually use the recommendations thing and do occasionally find something neat that had no marketing or fanfare because of it. That's maybe happened twice, though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If I don't browse Steam how will I find games to tell Jim Sterling to go play

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Jay Rust posted:

When I’m restless or otherwise depressed, I do sometimes browse the steam store page, thinking “Please, let me spend my money to dull this ennui, let me impulsively buy something”, genuinely. Then I buy an Ubisoft game for near full-price and regret it later that week

I keep a wishlist of cheaper indies for this reason, so if I try to buy my way out of ennui I just end up dropping a 20 on Obra Dinn or something

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

Me, I do

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

Hollow Knight

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You've also got issues with Epic and not knowing what they do with your data. At least with Valve you can rest comfortably knowing that they're too loving lazy to do anything with it. :v: