Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TacoNight posted:

Why grind?

Hearthstone has the legendary card back for bragging, does MTGA have any ribbons or medals for making it?

You get 5 packs and 1000 gold for hitting mythic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The true reward is the friends you made along the way.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

uPen posted:

You get 5 packs and 1000 gold for hitting mythic.

It’s a very lovely prize for the work. Some guy did the math and assuming a 55% win rate it’s like 862 games to mythic.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It’s a very lovely prize for the work. Some guy did the math and assuming a 55% win rate it’s like 862 games to mythic.

That's why most people stop at Diamond, where I think the reward is like 4 packs and 1000 gold?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ok but you get over a thousand gold a day for nothing so clearly that isn't the real prize, which will probably be pro tour invites eventually.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Ok but you get over a thousand gold a day for nothing so clearly that isn't the real prize, which will probably be pro tour invites eventually.

It's the only reward they advertised, but it might also be super low because this isn't an official season, either. I would guess Mythic is required to play in the million dollar event at PAX East.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

There will never be pro tour invites for Bo1.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

A Moose posted:

There will never be pro tour invites for Bo1.

There will almost assuredly be a path to pro tour invites through Arena.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
It's really frustrating that the Bo3 draft doesn't count for ranked. I've been doing that almost exclusively because the rewards are so much better and I think I've 5-X'ed the last 4 or 5.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/mtg_arena/status/1084903562784567296

- Duplicate protection is being implemented for rares and mythics. If you own every rare/mythic from a set then rares will convert to 20 gems and mythics 40
- In draft if you already have 4 copies it will convert to gems.
- BO3 Ranked coming on Feb 1st

Full article with more detail
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-beta-january-2019-01-14

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Tainen posted:

- Duplicate protection is being implemented for rares and mythics.

loving FINALLY.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

For Mythic/Rare ICRs you'll just get gems for duplicates, not a replacement card.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tainen posted:

https://twitter.com/mtg_arena/status/1084903562784567296

- Duplicate protection is being implemented for rares and mythics. If you own every rare/mythic from a set then rares will convert to 20 gems and mythics 40

LOL everyone hollering that they'd make it as parsimonious as humanly possible, please claim your winnings.

Opening your 5th of a given mythic gives you... 5% of a bo1 draft entry. :toot:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Do you still get a wildcard of the matching rarity or did they take that away?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Booster Packs (from the Store, Weekly Wins, etc.):
If you open a Rare or Mythic Rare card that you don't have four copies of, you receive the card. Easy enough.
If you would open a Rare or Mythic Rare card that you already have four copies of, the system will automatically replace it with a different card of the same rarity from that set.
If you've collected all the Rares and/or Mythic Rares in the set, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for Rares, 40 Gems for Mythic Rares.

Limited Packs (Drafts and Sealed):
Duplicate protection is not applied when you open a 14-card pack in a Limited Event - you will still see and be able to pick any Rare or Mythic Rare card, even if you already have four copies of it in your collection.
Once you have finished with your Draft picks or opened your Sealed packs, the system will convert any extra copies you may have received. Rares/Mythic Rares will become Gems, and Commons/Uncommons will go towards the Vault.
Duplicate cards will still be a part of your limited card pool for deckbuilding and participating in the event.

Individual Card Rewards (ICRs):
If you receive a Rare/Mythic Rare ICR you already have four copies of, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for Rares, 40 Gems for Mythic Rares.
If your receive an Uncommon ICR that's upgraded to a Rare or Mythic Rare, and you already already have four copies of the upgraded ICR, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for Rares, 40 Gems for Mythic Rares.
If you receive an Uncommon ICR and you already have four copies of it, the card will go towards the Vault.

Ranked Constructed Best-of-Three
Okay, so technically this won't happen until the next preseason starts on January 31st, but it's coming! We're planning to make a number of changes to Preseason 2 based on your feedback and the data you have provided, but the one thing we wanted to announce today is that we will be adding Constructed Best-of-Three to our list of ranked events once the new Preseason starts. Other changes you should expect are adjustments to our matchmaking algorithms (specifically for Ranked Draft), as well as updates to the progression system for advancing Ranks.

