Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

oliwan posted:

It's a bit redundant to ask for the "point" of a fashion accessory op. They have as much point as any other style item. The point is that the wearer thinks it looks good. Like, I wear a hat (cap) 100% of the times, including inside, which has no "point" beyond that I like the style.

It's because you're balding op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Incidentally, Balding at the Berghain is the name of my screamo band.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
TIL that a government shutdown unfortunately does not extend to the US ambassador's continuing attempts to prop up right-wing extremeists and threaten German companies with sanctions.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Smirr posted:

Quick question here: what the gently caress is the point of those Wollmützen that end above the ears and make the wearer look like a combination Hafenarbeiter / Stricher? Like, hats can have two points: (i) providing shade, (ii) warming your ears. Good job, idiots. Those hats went into style in Berlin a couple of :airquote:winters:airquote: ago and I kept waiting for them to die, but now I see that basically the entire male student population of Köln is rocking those things, and ugh. Get the gently caress off my lawn 1-meter-wide sidewalk with loose tiles

kids these days, am i right

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Sulla Faex posted:

kids these days, am i right

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Hast Du schonmal in Erwägung gezogen, die Erfahrungen nach dem Umzug aus einer abgewrackten ostdeutschen Kriegsruine in eine moderne, wenn auch rheinländische, Studentenschaft in Westdeutschland in einem Blog zu dokumentieren?

Kulturschock in Kolonia, oder so.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Randler posted:

Hast Du schonmal in Erwägung gezogen, die Erfahrungen nach dem Umzug aus einer abgewrackten ostdeutschen Kriegsruine in eine moderne, wenn auch rheinländische, Studentenschaft in Westdeutschland in einem Blog zu dokumentieren?

Kulturschock in Kolonia, oder so.

That's this thread, and so far my interim summary on Köln is "a bit like Kassel, but slightly bigger and with a slightly worse Straßenbahn"

well, except that people here are genuinely friendly, while people in Kassel are all like "und wofür sitzt DU ein?", and people in Berlin are [redacted]

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Whoa, you just shot up a few places on Randler's posting enemy list.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Smirr posted:

and people in Berlin are redacted

Huh, I wish

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Let's see what the premium section of Zeit is up to these days.

:chloe: Business as usual, I see.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Besorgnistrollieren? Besorgniserregend und damit besorgungsverhindernd.

Heiße Wegnahme: der beste deutsche Bezahljournalismus derzeit ist der Premium-Feed von Auf Ein Bier/The Pod. Ändert meine Meinung!

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Whoa, you just shot up a few places on Randler's posting enemy list.

Why would making GBS threads on Köln move me up his enemy list? As far as I'm aware, Randler maintains correct thought re: Köln

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Smirr posted:

Why would making GBS threads on Köln move me up his enemy list? As far as I'm aware, Randler maintains correct thought re: Köln

I believe the "Kölner are actually friendly people" bit will not sit well with Randler.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

oliwan posted:

Also watch out, because in my experience 100% of people who don't see the "point" of certain clothing items, or who openly criticize what other people are wearing have horrible tasteless fashion sense themselves. Don't be that guy!!!

Says the guy who shames people for wearing nice watches. Ironicat alert!

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I believe the "Kölner are actually friendly people" bit will not sit well with Randler.

Oh, ok. Well I mean they really are, though. Maybe too friendly, like I guess when Karneval rolls around I'll just kill myself preemptively

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wengy posted:

Says the guy who shames people for wearing nice watches. Ironicat alert!

I don't shame people for wearing nice watches op. However, I do shame people for wearing expensive watches, because it's dumb and bougie as hell.

The same is true for other kinds of jewelry btw.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

oliwan posted:

I don't shame people for wearing nice watches op. However, I do shame people for wearing expensive watches, because it's dumb and bougie as hell.

The same is true for other kinds of jewelry btw.

:hai:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
AKK lässt schonmal einen Plan für die anstehenden Wahlen im Osten erkennen: Wenn man dort nur brav genug CDU wählt, dann sorgen wir dafür, dass die Alten sich noch mehr Parties auf Kosten der Jungen erlauben dürfen. :thumbsup:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Rentengeschenke zur Wahl. Mal was Neues.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gatac posted:

Besorgnistrollieren? Besorgniserregend und damit besorgungsverhindernd.

Heiße Wegnahme: der beste deutsche Bezahljournalismus derzeit ist der Premium-Feed von Auf Ein Bier/The Pod. Ändert meine Meinung!

"Stay Forever" is more fun! But otherwise I like it a lot, except when Jochen has some pet theory and won't back down, never discouraged by facts or Recherche.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Decius posted:

"Stay Forever" is more fun! But otherwise I like it a lot, except when Jochen has some pet theory and won't back down, never discouraged by facts or Recherche.

