Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Since Oly released the E-M5 II, Fuji has released the X-T10, X-E3 and X-T20. Oly does a horrible job of filtering their sensors down to the mid-range bodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

curried lamb of God posted:

Since Oly released the E-M5 II, Fuji has released the X-T10, X-E3 and X-T20. Oly does a horrible job of filtering their sensors down to the mid-range bodies

XH1, XT3

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Oly wants you all to buy the EM1mkII instead of some theoretical new EM5. It's only the same price as an X-T...[looks at X-T3 price on B&H]. Uh. Hmm... Well, it's got IBIS, so maybe it'd be better to compare it to the X-H...[looks at X-H1 price on B&H]. Oh drat, X-H1's are on sale right now.

Still, Oly arguably has a great product in the E-M1mkII. Its IBIS probably beats Fuji and Sony's. I'd rather have one than a Panasonic G9, but that's probably a personal preference.

The Pen-F should be the mid-level M43 camera that everyone wants, but the lack of weather sealing is kind of a bummer when so many of the users going with Oly cameras are taking them on adventures.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I pulled an EM1 Mk2 for $1250 from greentoe.com back in Oct, so I'm sure that price is gonna keep dropping in the coming months.

Been really enjoying it and been trying to use the hi-res mode for landscapes as much as possible. I know I don't need to, but I really like the results and hate the idea of leaving quality on the table when I could have gotten better.

If the new EM1X didn't have that bulky built-in battery grip, I'd buy it for the handheld hi-res ability alone.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I can't help but think of Olympus as the Pentax of mirrorless cameras (yes there's the K-01, but still): ahead of the curve when it comes to in-body stabilization; high-grade environmental sealing even on midrange bodies; full of customization options. But for whatever reasons, Olympus and Pentax aren't getting as much market share as one might think considering all the cool things they can do. I hope the EM1-X or whatever is a success, or at least enough of a marketing draw that they'll release an E-M5mkIII and/or a Pen-F with weather sealing and better video specs.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 14, 2019

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Apparently there are coming two more bodies in 2019 and one of them is supposedly a Pen F 2.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'd buy a Pen-F 2 if it was weather sealed and had USB-c charging, that thing is a dead sexy design and maintains the low profile + "old & worthless film camera look" I desire whilst backpacking for months out of a 25L rucksack.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I can't help but think of Olympus as the Pentax of mirrorless cameras (yes there's the K-01, but still): ahead of the curve when it comes to in-body stabilization; high-grade environmental sealing even on midrange bodies; full of customization options. But for whatever reasons, Olympus and Pentax aren't getting as much market share as one might think considering all the cool things they can do. I hope the EM1-X or whatever is a success, or at least enough of a marketing draw that they'll release an E-M5mkIII and/or a Pen-F with weather sealing and better video specs.
I can only speak of the old fogies at my local camera club, but there's a lot of them moving to m43 for weight saving and they're all going with Olympus not Panasonic. Also when new people turn up and haven't been in to photography, they seem to be quite in to m43/Olympus too.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Rime posted:

I'd buy a Pen-F 2 if it was weather sealed and had USB-c charging, that thing is a dead sexy design and maintains the low profile + "old & worthless film camera look" I desire whilst backpacking for months out of a 25L rucksack.

They’d need to make new, tiny and weather sealed lenses as well for that to be a proper win IMO. A weather sealed combo consisting of a Pen 2 and 17mm 1.8 would rock.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Oly lenses are great, I haven't been impressed with panny lenses except for the Leica designed ones. Oly runs a ton of sales on their bodies too which is how most of my friends wound up with one.

Rime posted:

I really don't wanna go to Sony, but every time I load a landscape these days I imagine how good it would look if printed poster sized at 30+mp rather than 16.

imagine how good it would look at 80 mp hand-held long exposure with your em1xxx :getin:

as a bonus you can use your same lenses

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I’m one of the old dudes who moved to m43 for the reduced weight. I backpack with my em5, 17, and 12-50. I don’t need one but would like to see a new version of the em5 body.

I want the 12-100 for travel but I am overly concerned it will be too bulky and heavy to carry.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

I want the 12-100 for travel but I am overly concerned it will be too bulky and heavy to carry.

It's 20 oz/560 grams, and honestly for that focal range, aperture, and in-lens IS, that's pretty light.

E: Honestly, I've been super tempted by one myself but I've already got the 40-150mm f/2.8, which is definitely larger, but has always worked well for me.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

DJExile posted:

It's 20 oz/560 grams, and honestly for that focal range, aperture, and in-lens IS, that's pretty light.

E: Honestly, I've been super tempted by one myself but I've already got the 40-150mm f/2.8, which is definitely larger, but has always worked well for me.

How giant is the 40-150mm in real life?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

How giant is the 40-150mm in real life?

It's just under 2 lbs (about 880 grams). It's not light, but it's very well built and takes a beating. Doesn't have in-lens IS, but being f/2.8 it still gets pretty good shutter speeds in most light. It's easily been my favorite walk-around lens, but I usually stick to the longer end of things anyway.

