Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kitchner posted:

Or alternatively you age Kes and she feels she more experienced than any other okampa she's ever known but Janeway says she can't promote her or anything because she's only been there a year.
it would be interesting if it was like the salarians in mass effect. they have an average lifespan of thirty or something, but really fast metabolisms to the point that they perceive time faster than everyone else. so they seem to humans like tgey are talking in a garbled blur, when to them they are going "do. you. think..." check the slow pudding man is still alive "that. we. should. open. that" checks watch " filing. cabinet?" and then stand there agonisingly awaiting the human dragging itself through an answer

the idea of kes making captain inside a year while ensign kim has yet to attain a single pip is hilarious though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

it would be interesting if it was like the salarians in mass effect. they have an average lifespan of thirty or something, but really fast metabolisms to the point that they perceive time faster than everyone else. so they seem to humans like tgey are talking in a garbled blur, when to them they are going "do. you. think..." check the slow pudding man is still alive "that. we. should. open. that" checks watch " filing. cabinet?" and then stand there agonisingly awaiting the human dragging itself through an answer

the idea of kes making captain inside a year while ensign kim has yet to attain a single pip is hilarious though

The Salarian lifespan is 40 years, but yeah I love that idea. In a better show, and let's be honest; with a better actress, Kes would've started off as a naive kid and have the audience watch her spend her entire life on Voyager. She also would've been a good character for early "what are these Earth social concepts" stories, because she learns at a fast enough rate you can string those B-plots sequentially through the first few season in the equivalent of her teens, and have her start throwing them back at the crew in later seasons when the morals fray a little because they're alone in the Delta Quadrant and Hard Choices Are Made. By the end she's an elderly woman of seven years old, and you give her a nice death scene sometime near the end of the series because they aren't getting two more seasons and this story needs an ending.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Future Odo was right to change the Defiant's flight plan so the present-crew doesnt get biffed back in time, and framing the 8000 or so people as "dying" is stupid because you could just as easily argue that by going back in time they're killing just as many potential people and *faaaaart* that episode was bad

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Danaru posted:

Future Odo was right to change the Defiant's flight plan so the present-crew doesnt get biffed back in time, and framing the 8000 or so people as "dying" is stupid because you could just as easily argue that by going back in time they're killing just as many potential people and *faaaaart* that episode was bad

Not as bad as the time they rehashed exactly the same time paradox, except gently caress you it's also a Keiko episode

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Danaru posted:

towards the end i thought there was going to be an accident and the quantum anomaly was going to split the ship at a quantum level, duplicating it into two ships, one outside the anomaly and one inside it 200 years in the past. it would have been cool to end the episode from the perspective of the crashed crew realising that the crew who made it off the planet will never know that they survived but split, so they make sure that messages get passed down the generations so that it will always transpire that way.

but no, the good writers were asleep that week

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Kes could have been the show's Wesley Crusher/Data, except she's not treated as exceptional, in that way. The Ocampans perhaps could be incredibly quick learners of knowledge and skills and are impressionable towards incorporating/imprinting new perspectives and ideas into their own as as a side effect/survival trait of their short lives/rapid aging.

Once on the Voyager, Kes having to deal with the fact that maybe Starfleet regulations puts a limit on how fast she'd ever be able to advance in any rank at a time, but she ends up holding multiple specialties and degrees in fields like Xenobotany, Xenobiology and Medicine that would be on par with someone who'd been in Starfleet for 10+ years after just a year or so.

We could even get to a point where the Doctor starts to feel challenged/threatened by her, as his only purpose to exist is to be an EMERGENCY medical hologram. After a year or so, she's capable enough to operate independently for most minor problems and the crew feels more comfortable with her than him, discovering they've had him deactivated for nearly 2 months not because they've not had the need for a doctor, they've just not had a need for HIM.

He, like Kes, could share a similar problem: They have a unique sense of mortality compared to the rest of the crew. For her, it's a short lifespan compared to them. For him, it's a series of short bursts into existence before being ended, again.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Look who showed up on MASH.

Did a double take as I didn't expect her to be that old.

slime_golem
Jul 14, 2011

At this rate, the American dollar won't be worth the foreskins they're printed on.

Just got to the sauciest scene in all of Voyager.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

nuclearBarbarian posted:

Just got to the sauciest scene in all of Voyager.

That's one of the better Voyager episodes. Sadly, not even Q could save Voyager from not sucking.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

shame on an IGA posted:

Not as bad as the time they rehashed exactly the same time paradox, except gently caress you it's also a Keiko episode

Our daughter went feral in the wilderness alone for most of her life. We could take steps to change the timeline so that never happens.

Keiko argues that this is morally wrong for reasons that make no drat sense.

The feral teen agrees and fixes the timeline.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

our feral kid could be sent to a hospital to be rehabilitated

orrrrrr we could throw her back into the wilderness

yes, the wilderness is empirically the better option, because ????

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PenisMonkey posted:

Speaking of chug, anyone think Odo has allowed himself to be ingested to see what it’s like to get poo poo out of someone?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
odo could eat himself and poo poo himself out if u really think about it

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Odo could transform himself into a small family and serve himself up for Thanksgiving dinner and poo poo himself out of multiple anuses at once

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The latest Orville episode was really loving good. If you don't think you're digging Orville, give it a try. I think it's season 2, episode 3. It happens to feature Picardo and Billingsley.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

how good is Picardo at portraying the galaxy's smarmiest man

what a lege

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nuclearBarbarian posted:

Started watching The Orville the other day and I'm on the fourth episode.