Ja, da könnten seine Gegenspieler einmal öfter gegensteuern. Aber ich höre ja auch Kack- und Sachgeschichten, gegen das Gekabbel dort ist Auf Ein Bier ja ein gar niedlichst dahinplätscherndes Kaffeekränzchen.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://www.zeit.de/politik/deutschland/2019-01/luftwaffe-bundeswehr-f-35-us-tarnkappenbomber-eurofighter

quote:

Die interessanteste Option ist ein Kauf des F-35 – das modernste Tarnkappenkampfflugzeug der USA, Indienststellung 2015. Der Beschaffungspreis der F-35 liegt zwischen der F-18 und dem vergleichsweise teuren Eurofighter. Die Kosten für Unterhalt und Flugbetrieb dürften absehbar die des Eurofighters nicht übersteigen. Entsprechende Kostenvergleiche wurden beispielsweise in Dänemark bereits angestellt. Die Leistungsfähigkeit des F-35 ist jedoch ungleich höher.

Why in the world would anybody think this is a good ide...

quote:

Marcus Faber ist FDP-Abgeordneter im Deutschen Bundestag und Mitglied im Verteidigungsausschuss.

Oh, right.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

https://twitter.com/olivernmoody/status/1084740646928297985

:itwaspoo:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

This reads like a rather level-headed article that looks at the question "Which platform should replace the Tornado after 2025". That's six years from now, and the Europeans seem to have missed the opportunity for a homegrown solution. The Tornado is among other roles a fighter bomber capable (and certified) to be part of NATO's nuclear sharing program.

The author says "buy some F35 to stay in this NATO program", work with the French on FCAS and modify the Eurofighter to fill in other roles. This doesn't seem like the most stupid idea ever, as it is a commitment to NATO, which seems more important than ever, throws the French a bone with the Eurofighter and stays on course for the more longterm approach to an European solution.

Would have looked better in gold leaf.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Einbauschrank posted:

This reads like a rather level-headed article that looks at the question "Which platform should replace the Tornado after 2025". That's six years from now, and the Europeans seem to have missed the opportunity for a homegrown solution. The Tornado is among other roles a fighter bomber capable (and certified) to be part of NATO's nuclear sharing program.

The author says "buy some F35 to stay in this NATO program", work with the French on FCAS and modify the Eurofighter to fill in other roles. This doesn't seem like the most stupid idea ever, as it is a commitment to NATO, which seems more important than ever, throws the French a bone with the Eurofighter and stays on course for the more longterm approach to an European solution.

The main argument of "it'd be cheaper than the Eurofighter" is somewhat undercut by the issue that the Eurofighter has the dubious honor of being quite possibly the only project that ended up being a greater procurement boondoggle than the F35. Not to mention that the F35 has a history of putting out cost estimates that could charitably be called "optimistic". The problem remains that going for the F35 would still be stupendously expensive while delivering a set of capabilities that are either overkill or of limited value for the Bundeswehr, while tying itself to a supplier with a history of cost overruns and unreliability.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

F-35 ist trotz seiner Probleme die beste Lösung.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Perestroika posted:

The main argument of "it'd be cheaper than the Eurofighter" is somewhat undercut by the issue that the Eurofighter has the dubious honor of being quite possibly the only project that ended up being a greater procurement boondoggle than the F35. Not to mention that the F35 has a history of putting out cost estimates that could charitably be called "optimistic". The problem remains that going for the F35 would still be stupendously expensive while delivering a set of capabilities that are either overkill or of limited value for the Bundeswehr, while tying itself to a supplier with a history of cost overruns and unreliability.

That's not what I read from the article. The main argument seems to be that the EF

quote:

Der Eurofighter ist ein wendiges Jagdflugzeug – und kann nicht einfach für Atomwaffen umgebaut werden. Zudem wird auch er viel zu schnell von feindlichem Radar entdeckt. Ob unsere amerikanischen Verbündeten ihn überhaupt als Träger ihrer Atomwaffen zertifizieren würden, ist völlig offen, im Zweifelsfall wollen sie der Bundeswehr lieber Modelle ihrer eigenen Rüstungskonzerne verkaufen.

If the EF is even worse than the F35 in terms of Kostendisziplin I don't see how this speaks in favour of a remodelled EF. If Europe is supposed to do without US support in the future the Bundeswehr will need to step up its game and to learn a few new tricks, so the capabilities of the F35 could prove to be useful as a training ground.

The main argument from the article isn't costs anyway, but that the EF isn't cleared to succeed the Tornado in its role as a nuclear platform and it is not assured it ever will get that clearance from the US.