This being said, I'm a big dude (6'6") and this with the EM1mk2 and battery grip fits my hands great. It would definitely fit awkwardly without a battery grip and be pretty front-heavy.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Xabi posted:

They’d need to make new, tiny and weather sealed lenses as well for that to be a proper win IMO. A weather sealed combo consisting of a Pen 2 and 17mm 1.8 would rock.

Eh? Pen-F is an M4/3 mount so it'd take the OMD lenses no?

Seems like the 2.0 rumor was debunked anyways. :(

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
my E-M10, 12-40 and 15mm are really all I need, I've just been wanting to upgrade to a mid-range body for weather sealing (and because the camera is kinda beat up) but the E-M5 II isn't that big of a step up

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Apparently the XH-1 with grip (new) can be found for $1299 on B&H now.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
Honestly, if these images are the real deal, then relative to the hand in the third one I don't think the E-M1X is as obscenely huge as it looks on its own. It looks just large enough to be semi-proportionate to the more weighty telephoto lenses wildlife and sports types use (which as has been mentioned, is likely to be the primary market), but about the same size or perhaps even a tad smaller than the E-M1 II with a battery grip.

While I'm certainly not in the intended market for this, I'm still very excited to see the final featurelist and if any new features might trickle down to upcoming iterations of the other Olympus lines.

Mostly unrelated to that, I went from my super basic Canon T5 to the GX85 at the beginning of December (what with all the deals that were floating around for the two lens bundle) and I've been loving this camera. The size difference has done wonders for how willing I am to actually go out in public with it or carry it around on the off chance I'll see something I want to shoot. A lot of the common features in mirrorless cameras like dual IS and an EVF and so on are thing I didn't think I needed until I had them. Rangefinder styling has been a plus, as I do prefer to use my right eye. I've seen people say mixed things about the kit lens, but both my copy of the 12-32 and 45-150 lenses have been quite nice and at the very least I couldn't see myself ever selling off the 12-32 unless they iterated further upon the pancake zoom concept. Next on my list is to figure out which primes I want, but I'm leaning towards the 20 1.7 (don't think I'd care for a 25, 50-equivalents have never done it for me) to start and then eventually picking up the 15 1.7 and 42.5 1.7 when I have more money to blow.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Something doesn't look right about that last image.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

THe EM1-x looks a lot like the old E-5 back from their DSLR days, but yeah on the whole it seems like the same size as the EM1-mk2 + grip.

Rumor sites have hinted at this AI-based adaptive autofocus system, to basically lock onto a moving subject based on its size and position, which sounds neat as hell but I'd have to hear more about it.

And yeah size wise that would fit very well with the 40-150mm f/2.8 and the 300mm f/4. Thought I also saw they had something like a 150-400mm f/4 in the works too.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

DJExile posted:

It's just under 2 lbs (about 880 grams). It's not light, but it's very well built and takes a beating. Doesn't have in-lens IS, but being f/2.8 it still gets pretty good shutter speeds in most light. It's easily been my favorite walk-around lens, but I usually stick to the longer end of things anyway.

This being said, I'm a big dude (6'6") and this with the EM1mk2 and battery grip fits my hands great. It would definitely fit awkwardly without a battery grip and be pretty front-heavy.

Not terrible but I don't know if I would want it in my backpack. Travel already involves carrying my iPad, camera, batteries, scuba regulators and computer, and miscellanious travel gear so even the 12-100 doesn't sound appealing but its not a giant difference.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

Not terrible but I don't know if I would want it in my backpack. Travel already involves carrying my iPad, camera, batteries, scuba regulators and computer, and miscellanious travel gear so even the 12-100 doesn't sound appealing but its not a giant difference.

oh yeah, no this would be way too huge for backpacking in most cases

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

At this point my dream camera is a 28mm equivalent X100 with weather sealing. What kind of sucks is even if I were to spring for an X-Pro 2 there's no water resistant small/pancake lenses, the XF23mm is the most compact. I'd be quite interested in a weather sealed PEN but the lenses aren't there either.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
If Oly made weather sealed Pen-F I'd be concerned that it would get chunkier as well. My Pen-F has gotten snow and rain, still alive *fingers crossed*

The only other wishlist feature I can think of would be phase detect AF.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Rime posted:

Eh? Pen-F is an M4/3 mount so it'd take the OMD lenses no?

Seems like the 2.0 rumor was debunked anyways. :(
I meant alongside a weather sealed new version of the 17mm. A tiny and sexy weather sealed combo.

I’m not sure if we’ll see a new version of the Pen F but I still believe.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

qirex posted:

At this point my dream camera is a 28mm equivalent X100 with weather sealing. What kind of sucks is even if I were to spring for an X-Pro 2 there's no water resistant small/pancake lenses, the XF23mm is the most compact. I'd be quite interested in a weather sealed PEN but the lenses aren't there either.