I was seriously considering quitting after"About A Girl" where the writers show they don't know the difference between biological sex and gender. Now I'm on the bioship episode and I had to take a break because a character makes a "joke" reference to Friends.

I'd really rather be watching Voyager again.

Individual Orville episodes are not always as strong as I would like them to be, but a lot of episodes are as good as some of the best you could expect from TNG and even the mediocre episodes become canonical reference points for better episodes later. The show is serialized without losing TNG's "jump right in at any point" feel. It's a fine line to walk.

IMO the best episodes are the ones where they don't try to be funny. I'm willing to bet McFarlane wanted to do a serious TNG-style show but the network insisted that any show with his name on it had to be a "comedy," thus the halfhearted attempts at humor peppered throughout.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

FabioClone posted:

Speaking of chug, anyone think Odo has allowed himself to be ingested to see what it’s like to get poo poo out of someone?

simplefish posted:

"Computer, one alcodol, jello-shot, fruity."

Alternately, jellodo-shot

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

simplefish posted:

Alternately, jellodo-shot

The Great Drink

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

FabioClone posted:

The Great Drink

The ocean becomes the shot, the shot becomes the ocean.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Get Scotty a spaceship, he's gonna drink the Founders

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/dreamgrave/status/1084685636852989953

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Get Scotty a spaceship, he's gonna drink the Founders

The kegstand equivalent of that guy who crashed his ship into a dead star and reignited it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol they're doing a Section 31 show because of course they are

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...medium=referral

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Snow Cone Capone posted:

lol they're doing a Section 31 show because of course they are

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...medium=referral

Anyone producing a show where Section 31 are the good guys doesn't get what Section 31 is supposed to be about.

You're not supposed to cheer for them to win, you're supposed to be a little swayed by their argument before the morally righteous on screen character makes you feel guilty for thinking "Hey sometimes the ends do justify the means".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean it could be the kind of show that forces you to examine the motives behind each group's thinking and make your own conclusions

It won't be, but it could

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kitchner posted:

Anyone producing a show where Section 31 are the good guys doesn't get what Section 31 is supposed to be about.

You're not supposed to cheer for them to win, you're supposed to be a little swayed by their argument before the morally righteous on screen character makes you feel guilty for thinking "Hey sometimes the ends do justify the means".

This is the fandom that gets nearly universally turned on by Nazi lizardmen op

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

6/9 statistical probability

this whole episode is a lot to take in

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

shovelbum posted:

This is the fandom that gets nearly universally turned on by Nazi lizardmen op

Yeah judging by the youtube community lots of trekkies are just nazis in waiting so it makes sense that CBS's focus groups would tell them this is a good idea

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I mean it could be the kind of show that forces you to examine the motives behind each group's thinking and make your own conclusions

It won't be, but it could

You know most people would side with the secret space police, though. That's the takeaway from well-written fascists: people empathize with them, weirdly more often than actually incredibly good characters.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nuclearBarbarian posted:

Started watching The Orville the other day and I'm on the fourth episode.

I was seriously considering quitting after"About A Girl" where the writers show they don't know the difference between biological sex and gender.

What if in the future there is no difference? The mocclan sex reassignment procedure seems to be routine and easy. The human doctor doesn't object that it would be difficult to change the sex of the baby, just that there is no reason to do so.

They can grow a completely functional replacement leg in under a week, there's no reason to think growing a new reproductive system would be much harder. A little gene therapy to get your XX or XY the way you want, then grow replacement organs if necessary so you can have a completely functional reproductive system to match.

Their baby won't grow up as a trans-male. He's just male. Changing both sex and gender is a trivial procedure the mocclans apparently do all the time.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Brawnfire posted:

You know most people would side with the secret space police, though. That's the takeaway from well-written fascists: people empathize with them, weirdly more often than actually incredibly good characters.

Hey. don't talk about Dukat that way.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i would have liked to see them go full body horror and have a doctor who develops teleporter editing surgery, so in essence you set off a self-propagating algorithm on the buffer that essentially 'edits' out the cancer, then beams you back

everyone is telling him it is dangerous and will not work, so he tries it on himself. at first everything seems fine, then poo poo starts going wrong. eventually it mutates him into a robocop-melting-executive level mess

wait no, that's basically just the fly. carry on.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh boy can't wait for the incredible exploits of the genocidal cannibal nazi from the mirror universe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bobby Deluxe posted:

6/9 statistical probability

this whole episode is a lot to take in

Appropriate season/ep number for the one chick in the episode is begging for everyone to have sex with her, and is also Divatox from Power Rangers.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Appropriate season/ep number for the one chick in the episode is begging for everyone to have sex with her, and is also Divatox from Power Rangers.
i kind of wish they had done more with the negatives of her condition - she seemed to have poor impulse control and everyone else had their drawbacks

although now i am on 6/10 the magnificent ferenghi

a) lol

b) ok it took me way too long to realise they were doing the magnificent seven

c) fuckin keevan

d) aaah its iggy pop!

e) palm of the hand! every time!

f) well that complicates things

g) weekend at keevans

h) oh my god i want to watch this another 6 times

i) you cant just leave keevan there!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

g) weekend at keevans

Reading this destroyed me, I'm hyperventilating

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

simplefish posted:

"Computer, one alcodol, jello-shot, fruity."

I'll have a Pina Colodo. It helps with my Colodoscopy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if Odo would be able to mimic flavours? He says in one episode that he has no sense of taste or smell. Maybe starfleet could have skipped the blood tests and just licked all personnel to find changeling infiltrators???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You could just carry around a thing of smelling salts, or some other chemical that the body has an uncontrollable reaction to.