Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Senor Tron posted:

Do people have guesses for the end of the season? If it's anything like the last two finales things are gonna get shaken up a lot again.

I've given up on predicting what this show is about - after episode 1 of season 3 I thought we were going to have a season of Adam Scott messing with the humans, and that was one episode. If you told me that it would take 10 episodes for everyone to die, go to the good place, and find out capitalism was the real problem all along there's no way I would have believed it, even knowing how fast season 2 moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
My guess is Michael gets to set up a neighborhood as a "temporary Good Place" for people with positive scores (but not good enough to get into the actual Good Place) while the problem is looked into.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Piell posted:

My guess is Michael gets to set up a neighborhood as a "temporary Good Place" for people with positive scores (but not good enough to get into the actual Good Place) while the problem is looked into.

The Okay Place

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Senor Tron posted:

Do people have guesses for the end of the season? If it's anything like the last two finales things are gonna get shaken up a lot again.

They have name dropped Rawls and the Veil of Ignorance in a few interviews, but it hasn't come up on the show yet. My guess is that one of the concepts they cover when trying to fix the points system, or replace it entirely.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

I don't actually think this is the case but it would be pretty funny if they've never actually left the bad place and Michael is still torturing them. Maybe they'll do a fakeout.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

qirex posted:

Maybe they'll do a fakeout.

That would be bad. Please stop suggesting ideas that are bad when the show is, in fact, good.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

To elaborate, if they did that at this point it would establish that Michael and the Bad Place demons have such a ridiculous control over reality and the humans' perception that there would literally never be a reason for the humans to ever attempt to fight back. It would immediately suck any kind of tension or narrative potential out of the show because it would always just be about "wow these Bad Place guys are still doing the zaniest poo poo to trick these humans yet again"

Also it would directly contradict a bunch of stuff that happened that even the humans didn't know about, that wasn't for the benefit of them being tortured and wouldn't make sense if they still were being tortured all along.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Also it would directly contradict a bunch of stuff that happened that even the humans didn't know about, that wasn't for the benefit of them being tortured and wouldn't make sense if they still were being tortured all along.
Yeah, that's just what they want you to think!!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

WampaLord posted:

The show definitely wants you to read into it more and clearly wants to prompt discussions about ethics and morality, so just dismissing it as being free of deeper meaning seems misguided.

That said, the constant goony derails about "how can 500 years mean 500 years" are extremely tiresome and the show definitely does not want to prompt those kinds of discussions, which is why they gave us Jeremy Bearemy, the ultimate explanation/joke.

It does, because Jeremy Bearimy doesn't explain actual time discussion in that way and also because it's more fun to discuss the show than to just say nothing. Why are you here if you don't want to talk about it?

I think the person who said that Michael will reboot it all and become "God" and this is the first time around and we're the second is a pretty good shout.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It turns out that the entire cast of the show "The Good Place" is demons and it is we, the audience, who they are getting to torture each other in this thread, the real Bad Place, by incessantly bringing up timeline discussion.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Taear posted:

It does, because Jeremy Bearimy doesn't explain actual time discussion in that way and also because it's more fun to discuss the show than to just say nothing. Why are you here if you don't want to talk about it?

I do want to talk about the show, but I don't want to have the same conversation over and over about what does 500 years mean?

It means 500 years. Now we can talk about the show!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

WampaLord posted:

I don't want to have the same conversation over and over

Jeremy Taearimy.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Whiz Palace posted:

That would be bad. Please stop suggesting ideas that are bad when the show is, in fact, good.
This is a sitcom and that could be a very Schur-ey throwaway joke.

What I like about this show is the fact that they're willing to blow the whole premise up on a near-weekly basis. After 3 seasons I feel like the current story has picked up a bunch of complex lore baggage that they'll probably want to somehow dispose of or clean up at the end of the season, like how at the end of season 1 we find out we know nothing about the actual good place and at the end of season 2 everyone's alive again and we have no clue where they're going. I'd guess this business at IHOP with the judge will result in another kind of big change. Have the creators ever said this show has a planned end date?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

qirex posted:

This is a sitcom and that could be a very Schur-ey throwaway joke.

What I like about this show is the fact that they're willing to blow the whole premise up on a near-weekly basis. After 3 seasons I feel like the current story has picked up a bunch of complex lore baggage that they'll probably want to somehow dispose of or clean up at the end of the season, like how at the end of season 1 we find out we know nothing about the actual good place and at the end of season 2 everyone's alive again and we have no clue where they're going. I'd guess this business at IHOP with the judge will result in another kind of big change. Have the creators ever said this show has a planned end date?

I think Schur's been quoted as saying he's got a plan for 5 seasons or so, with an ending.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

emgeejay posted:

I think Schur's been quoted as saying he's got a plan for 5 seasons or so, with an ending.

That sounds nice and complete to me. 7 seasons is for star trek shows that take two seasons to get going.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I do want to talk about the show, but I don't want to have the same conversation over and over about what does 500 years mean?

It means 500 years. Now we can talk about the show!

I do. Why can't they just say the number of the year and sort it out please thank you.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Taear posted:

I do. Why can't they just say the number of the year and sort it out please thank you.

If they said "The last person to enter the afterlife was in 1492" you would just complain that that is meaningless because there is no present.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

oh jay posted:

If they said "The last person to enter the afterlife was in 1492" you would just complain that that is meaningless because there is no present.