We'll have a full breakdown of what we learned during Preseason 1 and what changes are coming in Preseason 2 in a few weeks.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

LOL everyone hollering that they'd make it as parsimonious as humanly possible, please claim your winnings.

That's only if you have every mythic in the set.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

For Mythic/Rare ICRs you'll just get gems for duplicates, not a replacement card.

For someone who drafts very heavily, this is effectively going to be a pretty good discount (as they might regularly expect 80 gems back from duplicate rares and mythics).

I don't hit duplicate rares/mythics often enough to really care, but to the extent I do I think I'd rather have gems than other rares.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

resistentialism posted:

That's only if you have every mythic in the set.

You know what, I went off half-cocked and reading further this is actually... pretty good duplicate protection?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Star Man posted:

Do you still get a wildcard of the matching rarity or did they take that away?

They said there is no change to the rate that wildcards appear.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So uh, are they not going to drastically cut down on rewards for this duplicate protection system or what? Because when they tried to murder the constructed event reward system and got torn to poo poo over it, generally it was thought to be the cost for solving the 5th card problem.

which is of course patent nonsense and only really passes the smell test to someone with brain worms willing to give every advantage and all charity to a corporation trying to gently caress people out of as much money as possible

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

You know what, I went off half-cocked and reading further this is actually... pretty good duplicate protection?

Agreed, but I also think it’s funny that they threaten to nerf it again later in the same paragraph.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I mean the server gnomes who craft the cards that everyone gets can only work so hard. If you have them making more cards as rewards for events then something has to give, right? Like either they need more money to hire more of them or something or scale back some other rewards. It's not like the cards can be created out of thin air for no cost.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hellsau posted:

So uh, are they not going to drastically cut down on rewards for this duplicate protection system or what? Because when they tried to murder the constructed event reward system and got torn to poo poo over it, generally it was thought to be the cost for solving the 5th card problem.
They did murder the constructed event system (actually much harder than the zero sum system they proposed previously), they just did it in a way that people don't understand this time. It's buried in this thread:
https://forums.mtgarena.com/forums/threads/44953

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's really generous and exactly what people asked for, naturally there's gonna be an outrage

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

They did murder the constructed event system (actually much harder than the zero sum system they proposed previously), they just did it in a way that people don't understand this time. It's buried in this thread:

wow it's cool that they make large economic changes and spread them out over multiple threads so nobody knows what the gently caress is going on

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

"murder" is an extremely strong word

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you're describing the previously proposed changes as "murder" this would also qualify since it's significantly harsher.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

If you're describing the previously proposed changes as "murder" this would also qualify since it's significantly harsher.

The previous changes would have just removed all individual card rewards from events, which would mean that there's literally no reason to play constructed events unless you had an astronomical winrate, which would clearly be unsustainable as lower winrate players stopped joining the queues since they would always lose gold for no gain. I can't be assed to finish reading and parsing that second Arena Forums thread and will just wait until it's implemented and someone combines all the information in a distilled form, but the first announced change was one of those straight garbage moves that WotC does sometimes to try to make their second announced change look generous by comparison.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Hellsau posted:

The previous changes would have just removed all individual card rewards from events, which would mean that there's literally no reason to play constructed events unless you had an astronomical winrate, which would clearly be unsustainable as lower winrate players stopped joining the queues since they would always lose gold for no gain. I can't be assed to finish reading and parsing that second Arena Forums thread and will just wait until it's implemented and someone combines all the information in a distilled form, but the first announced change was one of those straight garbage moves that WotC does sometimes to try to make their second announced change look generous by comparison.

good news! you now need a mere 80% winrate in comp events to receive a guaranteed rare icr, and your chances of having one upgrade otherwise are about 7% of what they were previously

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The previous change also proposed increasing gold rewards so that events gave out on average as much as you put in.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hauki posted:

good news! you now need a mere 80% winrate in comp events to receive a guaranteed rare icr, and your chances of having one upgrade otherwise are about 7% of what they were previously

Or you can play Bo3 like god intended

Bizarre how people wanted Bo3 to be emphasized but now that it is, they want Bo1 back

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bo3 event has also been hugely nerfed and won't be worth playing anymore.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

odiv posted:

I mean the server gnomes who craft the cards that everyone gets can only work so hard. If you have them making more cards as rewards for events then something has to give, right? Like either they need more money to hire more of them or something or scale back some other rewards. It's not like the cards can be created out of thin air for no cost.

