Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
H'aanit's monsters are a toolbox, not a power option. Keep an eye out for monsters that de/buff stats, heal, or attack an entire side.

For attackers, look for polearms, staves, and daggers especially since these have no or few easily accessible attack all options.

The damage falloff on monsters is fairly harsh but utility is eternal. There's a monster with "Great Healing Mist" I got in her Chapter 2 that was useful all the way through the true final boss (turns out 1000 HP plus another 1000 per boost party healing is great to have in your back pocket in a pinch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
About to start this after getting ready to take a long (long) break from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. What's the best party member to start with in terms of story with skills and ability a very distant second? Who seems to be the main character here?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Tressa and Cyrus are awesome.

Therion’s story makes a ton more sense if you start with him.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Olberic has the most traditional RPG story; starts off a little slow but really picks up. Primrose is easily the star of the first 2-3 chapters, but falls off a bit at the end.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Olberic has the most interesting story mechanics after Primrose. You can tell they spent more time on them since the plot isn't just cut scene, dungeon, cut scene.

His story is kinda lame but he's a neat character. Her story is one of the more interesting ones but it goes completely off the rails to the point of ruining all the groundwork.

I liked both the characterization of Cyrus and H'aanit. I think he has the better story of the two though hers is good. Her affectation can get trying and she's kinda useless.

Ophilia starts a bit dull but gets pretty good. I just don't really like her nor ever found her to be so useful.

Therion is ok but it's better if you start with him but he was probably my least favorite character since he's thematically antisocial.

Tressa is arguably the best one note character but what a note. That said her story is a bit dumb. I really like Alfyn as a character and his story is fairly touching, plus he's incredibly useful.

So go Cyrus or Alfyn. Maybe Olberic or Ophilia.

Thematically Tressa or Alfyn are the main characters in my opinion. More the former than the latter but just by a smidge.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I totally forgot that Ophilia has incredibly strong Chapters 3 and 4.

Shame about her Chapters 1 and 2.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I totally forgot that Ophilia has incredibly strong Chapters 3 and 4.

Shame about her Chapters 1 and 2.

They're really good but the fact she never gets past Cleric Goody Two Shoes is a bit dull. Funnily enough Primrose's motto applies itself better to Ophilia.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
All Ophelia's chapters are good for what they're trying to be. Her chapter 2 is just a nice sweet story, and that makes what happens next even better.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There is a very slight advantage to starting with Therion, insofar as his is the only path action that you can use outside of towns. Some dungeons have treasure chests that you can only open with Therion in your party. It's important to be honest with yourself: even if every single one of those treasure chests were empty, you'd still want to open them all. By starting with Therion, you won't need to switch party members in the middle of a dungeon in order to open the chest.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

There is a very slight advantage to starting with Therion, insofar as his is the only path action that you can use outside of towns. Some dungeons have treasure chests that you can only open with Therion in your party. It's important to be honest with yourself: even if every single one of those treasure chests were empty, you'd still want to open them all. By starting with Therion, you won't need to switch party members in the middle of a dungeon in order to open the chest.

Honestly people make a big deal about this but 9 times out of 10 the chest is super close to the entrance and the dungeons are almost never large. So backtracking is not only definitely possible but easily done. Considering the game requires a basic grind it doesn't hurt to do so, especially if you've been using the less random battle scholar skill. I had no problem not keeping the guy in my party. I tended to keep members in for as long as it took me to get their party chats and then I'd swap them out meaning my dungeon team was always quite random.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Dishwasher posted:

About to start this after getting ready to take a long (long) break from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. What's the best party member to start with in terms of story with skills and ability a very distant second? Who seems to be the main character here?

Olberic and Cyrus in my opinion have very consistently strong stories, and both are very good picks to begin your Octopath Traveler experience with, skill- and ability-wise.

Tressa also has an ideal skillset to start off with but has the tamest and least interesting of the stories due to it's feel-good nature (and if you go with Olberic or Cyrus, Tressa is right next to you anyways), though I don't find that to be a bad thing when you've got seven other stories with more stake behind them (since).

Primrose has a very strong story at the beginning but some... happenings at the end of Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 kind of ruined it for me (to the point where I will do her Chapter 4 first all the time so that I have all the other, better Chapter 4s to look forward to) and Primrose herself is probably the hardest one to start out with due to her class and her stats.

Ophilia's story is kind of unremarkable (but decent) up until Chapter 3 and 4 which is kind of the opposite to Primrose's situation. She also has by far the best Chapter 4 Boss Battle out of them in my opinion and these qualities makes me rate her story very highly despite her beginning chapters.

I think H'aanit's story is kind of... unremarkable compared to most of the others, but otherwise it tells a solid, decent story about a mentor/apprentice relationship from beginning to end. H'aanit's skillset and abilities however leave something to be desired though she'll do fine as a starter.

