Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
would really like an adaptation of the jaunt and the talisman, as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea the jaunt would make a good Black Mirror episode.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BiggerBoat posted:

All you need is some decent child actors and a loving street.

I was going to make a joke about finding more talented streets than child actors - but between Stranger Things, It, and This is Us the trend seems to have reversed itself.

I think the biggest hurdle today is that the premise blew up in dystopian YA fiction with Hunger Games, but the themes are much more adult.

So you've got to thread this impossible needle between traumatizing tweens and disappointing adult horror fans. There's not a lot of room to do that, and Frank Darabont would have been the best guy to try, but then it just never materialized.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RCarr posted:

Yea the jaunt would make a good Black Mirror episode.

buzz off troll

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i dont want to watch some lovely adaptation where it turns out if u stay awake u end up trapped inside ur cellphone

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Talisman would be so easily destroyed in adaptation. Wolf alone is such a fragile, perfect character, and I truly believe he would be focus grouped into an awful suggestion of the character we know.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sorry to upset you, geez.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RCarr posted:

Sorry to upset you, geez.

thank u for apologizing

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

scary ghost dog posted:

buzz off troll

That's a legit way to say how to film The Jaunt

Black Mirror may be tired and dull now but idk how else it could be made

Maybe Electric Dreams S2 portal boogaloo

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think I've said it before, but I just don't think "The Jaunt" would translate well to the screen. Too much of the horror is tied up in trying to imagine being trapped for nearly an infinity in a featureless void as nothing but a floating consciousness, deprived of all senses, and there's no real way to portray that in a visual medium.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

And still no "The Long Walk"

The easiest and least expensive adaptation someone could make

All you need is some decent child actors and a loving street.

I’ve had it in my mind to write a stage adaptation of the long walk for a long time. Using a Les Mis-style turntable so the actors could walk, talk, slow down and catch up and you could take them in and out of scene. It would be brutal on Garratty unless you got him off stage every once in awhile while focusing on other groups but I think it could be really cool.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

moths posted:

I was going to make a joke about finding more talented streets than child actors - but between Stranger Things, It, and This is Us the trend seems to have reversed itself.

I think the biggest hurdle today is that the premise blew up in dystopian YA fiction with Hunger Games, but the themes are much more adult.

So you've got to thread this impossible needle between traumatizing tweens and disappointing adult horror fans. There's not a lot of room to do that, and Frank Darabont would have been the best guy to try, but then it just never materialized.

Thinking about more, having cops/soldiers in uniform flat out murdering children would be tricky to film and you'd have to go out of your way not to make it gratuitous and harsh. I could certainly picture a huge backlash if were done distastefully and handled wrong.

navyjack posted:

I’ve had it in my mind to write a stage adaptation of the long walk for a long time. Using a Les Mis-style turntable so the actors could walk, talk, slow down and catch up and you could take them in and out of scene. It would be brutal on Garratty unless you got him off stage every once in awhile while focusing on other groups but I think it could be really cool.

That's a cool idea. You could scroll the background and use projections or 3d scenery to suggest motion and space.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

BiggerBoat posted:

Thinking about more, having cops/soldiers in uniform flat out murdering children would be tricky to film and you'd have to go out of your way not to make it gratuitous and harsh. I could certainly picture a huge backlash if were done distastefully and handled wrong.

That's a cool idea. You could scroll the background and use projections or 3d scenery to suggest motion and space.

I would just get together with 100 of my friends, make them walk, and shoot the slowest ones from my APC or whatever while streaming it onto the internets.

Could be a good viral marketing campaign.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

syscall girl posted:

That's a legit way to say how to film The Jaunt

Black Mirror may be tired and dull now but idk how else it could be made

Maybe Electric Dreams S2 portal boogaloo

just make it a biopic style about the invention of the jaunt and its various misuses with the kid as a frame.......like the story

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know if casting primarily PoC kids would help or hurt the film overall, but it would absolutely bring a dimension of privilege / wealth inequality WRT who would be desperate enough to risk their lives for "the Prize."