In order for a FTP game to make money, it needs to make playing for free frustrating. Cards aren't the product; relieving frustration is the product. You can't just give that away.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bo3 event has also been hugely nerfed and won't be worth playing anymore.

It's still 2-2 for your deposit back and a 15-5-5 rate on rare upgrades. 3-2 for 1500 gold and 100-15-5. Unless you can't maintain 50% winrate in Bo3 there is no reason to grind anything else.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

jmzero posted:

In order for a FTP game to make money, it needs to make playing for free frustrating. Cards aren't the product; relieving frustration is the product. You can't just give that away.
So your thesis is that Arena isn't making any money right now? Or that it's impossible for WotC to make decisions that have negative financial repercussions? Help me out here.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

jmzero posted:

Counterpoint: if your game is too frustrating, people will stop playing it. The chance of this increases exponentially for every competitor in existence.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yawgmoth posted:

Counterpoint: if your game is too frustrating, people will stop playing it. The chance of this increases exponentially for every competitor in existence.

yeah, but he's correct on what the things hasbro is weighing and what they're not. their job is to hit the sweet spot where you, the free player, want to keep playing the game and be content for the whales while being just irritated enough that you consider spending some money. it's not to make you, the free player, happy.

this is why, of course, most free to play games are kinda lovely once you get through the intro part and into the "irritate you into spending money" part. but if you don't understand that and act like the problem is if the rewards cost money or not you're not gonna understand why hasbro is doing what it's doing or be able to evaluate if they're doing a good job at it or not.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Owlbear Camus posted:

lol

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

flatluigi posted:

Booster Packs (from the Store, Weekly Wins, etc.):
If you open a Rare or Mythic Rare card that you don't have four copies of, you receive the card. Easy enough.
If you would open a Rare or Mythic Rare card that you already have four copies of, the system will automatically replace it with a different card of the same rarity from that set.
If you've collected all the Rares and/or Mythic Rares in the set, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for Rares, 40 Gems for Mythic Rares.

Limited Packs (Drafts and Sealed):
Duplicate protection is not applied when you open a 14-card pack in a Limited Event - you will still see and be able to pick any Rare or Mythic Rare card, even if you already have four copies of it in your collection.
Once you have finished with your Draft picks or opened your Sealed packs, the system will convert any extra copies you may have received. Rares/Mythic Rares will become Gems, and Commons/Uncommons will go towards the Vault.
Duplicate cards will still be a part of your limited card pool for deckbuilding and participating in the event.

Individual Card Rewards (ICRs):
If you receive a Rare/Mythic Rare ICR you already have four copies of, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for Rares, 40 Gems for Mythic Rares.
If your receive an Uncommon ICR that's upgraded to a Rare or Mythic Rare, and you already already have four copies of the upgraded ICR, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for Rares, 40 Gems for Mythic Rares.
If you receive an Uncommon ICR and you already have four copies of it, the card will go towards the Vault.

Ranked Constructed Best-of-Three
Okay, so technically this won't happen until the next preseason starts on January 31st, but it's coming! We're planning to make a number of changes to Preseason 2 based on your feedback and the data you have provided, but the one thing we wanted to announce today is that we will be adding Constructed Best-of-Three to our list of ranked events once the new Preseason starts. Other changes you should expect are adjustments to our matchmaking algorithms (specifically for Ranked Draft), as well as updates to the progression system for advancing Ranks.

We'll have a full breakdown of what we learned during Preseason 1 and what changes are coming in Preseason 2 in a few weeks.

Wait.. This is actually good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jmzero posted:

:wrong:

The most popular game in existence right now offers the entire base game for free right from the start.