Therion's story is just solid all around. The relationship between him and the other major characters in his story is something I loved seeing and thus I got really invested in it by the end, though I think it falls a bit flat compared to Olberic and Cyrus. He's also handy to have around for convenience for purple chests, but the contents of those chests are not required to get by and Therion's abilities are specialized to take on single, strong foes, which can be a bit tedious when you're starting out.

Alfyn's Chapter 2 and 3 are the high points of his story, but his Chapter 1 and 4 are also very decent and helps round out his story IMO. His Concoct Talent also makes him the best character skill- and ability-wise in the entire game and he's another very good pick for beginning the game with, but since you said you value story the most, I can't recommend him that much.

tl;dr: Olberic or Cyrus are the ones I'd recommend since it's very hard to go wrong with either, whether you want a good story or a skillset that's very good.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ophelia’s Story is boring as hell, I think I fell asleep during her opening cutscene

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Ophelia's story has a slow start but it picks up. Ophelia's surprising magic tank powers more than make up for her appearances and saccharine personality.

And while her job outfit game is not as OP as Tressa's, I adore how in-character they all are. Her little veil as dancer and bunny ears as runemaster :3:

Speaking of which, yes I made Ophelia as my runemaster. Thanks for the sidestep strat to beat that rear end in a top hat, everyone. So her initial swipes are still small and then there's a MIGHTY STROKE OF MAGIC to ruin all enemies. And doing transfer rune to anyone with multi-enemy attacks? :perfect:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ophilia's Scholar outfit is also adorable.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Sister Ophilia is friggin' outrageous!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought Provoke was useless but I just now realized it could be used to move people who were blocking the doors into their houses. I got some pretty good items this way.

Also I did Tressa’s first chapter and I still don’t know what the deal is with her. She’s basically Vaan from FFXII.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I'd appreciate some help. I'm no doubt super over-worrying about this, but I fear wasting JP for some reason.

I haven't really been using the alternate jobs for skills, just the extra weapon types. I've done all the chapter 3s but none of the 4s yet. I have starseer and sorcerer, but not the other two advanced jobs yet.

What support skills should I get for everyone, and which other divines are worth it? I figure up to the divine, it doesn't matter much in terms of JP cost.

code:
Tressa   lv 58, 47.2kJP
Primrose lv 44,  5.6kJP, has divine
Olberic  lv 48, 18.8kJP
Ophilia  lv 45,  8.0kJP, has divine
H'aanit  lv 41, 18.7kJP
Cyrus    lv 56, 42.9kJP
Alfyn    lv 41, 17.6kJP
Therion  lv 41, 17.6kJP

Pardot fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 10, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You'll want to Max everyone up to their personal divine. They'll forever have their own class skills no matter their secondary job.

As for what skills matter it depends on the role the character has. Most people like the final Cleric trait since it lets you stack health. The Hunter's last trait gives you a free second action which can be a godsend on your support characters especially Alfyn. The last warrior trait is necessary if you ever want to do more than 9999 damage in one go.

Start maxing by what you have and go from there.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Pardot posted:

I'd appreciate some help. I'm no doubt super over-worrying about this, but I fear wasting JP for some reason.

I haven't really been using the alternate jobs for skills, just the extra weapon types. I've done all the chapter 3s but none of the 4s yet. I have starseer and sorcerer, but not the other two advanced jobs yet.

What support skills should I get for everyone, and which other divines are worth it? I figure up to the divine, it doesn't matter much in terms of JP cost.

code:
Tressa   lv 58, 47.2kJP
Primrose lv 44,  5.6kJP, has divine
Olberic  lv 48, 18.8kJP
Ophilia  lv 45,  8.0kJP, has divine
H'aanit  lv 41, 18.7kJP
Cyrus    lv 56, 42.9kJP
Alfyn    lv 41, 17.6kJP
Therion  lv 41, 17.6kJP

Physical Prowess from Warmaster and Elemental Edge from Runelord are both really nice. Always on Attack/Defense Up for physical/magical is incredibly potent and efficiently applying even one of those statuses to multiple characters requires some setup.
Surpassing Power (Warrior) is basically mandatory after a certain point unless you abuse multi-hit skills (of which there are not many good ones).
Saving Grace and Patience are also always useful (Cleric and Hunter) as they convert directly into "extra HP" and "extra turns", the most important resources come endgame (BP you say? BP is turns; turns are BP -- just ask your stock of pomegranates).
Extra Experience and Hard Worker are probably the best things you can put on while in actual "still doing story" territory since bonus EXP and JP is obviously quite handy; you'll find those on Warmaster and Starseer.
BP Eater from Starseer is the only "mixed attacker" power boost, and it stacks with status buffs.

All that being said, JP is not especially scarce. Buy what you want, when you want. Come endgame, any ability is only a battle or two in the Forest of Purgation away from being learned.