I mean, actual immigrant children are currently facing US troops* for a shot at something way less enticing than the Jaunt prize package. If good scifi is social commentary, I'd rather see them go that direction than a Black Mirror-esque lecture on tech dependence or consumerism.

(*and coyotes, human traffickers, militias, starvation, and everything else that can kill you between Texas and Venezuela.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

moths posted:

I don't know if casting primarily PoC kids would help or hurt the film overall, but it would absolutely bring a dimension of privilege / wealth inequality WRT who would be desperate enough to risk their lives for "the Prize."

I mean, actual immigrant children are currently facing US troops* for a shot at something way less enticing than the Jaunt prize package. If good scifi is social commentary, I'd rather see them go that direction than a Black Mirror-esque lecture on tech dependence or consumerism.

(*and coyotes, human traffickers, militias, starvation, and everything else that can kill you between Texas and Venezuela.)

Wow.

I hadn't even thought it about that far.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

moths posted:

youre confusing the jaunt with the long walk

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
not every piece of writing needs to be adapted into a visual medium

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

not every piece of writing needs to be adapted into a visual medium

It doesn’t need to but it should be.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

RCarr posted:

It doesn’t need to but it should be.

trumpwrong.gif

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Just finished Doctor Sleep and... ehhhh. It starts off strong. Dan and Abra are interesting enough, but the villains are so laughably lame that there's never any suspense. I found David Mitchell's Bone Clocks, which has an almost identical central conflict (good guys with psychic powers vs. not-vampires who eat innocent people for immortality) much more interesting.

It's been 20 years since I read The Shining, but I never felt like it was begging for a sequel, which is fine because most of the connections here are really superficial; you could turn it into a standalone novel with a prologue and a find-and-replace.

I'm interested to see how they'll handle the movie; if they'll try to capitalize on the sequel factor or let it be its own thing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lester Shy posted:

Just finished Doctor Sleep and... ehhhh. It starts off strong. Dan and Abra are interesting enough, but the villains are so laughably lame that there's never any suspense. I found David Mitchell's Bone Clocks, which has an almost identical central conflict (good guys with psychic powers vs. not-vampires who eat innocent people for immortality) much more interesting.

It's been 20 years since I read The Shining, but I never felt like it was begging for a sequel, which is fine because most of the connections here are really superficial; you could turn it into a standalone novel with a prologue and a find-and-replace.

I'm interested to see how they'll handle the movie; if they'll try to capitalize on the sequel factor or let it be its own thing.

Totally agreed the villains are well weak. It's kind of the point of them. Hilariously evil and also tragically flawed former human beings. Circus side show material, and who doesn't enjoy the circus?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ornamented Death posted:

I think I've said it before, but I just don't think "The Jaunt" would translate well to the screen. Too much of the horror is tied up in trying to imagine being trapped for nearly an infinity in a featureless void as nothing but a floating consciousness, deprived of all senses, and there's no real way to portray that in a visual medium.

It would be hilarious if it was a 3 hour movie. The first half hour is the setup (with some flashbacks of the Juant being made) until they do the actual juant. The next 2.5 hours would be nothing but a black screen (turn off all lights in the theater and zero sound) until the last minute reveal. It might be not 'longer than they think' infinity, but that 2.5 hours would feel like infinity (of course everyone would get up and walk out after 10 minutes). I am surprised some artist hasn't tried something in that same vein.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’m about 200 pages into The Shining and it’s ominous as hell. I love it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

RCarr posted:

I’m about 200 pages into The Shining and it’s ominous as hell. I love it.

What events have happened so far?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Listening to the audio book of It has kinda made me resent the 2017 movie a bit. The novel just cries out for a 12 episode series with the budget to do it justice, and with the quality of some TV shows these days and services like Netflix it could be great.

Even the 1990 TV movie felt to me that a better job was done with the kids' stories and the wrongness of Derry. The excellent soundtrack was better, too.

Like The Apocalyptic Rock Fight, set to some rock song in the new movie. Gutted.

I felt the same way. Despite having less screen time, then in the movie, the kids in the mini felt more fleshed out. Plus Curry did a far superior job as Pennywise.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hence my dead wish for a series. I also wish they'd stuck with a big baggy clown suit as in the novel, rather than the white one from the movie.

