Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

i feel like more stories could use some good introspection

imagine dad of boy if you could hear kratos' thoughts

That would have ruined it op. Just absolutely overdid it to the point of being tiresome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
kratos in the gut of some god or something or doing a thing with a sword "hmm i wonder what i will have for dinner"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Snooze Cruise posted:

there are multiple movies with multiple internal monologues and you seem to be implying that narration can't be internal monologue... which it can lol

I'm not at all. I'm saying that a lot of anime has an internal monologue from many different characters in a way that's unique to them and that same way is used a lot in FF13 and can be pretty annoying, especially when you'd prefer they get on with it (or what they're saying feels stupid and overblown like in FF13).

corn in the bible posted:

You, uh, haven't seen a lot of noir huh

I have, yes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Taear posted:

I have, yes.

Double Indemnity is a pretty sexy film, huh.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
There was something disturbingly familiar about the letter before me. The handwriting all pretty curves.

"You are in an internet forum post, Max."

The truth was a burning green crack through my brain.

Endless arguments over the semantics of storytelling in different forms and genres of media. Performative ironic detachment from things that I interact with and discuss on a daily basis. The blind, bullheaded assertion that the things I don't like can all be wrapped up into a tidy box and labelled as "anime".

I was in an internet forum post. Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Colonel posted:

There was something disturbingly familiar about the letter before me. The handwriting all pretty curves.

Endless arguments over the semantics of storytelling in different forms and genres of media. Performative ironic detachment from things that I interact with and discuss on a daily basis. The blind, bullheaded assertion that the things I don't like can all be wrapped up into a tidy box and labelled as "anime".

I was in an internet forum post. Funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of.

lmfao

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Srice posted:

Since books are good I can only conclude that this means anime is good too.

Mind Game is Real Literature.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's weird that you just assume a description of something as "like anime" means "this thing is poo poo".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

Mind Game is Real Literature.

Absolutely.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mind game's cool though i'm not sure whether i like it or walk on girl more as a yuasa movie

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I just realized the actual on brand post would be "Jealousy by Scarlet Beriko is Real Literature" but if you edit your posts it makes them ugly.

I haven't seen walk on girl yet :rip:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
post your favorite anime themes mine is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG0ykzh47q8

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've been listening to the 1999 hunter x hunter yorknew op. it's a good song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3do4zr_Gto

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Taear posted:

It's weird that you just assume a description of something as "like anime" means "this thing is poo poo".
Maybe if you hadn't used the ridiculous term "anime introspection" with clear derision we wouldn't be here.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Amppelix posted:

Maybe if you hadn't used the ridiculous term "anime introspection" with clear derision we wouldn't be here.

You're the one who read derision into it. I don't think it's ridiculous at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Getsuya posted:

13 ended up with a pretty okay story but 13-2 ruins it retroactively so

13-2's story rules. The gameplay is the weak part due to the pokemon. Caius was right.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

are fatal strikes in vesperia just a random chance each time you do an arte or are there specific combo routes that lead to them?

i can't help but think of tales combat in fighting game terms but I'm not sure if that's helping or leading me astray in this one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have not gotten back to the point where I have Fatal Strikes in Vesperia because I didn't actually have a lot of time to play over the weekend, but as I recall each one of your artes is tied to one of 3 different Fatal Strikes types and repeatedly hitting those over and over is more likely to trigger it, and also certain enemies are weak to specific types.

I'm sure I'm missing some detail or something unique to the DE version specifically.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOHASrWODNo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chumbler posted:

13-2's story rules. The gameplay is the weak part due to the pokemon. Caius was right.

Here Mike, this will explain everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERGrMgoQlg8

I wish only that I could find a recording of this sequence from near the end of the game. 50 hours of random 2-second cutscene snippets jammed together to explain "the story so far...." I beat the game and I still don't understand the story.

I just remember throwing a Moogle and Caius and a bad pun contest.

The game owns.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The part where Serah gets so upset at Hope that he hears her in the past and decides to not build the proto fal'cie

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Tales of Woe posted:

are fatal strikes in vesperia just a random chance each time you do an arte or are there specific combo routes that lead to them?

i can't help but think of tales combat in fighting game terms but I'm not sure if that's helping or leading me astray in this one.

Phantasium posted:

I have not gotten back to the point where I have Fatal Strikes in Vesperia because I didn't actually have a lot of time to play over the weekend, but as I recall each one of your artes is tied to one of 3 different Fatal Strikes types and repeatedly hitting those over and over is more likely to trigger it, and also certain enemies are weak to specific types.

I'm sure I'm missing some detail or something unique to the DE version specifically.

Yeah that's about right. More specifically, each individual hit of an Arte can have a different Fatal Strike type (usually depends on if it tosses the enemy up (blue), knocks the enemy down (red), or just pushes them (green), but not necessarily), and the game gives you the general idea behind the Arte in the Arte description window (the little arrow in the top-middle, next to the element symbol if the Arte is elemental).

If you check the Battle Book and scroll down to "FS and Enemy Types", it and the following few entries they give you a general idea on what Fatal Strike color is effective on what enemy, but of course all enemies in the game have separately coded fatal strike resistances that may or may not match up with those given in the battle book.

The best thing is to just use every color once and see how much of the bar it takes off, and usually that's the color to go for if you just want quick kills. If you want to go for the bonuses for whatever reason, please just look at the data, you'll never figure it out otherwise.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
This one kinda slaps too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sno8OufwuE

found out it's super easy to get all three ending routes in Romancing Saga so I guess I'll dump another ten hours of my life into getting all the weapons and leveling them to 15

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

All of the artes have an arrow effect applied to them like up down and right I think and if you use enough of one type you can wear down a bar on some enemies lifebar and get a fatal strike.

edit: One day I'll learn to read every post before responding.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

Lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i like the second birdy the mighty op where it goes SAY GOODBYE oh wait we are suppose to do joke answers uhh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foFw7djyELc

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't think of a favorite right this second but I really like these two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbE_VVuW6QA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGoHzoZ2OI0

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Some video games/anime commit the cardinal sin of making you read characters' thoughts when those thoughts aren't remotely interesting, but that problem can pop up anywhere. I've seen it in Western fantasy novels.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO4myLCfN-Y

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I finally finished chapter 2 of coldsteel 1 and I think it's finally grabbed me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CBctbw3c0s

i wish this show was any good because this op rules

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i started playing tokyo mirage sessions yesterday and am kind of surprised by how much i liked it and its anime opening

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

that whole game is fuckin' gold.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I finally finished chapter 2 of coldsteel 1 and I think it's finally grabbed me.

:cheers:

Once I finish extra ccc, I'm gonna be really tempted to import Cold Steel 3

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Looper posted:

i started playing tokyo mirage sessions yesterday and am kind of surprised by how much i liked it and its anime opening
Tokyo Mirage Sessons owns and I want it to come out on the Switch already so I can buy it a second time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I want it to come out on switch so the characters in it get put into the FE gacha

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

CS1+2 have their ups and downs pretty much the whole way through, but that's exactly where I decided it's a good series too. Sara owns

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/bandainamcoeu/status/648515012449972224?lang=en

https://twitter.com/Baffan/status/1084752012607176705

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Phantasium posted:

that whole game is fuckin' gold.

Add in the Neptunia 'skip animation' button for combat and you'd get there