EDIT: As for Divine Skills, there aren't really many bad ones. I'd say the Scholar and Sorcerer ones are of the most limited value (since anyone with access to them would rather spend 3 BP on unleashing nuclear offense). Warrior and Hunter have the most raw power in a single physical attack on one/multiple targets. Cleric, Dancer, and Apothecary have incredibly strong boosts that can let you pull off insanely awesome plays. Merchant and Thief are a little meh, I'll admit, but they do allow a power option in a skillset that otherwise might lack one. Warmaster, Runelord, and Starseer all have hilariously potent Divine Skills that are well worth the time and effort to obtain: it's quite obvious why you only get limited to one of them.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 10, 2019

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Get everyone classed at Merchant at some point so you can nab that sweet, sweet SP Saver passive (final passive). Combine that with Dancer's Second Wind (or an accessory that gives you passive SP) and you'll rarely worry about SP costs.

I also support having your favorite traveler(s) get Patience (Hunter's final passive). 25% chance to get a free turn (no BP gain though) has saved me God knows how many times.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Therion doesn't care, he fills his SP super fast with Steal SP.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Thanks everyone, super helpful! :buddy:

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Am I missing out on any character’s stories based on my choice of first hero or do I eventually get to see all the chapters for each hero regardless?

I am about 3.5 hours into the game with H’aanit and wondering if I should start over with someone else.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You get to see them all. There's nothing limiting you. The only thing is - whoever you picked first cannot be removed from your party until you finish their whole story.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just make sure you tame some decent stuff from the surrounding area when you get to Haanit’s Chapter 2, it’s the one time where you’re practically required to do it, and it’s right around the time Linde’s usefulness drops like a brick.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m halfway through Olberic’s opening cutscene and I kinda wish I had picked him as my main, seeems like a bamf

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Your main doesn't affect anything except that you're locked into using them until you finish their story.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I know. And I am sick of hearing “Letn the Hunten Beginnen”

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I guess Cyrus is taking runemaster levels to get elemental edge to keep Sorcerering.

Is the final boss something I'm likely to unlock blind, or do I say gently caress it and youtube it? I've done half the chapter 4s (Cyrus, Primrose (what the gently caress), Tressa, H'aanit)

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
You definitely want to read a guide for it. The steps are very oblique.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The requirements are everyone’s Chapter 4 cleared, and a bunch of seemingly unrelated sidequests (some of which start outside of towns), so you’re probably going to want a guide, yeah.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I know. And I am sick of hearing “Letn the Hunten Beginnen”
Totally fair.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is the final boss something I'm likely to unlock blind, or do I say gently caress it and youtube it? I've done half the chapter 4s (Cyrus, Primrose (what the gently caress), Tressa, H'aanit)
Highly unlikely, as beyond finishing all eight Chapter 4s, you have to do a bunch of specific Side Stories they have no indication of being connected.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm glad everyone is coming around to Olberic and his seinen ways.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

The requirements are everyone’s Chapter 4 cleared, and a bunch of seemingly unrelated sidequests (some of which start outside of towns), so you’re probably going to want a guide, yeah.

You can understand it as 100% the game sidequest-wise, since if you do that you'll surely get it. If you plan on doing all the optional dungeons you'll most likely unlock as well.

I didn't beat the final boss, I was bit underleveled and it seemed like a hassle, but it really is for someone who really likes this game.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Battled Dreisang (the Archmagus). Once I finally got the all-party Elemental Reflect +9 set up correctly, I couldn't help but say "Stop hitting yourself" as the reflects chipped away at his HP. So satisfying to chip away at such speed.

At the moment I have Cyrus in his Sorcerer supreme (~OC do not steal!~) outfit. I assume he likes it best because of the stiff high collar now on his cape. But really he had the most JP to burn from constant grinding.

Grinding H'aanit's Chapter 4 dungeon right now. Probably going to hit up the Starseer shrine after this.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m assuming that the game expects you to wander around finding secondary job shrines after you’ve completed everybody’s chapter 1? Only a few of my characters are at or above lv 20 and I have all the starting job classes as secondaries except dancer. I guess I just have to grind until I’m ready to start doing chapter 2s?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m assuming that the game expects you to wander around finding secondary job shrines after you’ve completed everybody’s chapter 1? Only a few of my characters are at or above lv 20 and I have all the starting job classes as secondaries except dancer. I guess I just have to grind until I’m ready to start doing chapter 2s?

You can definitely do your chapter 2s below the level recommendation, so if you don't feel like grinding, just head to a chapter 2 town and start working on the chapter.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Granted, as Mega64’s ongoing LP of the game recently showed, that can mean that your first couple of Ch. 2 bosses can take a while to beat down.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, as Mega64’s ongoing LP of the game recently showed, that can mean that your first couple of Ch. 2 bosses can take a while to beat down.

Or you murder them with soul stones and merchant summons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The pro strat of this game is to start with Therion, right?