Augengeradeaus even doubts it could be done at all in time:
https://augengeradeaus.net/2018/11/fuer-den-kalender-entscheidung-ueber-tornado-nachfolge-bis-jahresende/

The clearance for nukleare Teilhabe is an important part of the considerations of the Bundesregierung. Which is probably why Faber stresses this point.

https://augengeradeaus.net/2019/01/entscheidung-ueber-tornado-nachfolge-steht-noch-aus/#more-32336

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 14, 2019

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Einbauschrank posted:

That's not what I read from the article. The main argument seems to be that the EF

If the EF is even worse than the F35 in terms of Kostendisziplin I don't see how this speaks in favour of a remodelled EF. If Europe is supposed to do without US support in the future the Bundeswehr will need to step up its game and to learn a few new tricks, so the capabilities of the F35 could prove to be useful as a training ground.

Oh, that wasn't meant to say that continuing the EF would necessarily be a better solution. Just that "this option is (probably) less expensive than the most expensive option in existence" is by itself not much of a plus.

One option that seemed oddly absent could be the Saab Gripen E from our northern neighbours. That one's got a very respectable weapons payload (greater than the F35, IIRC), is largely NATO compatible, and is significantly cheaper than either EF or F35. Though I dunno how that'd work with nuke-certification or if there'd be any political issues in the way.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Lol f35 um den tornado zu ersetzen, holy poo poo

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
alright hear me out:

no new fighter jets, at all :)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Just buy some nukes from our friends in red, white and blue (don't care which ones) disband the military entirely and just nuke whoever's uppity. Just thinking about the savings should get the fdp wet.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Rechtsextreme bekleben Redaktionsgebäude und Parteibüros
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/medien/ib-medien-rechtsextremismus-1.4287046

Kann mir einer sagen was die SPD mit "links" und "Gewalt" zu tun hat? Da hat die Identitäre Bewegung ziemlich daneben geschossen

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BabyFur Denny posted:

Rechtsextreme bekleben Redaktionsgebäude und Parteibüros
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/medien/ib-medien-rechtsextremismus-1.4287046

Kann mir einer sagen was die SPD mit "links" und "Gewalt" zu tun hat? Da hat die Identitäre Bewegung ziemlich daneben geschossen

Chances are they actually wanted to do it to a Linke office, but were too chicken because there might have been actual Antifa around.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
https://twitter.com/titanic/status/1084765633827520512?s=21

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ughh ... you gonna have to give away good and services for people to take that

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

ughh ... you gonna have to give away good and services for people to take that

I appreciate the Kommentariat immediately going for the right kind of Currywurst discourse.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Perestroika posted:

One option that seemed oddly absent could be the Saab Gripen E from our northern neighbours. That one's got a very respectable weapons payload (greater than the F35, IIRC), is largely NATO compatible, and is significantly cheaper than either EF or F35. Though I dunno how that'd work with nuke-certification or if there'd be any political issues in the way.

Since the idiotic thing that the EF buy in Austria was we know that the reason Saab doesn't get a consideration is that they don't pay enough Schmiergeld compared to Eurofighter and US companies.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

I recommend a stopover in TFR's AIRPOWER thread here. The topic was recently discussed there at some length. The thing about the F-35 is that it was a disaster in development but now that the drat things are flying, you're getting to the part of the curve where costs are going down and you know you're gonna have logistics for it because most US allies are all-in on that sucker. You're getting a lot of bang for your buck and if you want we can all collectively pretend the -B doesn't exist. (Also the Gripen as a bomber, are you making GBS threads me. Take a look at the payload and then say that again with a straight face.)

Trust me, I don't like the F-35, I think it's the epitome of triumphing by just throwing money at the problem, but it makes no sense to not get it for the nuke role. If we were talking pure fighters, I could see the case for Gripen or a Rafale. But that's not what we're after.

Dehumanize yourself and face to Lockheed.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Why exactly do we need a bomber anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I realized something today while talking about Nazis with my year 9 class. The kids are mostly super anti-nazi ("wenn ich ein Nazi sehe schlag ich ihm den Kopf ein" lol), but they are also racist, sexist and think oppression can be justified, etc. So, it dawned on me that a lot of German kids are being taught about fascism in such a way (mostly by their parents I mean) that they should never be a nazi, because it's not salonfähig to be one. However, the underlying causes are not seen as fascist, because actual Nazis are such an insane otherworldly evil to them, that they don't make the connection between that and their fascist ideas. Therefore it's perfectly normal for them to be insanely racist, and also insanely anti-nazi. They think because they are not Nazi's (and to them they are obviously not Nazi's) they can't be evil, so all of their opinions on oppression are also acceptable.

Discuss.