I absolutely wouldn't, because that'd make total sense. Even if 2196 and 1300 are happening simultaneously for the afterlife you still know nobody entered the Good Place who was born after 1492 in the "real world".
Michael can still be mad that 1400 years would mean loads of time that he'd have to wait around for something to happen and we can still know that time is different in the real world and in the afterlife.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Taear posted:

I think the person who said that Michael will reboot it all and become "God" and this is the first time around and we're the second is a pretty good shout.
Michael's going to destroy it all and the crew are his Four Horsemen; Indecision, Vanity, Trash, and Jason

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Whalley posted:

Michael's going to destroy it all and the crew are his Four Horsemen; Indecision, Vanity, Trash, and Jason

Michael and Janet together, but yeah this completely works for me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's basically Paradise Found - Instead of the Fall of the Former-Angel-Turned-Demon Lucifer, it's the Rise of the Former-Demon-Turned-Archangel Michael.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

It's basically Paradise Found - Instead of the Fall of the Former-Angel-Turned-Demon Lucifer, it's the Rise of the Former-Demon-Turned-Archangel Michael.

I did note to myself that Michael is an archangel's name.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Exploitation and capitalism is sending everyone to hell, so the gang needs to go back to earth along with supernatural powers and usher in the immortal science.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

silvergoose posted:

I did note to myself that Michael is an archangel's name.

It's probably the cleverest bit of misdirection the show had at the start - I totally took for granted "Oh hey, he's a Heaven admin and named after an angel, that's cool." and never thought on it further. Never guessed that he'd be a demon as a result.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Baronjutter posted:

Exploitation and capitalism is sending everyone to hell, so the gang needs to go back to earth along with supernatural powers and usher in the immortal science.

S4 spoiler:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

S4 spoiler:

Fully automated? Ugh. That's, like, easily the third worst kind of luxury gay space communism.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Taear posted:

Because Jeremy Bearimy. Do you need us to draw you a diagram?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

tarlibone posted:

Fully automated? Ugh. That's, like, easily the third worst kind of luxury gay space communism.

So you're one of those artisanal luxury gay space communism hipsters :rolleyes:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Taear posted:

I absolutely wouldn't, because that'd make total sense. Even if 2196 and 1300 are happening simultaneously for the afterlife you still know nobody entered the Good Place who was born after 1492 in the "real world".
Michael can still be mad that 1400 years would mean loads of time that he'd have to wait around for something to happen and we can still know that time is different in the real world and in the afterlife.

Under that interpretation every human after 1492 through the end of time is in Hell and has been tortured for possibly multiple lifettimes and counting. The way the show is treating time is half-baked nonsense, but the way you want it to be is much much worse.

Or maybe not, because Jeremy Bearimy

oh jay fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 15, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Jeremy Bearimy was literally a joke written by a writer who was tired of the over-complicated nonsense Mike Schur was coming up with to explain time differences. There is no sense to it because not even the writers can make sense of what Schur is trying to say.

The answer to how time works on The Good Place is it's a comedy show, just go with the jokes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Strawman posted:

I'm not a hipster. I was into artisanal luxury gay space communism way before it was cool. Hell, back then, we didn't even call it artisanal. It was just luxury gay space communism.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

oh jay posted:

Under that interpretation every human after 1492 through the end of time is in Hell and has been tortured for possibly multiple lifettimes and counting. The way the show is treating time is half-baked nonsense, but the way you want it to be is much much worse.

Or maybe not, because Jeremy Bearimy

I mean yea, that's the actual real interpretation anyway. Every human from 1492 is being tortured until the end of time.
Nobody after that date has gone into the goodplace. The reason I want them to say it that way is because people might think otherwise and find it somehow less bad I guess.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
The fact that there’s a hell were you’ll be tortured for eternity for actions during a limited time will always suck, no point system can salvage that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ZZZorcerer posted:

The fact that there’s a hell were you’ll be tortured for eternity for actions during a limited time will always suck, no point system can salvage that.

Look, you're provided with a book of rules that you need to follow, so really it's your own fault if you end up there. (Also the book has been passed down through thousands of years of sometimes-corrupt humans, and also there's a bunch of books that might be the real one, and there's a bunch of weird and outmoded passages in there that seem really immoral, so good luck with those.)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Who let /r/athiesm leak?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Phenotype posted:

Look, you're provided with a book of rules that you need to follow, so really it's your own fault if you end up there. (Also the book has been passed down through thousands of years of sometimes-corrupt humans, and also there's a bunch of books that might be the real one, and there's a bunch of weird and outmoded passages in there that seem really immoral, so good luck with those.)

this arguement is deconstructed in the first ep

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Taear posted:

I mean yea, that's the actual real interpretation anyway. Every human from 1492 is being tortured until the end of time.
Nobody after that date has gone into the goodplace. The reason I want them to say it that way is because people might think otherwise and find it somehow less bad I guess.

I think I'm understanding what I'm not aligned on you with. It's your definition of "after"

Is it your understanding that humans from the years 1492 to 2018 are going to hell?

Or is it that that humans from the years 1492 to X are going to hell, where x is a completely arbitrary time because the present in the real world doesn't exist?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Strawman posted:

just lol if you dont hand-squeeze your artisanal luxury gay space communism every morning (by strangling fascists)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Piell posted:

Everyone gets dumped into Mindy's Medium Place and she's miserable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Harrow posted:

Everyone gets dumped into Mindy's Medium Place and she's miserable

Depends on how much she gets to gently caress (it's probably a fuckton)