For me, one of main problems was the movie Pennywise just felt so ... over designed? The TV movie proved that the simpler design was far more evocative.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What 'events' even happen in the Shining? They move to the hotel, Danny learns about Shining, they get snowed in, Jack goes crazy

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

A Typical Goon posted:

What 'events' even happen in the Shining? They move to the hotel, Danny learns about Shining, they get snowed in, Jack goes crazy

Wasps’ nest, room 217, the topiary chase, catatonia/taking Danny to the doctor, Jack’s research into the hotel’s history, his angry call to Ullman, all the insane poo poo at the climax

It’s a much busier book than it seems. Have you read it? It’s good!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Danny just got stung by the wasps in his bed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Talisman would be so easily destroyed in adaptation. Wolf alone is such a fragile, perfect character, and I truly believe he would be focus grouped into an awful suggestion of the character we know.

Chris Pratt as Wolf.

But fat Chris Pratt, not fit one.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Chris Pratt as Wolf.

But fat Chris Pratt, not fit one.

Now I want to see were-Pratt shredding people at the Sunlight Home.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I too want to see Chris Pratt shoved into a metal box and left in a field until he goes nuts from heatstroke.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ConfusedUs posted:

Now I want to see were-Pratt shredding people at the Sunlight Home.

given what we know about Pratt's church, he'd probably work better as Sunlight Gardner instead

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

given what we know about Pratt's church, he'd probably work better as Sunlight Gardner instead

Is he some kind of weird fundamentalist now? I haven't heard anything.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ConfusedUs posted:

Is he some kind of weird fundamentalist now? I haven't heard anything.

He wasn't, but he's been slowly and steadily moving that direction.
His church is big on anti-gay stuff, kid-touching, and conversion therapy apparently.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Honestly the bit where Jack hits the bike with his drinking buddy

The book is much more about Jack than Danny

initially

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

God drat, The Shining is great. I'm at the point where Jack is checking out the snowmobile after Danny is assaulted in room 217.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Insomnia is his worst in my opinion, and it takes the title for longest book I've finished despite hating, at 700+ pages.

The little bald men reveals turned out to be so lame, anticlimactic. And the narrator just whined about dead his wife the whole time.

Song of Susannah was embarrassingly bad. I actually liked Wolves of Calla because it was just Seven Samurai. Dark Tower of course is polarizing.

Rose Madder was rough.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

escape artist posted:

Insomnia is his worst in my opinion, and it takes the title for longest book I've finished despite hating, at 700+ pages.

The little bald men reveals turned out to be so lame, anticlimactic. And the narrator just whined about dead his wife the whole time.

Song of Susannah was embarrassingly bad. I actually liked Wolves of Calla because it was just Seven Samurai. Dark Tower of course is polarizing.

Rose Madder was rough.

Agreed. I hated Insomnia. Boring and goes nowhere.

Song of Suannah is indeed the worst Dark Tower novel. I've re-read the series a couple times since it finished, and I just skipped Song the second time. It's so abd.

People like to rank the series, and while I have my own opinions, I'm generally happy any time someone has the first four books at the top in any order, followed by five and seven in either order, and six dead last.

My own personal ranking is 3(Wasteland), 1(Gunslinger), 4(Wizard/Glass), 2(Drawing), 5(Wolves), 7(Dark Tower), 6(Song).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Insomnia read like a loving Dean Koontz novel; to the point that when I recall reading it I assign it to Koontz in my head before recalling my mistake.

My vote for worst King book is "Cell", which I never bothered to even finish. Started off great and then fell so fast so hard it was like a failed space shuttle mission.

I like some of his less popular books (Rose Madder, Gerald's game, Cujo) but I think that has to do mostly with my preference for the author dialing the alien ghost interdimensional demon monster stuff and sort of making things a tad bit more grounded.

Rose Madder painting thing notwithstanding, but the majority of that book was Rose escaping an abusive husband. Usually King can write well enough to keep me turning the page at least, even when I'm not totally engaged.