Comedy option: buy a Ricoh gr/gr ii, and instead of weather sealing buy another gr/gr ii, for the same total size/cost.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fools Infinite posted:

Comedy option: buy a Ricoh gr/gr ii, and instead of weather sealing buy another gr/gr ii, for the same total size/cost.

I am definitely keeping an eye on the GR III but if it's like the first 2 it has the opposite of weather sealing.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

qirex posted:

This but with a tilting lcd. Please, Fuji!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

frogbs posted:

This but with a tilting lcd. Please, Fuji!

Yeah, that too. My cat picture game is suffering.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

qirex posted:

The xf16/2.8 is going to be sealed and comparitively small, at least as small as the xf23/2 by the look of it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://www.adorama.com/alc/sony-announces-the-new-a6400-a-24-2mp-aps-c-mirrorless-camera-with-real-time-eye-af-real-time-tracking-more

New a6400, looks neat. 24.2mp aps-c sensor, and sony boasts the fastest auto focus speed in the world at 0.02 seconds, along with real time eye tracking powered by ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE. Probably bs but hey the body is $900 which seems reasonable.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 16, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The 6400 looks neat but they're following Sony tradition by releasing a camera with 0 new lenses.

sildargod posted:

The xf16/2.8 is going to be sealed and comparitively small, at least as small as the xf23/2 by the look of it.

It still looks at least 1/2" longer than my X100 with a lens hood and the cap.

I know at some point I'll go interchangeable but I'd like it if my "walk around" lens was as small as possible, it's just A Thing for me. One of the things I love about the X100 is it's so unobtrusive.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

qirex posted:

The 6400 looks neat but they're following Sony tradition by releasing a camera with 0 new lenses.

Yeah, I already feel like a sucker for staying in the system as long as I have (NEX-5T; a6000; a6300).

I do need more artificial intelligence in my camera, though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I do need more artificial intelligence in my camera, though.
Now I'm imagining a little feed of like bubbles in your viewfinder, the shutter releases at spikes in the live social media attention histogram [you don't need the color histogram anymore, we solved it with ai]

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

qirex posted:

It still looks at least 1/2" longer than my X100 with a lens hood and the cap.

I know at some point I'll go interchangeable but I'd like it if my "walk around" lens was as small as possible, it's just A Thing for me. One of the things I love about the X100 is it's so unobtrusive.

Have you consider the X70 with an optical viewfinder?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tino posted:

Have you consider the X70 with an optical viewfinder?
No EVF is why I didn't consider it in the first place. Plus that fragile fisheye sticking of of the top would ruin my whole low profile, throw it anywhere vibe. I only use the OVF in my x100 for fun, I leave it in electronic mode [and I wish it would stay in place].

My perfect camera doesn't exist and I'm cool with that for the moment, it's just annoying because some that are out now are so close.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Updated rumored specs on the EM1X, notably the hi-res shutter speeds

43Rumors posted:

Name: E-M1X OMD camera
Sensor: 20MP (not global shutter)
Frame rate: 18fps
7.5+ EV stabilization
2 TruePic VIII processors
2x the processing speed of the E-m1II
Autofocus: Adaptive and expandable focal points. Two examples. If you are shooting a person, then shift to shooting a car, the number of focal points will automatically expand. If you are shooting a basketball player, you will get a vertical series of 5 focal points.
Body Size: 144.37 x 146.765 x 75.345mm (body with a built in vertical grip)
High Res: Can shoot handheld High Resolution images (around 80MP) at 1/60s (slowest possible is 1/20s).
Photography focus: Sports and Wildlife shooters
Same batteries as E-M1 Mk II
Live electornic ND filter
built in GPS, thermometer and barometer
Larger EVF
Price: Close to $3,000
Launch: January 24… along “2 tele zooms, 1 wide angle zoom. speedlight. zuiko binoculars”

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

CodfishCartographer posted:

sony boasts the fastest auto focus speed in the world at 0.02 seconds,

Stupid question, how can the body determine auto focus speed, when the motor doing the actual focusing is in the lens? I mean the calculation probably happens in the body, but wouldn't the mechanical movement always be the bottleneck?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Lawson posted:

Stupid question, how can the body determine auto focus speed, when the motor doing the actual focusing is in the lens? I mean the calculation probably happens in the body, but wouldn't the mechanical movement always be the bottleneck?

The motor that focuses is in the lens, but the processing that recognizes and confirms focus is in the camera. A good example of this in action is how the Fuji X-T3 focuses markedly faster than the X-T2 even with the same lenses because it can confirm focus much more quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The motor that focuses is in the lens, but the processing that recognizes and confirms focus is in the camera. A good example of this in action is how the Fuji X-T3 focuses markedly faster than the X-T2 even with the same lenses because it can confirm focus much more quickly.

Yeah AF speed is one of those "little of column A, little of column B" things, but it's ultimately on the body more than anything.